HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Russia Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Namba 17

vCash: 500
This is my favorite - make rosters I'd be a great manager
Well, let's think.
We have Malkin. He is the best at the moment in the world. If you put two wooden barrels with him - barrels might struggle for PPG. This is first.
We need at least 3 lines to be real contenders, cause Swe and Can will have brilliant teams too and Chez and Finns are not bad at all as well. This is second.
Malkin had great time playing with Kulemin and Kulemin stepped up as well. This is third. They complimented each other well - speed, power defencive forvard with decent offencive abilities and The Best Center Who-Can-Do-Anything. They just need the third - The Sniper. They had it in Mozyakin, but I guess we have now (and I believe - we will in 2014) some better option, and I'm sure you already know whom am I talking about Yes, it's Tarasenko
The second undoubtful center is, certainly, Datsuk. Just as with Malkin almost everybody will look good with him, but we have one guy, that desperately need the great center and, on the other hand, who should be in the roster. It's Ovechkin. Whom will they play with better? I think that Semin will come back to his high level. He has better chemistry with Ovi than anybody, Ovi played with last years, he needs great center as well, and both of them need some guy who can take defence responsibilities. And this line proved to be effective at Worlds.
Then we have two nessesery options, who doesn't need any center at all one of them can play center himself and both are great snipers as well as nice passers. They'er Kovalchuk and Radulov. Put them with decent def forvard with decent passing abilities and decent scoring abilities - and here it is the third line with Anisimov as a center.
The fourth line is quite a problem to me, cause we don't have players of the same caliber as in the first three lines. It's evident to me, that Tereshenko should be there, as the best def center of what is left. I don't want to drop Kuznetsov, and I'm shure we will need one def center more, so I'll take Burmistrov as back up forvard. After this, we have left winger options vacant. I'd give it to another center, or to some def forvard. Shipachev looked not bed last months, so let it be him. And this line can transforms into def variant such as Ship - Teresh - Burmi, or, more offence - Ship - Teresh - Kuzya. Or Kuzya might change Semin or Radulov or Tarasenko if smth goes wrong. And Kovy - Rady may change with Kuly - Taras. So, I guess, it's fixed
As for D, we have the main problem here, as we just don't have enough depth in it.
To tell you the truth, we have only one top class D ATM, and he is injury prone. About it, I doubt that Nikitin and Volchenkov will be helpful at big rinks and I don't trust Tutin. Voynov and Orlov are too young to me. So, we have one ready pair Markov - Emelin where we have top offencive D-man and very good defencive D-man, Nikulin - Kulikov, where we have two decent two-ways D-men... and I don't know who else Medvedev - Birukov, probably, but the third pair will be the problem - we desperately need some guys to step up this year, or we might be in trouble in Sochi! As for 7-th guy - I'd take Gonchar. Yes, he is past his prime, yes, he is aged, but he still the best offenceive D-man except Markov we have and we need one to take PP desperately.
As for goalies - it's ok, thanks God. Varlamov/Barulin/Biryukov/Bryzgalov/Koshechkin all look confident and not bad.
So. Not a prediction but MY roster (I'm sure Bill will do it his way, I know he will take Zerdev somethere and won't take Tarasenko, but we'll see):

Kulemin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Ovechkin - Datsuk - Semin
Kovalchuk - Anisimov - Radulov
Shipachev - Tereshenko - Kuznetsov
Burmistrov

Markov - Emelin
Nikulin - Kulikov
Birukov - Medvedev
Gonchar

Varlamov
Barulin
Bryzgalov

Old
02-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Team Russia 2014 Olympics

Can they rebound after an embarrassing performance in 2010? They have the home field advantage but that also means a lot more pressure.

Ovechkin's recent struggles are worrisome, but they do have new blood in Yakupov and Tarasenko. Do they have the ability to play well defensively at all? Everyone thought they were the favorites in 2010 on the big surface and showed they can't play defense worth a lick..can this change in 2014?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
daver

They have home ice disadvantage.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
NewFang

It's single game round robin. Just about every team has an almost equal shot IMO.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
They suck so bad on D and in net they have 0 chance
But to be fair, I will agree with you on the D part.

Markov - Tyutin
Gonchar - Volchenkov
Kulikov - Nikitin

Old
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

Markov - Tyutin
Gonchar - Volchenkov
Kulikov - Nikitin
No Nikulin?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
ViD

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Semin
Mozyakin - Malkin - Kulemin
Ovechkin - Tereschenko - Tarasenko
Radulov - Anisimov - Kuznetsov

Markov - Kalinin
Nikulin - Medvedev
Volchenkov - Tyutin

Bryzgalov
Varlamov
Barulin

Old
02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
kp61c

Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Radulov
Popov - Malkin - Perezhogin
Ovechkin - Tereschenko - Semin
Kulemin - Anisimov - Kuznetsov
Tarasenko

Belov - Kalinin
Nikulin - Medvedev
Volchenkov - Emelin

Bryzgalov
Varlamov
Barulin

these lists need more belov, hes a lock

Last edited by kp61c: 02-07-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Hey guys/gals, TSN was calling Markov and Emelin locks to make the team. Is this realistic?

Old
02-08-2013, 02:33 AM
kp61c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Low Five View Post
Hey guys/gals, TSN was calling Markov and Emelin locks to make the team. Is this realistic?
they are not locks. and markov most probably wont make the team

Old
02-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Mr Writer

I think Canadian TV hockey analysts should just refrain from trying to pick the Russian Olympic team, only because it bugs me to no end when Russian TV hockey analysts and the other assortments of ex players Russian media trots out there to predict the Canadian Olympic team. The likes of Kozhevnikov, Mikailov and Gimaev commenting on the Canadian Olympic team at last year's WHC was laughable, especially Gimaev's insights. Which were zero.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Low Five View Post
Emelin is a lock. Markov has to stay helathy and show that he's back to his old self first.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp61c View Post
they are not locks. and markov most probably wont make the team
and that's because?

