The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
hokijanari

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
I would say the same in reverese. If the coach has lost control the players do not play.

Great coaches can coach anyone. Yeo so far has been able to only coach a select few.
Just was going to say this.

Coaches give the players a form of play and if the form doesn't suit the players, this happens. And by this I mean the problem the Wild are having right now. We're dumping the puck, but we can't win battles. Puck possession is the way to go with this team, IMO. And that's why the Wild should bring Jukka Jalonen to St. Paul. Also known as the puck possession god. GMCF, get it done

Old
02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
DANOZ28

bottom line the coach gets credit if the team wins, why isnt the coach accountable if they lose? again give yeo this season to figure it out, if no playoffs, then no job.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
bottom line the coach gets credit if the team wins, why isnt the coach accountable if they lose? again give yeo this season to figure it out, if no playoffs, then no job.
Agreed.

I don't understand why people are saying that it's not Yeo's fault the team is not executing. He's the coach of this god damn team!!!

Old
02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Dr Jan Itor

No, they shouldn't. And the answer will be the same when you make thread #3.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Abraham85

Fletcher should line out a strategy for how the team should play and fire any coach who doesn't live up to that. So I say they should fire him, but not before they have a clear idea of what they want from their next coach.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
DANOZ28

good dr, how long is long enough? 5 yrs? 10? this is a results business.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Not sure, but I can tell you it's not after 9 games.

Anybody remember how we started the first 9 games of last year? Anyone?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
A hell of a lot longer than 9 games...

Old
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
DANOZ28

wasnt yeo the coach last year? during our epic collapse i feel a vet coach could have stopped the bleeding quicker. just my one cent.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
wasnt yeo the coach last year? during our epic collapse i feel a vet coach could have stopped the bleeding quicker. just my one cent.
By doing what? Turning Warren Peters into a legit NHL player?

What did you Yeo do (or not do) last year that a veteran coach would have?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Just was going to say this.

Coaches give the players a form of play and if the form doesn't suit the players, this happens. And by this I mean the problem the Wild are having right now. We're dumping the puck, but we can't win battles. Puck possession is the way to go with this team, IMO. And that's why the Wild should bring Jukka Jalonen to St. Paul. Also known as the puck possession god. GMCF, get it done
This team has been built knowing very well the type of system played. Don't kid yourself son.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Close this please Mods.
Why should this be closed?? People obviously are not 100% satisfied with coach Yeo and they must be able to discuss what he's doing wrong. Besides, this is not some sort of yes/no debate. People are making good points and actually only those who think Yeo shouldn't be fired, come up with these oneliners and don't have anything to back up their opinion. If someone's saying Yeo shouldn't be fired, he should also explain why they think Yeo is the way to go. And if someone does that, okay, I'm fine with that, that's your opinion and you had some arguments also. That's how discussions work. People have different opinions and they try to explain why their opinion is the "correct" one.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
This team has been built knowing very well the type of system played. Don't kid yourself son.
Is it really? Because IMO the style of play and the type of players we have doesn't match...

Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Threads merged, cleaned up all the off topic and sarcastic crap (including quite a bit of my own).

If you'd like to make smart ass comments or post GIF's, please do it in the off-topic thread (again, myself included)

Continue.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Why should this be closed?? People obviously are not 100% satisfied with coach Yeo and they must be able to discuss what he's doing wrong. Besides, this is not some sort of yes/no debate. People are making good points and actually only those who think Yeo shouldn't be fired, come up with these oneliners and don't have anything to back up their opinion. If someone's saying Yeo shouldn't be fired, he should also explain why they think Yeo is the way to go. And if someone does that, okay, I'm fine with that, that's your opinion and you had some arguments also. That's how discussions work. People have different opinions and they try to explain why their opinion is the "correct" one.
Because 9 games is way too small of a sample size to base a firing off of.

Firing 2 coaches after they each only got 2 years sets a bad precedent for the list of applicants.

If we did fire Yeo, would you actually trust Fletcher to hire the next one, or would you expect him to step down?

Because there isn't anybody out there, right now, that would make it worth it. If you want to say that we should've hired Hitchcock 4 years ago, I will not debate that, but I don't hold that against the current coach.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Color me crazy, but weren't we doing pretty well last year until we set a new record for injuries? Or did Warren Peters just show that much potential to warrent a spot on our "top" line.

