HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/7/13 "Pretty Fly For A Weiss Guy" - Panthers VS Flyers

View Poll Results: Give It To Me Baby!
Uh huh, Uh huh 2 9.09%
Uh huh, Uh huh 5 22.73%
Uh huh, Uh huh 1 4.55%
And all the girlies say I'm pretty fly (for a Weiss guy) 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM
freakstar
Paaaaaanthers

vCash: 500
Kovalev scratched together with Ellerby -

Steve Goldstein ‏@goldieonice
Kovalev and Ellerby scratches for #FlaPanthers vs Flyers tonight. Skille back in with Goc-Kopecky. 7pm Foxsportsflorida

Old
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

vCash: 492
here are the stats that prove ellerby deserves to play over weaver

Mike: 1 assist, +/- -4, 2 PIMs, 9 shots

Keaton: 0 assists, +/- -2, 36 PIMs, 8 shots

while weaver has more points, shots and less pims, ellerbys penalty mins primarily came from fights, one where he stood up for himself after chris neil and zack smith went after him and the other where he stood up for Jovo after B.j crombeen delivered a dirty knee to jovo thus keeping jovo out of the lineup. ellerby also has a better plus/minus than weaver and in most games this season his +/- has been better than weavers.

* all stats from panthers.nhl.com *

Old
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post

while weaver has more points, shots and less pims, ellerbys penalty mins primarily came from fights, one where he stood up for himself after chris neil and zack smith went after him and the other where he stood up for Jovo after B.j crombeen delivered a dirty knee to jovo thus keeping jovo out of the lineup. ellerby also has a better plus/minus than weaver and in most games this season his +/- has been better than weavers.

Agree completely. ellerby is our future, brings more to table, will improve each game.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstar View Post
Kovalev scratched together with Ellerby -

Steve Goldstein ‏@goldieonice
Kovalev and Ellerby scratches for #FlaPanthers vs Flyers tonight. Skille back in with Goc-Kopecky. 7pm Foxsportsflorida

Steve Goldstein‏@goldieonice

Kevin Dineen said he wants to keep Kovalev's energy level high during this short season so he gets tonight off.

Agree.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Loving the lines. Mueller on the top line looks nice, and I like versteeg with shore and hubey. Excited for Guds tonight!

Old
02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
RainingRats

Quote:

Weaver was better last game. I think Dineen is going with a what have you done lately for me mentality.

Ellerby made two big mistakes in Winnipeg. He tried to block Wheeler's shot on the first goal which deflected and made it more difficult for Clemmer when he should have let him have a clear shot and it would have been stopped. He also screened Clemmer and let Ladd get behind him, adding to the screen. Very poor positionally on that goal.

A night in the pressbox can be a good thing.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

funny quote...

Asked about the difference in the Panthers play, Tomas Fleischman told me "we played pond hockey those first 5 games" #FlaPanthers

Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Weaver was better last game. I think Dineen is going with a what have you done lately for me mentality.

Ellerby made two big mistakes in Winnipeg. He tried to block Wheeler's shot on the first goal which deflected and made it more difficult for Clemmer when he should have let him have a clear
shot and it would have been
stopped. He also screened Clemmer and let Ladd get behind him, adding to the screen. Very poor positionally on that goal.

A night in the pressbox can be a
good thing.
Problem is it won't b one night in the press box it will b until another dman goes down with an injury. Although hopefully weavers true colors of this season come out tonight and he gets benched next game

Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:

Ellerby made two big mistakes in Winnipeg. He tried to block Wheeler's shot on the first goal which deflected and made it more difficult for Clemmer when he should have let him have a clear shot and it would have been stopped. He also screened Clemmer and let Ladd get behind him, adding to the screen. Very poor positionally on that goal.

A night in the pressbox can be a good thing.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Since we have been getting healthy all the scratches have been dependent on what you have done the game before.

I thought Weaver had a good game on Tues, he was actually throwing decent hits, along with making a couple offensive plays. And you can't scratch the Strachan with all the confidence he has, moving the puck and playing a smart physical game.

