HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilySmoov View Post
Conditional 1st (condition being it's in the 20+ range) + B prospect.
Or maybe just a non-conditional 1st or a B+ prospect.

I want Toronto to blow it up, so I personally would have no interest in roster players.
Yes lets blow up the second youngest roster in the league! This is the reason the Leafs never rebuild, as soon as they start you have some "brilliant" Leaf fans wanting to start all over again. Why don't we let the rebuild continue?

I really doubt Kulemin will be traded, it makes no sense. He is young, just signed a contract and has SIZE. Something the Leafs lack.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Don't be so short sighted.

D prospects can be traded for other position prospects, ala, Schenn-JVR. Aulie- Ashton

Nothing wrong with adding another D prospect.
Maybe Ashton can be as good as Kulemin some day. Do you see the issue here? Why would the Leafs trade a young, 26 year old winger, that skates well, plays the body, has scored 30 for a kid that may or may not make the NHL. It doesn't make sense that they would do that. Not with Rielly, Percy, Finn, Blacker, Holzner, Gardiner -- they have enough young D.

Trading a player that is NHL ready and fits in your lineup now and in the future for a prospect that you would then trade to get a player hopefully like the one you traded is dumb. You'd only make that deal if they overpaid.

Makes no sense for the Leafs unless it's Sutter or MAF coming back the other way. Of course if Pitts want to give some top young player and a couple good picks well...but overall this thread is going nowhere. The Leafs don't need/want nor will they accept an underpayment for Kuly.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
What if the Pens offered Fleury? Could the Leafs be fooled into taking this?
Fooled into taking a starting caliber goalie, with a cup ring and is under 30??

Get a clue

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Maybe Ashton can be as good as Kulemin some day. Do you see the issue here? Why would the Leafs trade a young, 26 year old winger, that skates well, plays the body, has scored 30 for a kid that may or may not make the NHL. It doesn't make sense that they would do that. Not with Rielly, Percy, Finn, Blacker, Holzner, Gardiner -- they have enough young D.

Trading a player that is NHL ready and fits in your lineup now and in the future for a prospect that you would then trade to get a player hopefully like the one you traded is dumb. You'd only make that deal if they overpaid.

Makes no sense for the Leafs unless it's Sutter or MAF coming back the other way. Of course if Pitts want to give some top young player and a couple good picks well...but overall this thread is going nowhere. The Leafs don't need/want nor will they accept an underpayment for Kuly.
And Pittsburgh shouldn't have to pay through the nose for a guy that dipped 23 goals in one year. He is a good player, but not at the expense you are thinking (Sutter, Fleury, Morrow). Agree ... this thread is going no where.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Start with a 1st.

Kulemin-Malkin-Neal will be one of the leagues best lines, better make it worth it for the Leafs to deal him.
What good is a late 1st going to do our team. Even if they add in a prospect we would still be retarded to do anything like that.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Yes lets blow up the second youngest roster in the league! This is the reason the Leafs never rebuild, as soon as they start you have some "brilliant" Leaf fans wanting to start all over again. Why don't we let the rebuild continue?

I really doubt Kulemin will be traded, it makes no sense. He is young, just signed a contract and has SIZE. Something the Leafs lack.
dont even act like the leafs went through a proper rebuild. It was rushed, and as a result we are in the position we are now in.

Rielly is nice, outside of him though......

Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
What if the Pens offered Fleury? Could the Leafs be fooled into taking this?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
dont even act like the leafs went through a proper rebuild. It was rushed, and as a result we are in the position we are now in.

Rielly is nice, outside of him though......
you mean in a playoff spot and on the rise? cause right now they are on the rise

Old
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I like the statement on Kulemin. He is a very quiet guy that works his tail off.

I always said about him, if he got a chip on his shoulder; he could really do some special things. Even when he scored 30 he was really passive. He can create chances all on his own, but sometimes it seems that he hasn't developed a confidence to stand out. With the right coach and linemates, the confidence can get instilled this sponge and I have no doubt that he could reach his potential.

