HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Should Islanders Go After Ovy?

Old
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Sounds like another Yashin, so no, but that means Islanders will prolly do it.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
What if Caps took DiPietro off the Isles hands and bought him out next summer? Snow/Wang wouldn't have to waste money on someone not playing. So that would give the Isles Ovie at 5M in a weird way.
I Doubt Leonsis would be thrilled, but if its what it takes to win maybe

Ovechkin, Neuvirth

For

DiPietro
Reinhart
Niederreiter
Strome

It doesn't involve any current roster players either (well, not sure if RipDi is playing or not)

Wang has shown he's willing to buyout players: Yashin/Bates/Witt. I think Yashin had more $ on his contract then DiPietro does, when he was bought out. DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout is very doable. No need to gut the prospect pool, of the isles top 3 prospects because of a $1.5m buyout.

Isles are headed to Brooklyn soon and a stronger lease. They'll continue add their top youngsters.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Sounds like another Yashin, so no, but that means Islanders will prolly do it.
In pointblanks archives is a Botta NYI draft article. It was posted days before Jeff Carter was dealt from Philly. The isles were shopping their high lottery pick and demanding a young stud or potential young stud, using that pick as the key piece.

Botta wrote about Carter being available, that he was the type of high end talent they wanted and that he was only about 25/26 yrs old. But, Botta warned that the isles would probably pass because of his new longterm contract. They'd been burned on Yashin/DiPietro. Botta also questioned Carter's temperment, saying he had the rep for pouting. Botta questioned if the isles should add such a personality, to a young lockerroom.

So, I'm gonna disagree. Imo it's lame statement when some says 'it's the isles' to explain a move that makes no sense, that Snow's never made before.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this

I love Ovie but if he cant score with Backtrom, he cant score with Tavares

It would take a large amount to land him

Id rather Isles go after Perry or Ryan...
ovechkin isnt playing with backstrom

i think oates and hunter seperate them because they've picked up bad habits playing together in a run-and-gun system. besides putting them together would destroy our offensive depth, well at least last year

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

If the Caps were to find themselves in a position where they were to determine that Ovi no longer could be THE player they needed him to be and were paying for him to be, and would feel his departure were for the betterment of the franchise based solely on freeing itself of that contract - which may become a possible situation - then an Islander team heading towards Brooklyn and in an area with a fair amount of 'Russian' influence (I believe there are Russian communities in NYC and on Long Island [see Apple Core]) might be a destination that even Wang could envision bringing Ovi into.

There is no 'need' to do so for the Isles in light of not only their system, but also other big UFAs-to-be in the next few years. They can surely become a winner without adding a player of Ovechkin's quality.

But if Washington is motivated chiefly by the motives above more than anything else, and if Ovechkin is showing himself to solely be a 35-30-65 point type player there at this point, then I'm not sure who else in the league has the cap space AND could to top the very realistic offer below:
- Okposo
- Grabner
- their choice of de Haan or Donovan

That would be two players to immediately place in the line-up and who (together) would replace Ovechkin's production plus one defenseman well on his way to being a regular NHLer (de Haan questionable healthwise, but the more well-rounded and promising of the above-mentioned Dmen).

If this wouldn't get it done for the Isles, then Wang would have to walk away.

Simply can't be helping a conference rival be freed of such a contract and give them the farm in the process for a guy who, despite his first 5 years in the league, is showing little inclination of being anything more than 65-75 point player from here on out, with a currently downward trend.

There would be good reason to believe that he and Tavares could benefit each other and that their 'power' would allow a guy like Moulson to just concentrate on that which he does best.

This is about the only way I'd see an Ovechkin deal taking place between WAS and NYI.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
isles52480

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Doesn't matter when the isles move to Brooklyn. Ovie's not worth $9.5m when his stats are steadily declining:109 pts to 85 pts, then down to 65 pts.

Just because the isles have a bunch of promising prospects, doesn't mean Snow's going to morph into Milbury.
He might not be worth it statistically but there is a huge, and I mean huge, Russian population in Brooklyn. He would be worth it at the box office, and that really is Wang's bottom line.

isles52480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles52480 View Post
He might not be worth it statistically but there is a huge, and I mean huge, Russian population in Brooklyn. He would be worth it at the box office, and that really is Wang's bottom line.
Yes, I'm aware there is a huge Russian population in Brooklyn. That same huge Russian population, that could not have cared less that Yashin played for the isles.

We are more likely to see the Isles hype K. Kabanov on their NHL roster and draft
Nichushkin, with an eye towards Brooklyn, then take on a decling $9.5m per season Ovie.

109 pts to 65 pts, over the last 3 seasons. I don't think Snow/Wang touch that contract if he's offered as a salary dump.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
isles52480

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware there is a huge Russian population in Brooklyn. That same huge Russian population, that could not have cared less that Yashin played for the isles.

We are more likely to see the Isles hype K. Kabanov on their NHL roster and draft
Nichushkin, with an eye towards Brooklyn, then take on a decling $9.5m per season Ovie.