Old
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
kp61c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
and that's because?
his good pp game isnt enough to make the roster

Old
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
his good pp game isnt enough to make the roster
Ok we don't need one of the best D-men in the world. He's just good at PP. Of course.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:04 PM
MaxV

Emelin is not a lock.

He is much more suited for small ice.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 AM
kp61c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Ok we don't need one of the best D-men in the world. He's just good at PP. Of course.
throw in gonchar here if you think theyll be in the final roster, you are in for a shock!

Old
02-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

Markov - Tyutin
Gonchar - Volchenkov
Kulikov - Nikitin
Ye - don't forget Zubov and Yushkevich..

But seriously, Nikulin and Medvedev are almost locks. Excellent big ice defenders. Belov too.

this is how I see it:

Medvedev-Nikulin
Biryukov-Belov
Kulikov-Voynov

MAYBE:
Orlov - if Caps give him playing time after injury, he has some awesome offensive and PP potential, he has a lot to prove too
Emelin (he looked good last WC, but I agree that he is a better on big ice)
Tyutin (There are simply better defenders/puck movers than him)
Markov (has a lot to prove, A LOT)
Gonchar (old and slow, on big ice? mmm I dont think so)
Volchenkov (His grit is gone, I don't like what he brings to the team especially when it comes to puck movement, I don't think Bilyaletdinov does either)
Nikitin (same as Tyutin)

Time will tell.

For those who are basing their opinion about Russian defense on Gonchars and Markovs - your information is very outdated.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 02-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old
02-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Namba 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
For those who are basing their opinion about Russian defense on Gonchars and Markovs - your information is very outdated.
We simply don't have another playmakers of their caliber. PP will be the issue and we're not good in it so far. So, we need both of them (IMHO).
Anyway, Bill will do it his way

Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Agree and I have always laughed at the poorly informed opinions but if Markov maintains his current form he will definitely be looked at but at even strength I don't see him being superior to any players Bil has looked at in the past 9 months.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
throw in gonchar here if you think theyll be in the final roster, you are in for a shock!
please look up their age first. you are in for a shock. Gonchar isn't there anymore.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
MaxV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namba 17 View Post
We simply don't have another playmakers of their caliber. PP will be the issue and we're not good in it so far. So, we need both of them (IMHO).
Anyway, Bill will do it his way
Nikulin has been great on PP throughout his career. Others on Fulcrum's list have experience on PP as well. They could also use a forward at the point (both Malkin and Kovalchuk have been used there by their clubs).

If Markov is going well, then I wouldn't mind him making it. No to Gonchar, he is mediocre at even-strength.

BTW, Semin is playing well so far. Don't forget about him. He has been very good for NT in the past.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Stars23*

My Russian 2014 Winter Olympics (Gold Medal Roster)

Kovalchuk - Tereshchenko - Radulov
Popov - Malkin - Mozyakin
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
Kuznetsov - Shipachyov - Tarasenko
Artyukhin

Markov - Kalinin
Nikulin - Medvedev
Volchenkov - Emelin

Varlamov
Bryzgalov/Barulin

Old
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
My Russian 2014 Winter Olympics (Gold Medal Roster)

Kovalchuk - Tereshchenko - Radulov
Popov - Malkin - Mozyakin
Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin
Kuznetsov - Shipachyov - Tarasenko
Artyukhin

Markov - Kalinin
Nikulin - Medvedev
Volchenkov - Emelin

Varlamov
Bryzgalov/Barulin
Don't see the players names I have enlarged having much of a chance to make the team, except for maybe Emelin.

For now looking at something like this based on how Bil has been tweaking with things the past nine months.

(Popov)Mozyakin-Malkin-Kulemin (Perezhogin)
Kovalchuk/Datsyuk/Radulov (Zherdev/Tarasenko)
Ovechkin/Tereschenko/Syomin (Kuznetsov)
????-Anisimov-Kuznetsov(Zherdev)

Watched Syomin play this morning, he looked great although his goal was a fluke but overall I like what I saw. Everyone knows he plays great for the NT. If he maintains this play he will make the team I basically wrote him off at one stage but I'm gladly surprised.

Medvedev-Nikulin
Belov-Biryukov
Kulikov-Voynov

MAYBE Markov.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Stars23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Don't see the players names I have enlarged having much of a chance to make the team, except for maybe Emelin.

For now looking at something like this based on how Bil has been tweaking with things the past nine months.

(Popov)Mozyakin-Malkin-Kulemin (Perezhogin)
Kovalchuk/Datsyuk/Radulov (Zherdev/Tarasenko)
Ovechkin/Tereschenko/Syomin (Kuznetsov)
????-Anisimov-Kuznetsov(Zherdev)

Watched Syomin play this morning, he looked great although his goal was a fluke but overall I like what I saw. Everyone knows he plays great for the NT. If he maintains this play he will make the team I basically wrote him off at one stage but I'm gladly surprised.

Medvedev-Nikulin
Belov-Biryukov
Kulikov-Voynov

MAYBE Markov.
Great post I really do hope Emelin makes it, he is a great big ice player and shows a lot passion in playing for his country.

Really wanted Artyukhin on the team because he has such a huge and intimidating presence, if only Bil could tame this lion - rough around the edges.

Closed Thread