That is another reason why it would be hard to see him go for market value (whatever that would be
Agreed. Why do you think Pens fans want him, for the 30 point pace he's been scoring at since his 30 goal season?

Heck, as I said earlier, you take out Kuli's one game against his buddy Malkin this year, and his stat line in 9 games is 1g, 2a, -4.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
you mean in a playoff spot and on the rise? cause right now they are on the rise
We've seen this before.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
We've seen this before.
Oh ye of little faith.

Seriously, I don't envy the position Nonis is in with Kulemin.

You'd like to use him as centerpiece for a high end talent, but those days ended 18 months ago. Right now, he's no more than the third best piece in a deal like that.

Kuli could have a better statistical season, but whatever improvement there would be in his value by next fall as a result goes down because he'd be an impending UFA next fall.

He's worth more to the Leafs now than they can get in a trade. But, is he worth 3M a year after next year?

THAT is the trick for Nonis. Not is he a valuable player to the Leafs. But, what will it cost to keep him, what is the organizational value of player and cost, and even how do you define that value (in a two year or say four year window). There are a lot of variables for him to consider beyond the here and now.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Oh ye of little faith.

Seriously, I don't envy the position Nonis is in with Kulemin.

You'd like to use him as centerpiece for a high end talent, but those days ended 18 months ago. Right now, he's no more than the third best piece in a deal like that.

Kuli could have a better statistical season, but whatever improvement there would be in his value by next fall as a result goes down because he'd be an impending UFA next fall.

He's worth more to the Leafs now than they can get in a trade. But, is he worth 3M a year after next year?

THAT is the trick for Nonis. Not is he a valuable player to the Leafs. But, what will it cost to keep him, what is the organizational value of player and cost, and even how do you define that value (in a two year or say four year window). There are a lot of variables for him to consider beyond the here and now.
It's not always about stastistics. As has been said time and time again, Kulemin is worth more to our team than his offensive stats may suggest.

And why the **** would I have faith in the Toronto Maple Leafs and their Management team? What reasons have they possibly given me to have faith? For the most part, we have been the laughing stock of the league since the previous lockout ended.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
It's not always about stastistics. As has been said time and time again, Kulemin is worth more to our team than his offensive stats may suggest.

And why the **** would I have faith in the Toronto Maple Leafs and their Management team? What reasons have they possibly given me to have faith? For the most part, we have been the laughing stock of the league since the previous lockout ended.
1. I was being facetious about faith.

2. I wasn't doubting Kulemin's value to the team. I was asking how Nonis values him in totality. They are two different yet mutually important questions. Worth 3M a year long term? Worth more than what he can get for him right now (which could be assets more easily leveraged in a deal for a higher end talent)?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

I would place a solid wager if the deal were to go down.

That the Sochi Olympics best line would be:
Kulemin-Malkin-Ovechkin

Old
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
KapG

Quote:
1. I was being facetious about faith.

2. I wasn't doubting Kulemin's value to the team. I was asking how Nonis values him in totality. They are two different yet mutually important questions. Worth 3M a year long term? Worth more than what he can get for him right now (which could be assets more easily leveraged in a deal for a higher end talent)?
you know how it can get when you read something online. Can be hard to detect that sarcasm or facetiousness.

With regards to how much Nonis values him. Tough to say really.

I'd personally be happy with 3 mill per year or so over say 4 - 5 years. I dont think we would be able to collect enough quality picks prospects for him. In other words, the assets we'd acquire him for wouldn't be enough IMO to leverage into a deal for higher end talent.

If you want to go the upgrade route, I'd rather they package up say a Biggs or Ashton with Kulemin to get an upgrade that way.

Personally would rather just keep him. Every team needs players like Kulemin.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I would place a solid wager if the deal were to go down.

That the Sochi Olympics best line would be:
Kulemin-Malkin-Ovechkin
As of now, I'd have Kovalchuk on that line over Ovechkin.

Kovy is huge when it comes to the Russian National Team IIRC.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Don't be so short sighted.

