HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Oilers should have picked Gally

Old
02-07-2013, 11:45 AM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
The Habs need Yak more than they need Gally right now. The team is full of cement hands. We need another goal scorer rather than a play maker.
Yeah, Gally sucks at scoring goals...

GP G A Pts
33 27 34 61

GP G A Pts
33 27 34 61

*ahem*

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
They have different approaches, different styles, and different strengths. You could just say vision and passing are areas where Galchenyuk are better than Yakupov and call it a day. But that would be incomplete, now wouldn't it?
Yhea... And this is why I said Galchenyuk is the better player, as he has much better vision and puckhandling capacity. Yak's upsides are just more easily visible for the moment

Quote:
And secondly, you said Galchenyuk lacks something in talent. He doesn't really lack anything in talent. He excels in almost every single facet of the game.
Yhea.. You do realize, in the context of the conversation, I was comparing Yakupov and Galchenyuk, right? If you compare both, one has some things better than the other. Therefore, by comparison, Galchenyuk will be lacking is some raw skill that Yak is simply gifted with.

Gee, context people. Why is it so easy for you to focus on a single ****ing sentence I write and answer to it out of context?!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Yhea... And this is why I said Galchenyuk is the better player, as he has much better vision and puckhandling capacity. Yak's upsides are just more easily visible for the moment
Are those not talents? That was kind of my point.

Quote:
Yhea.. You do realize, in the context of the conversation, I was comparing Yakupov and Galchenyuk, right? If you compare both, one has some things better than the other. Therefore, by comparison, Galchenyuk will be lacking is some raw skill that Yak is simply gifted with.
This doesn't make sense. You say some players have things other players don't have. Then you list two things that Yakupov has that Galchenyuk...also has, albeit not to the same extent. You then conclude that Yakupov is more talented, even though in this post you contend that Galchenyuk has things Yakupov does not.

That was the point of my post: you can't just say "sniping, skating, therefore more talented." You have to consider the sum of their abilities and what truth it bears out about their underlying talent.

Quote:
Gee, context people. Why is it so easy for you to focus on a single ****ing sentence I write and answer to it out of context?!
Don't talk to me about context, when regardless of the context, your logic fails, and this failure to apply logic was the premise of my post. That demonstrates a lack of contextual recognition on your part, not mine, and now you're being a little **** about it.

This is like when people see a study that says something they don't like, they automatically say "sample size isn't big enough, this says nothing." But they never say why the sample size wasn't big enough, or what it wasn't big enough to say. They never say what sample size would be sufficient. Saying context is similar this way. It's a recognizable argumentative archetype which generally, gets someone off the hook. It's not a panacea cure-all for the stupid in your argument though, when your interlocutor is intelligent enough to recognize its emptiness. You're out of luck.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

The habs offense has some good pieces, but lacked a legit star to build around. Between building around an elite sniper winger or an elite playmaker center, I'll almost always chose the second. Not that I wouldn't have been happy with Yaku, but I just think it would have been harder to find the right pieces to support and complete him.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are those not talents? That was kind of my point.

This doesn't make sense. You say some players have things other players don't have. Then you list two things that Yakupov has that Galchenyuk...also has, albeit not to the same extent. You then conclude that Yakupov is more talented, even though in this post you contend that Galchenyuk has things Yakupov does not.

That was the point of my post: you can't just say "sniping, skating, therefore more talented." You have to consider the sum of their abilities and what truth it bears out about their underlying talent.

Don't talk to me about context, when regardless of the context, your logic fails, and this failure to apply logic was the premise of my post. That demonstrates a lack of contextual recognition on your part, not mine, and now you're being a little **** about it.

