Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I think a big part of it goes to penalties. They give up 7.4 shots a game on the PK, tied for most in the league. That alone accounts for some of the reason why their shots against total is so high.

Considering that they have a pretty good PK, that continues to build the case that the defense is playing fine.
That's a really good point I hadn't thought of.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It does mean a lot though. Pucks bounce off random sticks, skates, and pads and go in. Rebounds find the open man alone on the doorstep. That's why coaches go on and on about just getting pucks on net. No one ever says, "We've got to wait for the perfect passing play and take only high quality chances".
You'd hear that a lot more if you could understand Russian

Old
02-05-2013, 09:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Considering that they have a pretty good PK, that continues to build the case that the defense is playing fine.
I'd credit the goaltending and the fact that the Stars have possibly the best top 6 PKing forward group in the entire league. Eriksson/Benn/Roy/Eakin/Fiddler/Nystrom is absolutely fantastic.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
It does mean a lot though. Pucks bounce off random sticks, skates, and pads and go in. Rebounds find the open man alone on the doorstep. That's why coaches go on and on about just getting pucks on net. No one ever says, "We've got to wait for the perfect passing play and take only high quality chances".
Seems to be a bit of a catch 22 at times though. Since Giguere was brought up I'll run with that one as an example. First off, winning while giving up a lot of shots is obviously dependent upon having a good goaltender. When Anaheim made the SCF in 2003 they were giving up 33.5 shots per game. Their winning percentage when being outshot was 70.6%. During those playoffs there were two schools of thought, one was to fire everything you can at Giguere hoping the laws of averages are in your favor. The other was to be patient, play your game and try to make a play to create a better scoring chance.

Obviously, this type of mental game is more present during a playoff series but it happens in individual games too, where a goalie is playing out of his mind stopping a ton of shots and the other team has to decide if they're going to try and "get lucky" on one of a ton of shots or if they're going to try and outskill the goalie and truly "beat him."

In last year's playoffs the Coyotes gave up the most shots per game but managed to get to the WCF. Was that mostly because of goaltending or a system that pushes shot attempts to bad spots? Obviously, you'd rather have the shot differential in your favor but on the list of things that's "broken" with this incarnation of the Stars there are more pressing matters than shots given up. Considering that our goaltenders seem capable of handling the shots being faced, the inverse issue seems to be the bigger problem - not shooting enough.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Sure, you can find outliers if you look hard enough. For every 1 team that succeeded despite giving up lots of shots there are 10 others that excelled in preventing shots.

Giguere's run was just ridiculous. And he got absurdly lucky during it. And of course there was his equipment.

The Coyotes got pretty lucky too. Stuff like that can happen in short series. They got badly outclassed in the WCF.

Both of those teams also didn't have as bad shot differentials as the Stars.

It's one thing to give up a ton of shots if you're playing run and gun and your defense can generate roughly equal amounts of offense. The Stars can't do that either though.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
True. My point is really about shot differential, and given that the Stars do have a pretty damn good goalie who seems capable of handling the workload I would put more effort toward improving the offense and taking fewer penalties. Time spent killing penalties is time spent receiving shots and time spent not taking them. This thing would look a hell of a lot more balanced if would produce better results in the Win/Loss column if they could cut down the penalties to an acceptable level.

If we had an offense that was firing on all cylinders and a goalie who was a sieve I would be all for tightening up defensively as a matter of utmost importance.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Troy McClure

A better offense would also help by keeping the puck in the offensive zone for longer periods. Part of the goal scoring drought is caused by their difficulty maintaining pressure. As they start to generate better chemistry up front, it should lead to more cycling, better passing, and increased possession time. All of that will reduce shots against.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
livewell68

Quote:
A better offense would also help by keeping the puck in the offensive zone for longer periods. Part of the goal scoring drought is caused by their difficulty maintaining pressure. As they start to generate better chemistry up front, it should lead to more cycling, better passing, and increased possession time. All of that will reduce shots against.
Exactly. The Jagr-Benn combination has the making of becoming one of the best duos in the NHL.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Speculation (THIS IS NOT A RUMOR) from Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal:

Quote:
So if the Oilers are looking for a stop-gap centre, that’s a small price to pay to try and get big Dave Steckel out of Toronto or old face Marty Reasoner in Long Island or Swede Tom Wandell in Dallas, a healthy scratch against the Oilers.
It honestly does make sense for both teams. Dallas is 7 deep at center. Even if you personally feel Wandell is a better option than Roussel or Sceviour, I think the team is fine playing either one in front of him.

I don't really know where his value is at, but I think it'd probably be a bit more than Loktionov. Edmonton still has 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks this year, and they own all of their picks in 2014.

They wouldn't have to trade a player back because they have room on the 50 man roster, but I could see them wanting to include a guy with an expiring contract since they are at 48.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
English stars fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

It honestly does make sense for both teams. Dallas is 7 deep at center. Even if you personally feel Wandell is a better option than Roussel or Sceviour, I think the team is fine playing either one in front of him.

I don't really know where his value is at, but I think it'd probably be a bit more than Loktionov. Edmonton still has 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks this year, and they own all of their picks in 2014.

They wouldn't have to trade a player back because they have room on the 50 man roster, but I could see them wanting to include a guy with an expiring contract since they are at 48.
Wandell for Fistric

Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Troy McClure

Nieuwy should make sure to do the trade before the Stars play Edmonton again. He could guarantee the Stars winning a few extra faceoffs.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:

Awesome. Was just thinking last night that Wandell would probably do pretty well in Edmonton.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:

Do they not own their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
They should, but do you really expect to get a 1st for Wandell?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Nieuwy should make sure to do the trade before the Stars play Edmonton again. He could guarantee the Stars winning a few extra faceoffs.
This^

Old
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
They should, but do you really expect to get a 1st for Wandell?
Maybe this guy. Obviously it is because he is of Indian descent. If he doesn't pan out, it would at least be fun hearing Ralph and Razor butcher his name .

Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Do they not own their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks this year?
They traded their 3rd to Dallas for Mark Fistric, and I didn't check the other because it didn't seem relevant with Wandell. They've held on to picks like Dallas so I do believe they have both.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

This team needs to add another top-4 defenseman by the trade deadline. I thinking Jay Bouwmeester from Calgary. He's in a big contract, could likely be had for cheap and he's at least a #3 defensemen.

Could we have him for perhaps Goligoski and one of our forward prospects?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
This team needs to add another top-4 defenseman by the trade deadline. I thinking Jay Bouwmeester from Calgary. He's in a big contract, could likely be had for cheap and he's at least a #3 defensemen.

- He's signed to a pretty big contract that he's never lived up to. If we acquire him, it would be to play the role of a no.1 for us, and I doubt if he can do that.

- He's only signed for one more season. If we want to retain him, we'd have to fork out more than his already insane $6.68m hit. That still wouldn't work, because...

- ...I doubt if he'll stick around after his contract is over. If you recall, he clearly wanted out of the Sunbelt region and his dad is a little intrusive regarding his decisions.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather keep Goose and our forward prospects.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
txomisc

Quote:

Not willing to give up very much for Bouwmeester. His offense has already gone down the tubes, imagine whatll happen if Dallas gets their hands on him.

We dont need to add another top 4 dman at by the trade deadline. We need to stay the course and build from within. We have a good number of solid d prospects that could be real impact players in the next few years (oleksiak, larsen, dillon, nemeth, jokipakka), and another wave of guys who who are a little farther away but have high potential (bystrom, klingberg, lindell).

Old
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
- He's signed to a pretty big contract that he's never lived up to. If we acquire him, it would be to play the role of a no.1 for us, and I doubt if he can do that.

- He's only signed for one more season. If we want to retain him, we'd have to fork out more than his already insane $6.68m hit. That still wouldn't work, because...

- ...I doubt if he'll stick around after his contract is over. If you recall, he clearly wanted out of the Sunbelt region and his dad is a little intrusive regarding his decisions.

Thanks, but no thanks.
He's a big boy, I doubt his dad influences him that much now.

Right now he'd step I'm and be the best defensemen on this team. He can be had for cheap and he does good we can try to resign him if he's not any better than what he's playing like now who cares.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
BigG44

I still want to see them stay patient on defense. They aren't one good defenseman away from being a solid team, and they need to stick with playing who they have.

I don't think they'd trade Goligoski, and I like what Daley brings to the team. Rome is proving he's better than Pardy (I know that's not saying much), but he's fine coming out of the 7th spot or even playing 3rd pair minutes some. They didn't sign him to be a Top 4 D.

Dillon and Oleksiak already seem fairly firm in the Top 6, Dillon more so only because of a games played. We know they like Jordie Benn, and I think he'd still be a consistent Top 6 player on the D right now if it wasn't for him being the lowest ranked D with a two-way contract. Larsen still needs ice time, and Nemeth will push for NHL consideration as soon as next season probably.

The only thing I really want to see is Robidas move. If they can some how manage to land a better veteran D for him (EX: similar to replacing Ribeiro with Roy even though it was two separate deals) then I'm OK with that. Otherwise, just leave the D alone and let them grow. Robidas probably has similar value to all the that moved at the deadline last year. 2nd+3rd was popular, and Gill landed a prospect+2nd.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:

Right now he'd step I'm and be the best defensemen on this team. He can be had for cheap and he does good we can try to resign him if he's not any better than what he's playing like now who cares.
I don't think he would be that cheap. Calgary refuses to admit that they need to rebuild and they refuse to contemplate trading away their vets. You also look at the fact that he's only been in the playoffs once in his career and that was in the AHL. Didn't make in the WHL or the NHL. Florida was in the playoff hunt in 2009 and Bouwmeester all but quit on them knowing he would be a UFA. Calgary hasn't been in the playoffs since he got there. Joe has already trade away two guys with attitude/leadership issues. Why pay a high price for a guy who may have similar issues.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Not willing to give up very much for Bouwmeester. His offense has already gone down the tubes, imagine whatll happen if Dallas gets their hands on him.

We dont need to add another top 4 dman at by the trade deadline. We need to stay the course and build from within. We have a good number of solid d prospects that could be real impact players in the next few years (oleksiak, larsen, dillon, nemeth, jokipakka), and another wave of guys who who are a little farther away but have high potential (bystrom, klingberg, lindell).
I always forget about Jyrki "River Deck" Jokipakka.

He's one of Dallas older prospects outside of Texas, and I'd imagine he'll be joining the team in Austin next fall just as he's turning 22 years old.

Also, I left off Klingberg earlier as well, but I think he could potentially stay one more year in Sweden. After the disaster that occurred in Finland, it would be wise to let him spend another year in a familiar league. Plus, it's not like this prevents him from coming to NA, but he does have another year on his deal in the SEL.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
No confirmation whether that has changed, therefore no reason to believe otherwise.

Quote:
Right now he'd step I'm and be the best defensemen on this team.
It'd be great if he does, but...nope. Not risking it.

Quote:
He can be had for cheap
Giving away Goose and a forward prospect is not exactly cheap. Cheap would be Wandell + mid-tier prospect. BTW, his price-tag isn't cheap. It would severely restrict us in adding talent at other positions, and that wouldn't matter if he were playing like a no.1 D, but he is most definitely not.

Quote:
and he does good we can try to resign him if he's not any better than what he's playing like now who cares.
Ridiculous! I do care if he's not any better than what he's playing like now. So should you.

Closed Thread