Then after we got some of our top 6 back, didn't we end the year fairly strong?

Just my 2 cents...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Sportserie

Yes, injuries really did screw us last season.

I think people are on edge this year because the Wild have been so bad for so long and once those signings happened on the fourth of July, along with our great prospect pool, we can almost taste the playoffs at the very least. The expectations are higher now. Is Yeo up for the job? Who knows, but if we don't make the playoffs this season it will be a huge, huge disappointment. When DO you start blaming the coach?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
I'm giving Yeo, at minimum, the rest of this wonky and weird year. No threats to his position or anything at all. He should feel as if he has the trust and faith of this organization. With that, I would watch very closely how he does and how the team grows and develops.

It is in there that I would expect results. They have to grow and develop this year, and noticably. If they do not, then I would start to question Yeo's ability.

We have had too much turnover, compiled with a total lack of training time to expect to be in the position Chicago or the Blues are in now.

Do some people here realize that this team has had less than 10 practices together since the end of last year?

If any of you have played sports, you would know that the most important part, is the practice. It's not the most fun, but successful teams need to work on their shortcomings in order to grow and reach their potential.

No freakin team is going to do well if you just throw a bunch of players on the ice and say "go win." Sadly, this is the expectation some people seem to have, and it is honestly absurd.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the team is losing quite a bit due to the same problems (can't score, not shooting the puck, poor defense, bad special teams) and don't show any improvement, it gets more and more on the coach.

Fletcher gave Yeo some very good players to work with. But how long has Yeo been able to coach them?

Training Camp Started on Jan 13

Now I'm not a math expert, but January 13 was three Sundays ago. About three and a half weeks. Yeo literally hasn't been able to have any contact with his players for a full month, let alone running them through drills.

What about practices?

Wild had FOUR practices prior to Blue Jackets game

FOUR. 1..2..3..4. Four practices through last Tuesday. Let's say they didn't practice on game days, and I believe they got a day off over the weekend (mandatory more time off under the new CBA). That's a total of SIX practices before the Anaheim game, maybe EIGHT before the Phoenix game.

Eight practices enough for Yeo to get the players fully coached up?

That's why I'm saying...time. You need some time to see how things shake out. How the players get settled, how the coach makes adjustments, how the players respond to those adjustments, etc.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Should the Rangers fire Tortorella? Should the Flyers fire Laviolette? Should Buffalo fire Lindy Ruff? Should Detroit fire Mike Babcock? Should Nashville fire Barry Trotz? Should Phoenix fire Dave Tippett? And finally, should LA fire Daryl Sutter?

These are all teams who have identical or even worse records than the Wild right now. This is an absolutely asinine conversation and should at the least be postponed until halfway through the season.

Edit: and I know what people will say: Obviously these coaches all have track records and are known for what they can do. At the same time, it proves that this early in the season there simply have not been enough games to make a judgment.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Should the Rangers fire Tortorella? Should the Flyers fire Laviolette? Should Buffalo fire Lindy Ruff? Should Detroit fire Mike Babcock? Should Nashville fire Barry Trotz? Should Phoenix fire Dave Tippett? And finally, should LA fire Daryl Sutter?
Yes.

That way maybe we can land one when Yeo's replacement's replacement's replacement is canned next week.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
DANOZ28

deuce, wasnt yeo the front running "coach of the year" when we were in 1st place 30 games in? he got credit then but when the wheels fell off he looked completely lost. im not asking for his head now, but if we fail again this season, how much time does he deserve?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Granlund 64

Again, we had Warren Peters and Jed Ortmeyer playing meaningful minutes. The wheels didn't fall off - the tires were slashed.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
deuce, wasnt yeo the front running "coach of the year" when we were in 1st place 30 games in? he got credit then but when the wheels fell off he looked completely lost. im not asking for his head now, but if we fail again this season, how much time does he deserve?
Did he look completely lost or just like a guy who had a terrible roster to work with?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
DANOZ28

i sure wish i could find a gig where i get 100% credit for success, and zero blame 4 failure. rock on!

Closed Thread