HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012-13 News & Notes

Old
02-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
It could easily have been more as Simmonds suffered a concussion, Fair suspension.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

I am shocked that our resident staturbators have not passed along this stat pr0n analysis of Marcus Johansson:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...cus-johansson/

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I am shocked that our resident staturbators have not passed along this stat pr0n analysis of Marcus Johansson:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...cus-johansson/
I think its because none of us staturbators read that **** site.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Since nobody has posted it yet...
Quote:
Jay Beagle on #Caps issues: "I don't know if we have to sacrifice a cow or something." Start small? "No! I'm starting big. There's no time"

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Since nobody has posted it yet...
Oates has them believing they are playing correct hockey so it wouldn't surprise me if they just keep "waiting" for something to happen and feel sorry for themselves. Fans and coaches talk in terms of needing lucky bounces. Did anybody not see the goal Carlson scored against Pittsburgh? And they did nothing with it.

Sometimes you have to make your own luck.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I think its because none of us staturbators read that **** site.
No preseason games to analyze this year. No idea how they'll project any performance.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:01 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Is it commonly accepted that Ted was being a hardliner in the lockout AND was trying to get out of the Ovi contract in some regard; or was what I remember, speculation?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Is it commonly accepted that Ted was being a hardliner in the lockout AND was trying to get out of the Ovi contract in some regard; or was what I remember, speculation?
The former - yes, definitely. Elliote Friedman of the CBC fingered him as a hard-liner, and he's very reliable and well-respected.

Whether it was in part motivated by the latter, well. . . who knows. But if I were Ovie (or his family), I'd wonder about it.

And yeah I've also wondered if that's a factor in what we've seen so far this year - not purposeful by any means, but attitudinal? Mebbe.

Ovi's family trusted this organization, negotiated the contract without an agent, and he maybe could have made bigger bank going a different route (I wonder if they even fully grasped that $ could be clawed back by the next CBA), and then in the CBA TL sides with the hard-liners looking for claw-backs? Still gotta be a pro and all, but I could see being a bit pissed about it.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Thanks Marcel. I do think there may be a little bad blood right now. I am trying to explain the drop off in his numbers from the KHL, or more than that, his attitude, his approach to the game.

You tried to weasel out of my contract after what I did you for... and maybe there is a little resentment of Sasha being led to walk. While the wound is not fresh, this is the first time Ovi has to deal with the pressure of being our only scorer.

Apparently there is a poll out on Wapo should Ovi be traded.

The guy has a full plate, but also full pockets.

It's tough to be Ovi, or it's fun to be Ovi. We need to find a middle ground.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Millhaus

Leonis has also always said he will let Ovechkin play in Sochi even if the NHL decides not to shut down for the Olympics because he knows how important it is to him.

I love how people are trying to invent reasons to make it ok for Ovechkin to be playing so terribly...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
txpd

remember that most agents get between 15 and 20%. lets say ov got a deal at 10%. thats between $900k and $1m depending on the year of the contract. doing his own contract had great personal advantages.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Leonis has also always said he will let Ovechkin play in Sochi even if the NHL decides not to shut down for the Olympics because he knows how important it is to him.

I love how people are trying to invent reasons to make it ok for Ovechkin to be playing so terribly...
thats been going on for a while. if you dare suggest there is a problem, you take a lot of flak for it. i used to think it was in injury that one season. i am more convinced now that its something much more substantial.

it may be that ovechkin and his contract have already reached untradeable status.

currently i am becoming worried about backstrom as well.

seems like green is the only one of the three remaining young guns where his game seems to be pointed in the right direction.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Ovechkin is going to be on the Russian olympic roster?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
currently i am becoming worried about backstrom as well.
The funny thing with Backstrom is with as poorly as he has played he still has 8 points in 10 games. That just shows how easy it is to pick up points when you are getting the kind of prime ice time him and Ovechkin are getting regardless of how you are playing. If he starts playing worth a damn again he shouldn't have too much of a problem getting his production back to the glory days level.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ovechkin is going to be on the Russian olympic roster?
Yeah I think unless he is hurt it doesn't matter how he is playing he is a lock for that team. It is what it is...

Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah I think unless he is hurt it doesn't matter how he is playing he is a lock for that team. It is what it is...
Maybe it'll be good for us I guess. He played the best hockey I've ever seen in the 50 or so days before the Vancouver games.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Maybe it'll be good for us I guess. He played the best hockey I've ever seen in the 50 or so days before the Vancouver games.
Well it can't be worse for us so I definitely hope you are right.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:39 PM
BobRouse

http://www.japersrink.com/2013/2/7/3...itals-trap-fml

Outstanding article and it confirms everything I thought at the time which is reinforced now.

The trap (I still think GMGM are the "voices" BB was hearing) sunk us for good.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
tycoonheart

There is no doubt in my mind GMGM is the one who told Bruce to utilize the trap.

Then GMGM hires Dale who too uses the trap, but tell him after the end of the season that he wants more offense.

Make up your damn mind McPhee.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
There is no doubt in my mind GMGM is the one who told Bruce to utilize the trap.

Then GMGM hires Dale who too uses the trap, but tell him after the end of the season that he wants more offense.

Don't forget after Dale walked, George said he had no idea Dale would be so defensive.

Even if he was not lying, why would he think Dale wouldn't do it, especially after the world saw BB all but forced to use it, which helped turn this team around just the year before.

Apparently Dale had been trapping up in London as well, contrary to early reports I heard implying otherwise.

George is flying by the seat of his pants with the rookie coaches. He blames them for what they try to do, but it was he that decided on hiring guys that didn't know what to do, forced to fly themselves.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:

It looks to me like McPhee builds his rosters' to his coaches' demands. BB uses run and gun, McPhee gives him a roster with guys like Fleischmann and Fehr on the 3rd line and deals away the team captain (Clark) for someone with more speed (Chimera). BB goes trap, McPhee adds two defensemen (Hannan and Wideman) and brings in Jason Arnott that year, and then adds a bunch of physical and/or responsible players in the off-season (Brouwer, Ward, Hamrlik). We go into this past off-season without a coach, and McPhee builds a roster with no clear purpose.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

This falls right in line to explain why most of us are frustrated with McPhee. His philosophy seems like a moving target and he never sticks with a plan.

I am with you as I said...I am convinced it was GMGM. Remember .,..Ron Wilson was a wide open style hockey coach in Anaheim. He comes here and within a short period of time goes to the "center lock". Hanlon had a very aggressive attacking style of play...then we hit a rough patch (Ovie's 2nd season) and we went to the Trap in an afternoon game vs the Pens and sucked for the rest of that year and the beginning of the following before Hanlon was aced.

BB, who had NEVER used a trap before, hears "voices" and suddenly uses the Trap.

Connect the dots..

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It looks to me like McPhee builds his rosters' to his coaches' demands. BB uses run and gun, McPhee gives him a roster with guys like Fleischmann and Fehr on the 3rd line and deals away the team captain (Clark) for someone with more speed (Chimera). BB goes trap, McPhee adds two defensemen (Hannan and Wideman) and brings in Jason Arnott that year, and then adds a bunch of physical and/or responsible players in the off-season (Brouwer, Ward, Hamrlik). We go into this past off-season without a coach, and McPhee builds a roster with no clear purpose.
Doesn't change anything but it's worth noting he was looking to acquire Hannan in the off-season before '10-'11. He said talks had begun then, probably after they lost out on Willie Mitchell (part of the same search for that kind of defenseman).

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
This falls right in line to explain why most of us are frustrated with McPhee. His philosophy seems like a moving target and he never sticks with a plan.

I am with you as I said...I am convinced it was GMGM. Remember .,..Ron Wilson was a wide open style hockey coach in Anaheim. He comes here and within a short period of time goes to the "center lock". Hanlon had a very aggressive attacking style of play...then we hit a rough patch (Ovie's 2nd season) and we went to the Trap in an afternoon game vs the Pens and sucked for the rest of that year and the beginning of the following before Hanlon was aced.

BB, who had NEVER used a trap before, hears "voices" and suddenly uses the Trap.

Connect the dots..
That is some pretty damning evidence, IMO. Now watch Oates start using the trap next week.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Still haven't read a decent explanation of why these fools suck so bad on the pp. If the overpaid core converted just 20% on the pp last year, we probably would have won the cup. Trapping as hard as we did.

What did we have... $35 million on the pp last year? And they couldn't score for ****.