D prospects can be traded for other position prospects, ala, Schenn-JVR. Aulie- Ashton

Nothing wrong with adding another D prospect.
And how do we know Kulemin, an established 2nd line player is worthy of trading for a defensive prospect who can then be flipped for something better? Or will ever crack the Leafs lineup?

I'm not there. In the cases of JVR/Schenn and Aulie/Ashton they were basically across the board moves, because JVR/Schenn were already established NHLers, and Aulie/Ashton are still nothing but prospects right now.

You would basically be trading one of the Leafs top 6 wingers, who brings a skillset most current Leafs players lack up front and exchanging it for an unknown.

That's moving backwards, not forwards.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
you know how it can get when you read something online. Can be hard to detect that sarcasm or facetiousness.

With regards to how much Nonis values him. Tough to say really.

I'd personally be happy with 3 mill per year or so over say 4 - 5 years. I dont think we would be able to collect enough quality picks prospects for him. In other words, the assets we'd acquire him for wouldn't be enough IMO to leverage into a deal for higher end talent.

If you want to go the upgrade route, I'd rather they package up say a Biggs or Ashton with Kulemin to get an upgrade that way.

Personally would rather just keep him. Every team needs players like Kulemin.
Hey, I'm a Pens fan, but I'm also a hockey fan. I know how it can be for fans of any team with 'fool me once, shame on me, try to fool me for the umpteenth time . . . '.

And, just so you know, there are a lot of us who would give Phil Kessel's good nut to get Kuli, we like him that much. We're just trying to stop playing fans and instead trying to envision what Dave Nonis conceivably could want that Ray Shero conceivably could be willing to give.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
And how do we know Kulemin, an established 2nd line player is worthy of trading for a defensive prospect who can then be flipped for something better? Or will ever crack the Leafs lineup?

I'm not there. In the cases of JVR/Schenn and Aulie/Ashton they were basically across the board moves, because JVR/Schenn were already established NHLers, and Aulie/Ashton are still nothing but prospects right now.

You would basically be trading one of the Leafs top 6 wingers, who brings a skillset most current Leafs players lack up front and exchanging it for an unknown.

That's moving backwards, not forwards.
Pascal Dupuis is one of the Pens top six forwards. Just saying.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
He is because of his work ethic and speed and chemistry with SID. Ideally, he shouldn't be, but Penguin fans continually bag on him. He busts his ass; doesn't take shifts off; works well on the PK.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
We've seen this before.

not with a team this young

Old
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
penzweiser
Rookie User

Dupuis is worth kuli+

Old
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Dupuis is more of a 3rd liner ideally, so I recognize the need the Pens might have in Kulemin.

However, I wouldn't move Dupuis for Kulemin either. Like I said it's Sutter or bust.

If you can package Kulemin and maybe something else for Sutter...then I'd seriously entertain it and be serious about it. As for creating another hole in the Leafs lineup more D prospects, no thanks.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
Dupuis is worth kuli+
Yeah, if you believe Evgeni Malkin is also worth Mikhail Grabovski.

Dupuis is a glorified penalty killer, who is 33 years old, and got inflated numbers playing with Crosby.

Kulemin is 26 years old and once scored 30 goals, playing on the second line with Grabovski.

Swapping each player means Kulemin is an all-star because he's got world class talent to play with and Dupuis is barely noticeable player on the Leafs.

Dupuis for Kulemin makes absolutely no sense at all for the Leafs.

Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 02-07-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
This thread is full of people who have never watched Kulemin play aside from the Leafs v Penguins games.

He is never getting traded for a 1st or some long shot prospects. If you want him, its gonna be for an NHL ready dman who has top 3 potential. The only player in Pittsburgh's system that fits the bill is Morrow. Its Morrow or bust.

Makes absolutely no sense for us to trade a do-it-all 26 year old winger for a 1st rounder. We are not doing a 500 year rebuild.
Are you joking? Morrow is not top 3 potential, he's #1 PP QB potential.

Closed Thread