HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby Says "Fans Didn't Show Much Class"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,692
vCash: 50
Crosby Says "Fans Didn't Show Much Class"

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/38835/


Let's keep this civil. I posted this because I figured someone else would. If there is flaming or trolling report the post. Do not respond!!!

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
  #2
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 10,031
vCash: 500
Why do people have to be classy? It's a hockey game. It's supposed to be rowdy, right?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  #3
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 5,127
vCash: 3178
He is right, it wasn't very classy, but I think fans also knew that it was not something major considering how quickly he got up. If they were bringing a stretcher out for him I don't think anyone would be chanting "Crosby sucks". The Penguins-Islanders have a good rivalry going lately, I don't think it was a big deal.

WangMustGo is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #4
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 500
Crosby just complains about anything that doesn't suit him, which is the precisely same thing as the Pittsburgh organization as a whole.

Get over it, it's a hockey game, not a prom

Islander Prophet is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
  #5
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,588
vCash: 7125
Crosby is an incessant whiner and crybaby, who deserves zero respect on the ice. However, cheering when another human being (even loathsome ones) is injured IS a pretty classless move.

IceAce is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  #6
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Crosby is an incessant whiner and crybaby, who deserves zero respect on the ice. However, cheering when another human being (even loathsome ones) is injured IS a pretty classless move.
Who despite injuries might be one of the best talents this game has ever seen. He should command respect on the ice.

xECK29x is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
  #7
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,910
vCash: 500
I have to agree with Sid on this one. I never like seeing anyone get injured, especially the best players in the game. Do I like Sid's whining on the ice, no,, I hate it, I didn't like when Gretzky did it as well. But do I wanna see Sid get injured just cause he whines ? Hell no. I love the way Sid plays the game, great skater, great shot, amazing passer, just an amazing player. To play in this era, a truly defensive era, and still be 5th all time in points per game average is truly an amazing feat Gretzky, Lemiueux, Orr & Bossy are 1-4 ppg average, with Gretzky, Lemiuex & Bossy playing in the wide open offensive era. I truly admire Crosby and I'd be thrilled to have him on the Isles.

Now if it were a jerk like Sean Avery, or a guy like Chris Simon, I could understand the fans cheering.

scott99 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
  #8
bvon44
Registered User
 
bvon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Certainly wasn't right what the fans did, but, the teams are rivals and the same thing would have happened at MSG, in Jersey, in Philly, and in Washington. While people say Crosby is whiner and such, no one would care if he was a marginal third or fourth liner. Crosby is hated because he is damn good and if anything it should be taken as a compliment (all be it a backhanded one) that fans cheer when he's hurt, and I'll reiterate if Crosby had his throat cut or other similar type serious injury, the fans would have cheered but then stopped when they discovered the severity of the situation. Nobody wants to see anybody get gravely hurt.

bvon44 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
  #9
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Crosby tears nomz

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
  #10
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
Penguins fans and their entire bench were cheering and slapping Brent Johnson on the back when he broke Dipietro's jaw and the PA then started playing House of Pain's Jump Around as Dipeitro was led off the ice obviously injured. Glass houses Cindy, glass houses.

danteipp is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
  #11
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,007
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Crosby is an incessant whiner and crybaby, who deserves zero respect on the ice. However, cheering when another human being (even loathsome ones) is injured IS a pretty classless move.
I agree and not to bring back some bad memories but i believe in the Buffalo playoff series some of the fans were throwing all kinds of things on the ice. I'm glad he is ok and i also believe you do NOT cheer another human's injury. Michael Irvin hurt his neck in Philly one year and was taken off on a stretcher and 70,000 people applauded when the injury occurred and i never want to be associated with any fan that acts that way.

I also do believe this is a pure jealousy thing because what has Sid done to us to warrant the applause? His team is currently better and we are a bottom 5 team. You can't blame Sid for that, blame/boo your owner!!!!

MattMartin is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
  #12
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Why do people have to be classy? It's a hockey game. It's supposed to be rowdy, right?
Yep, X1000.

I personally would not have cheered. When did hockey games turn into libraries though? The crowds are pretty tame compared to what they used to be.

If it was in Philly 20 years ago somebody probably would have thrown a beer/battery/etc at him while he was laying on the ice.

macleod50 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
  #13
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 500
So I am supposed to support a guy who takes an extra shot at Mac after a whistle? Regardless of how hard or hos much Mac may have went down, Crosby made a clear gesture after the whistle, not just to Mac but to the entire Islanders team with that move.

I never support someone getting hurt of injured but Karma has a funny way of coming back to bite ya.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
  #14
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,007
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Penguins fans and their entire bench were cheering and slapping Brent Johnson on the back when he broke Dipietro's jaw and the PA then started playing House of Pain's Jump Around as Dipeitro was led off the ice obviously injured. Glass houses Cindy, glass houses.
Agreed but nobody was aware of the extent of DP's injury until afterwords. I think this is a apples to oranges theory + one was a fight when people sometimes get hurt and or knocked out and cheer for what they think was a good punch (actually a forearm shiver). DP put himself in harms way and this was a accident.

MattMartin is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
  #15
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Yep, X1000.

I personally would not have cheered. When did hockey games turn into libraries though? The crowds are pretty tame compared to what they used to be.