This is like when people see a study that says something they don't like, they automatically say "sample size isn't big enough, this says nothing." But they never say why the sample size wasn't big enough, or what it wasn't big enough to say. They never say what sample size would be sufficient. Saying context is similar this way. It's a recognizable argumentative archetype which generally, gets someone off the hook. It's not a panacea cure-all for the stupid in your argument though, when your interlocutor is intelligent enough to recognize its emptiness. You're out of luck.
I think it's pretty clear what he's saying and you're the one taking it out of context. Comparing Glachenyuk and Yakupov, in terms of raw skill, Chucky is 'lacking' in some areas (like comparing a rookie Crosby with a rookie Ovechkin). In terms of raw talent, Yakupov is a step ahead of Galchenyuk at this point.

What Galchenyuk has the Yakupov doesn't have, however, is better vision of the ice and of the game and the ability to better control the game. These aren't talents you generally develop. These are things you have or you don't have.

This is why Yakupov might be the better player at this very moment but is why many of us think that Galchenyuk will have a better career.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
LePoche69

We won't be able to state who should have been taken before at least 5 years.

After 5 years, Everybody would have take Dionne over Lafleur... Enough said.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:26 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I think it's pretty clear what he's saying and you're the one taking it out of context. Comparing Glachenyuk and Yakupov, in terms of raw skill, Chucky is 'lacking' in some areas (like comparing a rookie Crosby with a rookie Ovechkin). In terms of raw talent, Yakupov is a step ahead of Galchenyuk at this point.

What Galchenyuk has the Yakupov doesn't have, however, is better vision of the ice and of the game and the ability to better control the game. These aren't talents you generally develop. These are things you have or you don't have.

This is why Yakupov might be the better player at this very moment but is why many of us think that Galchenyuk will have a better career.
Thank you sir. At least someone can read something in context.

Galchenyuk is very talented. It's just that his edge against Yakupov does not come come out of pure physical superiority (although puckhandling/feinting is probably superior for Galchy, but that's 1 compared to many).

Doesn't make Galchenyuk subpar in any of the category he's rated lesser than Yakupov. It's just that Yakupov is that damn good in these categories. Plekanec would explode with such a winger, I believe their styles probably combine very well.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
icerocket

Nah Oilers should have picked a d-man.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Hugo Sham

between an elite winger or center man- I'll take the center man

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't think outside experts would reach a consensus that Galchenyuk is superior to Yakupov. I wish the Habs had been able to draft both. They would have formed the offensive nucleus for a decade. Many Hab fans would have had buyer's regret if Rene Bourque hadn't come through because Yakupov would have done wonders for the Plekanec line right from the start.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Bullsmith

Yak was the unequivocal consensus #1 pick this year, so I can't blame the Oilers for taking him with the pick. Honestly though, if I were running that team that's not the player I would be targeting. They have an overabundance of elite, flashy offensive forwards. Really they should've traded down and taken Gally or a D, plus possibly a second first rounder. Yak's a high-risk, high-reward selfish showstopper of a player. Last thing that org needs at his point, IMO. I'm happy the habs got Gally instead, as of this moment, but that's NOT to say he should've gone before Yak.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Great One

I've seen more than a few Hab games this year and I've got to admit, I've been really surprised and very impressed with Galchenyuk's play so far this season. Especially just after missing a year of development. The kid is a special player and I think it's safe to say that you guys struck a gold mine by taking the chance and drafting him.

In saying that, as an Oiler fan, I am very happy with our decision to draft Yakupov and seeing what I've seen so far this year I wouldn't trade him for any other player in that draft. I won't deny the fact that Galchenyuk is the better defensive player and I'm not trying to take anything away from his offensive game, but Yakupov just got that knack for creating scoring chances and the offensive upside and scoring touch that for me, gives him the edge between the two. Yakupov has the ability to become the Oiler's best player in a few years, IMO Hall or RNH will be, but just the simple fact that it's a pretty good possibility says a lot considering the talent in our lineup.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Yak was the unequivocal consensus #1 pick this year, so I can't blame the Oilers for taking him with the pick. Honestly though, if I were running that team that's not the player I would be targeting. They have an overabundance of elite, flashy offensive forwards. Really they should've traded down and taken Gally or a D, plus possibly a second first rounder. Yak's a high-risk, high-reward selfish showstopper of a player. Last thing that org needs at his point, IMO. I'm happy the habs got Gally instead, as of this moment, but that's NOT to say he should've gone before Yak.
Ya like that Subban kid. Always hogging the spotlight!

