HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
How did you get to that number? Bizarre statement to make.

Anyway, you may very well be right, but it's unreasonable to discredit the article as you have, since the phenomenon of overhyping a draft is common. We'll only really know for sure at least 5 years from now.
By comparing the players ranked in those spots to guys chosen last year.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
From what I have seen the guys from #11 to 60 are at least 15-20% better than 2012.
I also think this year looks a lot better than last year's, but I'm certainly not confident enough to call it a slam dunk...let alone say that it could top 2003.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
Pierre Larouche had 250 points!
And 111 pts in the NHL as a 19yo. What's your point ?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
By comparing the players ranked in those spots to guys chosen last year.
How did you compare them to arrive to those numbers though?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
How did you compare them to arrive to those numbers though?
Watched those players play and their production.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
1) Why do you hate paragraphs?

2) I still hold hope the Habs can get a high draft pick. Based on what people say, there's a talent drop-off after the ~5th overall, and then after the ~8th overall.
I don't truly hate anything,maybe feel pity for somethings.I too hold out a hope the Habs might get 1st overall if they miss the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
Pierre Larouche had 250 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And 111 pts in the NHL as a 19yo. What's your point ?
I'm sure that Pierre's stats haven't anything constructive to do with this draft and Pierre was a great player and a better husband,that left hockey behind a lifetime ago.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Watched those players play and their production.
Fair enough.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Scotianhab

What are ppl's thoughts on Kerby Rychel? Possible late 1st rounder we could trade up to draft? He has size and seems to be a goal scorer. I'm sure the Habs have scouted him alot since Vail is on his team.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
What are ppl's thoughts on Kerby Rychel? Possible late 1st rounder we could trade up to draft? He has size and seems to be a goal scorer. I'm sure the Habs have scouted him alot since Vail is on his team.
He had 6 points tonight, but some people here think he's a total ''do not draft'' for various reasons.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He had 6 points tonight, but some people here think he's a total ''do not draft'' for various reasons.
Because his production went through the roof when Koko came back..

Old
02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Because his production went through the roof when Koko came back..
Well... isn't that expected? When you get one of the best players in the league back you expect your top players to start producing more. I fail to see why Rychel is a "do not draft" because of that.

Rychel is a goal scorer, it's by far his best asset. Since Khokhlachev's return, Rychel's goals-per-game pace has actually decreased marginally (0.59 GPG versus 0.54 GPG). Sure, his assist totals have sky rocketed (1.23 APG versus 0.41 APG), but that can't just be single-handedly attributed to Khokhlachev. Windsor also added Alex Aleardi (a very dangerous offensive player), Trevor Murphy (power play wizard and good offensive defenceman), Remy Giftopoulos (a good junior player), and Slater Koekkoek (who had season ending surgery after two games). Everyone's (other than Koekkoek) production has increased substantially since being traded to Windsor. Windsor's problem hasn't been scoring lately, it's keeping the puck out of their net.

Rychel's production this year has been very impressive, considering that his team is/was a train wreck and the fact that he has played a with a revolving door of line mates this season. Their top scorer among centres, our very own Brady Vail, rarely plays with Rychel. Before Khokhlachev's return he was most often centred by Josh Ho-Sang (a rookie), or Michael Clarke. The right wing situation on that line was even worse. He played with one of Chris Marchese, Jordan Maletta, or Derek Schoenmakers. Not exactly ideal line mates and he still produced at a point-per-game pace over that span.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Well... isn't that expected? When you get one of the best players in the league back you expect your top players to start producing more. I fail to see why Rychel is a "do not draft" because of that.

Rychel is a goal scorer, it's by far his best asset. Since Khokhlachev's return, Rychel's goals-per-game pace has actually decreased marginally (0.59 GPG versus 0.54 GPG). Sure, his assist totals have sky rocketed (1.23 APG versus 0.41 APG), but that can't just be single-handedly attributed to Khokhlachev. Windsor also added Alex Aleardi (a very dangerous offensive player), Trevor Murphy (power play wizard and good offensive defenceman), Remy Giftopoulos (a good junior player), and Slater Koekkoek (who had season ending surgery after two games). Everyone's (other than Koekkoek) production has increased substantially since being traded to Windsor. Windsor's problem hasn't been scoring lately, it's keeping the puck out of their net.

Rychel's production this year has been very impressive, considering that his team is/was a train wreck and the fact that he has played a with a revolving door of line mates this season. Their top scorer among centres, our very own Brady Vail, rarely plays with Rychel. Before Khokhlachev's return he was most often centred by Josh Ho-Sang (a rookie), or Michael Clarke. The right wing situation on that line was even worse. He played with one of Chris Marchese, Jordan Maletta, or Derek Schoenmakers. Not exactly ideal line mates and he still produced at a point-per-game pace over that span.
I'm just saying people think he could be a by-product, I don't have an opinion, I've never seen him play.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If Rychel can be a physical goal scorer.. sure take a shot at him. We'll have Galchenyuk to pass him the puck.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Et le But

Based on the post game thread, apparently we are doomed and need to tank again, so what top 5 pick should we go for now?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Grant McCagg

Top Q prospects for 2013 Draft

Hey folks.

