HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 07:58 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
That's the question: is the ECHL preferable to develop prospects to college or juniors?

Obviously it depends on a player. Someone small should stay with kids so that he could develop physically. But what about a kid like Boo Nieves? He's 6-3 and over 200 pounds, so his physical development won't be a problem.

Nieves is not yet polished enough for the AHL. If he were put into the Hartford lineup, he wouldn't look good. But in terms of both skill and physical development, he will definitely be able hold his own in the ECHL in 2013-14.

The advantage of playing in the ECHL as opposed to college is that he'd be playing almost twice as many games and he'd get used to playing against adults. The disadvantage is that the coaches aren't used to dealing with child psychology and he might view getting sent down all the way to the ECHL as a demotion as opposed to a promotion. Most people don't realize that ECHL plays higher caliber hockey than WCHA.

I realize that at first thought it seems like college is the obvious option, but give it a couple of seconds. I'm not saying the ECHL is necessarily better, but it's not necessarily a worse option.
The benefit of college is the large amount of practices that occur during the season and off-season. On top of that it gives the players a lot of time to get time in the gym which Nieves needs.

For some players it may be an alright decision but not many. The NCAA route is good at polishing players and allowing them to work on their overall game.

Give him at least another year.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

No reason for Nieves to leave the NCAA for at least another season. Kid needs to keep filling out his frame and working on his defensive game. If everything goes right, he'll come out of Michigan with a pro-ready body and solid two-way game to compliment his offensive skills.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, let Boo stay another year at least (no problem with 3, here) and see if he can dominate then. He shouldn't come out until he's ready to handle the AHL.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No reason for Nieves to leave the NCAA for at least another season. Kid needs to keep filling out his frame and working on his defensive game. If everything goes right, he'll come out of Michigan with a pro-ready body and solid two-way game to compliment his offensive skills.
Would like to see him spend 2 more years under Berenson and leave after his junior year a la Kreider.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Update on McIlrath?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Update on McIlrath?
Still isn't Vlad Tarasenko.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Still isn't Vlad Tarasenko.
u think st lou would trade them straight up for each other right now?

didnt think so...

Old
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

didnt think so...
Well that certainly settles that! I completely forgot that the first one to the NHL is automatically better than the other. I'm sure St Louis also felt like they made the worst decision in the world when Tyler Myers was winning the Calder and Luke Schenn cracked the Leafs roster, all while Alex Pietrangelo was still in the OHL. That dude sucks.

You can harp on it all you like. Just don't expect me to take you seriously while you do it.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

didnt think so...
You think Carolina could trade Sanguinetti for Giroux? Hindsight is 20/20

Old
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Ola

I am working but Fasth and Lindberg playing for Sweden right now against the Czech Rep.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You think Carolina could trade Sanguinetti for Giroux? Hindsight is 20/20
good lord i hope it doesnt end like that

Old
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Well that certainly settles that! I completely forgot that the first one to the NHL is automatically better than the other. I'm sure St Louis also felt like they made the worst decision in the world when Tyler Myers was winning the Calder and Luke Schenn cracked the Leafs roster, all while Alex Pietrangelo was still in the OHL. That dude sucks.

You can harp on it all you like. Just don't expect me to take you seriously while you do it.
i would take any of those 3 over big mac. you can take that seriously.

and come on, its not about who makes it first. thats just silly. its about much more than that. im surprised that you would even go there. to even say that tells me you are trivializing the talent disparity and minimizing the development curve or lack there of.

apples and oranges here with mci and tarasenko. ones a developed albeit young nhl player whos playin at a ppg pace and breaking records. today. not a bad start for a kid in his first season and his first time living in north america.

the other guy. not so much.... but but but... he could maybe perhaps be a player in 2-3 years....

Old
02-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
i would take any of those 3 over big mac. you can take that seriously.

and come on, its not about who makes it first. thats just silly. its about much more than that. im surprised that you would even go there. to even say that tells me you are trivializing the talent disparity and minimizing the development curve or lack there of.

apples and oranges here with mci and tarasenko. ones a developed albeit young nhl player whos playin at a ppg pace and breaking records. today. not a bad start for a kid in his first season and his first time living in north america.

the other guy. not so much.... but but but... he could maybe perhaps be a player in 2-3 years....
I'm not trivializing the talent disparity. I'm saying that it's pointless to be up in arms about it when we haven't even gotten a glimpse of what McIlrath will be at the NHL level. For all we know, Tarasenko could go the next 10 games without a point and look completely pedestrian. As I said, using Myers and Pietrangelo as an example, in December of 2008, one was playing top-pairing minutes and well on his way to winning rookie of the year. The other was sitting in the press box before being shipped back to juniors. Now, one of them has fallen from the pedestal and the other is looking like a perennial Norris candidate.

You're right. It is apples and oranges. One kid was drafted as a raw talent who was thought to have the potential to be a special player, and the other has been playing against men for several years now. They're at completely different points in their development, and they're completely different types of players. Tarasenko is a great player, and we'd all love to have him, but his success right now has zero impact on how McIlrath should be perceived, IMO.

There are plenty of "buts" and "ifs" on both sides of the fence. I know you're dying to be vindicated about Tarasenko, but that would still only make you 1 and 1 on your epic predictions, Mr. Lisin.

I was just making a joke originally. I should have just kept myself out of it like I usually do.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

You're proud of me and my near flawless restraint though, right TRX ?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You're proud of me and my near flawless restraint though, right TRX ?
You know it.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Starting next season,the Big 10 Hockey Conference will begin play. The Big 10 hockey schools were split between the CCHA and WCHA. Minnesota and Wisconsin are leaving the WCHA. Michigan,Michigan State and Ohio State are leaving the CCHA. Penn State will be joining the conference too. Six team conference. Begins in 13-14. Its been in the works since 2011.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
I'm not trivializing the talent disparity. I'm saying that it's pointless to be up in arms about it when we haven't even gotten a glimpse of what McIlrath will be at the NHL level. For all we know, Tarasenko could go the next 10 games without a point and look completely pedestrian. As I said, using Myers and Pietrangelo as an example, in December of 2008, one was playing top-pairing minutes and well on his way to winning rookie of the year. The other was sitting in the press box before being shipped back to juniors. Now, one of them has fallen from the pedestal and the other is looking like a perennial Norris candidate.

You're right. It is apples and oranges. One kid was drafted as a raw talent who was thought to have the potential to be a special player, and the other has been playing against men for several years now. They're at completely different points in their development, and they're completely different types of players. Tarasenko is a great player, and we'd all love to have him, but his success right now has zero impact on how McIlrath should be perceived, IMO.

There are plenty of "buts" and "ifs" on both sides of the fence. I know you're dying to be vindicated about Tarasenko, but that would still only make you 1 and 1 on your epic predictions, Mr. Lisin.

I was just making a joke originally. I should have just kept myself out of it like I usually do.
you
had
to
go
there

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
you
had
to
go
there

ODC, I have to admit, I was with you on Lisin. He looked good on Phoenix and I wasn't a fan of Korpikoski at the time. Sucked the way it turned out, but I can't let ya burn alone

Old
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
you
had
to
go
there

haha every time I watch a Coyotes game, a little part of me dies, inside.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
you
had
to
go
there

It'll never die.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Hvem som helst ‏@Hvemsomhelst
After a PP goal from Switrzerland Holtet gets an empty netter for #TeamNorway concluding this 4-1 win. Zuccarello gets the star of the game.
Followed by Pål Haukali Higson
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
2h Hvem som helst ‏@Hvemsomhelst
Olimb makes it 3-0 for #TeamNorway against Switzerland. Zuccarello has been a beast and is creating a lot of chances for the home team. #NYR

Old
02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

So... getting back to our actual prospects. Anyone know what happened with Fast & Lindberg today?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So... getting back to our actual prospects. Anyone know what happened with Fast & Lindberg today?
They were both scoreless, Fasth a -1. Sweden lost 2-0. Lindberg centered the third line, Fasth started on the fourth.

It's just pain.
Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They were both scoreless, Fasth a -1. Sweden lost 2-0. Lindberg centered the third line, Fasth started on the fourth.
Thank you, sir.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Depth on defense is 10000x more of an organizational concern that scoring.

I'm happy there's a guy like McIlrath waiting in the wings. The bottom pair has been a disaster ever since Sauer was hurt because it threw off the depth chart. I'm ready for real rookies with upside to get a shot than these retread scrubs who have been polluting the bottom pair since last year.

Closed Thread