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
No Style Points

yeah, Oilers should definitely have picked Gallagher in the 2010 Draft.

No Style Points is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
In saying that, as an Oiler fan, I am very happy with our decision to draft Yakupov and seeing what I've seen so far this year I wouldn't trade him for any other player in that draft. I won't deny the fact that Galchenyuk is the better defensive player and I'm not trying to take anything away from his offensive game, but Yakupov just got that knack for creating scoring chances and the offensive upside and scoring touch that for me, gives him the edge between the two. Yakupov has the ability to become the Oiler's best player in a few years, IMO Hall or RNH will be, but just the simple fact that it's a pretty good possibility says a lot considering the talent in our lineup.
Yakupov is elite, there's no question about it, very few players have his combination of speed, puck skills and willingness to go physical. In many ways, he is to Ovechkin what Gally is to Malkin (as so many others have observed).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Ya like that Subban kid. Always hogging the spotlight!
Actually I think that's a fair comparison. It's not a knock on either player, it's a compliment about how independent they are, truly outstanding talents but also outstanding personalities. In a team game, once you've got a group of budding superstar forwards, is yak the guy you want to add? There's really no equivalent team in terms of stacked with elite 20 year old D the way the oilers are with forwards. That was the point of my comment. But sure, give it a snakehead.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
between an elite winger or center man- I'll take the center man
So you would have take Dionne over Lafleur.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista View Post
Hey guys,

I am an Oilers fan and I admire Gally's skill, vision and playing style. With his vision, grit and strong puck possession (including calmer playing style), I think he was the one Oilers most needed in their roster. Don't get me wrong, Yakupov is a great player but I think Galchenyuk has more intangibles and has defensive responsibility (plus, stronger with the puck and grittier without the puck than Yakupov). Not to mention he is a few months younger than Yakupov You guys are so lucky to have him.
bang on buddy I told my buddy who is an oiler fan how the hell did you pass this guy up

top centers dont come along that often as scoring wingers

nail is solid and may bag 40 but top shelf centers are gold

rnh and galchy for 15 years wwwwoooowwww

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Habsrback

We can't blame Oilers' management. Yakupov was ranked #1 and Gally hadn't played for an entire season...but their scouts should have asked themselves how an 18 year old who missed an entire season could have been ranked #4...unless this was a player of exception.

Gally's pick was a calculated risk by Bergevin, but I am not sure who he would have picked if the Habs had the #1, even though he said publicly that Gally was his man regardless of the pick. I just think that as at last June, there was more certainty as far as what Yakupov was bringing than Gally because of his missed season.

I do agree that Gally brings the entire package, and on top of this as a center, but Yakupov will also be a star player in that league.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
So you would have take Dionne over Lafleur.
with one exception lol. should've said..based on our desperate needs right now...

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Pigems*

The oilers already have a player like Galchenyuk in RNH. They needed a goal scorer like Yak to go with what they already had I would say. That's just me though I could be way off

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

It's like choosing rib eye or filet mignon. Either way you're going to be happy and either way part of you is going to kind of wish you had the other one.

As for Center over a winger, I really don't believe this. There have been tons of great wingers over the years and i don't see an advantage inherent to the center position. I take the best player available winger or center it doesn't matter to me at all.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Dont Poke Subban

I never wanted Yakupov or Grigorenko. Prior to the draft, It was between Filip Forsberg and Alex Galchenyuk for me.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
I never wanted Yakupov or Grigorenko. Prior to the draft, It was between Filip Forsberg and Alex Galchenyuk for me.
Grigs I get, a lot of questions surrounding how he would translate in the NHL.. but why not Yakupov? He's amazing.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
I wet my pants when I think of Forsberg. DAMN YOU CAPITALS

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote