HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby Says "Fans Didn't Show Much Class"

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Crosby Says "Fans Didn't Show Much Class"

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/38835/

Let's keep this civil. I posted this because I figured someone else would. If there is flaming or trolling report the post. Do not respond!!!

02-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Why do people have to be classy? It's a hockey game. It's supposed to be rowdy, right?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
He is right, it wasn't very classy, but I think fans also knew that it was not something major considering how quickly he got up. If they were bringing a stretcher out for him I don't think anyone would be chanting "Crosby sucks". The Penguins-Islanders have a good rivalry going lately, I don't think it was a big deal.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Islander Prophet

Crosby just complains about anything that doesn't suit him, which is the precisely same thing as the Pittsburgh organization as a whole.

Get over it, it's a hockey game, not a prom

Old
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 7125
Crosby is an incessant whiner and crybaby, who deserves zero respect on the ice. However, cheering when another human being (even loathsome ones) is injured IS a pretty classless move.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Crosby is an incessant whiner and crybaby, who deserves zero respect on the ice. However, cheering when another human being (even loathsome ones) is injured IS a pretty classless move.
Who despite injuries might be one of the best talents this game has ever seen. He should command respect on the ice.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
scott99

I have to agree with Sid on this one. I never like seeing anyone get injured, especially the best players in the game. Do I like Sid's whining on the ice, no,, I hate it, I didn't like when Gretzky did it as well. But do I wanna see Sid get injured just cause he whines ? Hell no. I love the way Sid plays the game, great skater, great shot, amazing passer, just an amazing player. To play in this era, a truly defensive era, and still be 5th all time in points per game average is truly an amazing feat Gretzky, Lemiueux, Orr & Bossy are 1-4 ppg average, with Gretzky, Lemiuex & Bossy playing in the wide open offensive era. I truly admire Crosby and I'd be thrilled to have him on the Isles.

Now if it were a jerk like Sean Avery, or a guy like Chris Simon, I could understand the fans cheering.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
bvon44

Certainly wasn't right what the fans did, but, the teams are rivals and the same thing would have happened at MSG, in Jersey, in Philly, and in Washington. While people say Crosby is whiner and such, no one would care if he was a marginal third or fourth liner. Crosby is hated because he is damn good and if anything it should be taken as a compliment (all be it a backhanded one) that fans cheer when he's hurt, and I'll reiterate if Crosby had his throat cut or other similar type serious injury, the fans would have cheered but then stopped when they discovered the severity of the situation. Nobody wants to see anybody get gravely hurt.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
StumpNYI

Crosby tears nomz

Old
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
danteipp

Penguins fans and their entire bench were cheering and slapping Brent Johnson on the back when he broke Dipietro's jaw and the PA then started playing House of Pain's Jump Around as Dipeitro was led off the ice obviously injured. Glass houses Cindy, glass houses.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I agree and not to bring back some bad memories but i believe in the Buffalo playoff series some of the fans were throwing all kinds of things on the ice. I'm glad he is ok and i also believe you do NOT cheer another human's injury. Michael Irvin hurt his neck in Philly one year and was taken off on a stretcher and 70,000 people applauded when the injury occurred and i never want to be associated with any fan that acts that way.

I also do believe this is a pure jealousy thing because what has Sid done to us to warrant the applause? His team is currently better and we are a bottom 5 team. You can't blame Sid for that, blame/boo your owner!!!!

Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Why do people have to be classy? It's a hockey game. It's supposed to be rowdy, right?
Yep, X1000.

I personally would not have cheered. When did hockey games turn into libraries though? The crowds are pretty tame compared to what they used to be.

If it was in Philly 20 years ago somebody probably would have thrown a beer/battery/etc at him while he was laying on the ice.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
IslandersFan17

So I am supposed to support a guy who takes an extra shot at Mac after a whistle? Regardless of how hard or hos much Mac may have went down, Crosby made a clear gesture after the whistle, not just to Mac but to the entire Islanders team with that move.

I never support someone getting hurt of injured but Karma has a funny way of coming back to bite ya.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Penguins fans and their entire bench were cheering and slapping Brent Johnson on the back when he broke Dipietro's jaw and the PA then started playing House of Pain's Jump Around as Dipeitro was led off the ice obviously injured. Glass houses Cindy, glass houses.
Agreed but nobody was aware of the extent of DP's injury until afterwords. I think this is a apples to oranges theory + one was a fight when people sometimes get hurt and or knocked out and cheer for what they think was a good punch (actually a forearm shiver). DP put himself in harms way and this was a accident.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
danteipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Yep, X1000.

I personally would not have cheered. When did hockey games turn into libraries though? The crowds are pretty tame compared to what they used to be.