I was asked by "Carey Price" to list my rankings for draft eligible Q prospects.

Not sure if you want to move this elsewhere, but i'll put it in a new thread for now. If you have any questions I'll be able to answer a few today...turned into a snow day.

Mac & Drouin - top 3
Erne 8-15
Zykov 10-15
Gauthier 7-17
Mantha 15-30
Fucale 20-40
Diaby 30-50
Roy 2nd round
Morin 2nd round
Carrier 40-70
Kostalek 50-70
Poirier 50-70
Sorenson 50-80
Etchegary 3rd round
Duclair 3rd round
Desrosiers 3rd round
Dauphin 3rd round
Dunn 70-100

Old
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Hey folks.

I was asked by "Carey Price" to list my rankings for draft eligible Q prospects.

Not sure if you want to move this elsewhere, but i'll put it in a new thread for now. If you have any questions I'll be able to answer a few today...turned into a snow day.

Mac & Drouin - top 3
Erne 8-15
Zykov 10-15
Gauthier 7-17
Mantha 15-30
Fucale 20-40
Diaby 30-50
Roy 2nd round
Morin 2nd round
Carrier 40-70
Kostalek 50-70
Poirier 50-70
Sorenson 50-80
Etchegary 3rd round
Duclair 3rd round
Desrosiers 3rd round
Dauphin 3rd round
Dunn 70-100
Here are my comments/question.

Duclair is the obvious, I see late 1st rounder with his explosive speed and skill, why 3rd rd?

Dunn...do you potentially see a top 6 guy in him or only 3rd/4th line agitator that chips in 30 points like Talbot?
Diaby...saw him only briefly and didn't scream a drafted player, what do you see him being as a pro? Carker-type?

Dauphin I like him late 2nd but not a big gap...some are looking at him early 2nd though.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
ClasslessGuy

Dunn is a Lapierre 2.0

Old
02-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You know what would be a sick early 2nd round pick ? Fucale.

Too bad it's not going to happen

Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
niftymove

Helle Grant

What is your opinion about Costello's article saying 2013 draft is not as deep as advertised?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-nh...0848--nhl.html

Old
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
ClasslessGuy

Émile Poirier will slip I think. We should take a chance on him

Old
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Dunn is a Lapierre 2.0
At 17 Dunn has 20-21-41 in 40 games(was actually 19-21-40 in 34 before getting hurt), Lapierre finished 22-21-43 in 72 games...though Lappy was bigger...6'2" 185lbs vs 5'11" 170lbs.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Based on the post game thread, apparently we are doomed and need to tank again, so what top 5 pick should we go for now?
Dogtown Kai says:

Get some Lindholm up in this *****...he'll be all like, PASS, PASS PASS...yeah...

Old
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Good Lord, history does repeat itself.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Here are my comments/question.

Duclair is the obvious, I see late 1st rounder with his explosive speed and skill, why 3rd rd?

Dunn...do you potentially see a top 6 guy in him or only 3rd/4th line agitator that chips in 30 points like Talbot?
Diaby...saw him only briefly and didn't scream a drafted player, what do you see him being as a pro? Carker-type?

Dauphin I like him late 2nd but not a big gap...some are looking at him early 2nd though.
Duclair - There are issues with heart, character, sense, size, grit, leadership, defensive play. I wouldn't draft him in the second round, and I'm not sure I wouldn't find someone else to draft in the third round too. I don't see him being smart/big enough to be a top four winger on any kind of a decent NHL team, and he certainly won't be a checking line player unless there is a tremendous transformation in his game. Every year there is usually a Q guy or two who is being overrated, and for me this year he would be one of them. I don't like his game, and I don't like what I'm hearing about him off ice either.

The other guy who may be a little overrated would be Dauphin. Not very big, and not a great skater for his size. Yes he's smart and skilled and looked good at the TP game, but that's not going to get you selected in the top 50 this season. Might he go in the second round? Perhaps. I wouldn't consider him before early in the third round though. I certainly wouldn't draft him over Diaby, who could well be a shutdown NHL defenceman with leadership who can scrap. I talked to an NHL scout yesterday who figures he'll go anywhere after the top 35 picks.

I saw Diaby play against Halifax in Victoriaville - for one of only five times this season Halifax lost and Diaby was a big reason - he shut down MacKinnon and Drouin in the second half of the game. A 6-5 defenceman who skates well, defends well and can scrap. They are much sought after believe me, and Diaby I can pretty much guarantee will be gone before the 51st pick. He's a smart kid and a good kid, wears an A already. Three years from now he's going to be really hard to play against at any level.

I don't see Dunn being a top two center in the NHL, just not a good enough skater for his size to compete consistently with the top centers. He's skilled but not skilled enough for his size/skating issue. If he makes it, I see him in a third or fourth-line role.

As for Mr. Costello saying this draft might not be as deep as originally thought....that may be true overall in places like the US where prospects like Fasching have fallen, but this year's Q crop is one of the deepest and best ever. There may be 20 players from the Q taken in the top three rounds. There may be four or five taken in the top ten and two of the top three....

This is the year to be going to and watching Q games. You may see the Habs draft several players from the Q this season given the bumper crop.

Closed Thread