Don't know how i feel yet about mixing up the top two lines. I thought Hubs - Shore - Mueller looked really good together, interesting that Dineen mixes it up.

I mentioned in the last GDT that I would say a little prayer last night to scratch Kovalev for today, looks like it came true Here's hoping that most of our goals tonight come from the bottom two lines so Dineen can't take anyone out of this lineup.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Problem is it won't b one night in the press box it will b until another dman goes down with an injury. Although hopefully weavers true colors of this season come out tonight and he gets benched next game
You may be right, but with a condensed schedule it's imperative to keep people fresh. Weaver is a lot more likely to improve than to get worse, imo. He's played a little better each of the last few games.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

Quote:
You may be right, but with a condensed schedule it's imperative to keep people fresh. Weaver is a lot more likely to improve than to get worse, imo. He's played a little better each of the last few games.
You make a good point

Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
\

To your point i think KD is doing an excellent regard rotating players in and out, especially now being relatively healthy.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
funny quote...

Asked about the difference in the Panthers play, Tomas Fleischman told me "we played pond hockey those first 5 games" #FlaPanthers
Was true, love his mindset!

02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I really like Dineen's decisions with these new lines. Before I say this, I don't hate Ellerby at all and want him to progress to what I think he's capable of, but scratching him was an excellent decision. I'm sure once he's back into the lineup, he'll play much better. I also like how Kuba was moved down to the 3rd pairing. Hopefully that will light a bit of a fire on him.

Even though Philadelphia may be one of the toughest places to play, we've actually won at least one of the meetings there each season since '06-'07, so i think we have a decent chance to get a win tonight.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Oh yeah!! Guds with Campbell! I hope Guds gets PP time too. Guds-Campbell looked good the couple games they played together last season

Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
I'm all for the top two lines getting switched around, hopefully it messes up the gameplan for Philly's matchups. Versteeg and Mueller play the same style of hockey and Mueller is the hot hand right now. I think Versteeg will like the style Hubs and Shore play and hopefully they can find some chemistry.

I'm so excited for the return of #44, I feel Dineen put him with Soupy to limit the rust Guds may have which would be more noticable if he was with Weaver or Kuba. I think Ellerby should be playing instead of Weaver but scratching guys keeps the competitive drive flowing and Dale and Dineen like that in the locker room.

I'm going to text my friend, he's good friends with Wayne Simmonds and see if he's cleared to play. I heard he practiced but in a yellow non-contact pinny. Hartnell and Simmonds out would be a huge advantage for us.

Kovalev scratched is a good decision. Anybody think Parros and Sesitio get a round in? I'd love to see Guds drop them but would prefer him laying the body and getting re-adjusted to the 9 month layoff.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Am I the only one that thinks if Kuba plays poorly tonight, perhaps he needs to have a night off? I think Ellerby has and will continue to improve, heck just last season we we're wondering if he'd get qualified, and now he is developing into a serviceable defensemen, the only problem is... we have a lot of "serviceable" ones and very few special ones.

IMO, Weaver is showing that he's a great +/- player when things were going well, but he's not that big of a difference maker, at least not like he was in the past with the shots blocking, as I've seen routine plays he should make turn into goals especially during the Buffalo game.

I'm happy to have Guds back as he will def be someone we can lean on now.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
Am I the only one that thinks if Kuba plays poorly tonight, perhaps he needs to have a night off?
A few nights off would be a good start, his play so far has been beyond ugly.

But what Tallon showed with Bradley, was that he isn't afraid to admit of having made a mistake and trying to fix it. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kuba traded (for nothing virtually) if he keeps playing the way he has so far.

Finding someone to take him thou, is easier said than done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
IMO, Weaver is showing that he's a great +/- player when things were going well, but he's not that big of a difference maker, at least not like he was in the past with the shots blocking, as I've seen routine plays he should make turn into goals especially during the Buffalo game.
Agreed.