109 pts to 65 pts, over the last 3 seasons. I don't think Snow/Wang touch that contract if he's offered as a salary dump.
Yashin wasn't half the star Ovie is and the arena will be in their backyard.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

I bet ovi's just dying for Washington to ask him to waive his NTC for the islanders....

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yashin wasn't half the star Ovie is and the arena will be in their backyard.
When the isles aquired Yashin, he was coming off a 95 pt season. He looked like he'd be an elite player for yrs. It's 27 miles between Barclays Center and NVMC. It's not as if the isles, were asking Brooklyn's Russian population to trek out to Suffolk County.

Ovie has seen his numbers fall from 109 pts to 85 pts, to 65 pts over the last few seasons.
You know what will appeal to fans even more then a wildly overpaid, declining star? A winning product.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
The Islanders should not and will not go after Ovi.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
CREW99AW

And for the fans saying the isles need Ovie, to appeal to Brooklyn's Russian population... the isles are not looking to make their $ off the cheaper 15,000-15,500 cheap seats.

They want to make their $ off the 100 luxury and premium seats.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...omplex-issues/
Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
isles52480

Quote:
You know what will appeal to fans even more then a wildly overpaid, declining star? A winning product.

Quiet, Charles might hear you.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Quiet, Charles might hear you.
Since I believe Charles is interested in corporations, buying those 100 luxury suites, I don't think Charles needs to hear me.

Isles have been in a rebuild since the 2008 draft. With top youngsters looking nhl ready or close to it, I see no reason to deal them for Yashin II.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Hipster Doofus

Ovechkin-Nielsen-Grabner would be a fantastic line.

Strome, next two 1sts, Nelson, Ullstrom, Nino would all need to be available

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

As a die-hard Isles fan, I am not so quick to jump onto this idea.

A few reasons...

1) It is not a good idea to just assume Tavares and player "x" will click. Ovie and his huge personality could be an easy conflict and clubhouse issue. I could see the team dividing between the two.

2) The contract terms are not favorable to the Isles after having gone through Yashin and DiPietro. I don't see Wang or Snow venturing down this road again.

3) Nothing against Russian, their people, or even their players — all have proven to show greatness at various times. But it has not been a very good for the Islanders and Russian players. Nabokov and Nemchinov are the lone exceptions during their times. Putting so much into such an unknown? I wouldn't!

4) Giving up Strome and Nino at a minimum is what the caps would start with — and also one of Donovan, Mayfield, Hamonic. Giving up that much potential to a conference rival is not something that would interest me. There is no guarantee that Ovie would be any different here then he is their, and while there is no guarantee with the above mentioned prospects (save Hamonic) I am more inclined to NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES as Mike Milbury made by trading away young potential super stars for struggling players with fat contracts.

Call me crazy, but unless the Caps are giving him away (and even then) I am not a huge fan of the idea. Strome, Nino, Nelson, and defenders like Donovan, Mayfield, and even de Haan figure into the long term Isles plans for next season. The team is showing signs of growth and maturity. I don't want to see that screwed with.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
isles52480

Quote:
Since I believe Charles is interested in corporations, buying those 100 luxury suites, I don't think Charles needs to hear me.

Isles have been in a rebuild since the 2008 draft. With top youngsters looking nhl ready or close to it, I see no reason to deal them for Yashin II.
I in no way condone making a trade for Ovie from a hockey perspective, especially if it means giving up half of our best prospects.

All I'm saying is that from a business perspective, even with the 9.5 salary, it would be a no-brainer in Brooklyn.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
added to ur proposal
McDavid and Ekblad aren't in the same draft. McDavid is younger.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Sheva7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I just need to take a stab at what'd it would take for the Isles to land Ovi. Just for argument's sake:

NYI gets:
Ovechkin
+$2mil/year paid by Washington on Ovi's contract (because Wang)

Wash gets:
NYI 1st round pick in '13
NYI 2nd round pick in '14
Ryan Strome
Calvin deHaan
Kyle Okposo

I'm probably off by a bit, and Ovechkin is slumping, but the guy would get a RIDICULOUS package for the Caps if they were to move him & eat a bit of salary. Name value + fan marketability + GM hoping he'd "revert to the old Ovi with a change of scenery" (the usual excuse) = a king's ransom.

*edit*
I'm not saying that's what Ovechkin is WORTH, I'm saying it's what someone would probably PAY in a bidding-war scenario.

I think you're off by more than a bit pal lol

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:17 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I in no way condone making a trade for Ovie from a hockey perspective, especially if it means giving up half of our best prospects.

All I'm saying is that from a business perspective, even with the 9.5 salary, it would be a no-brainer in Brooklyn.
I don't agree that a declining Ovie, making $9.5m is a no brainer from a business standpoint in Brooklyn.

We are reading that the isles aren't looking to make their big bucks, from the cheaper seat tix sales, from the Russian population. They want corporations buying those 100 luxury suites, bringing in $35m more per season.

And despite what NYI fans wish, there are credible sources like Botta and Staples, that say even after the Brooklyn move, the isles will not become a cap ceiling team.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
McDavid and Ekblad aren't in the same draft. McDavid is younger.
opps....lets just pretend Isles add a 2015 1st rounder

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote