HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#10 - 02/07/2013 | New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
This too. Yeah fighting is nice in all in a divisional battle, but so are actual hockey skills.
Which is exactly why BB is sitting. No hockey skills. btw, Asham is much better with the puck and has a much better shot than Boyle will ever have. Don't label him as a goon; he is not.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Which is exactly why BB is sitting. No hockey skills. btw, Asham is much better with the puck and has a much better shot than Boyle will ever have. Don't label him as a goon; he is not.
He WASN'T a goon. He's just not good anymore.

Boyle is a better hockey player than Asham is at this very moment.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

You could think of this game two ways for the Rangers tonight

This is a scary matchup, at the worst time.

Isles are going to be relentless, like they always have in MSG - and now with a top 10 PP and PK. And now its elevated even more since having a decent start in a shortened season. The playoffs are in sight for them and winning games like tonight is enormous for their club. Gotta watch out they dont put together a solid effort while the Rangers are dicking around with their lines trying to find chemisty and consistency. A lot of new Rangers in different roles and Girardi likely out.

This is the perfect matchup, at the perfect time.

Isles are going to come in and oppose their will on the Rangers and it will force them to up their level at home, after a tough loss to the Devils. Guys like Gaborik and Richards have beat down the Isles throughout their careers, and tonight is the perfect tonic to get some players going. The Isles have great special teams so it puts more of an emphasis on that for the Rangers who aren't performing well in that regard. They can gain a lot of confidence by getting a solid home win tonight. Lundqvist will have an opportunity to shine.

Its up to the Rangers to decide.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yea, it's a little perplexing. Asham over Boyle makes no sense.

The Rangers clearly wanted to get out of the staged fighting game when they shipped off Rupp and didn't replace his role on the roster.

This isn't a team built to goon things up. It's a team built to attack.

(based on what is listed as the lines tonight)
Pyatt - Richards - Gaborik
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Miller - Callahan
Powe - Halpern - Boyle

Are clearly our best forwards. Asham won't be out on the PK, so it makes no sense.

It was suggested Bickel could be scratched, because he was out with Boyle, who is scratched. Hopefully that means Eminger is in.
Asham is better than Boyle!!! It makes perfect sense because he can fight and we have other guys to pk at a level equal to an better than BB.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Giacomin

Lets show the Islanders that New York is a 1 team town!

Old
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He WASN'T a goon. He's just not good anymore.

Boyle is a better hockey player than Asham is at this very moment.
Asham was good in his island days. He's over the hill now. Better than Rupp but still over the hill.

Boyle is easily the better and more diverse player at the moment.

Old
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
"@NYRangers: Brian Boyle: ""I work as hard as I can every day...but I need to play more desperate...have more of an attitude...edge""

"@NYRangers: Brian Boyle: "My whole body of work, it hasn't been there this year..I know I've got to be better""

Hopefully this is the kick in the ass he needed
..right out the door.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers are giving Miller a real good look playing with players who can play and not wasting him on the 4th line giving him 5 minutes. Miller comes up. Boyle plays less than 10 minutes. Torts calls out a group of players. Boyle is a healthy scratch. The Rangers brought up McDonagh and then traded Rozsival.

The Rangers traded a 3rd for Boyle when was basically an AHL player. He isn't worth than a 3rd after he established himself a legit NHL player? The Rangers would probably want a player in return. A defenseman. A younger cheaper forward.
He's worth a 3rd. I said I would be happy with a 3rd.

The Rangers can wany a roster player for him. Crap, I want a 1st rounder for him. Neither are going to happen.

As mentioned already, Boyle was a former 1st rounder that fell out of favor in LA. That is why he got a 3rd from the Rangers.

Unfulfilled potential at the time.

Still unfulfilled in my opinion which is why a 3rd today would be a good trade.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers are giving Miller a real good look playing with players who can play and not wasting him on the 4th line giving him 5 minutes. Miller comes up. Boyle plays less than 10 minutes. Torts calls out a group of players. Boyle is a healthy scratch. The Rangers brought up McDonagh and then traded Rozsival.

The Rangers traded a 3rd for Boyle when was basically an AHL player. He isn't worth than a 3rd after he established himself a legit NHL player? The Rangers would probably want a player in return. A defenseman. A younger cheaper forward.
The Rangers could easily get a youngish NHL defenseman + back for Boyle if they decided to move him. If Miller continues to impress, Boyle should be on his way out. Gaustad got a 1st last year as a soon-to-be UFA. Boyle has a year left. He should get he same.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Faceoffs, PK, and playing a defensive role. Which he's good at.
Good at faceoffs - check
Good at PK - check

Good in a defensive role - Not so fast. This guy is a turnover machine. He blocks shots, but to be a truly good defensive player you have to possess the puck some of the time. You cannot be a second goalie. His puck skills and vision are ECHL Level. And his skating..oy vay.

The problem is he's not great at anything and is an offensive black hole. Overpaid, overplayed!! Sell high!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
16 To Stanley*

I don't know what's easier for me to accept, guys that underrate players like Gaborik or players like Boyle.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Again, we know.
Stop defending him if you know, and try another tactic aside from sarcasm. Actual hockey knowledge on display out of you would be refreshing.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Except an honest effort from him in his age 34-35 season is not good. He's past his prime.

Get me a guy who's like Asham was when he didn't suck. Get me a Brandon Prust. But please, stop acquiring guys who were never good at hockey (John Scott, Boogaard), guys who are past their prime (Rupp, Asham)...and especially both (Brashear )
for the role needed, paying someone like Prust (a glorified 4th liner himself) 2.5 million is absurd.

So while I will agree that in terms of hockey Boyle is the better option, it's pretty obvious that just being a better player will not cause the coach to choose you over the lesser player.

That's because what Asham does do, Boyle doesn't and while I will also agree that Asham has lost a step, even still he is a better option in that regards than Boyle is.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Rookie plays strong first career NHL game.

Organization immediately begins feverish shopping of reliable 3C.
The Rangers have a reliable 3C? Why doesn't he suit up?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

This benching of Boyle is 2 years too late; he has no hockey sense, no finish, and is just an average 4th line player at his best.

Like I said, he has been a 4th line player, playing on the 'third' line, getting 2nd line minutes. Hopefully that is the end of that!

And some people are like 'Oh, guess the Boyle haters are getting their wish'; it should be EVERYBODY'S wish to get him the least amount of ice time possible...

Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
NikC

Quote:
..right out the door.
haha! right on. get out. how many kicks does this guy need in his career to get his "game" going? He still can't figure out what game to play?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers could easily get a youngish NHL defenseman + back for Boyle if they decided to move him. If Miller continues to impress, Boyle should be on his way out. Gaustad got a 1st last year as a soon-to-be UFA. Boyle has a year left. He should get he same.
Gaustad is a better defensive player.

Gaustad is a better physical player.

Gaustad is a better and offensive player.

This is what iam talking about when I refer to Boyle being overrated.

There's not one aspect of the game where I would prefer Boyle over Gaustad.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I don't think he's the worst, but to bench boyle over him is ridiculous, again, hopefully it's for only one game. I'm fine with a one game benching to kick someone's butt.

I agree with you though, i'm so sick of these useless enforcers who do nothing. It's honestly a waste of a roster spot. Especially taking out boyle. While boyle can't fight, he throws bigger hits than asham and i would argue stands up for his teammates more than him.
You would argue that Boyle sticks up for his teammates more than Asham??? Ask CK how BB came to his rescue when Orpik nailed him? Asham CAN play. Watch the games and you will see that. Boyle, not so much. AND....Asham can fight.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
You would argue that Boyle sticks up for his teammates more than Asham??? Ask CK how BB came to his rescue when Orpik nailed him? Asham CAN play. Watch the games and you will see that. Boyle, not so much. AND....Asham can fight.
You're literally making things up.

Asham has not been good in his limited ice time this season. In what world can he play better than Boyle?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Bad hockey player? I completely disagree. He's sure as hell not right in the top 6, but he's not a bad hockey player.
ok. He's a bad hockey player. He's a pitchback on skates. No puck skills or vision to speak of.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Gaustad was a better defensive player.

Gaustad was a better and offensive player.

Fixed it for you.

Boyle has out performed Gaustad...by a considerable margin, since the 10-11 season.

You don't have to take my word for it...the numbers are out there.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
NikC

Quote:
Asham also sticks up for his teamates. He's a tough dude, and can still throw bombs. Has decent hockey sense and pot a few goals.

The Isles are dressing Carkner tonight I'm sure... You'll be glad we have Asham.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Gaustad is a better defensive player.

Gaustad is a better and offensive player.

This is what iam talking about when I refer to Boyle being overrated.

There's not one aspect of the game where I would prefer Boyle over Gaustad.
And Gaustad has been an elite FO man his entire career. Boyle is good in the dot but not elite.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
NikC

Quote:
You're literally making things up.

Asham has not been good in his limited ice time this season. In what world can he play better than Boyle?
i've noticed Asham a heck of alot more than Boyle, plus with limited ice time! Asham at least knows his role, whereas Boyle is constantly searching to find his game....

He's an overgrown teddy bear on skates. Can't fight, barely checks, not aggressive or assertive with his herculean frame...

problem with Boyle is, once his skating improved, and he put together a 20g season he thought he was a skilled player. big mistake.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

For a staged fight, you need a willing dance partner.

Closed Thread