Guds-Soupy
Kuli-Strachan
Ellerby-Jovo

Is what the line-up could look without Kuba and Weaver when healthy. Strachan has already (at least in my book) surpassed Weaver, he's as good as Weaver on the D-side, if not even better, and he brings more to the O-side as well.

I'm not saying Weaver is bad, but there's just better guys to play than him. And he deserves a better faith than being a 7th d-man, there's a lot of teams that could use his services.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

But what Tallon showed with Bradley, was that he isn't afraid to admit of having made a mistake and trying to fix it. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kuba traded (for nothing virtually) if he keeps playing the way he has so far.

Agreed.

Guds-Soupy
Kuli-Strachan
Ellerby-Jovo

Is what the line-up could look without Kuba and Weaver when healthy. Strachan has already (at least in my book) surpassed Weaver, he's as good as Weaver on the D-side, if not even better, and he brings more to the O-side as well.

I'm not saying Weaver is bad, but there's just better guys to play than him. And he deserves a better faith than being a 7th d-man, there's a lot of teams that could use his services.
Completely agree with your lineup above, even if we kept weaver or kuba and rotated them out with Jovo on occasion (since it's not like he was preforming well before he got hurt) it would be an upgrade. Depending on if we're competing for a playoff spot in a month will really dictate imo Kuba and Weaver future. I'd personally like to see both moved.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:

There's always teams at the trade deadline looking for defensive help/depth. With Kuba having a year left on his contract though, that makes it a bit more interesting to trade. If we're out of the playoff chase, I could see us putting him on the block and getting a 3rd rounder for him.
Quote:
Agreed.

Guds-Soupy
Kuli-Strachan
Ellerby-Jovo

Weaver definitely could be traded for at least a pick or prospect right now. He's cheap enough to be a bottom pairing d-man on almost any team in the league. As much as everyone loves Strachan, there's a reason he was being scratched previously. He's still got things to learn and I think it would be likely that Dineen would put him on the bottom pairing still. So it would probably be Jovo paired with Kuli which isn't such a horrible thing IMO. And Strachan being paired with Ellerby might actually be a positive too.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:

Agreed. I can see us buying out/trading Kuba sooner rather than later if Guds steps in right away and takes his place on the top pairing.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

I like that Strachan and Guds are in the lineup. What I dont like is that Ellerby is the man out tonight. IMO it should be Kuba!

Old
02-07-2013, 04:24 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Funny how many people are on the outs with Kuba & Weaver right now. A lot of talk about people here wanting one of them traded.

Funny how before Jovo's knee injury he was the odd man out (for fans). Now people have him back in the rotation (obviously once healthy).

To me, none of them have played poorly enough to be traded (especially Weaver recently). I say we hold our cards till the deadline.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:36 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There's always teams at the trade deadline looking for defensive help/depth. With Kuba having a year left on his contract though, that makes it a bit more interesting to trade. If we're out of the playoff chase, I could see us putting him on the block and getting a 3rd rounder for him.
I don't care for a pick, just getting rid of his 4 million caphit for next year will be just fine.

Kuba for some d-man that's a UFA after this year. Who wants him? Might as well deal Clemmer in the same package while we're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Funny how before Jovo's knee injury he was the odd man out (for fans). Now people have him back in the rotation (obviously once healthy).
People just want Jovo out because of his boneheaded plays. Everyone knows that DT won't deal Jovo, more so now since he's become the captain.

Quote:
To me, none of them have played poorly enough to be traded (especially Weaver recently). I say we hold our cards till the deadline.
No one is calling for Weaver's head. There's just guys that have passed him and thus made him expendable.

On Kuba, I don't know what you've been watching, but he's been horrible in every game so far.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Funny how many people are on the outs with Kuba & Weaver right now. A lot of talk about people here wanting one of them traded.

Who wants Jovo back? He has yet to prove his usefulness this season. Weaver is going through a rough patch, we know what he's capable of. Kuba on the other hand, has also yet to prove his worth. None of them will be traded anytime soon unless we get crazy desperate.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Closed Thread