If it was in Philly 20 years ago somebody probably would have thrown a beer/battery/etc at him while he was laying on the ice.
Yeah, now they proably would have just thrown up on him in Philly. Man they have gotten tame in that town. Such mild-mannered people these days.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
StrongIslanders90

I dont think its right to cheer for an injured player but at the same time these things(injuries) happen so much in every hockey game that it becomes the norm and as fans it desensitizes us....

If he was on a stretcher I dont think it would have been the same reaction....every fanbase has its knucleheads.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
StillAnIslesFan

Crosby needs to learn some hockey history, and possibly many fans as well.
The glass on the ends was originally fencing, which was installed to protect the players from the fans, not the fans from pucks.

I do agree it was classless, as I told a good friend who is from Pitt and obviously a Pens fan, but no need to whine about is Sid, just do what you are paid to do, play hockey and shut up!

Old
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Chardo

Sorry, but the Penguins, including Crosby, don't deserve any respect or class from the Islanders or their fans. Not after the way they have disrespected the Isles. Sure he's a great player and we don't wish injury on anyone, but injuries are part of the game. This was a routine one as far as hockey goes, he skated off for stitches. It's not like he was laying unconscious or had to be carried off. Penguins deserved the beatdown they got 2 years ago, and that crybaby Crosby deserves all the venom he receives.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
danteipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Agreed but nobody was aware of the extent of DP's injury until afterwords. I think this is a apples to oranges theory + one was a fight when people sometimes get hurt and or knocked out and cheer for what they think was a good punch (actually a forearm shiver). DP put himself in harms way and this was a accident.
Rick was obviously hurt, prone on his back for a few seconds while attended to by the officials and then led off the ice. At a minimum you would have assumed it was a concussion. I see little difference in cheering an injured player regardless of cause.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Macch

ohhh man. He's never gong to come here now.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Rick was obviously hurt, prone on his back for a few seconds while attended to by the officials and then led off the ice. At a minimum you would have assumed it was a concussion. I see little difference in cheering an injured player regardless of cause.
Bingo. DP was clearly hurt. I get that the circumstances were different...one was a fight and the other a puck to the face. But the end result was the same...a hurt player on the ice and fans cheering. If holier-than-thou folks in Pitt....from the announcers, to the players to fans...aren't willing to be held responsible for all the Pens fans that were cheering and making jokes even days afterward when the extent of DP's injury was revealed, then they shouldn't preach about class or expect any of us to be held accountable for all Islanders fans' reactions the other night. Cripes, let's be real here, Sid got a boo boo and came back on the ice a short time later.

Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 02-07-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: then/than
Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Dan-o16

So, if I'm going to understand the discussion here, New York fans should be no better than Pittsburgh fans...

So I guess we should be happy if we're marginally classier than, what, Flyers fans? Well we should pat ourselves on the back, because that's exactly what we are.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
StillAnIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Bingo. DP was clearly hurt. I get that the circumstances were different...one was a fight and the other a puck to the face. But the end result was the same...a hurt player on the ice and fans cheering. If holier-than-thou folks in Pitt....from the announcers, to the players to fans...aren't willing to be held responsible for all the Pens fans that were cheering and making jokes even days afterward when the extent of DP's injury was revealed, than they shouldn't preach about class or expect any of us to be held accountable for all Islanders fans' reactions the other night. Cripes, let's be real here, Sid got a boo boo and came back on the ice a short time later.
People are forgetting, well they never said and i have no *** clue why, that DP was elbowed in the cheek by Johnson's elbow pad. I am/was a goalie, and could clearly see that's what it was, not a punch to the face...

Old
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I agree with Sidney. There's no reason to cheer another player getting injured. Especially the greatest player in the world.

Was Wayne Gretzky ever treated this way by rival fans?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I have to agree with Sid on this one. I never like seeing anyone get injured, especially the best players in the game. Do I like Sid's whining on the ice, no,, I hate it, I didn't like when Gretzky did it as well. But do I wanna see Sid get injured just cause he whines ? Hell no. I love the way Sid plays the game, great skater, great shot, amazing passer, just an amazing player. To play in this era, a truly defensive era, and still be 5th all time in points per game average is truly an amazing feat Gretzky, Lemiueux, Orr & Bossy are 1-4 ppg average, with Gretzky, Lemiuex & Bossy playing in the wide open offensive era. I truly admire Crosby and I'd be thrilled to have him on the Isles.

Now if it were a jerk like Sean Avery, or a guy like Chris Simon, I could understand the fans cheering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
So, if I'm going to understand the discussion here, New York fans should be no better than Pittsburgh fans...

So I guess we should be happy if we're marginally classier than, what, Flyers fans? Well we should pat ourselves on the back, because that's exactly what we are.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Just quoting these two posts to agree with every word typed in them, and then quietly leaving this thread before it inevitably turns to **** and gets locked.

Closed Thread