If it was in Philly 20 years ago somebody probably would have thrown a beer/battery/etc at him while he was laying on the ice.
Yeah, now they proably would have just thrown up on him in Philly. Man they have gotten tame in that town. Such mild-mannered people these days.

danteipp is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
  #16
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 19,054
vCash: 500
I dont think its right to cheer for an injured player but at the same time these things(injuries) happen so much in every hockey game that it becomes the norm and as fans it desensitizes us....

If he was on a stretcher I dont think it would have been the same reaction....every fanbase has its knucleheads.

StrongIslanders90 is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
  #17
StillAnIslesFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Crosby needs to learn some hockey history, and possibly many fans as well.
The glass on the ends was originally fencing, which was installed to protect the players from the fans, not the fans from pucks.

I do agree it was classless, as I told a good friend who is from Pitt and obviously a Pens fan, but no need to whine about is Sid, just do what you are paid to do, play hockey and shut up!

StillAnIslesFan is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
  #18
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Sorry, but the Penguins, including Crosby, don't deserve any respect or class from the Islanders or their fans. Not after the way they have disrespected the Isles. Sure he's a great player and we don't wish injury on anyone, but injuries are part of the game. This was a routine one as far as hockey goes, he skated off for stitches. It's not like he was laying unconscious or had to be carried off. Penguins deserved the beatdown they got 2 years ago, and that crybaby Crosby deserves all the venom he receives.

Chardo is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
  #19
danteipp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Agreed but nobody was aware of the extent of DP's injury until afterwords. I think this is a apples to oranges theory + one was a fight when people sometimes get hurt and or knocked out and cheer for what they think was a good punch (actually a forearm shiver). DP put himself in harms way and this was a accident.
Rick was obviously hurt, prone on his back for a few seconds while attended to by the officials and then led off the ice. At a minimum you would have assumed it was a concussion. I see little difference in cheering an injured player regardless of cause.

danteipp is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  #20
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
ohhh man. He's never gong to come here now.

Macch is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  #21
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Rick was obviously hurt, prone on his back for a few seconds while attended to by the officials and then led off the ice. At a minimum you would have assumed it was a concussion. I see little difference in cheering an injured player regardless of cause.
Bingo. DP was clearly hurt. I get that the circumstances were different...one was a fight and the other a puck to the face. But the end result was the same...a hurt player on the ice and fans cheering. If holier-than-thou folks in Pitt....from the announcers, to the players to fans...aren't willing to be held responsible for all the Pens fans that were cheering and making jokes even days afterward when the extent of DP's injury was revealed, then they shouldn't preach about class or expect any of us to be held accountable for all Islanders fans' reactions the other night. Cripes, let's be real here, Sid got a boo boo and came back on the ice a short time later.


Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 02-07-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: then/than
Veteran journeyman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  #22
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
So, if I'm going to understand the discussion here, New York fans should be no better than Pittsburgh fans...

So I guess we should be happy if we're marginally classier than, what, Flyers fans? Well we should pat ourselves on the back, because that's exactly what we are.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
  #23
StillAnIslesFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Bingo. DP was clearly hurt. I get that the circumstances were different...one was a fight and the other a puck to the face. But the end result was the same...a hurt player on the ice and fans cheering. If holier-than-thou folks in Pitt....from the announcers, to the players to fans...aren't willing to be held responsible for all the Pens fans that were cheering and making jokes even days afterward when the extent of DP's injury was revealed, than they shouldn't preach about class or expect any of us to be held accountable for all Islanders fans' reactions the other night. Cripes, let's be real here, Sid got a boo boo and came back on the ice a short time later.
People are forgetting, well they never said and i have no *** clue why, that DP was elbowed in the cheek by Johnson's elbow pad. I am/was a goalie, and could clearly see that's what it was, not a punch to the face...

StillAnIslesFan is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
  #24
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,337
vCash: 500
I agree with Sidney. There's no reason to cheer another player getting injured. Especially the greatest player in the world.

Was Wayne Gretzky ever treated this way by rival fans?

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:57 PM
  #25
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I have to agree with Sid on this one. I never like seeing anyone get injured, especially the best players in the game. Do I like Sid's whining on the ice, no,, I hate it, I didn't like when Gretzky did it as well. But do I wanna see Sid get injured just cause he whines ? Hell no. I love the way Sid plays the game, great skater, great shot, amazing passer, just an amazing player. To play in this era, a truly defensive era, and still be 5th all time in points per game average is truly an amazing feat Gretzky, Lemiueux, Orr & Bossy are 1-4 ppg average, with Gretzky, Lemiuex & Bossy playing in the wide open offensive era. I truly admire Crosby and I'd be thrilled to have him on the Isles.

Now if it were a jerk like Sean Avery, or a guy like Chris Simon, I could understand the fans cheering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
So, if I'm going to understand the discussion here, New York fans should be no better than Pittsburgh fans...

So I guess we should be happy if we're marginally classier than, what, Flyers fans? Well we should pat ourselves on the back, because that's exactly what we are.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Just quoting these two posts to agree with every word typed in them, and then quietly leaving this thread before it inevitably turns to **** and gets locked.

Strummergas is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.