HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT/ANA] Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for a 5th in 2014

Old
02-07-2013, 05:33 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
HF posters complaining about a 7th defenseman? How unusual. 7th defensemen are prone to have big holes in their games, and a 7th defenseman is all the Ducks need (well, apart from a #1). If Lovejoy plays up to his capabilities, he's better than Nate Guenin (who was decent last year though) and Jordan Hendry. A change of scenery hopefully does him good.
He's fine as a #7. Some Pens fans were just frustrated with him being used as a #6 too often The Pens have better players on the roster who need to be seeing time over the Reverend. That's all.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:48 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Lovejoy was useless there so I like the trade for Pittsburgh. Who knows what the fifth will turn out to be but it's something for a guy that literally had no trade value.
The chances that the guy that we pick, will have 0 trade value are very very high, too

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
If Lovejoy got a fifth (not a bad price) I have no clue what LA was doing.
Trading a player who publicly requested a trade vs. trading a piece who the Pens can afford to give up but probably weren't actively shopping

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:55 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks View Post
Any Penguins fans have a sarcasm-free scouting report on Lovejoy?
Lovejoy is a quality defenseman. He's a 5-7 guy and he has a really well rounded skillset. He can definitely pass and shoot a puck, and he can play a smart game. The real knock on him, IMO, is that he can be a little too passive, though he has a pretty good frame, and his ability to think the game at the NHL level, I question a slight bit.

Lovejoy just got lost in the shuffle in Pittsburgh. He is definitely an NHL'er, and he could be used to add some really good defensive depth.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:56 AM
JTG

And people are forgetting to realize when comparing Loktionov deal to Lovejoy's...this pick is in 2014. LA's pick is in 2013.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, Lovejoy is certainly an NHL caliber player. I don't think he's good as a #7 though. Certain veterans can come right in after not playing for long stretches and not miss a beat. I don't think Lovejoy is that way though. I think his game really suffers when he isn't consistently in the lineup. He needs to play, go through the ups and downs and develop. Hard to say if he'll get that opportunity in Anaheim but he'll be UFA at the end of the season and could look to latch on with a team that has a weak group of D so that he does get that chance.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
dannyj10

At times I really hatedovejoy but he's not terrible. If he can put it together and stop making those dumb mistakes in he's end he'd be a good 6/7 guy. Maybe in Boudreau's system he'll do better. Best of luck Ben!

dannyj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
SteelFish87*

good move for both teams

Lovejoy might have just needed a change of scenery just like Niskanen did

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
HF posters complaining about a 7th defenseman? How unusual. 7th defensemen are prone to have big holes in their games, and a 7th defenseman is all the Ducks need (well, apart from a #1). If Lovejoy plays up to his capabilities, he's better than Nate Guenin (who was decent last year though) and Jordan Hendry. A change of scenery hopefully does him good.
We are just really frustrated that they decided to keep Lovejoy over Strait which we lost via waivers to the Islanders considering Brian was a better player then Ben. We could have dealt Ben earlier or put him on waivers but Shero screwed up

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Love seeing his actual value.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Lovejoy is a quality defenseman. He's a 5-7 guy and he has a really well rounded skillset. He can definitely pass and shoot a puck, and he can play a smart game. The real knock on him, IMO, is that he can be a little too passive, though he has a pretty good frame, and his ability to think the game at the NHL level, I question a slight bit.

Lovejoy just got lost in the shuffle in Pittsburgh. He is definitely an NHL'er, and he could be used to add some really good defensive depth.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. I really don't think Lovejoy's good enough to be the kind of player you want as your 5th best defenseman, not unless you're aiming for the 1st overall pick the following June.

Ideally, he's a #7 who can slot in as a #6 if a team has injuries or if they want a bit more mobility/puck moving on the bottom pairing. He's a good skater, jumps into the rush, decent outlet pass, but his shot is erratic, he's not very physical, and he's kind of all over the place in the defensive zone. He's the very definition, IMO, of an "emergency policy", a depth guy.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
THANK GOD!!!!!! WoOOOOOoOoooo
And we lost Strait for nothing in order to keep Lovejoy. Although I would have grudgingly taken a 5th for Strait and waived Lovejoy... so I guess it works out...

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
The chances that the guy that we pick, will have 0 trade value are very very high, too
Sure is. But you got something for him when he really had no value at all. Fifth is likely to turn out being nothing anyway, but there's always a small chance. It'll look good if you find a gem with that pick.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Sure is. But you got something for him when he really had no value at all. Fifth is likely to turn out being nothing anyway, but there's always a small chance. It'll look good if you find a gem with that pick.
Wasn't Jamie Benn a 5th rounder?

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
sens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
trust me, a 5th might be pricey for Lovejoy.
we need depth dmen , counting on gonch and philips to play 20 plus mins and be healthy all year is not confidence inspiring

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The guy qualified that with 'likely.' A fifth rounder is unlikely to become much of anything and you have almost as much of a chance of winning the lottery as getting a fifth to become another Benn.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The guy qualified that with 'likely.' A fifth rounder is unlikely to become much of anything and you have almost as much of a chance of winning the lottery as getting a fifth to become another Benn.
I'd take my chance on the 5th

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
How shero ever robbed the ducks of a 5th round pick for his useless ass the world will never know! BRAVO RS again bending over the ducks GM!
Relax. It's a 5th round pick that has about a 1% chance of turning into an NHL player.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Bobby Smash

I like it from Anaheim's standpoint. They have a good history of getting d-men in their mid-late 20s and making them better. Beauchemin, Brookbank, Huskins, DiPenta, to name a few.

Bobby Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:22 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Relax. It's a 5th round pick that has about a 1% chance of turning into an NHL player.
Still it is a chance at something... I would have been spraying my pants if shero was able to get a 7th rounder for him, let alone the ducks paying a 5th!

If he is in your line up for more than 2-3 games in a row be prepared to start pulling your hair out.

90% of the time the guy is BRUTAL and constantly chasing the play / panicking / fumbling around and fumbling the puck.

Amazed shero got ANYTHING for him other than "future considerations"

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:23 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Did you say "winning the lottery" in the context of the Pens?!

Old
02-08-2013, 05:26 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
And we lost Strait for nothing in order to keep Lovejoy. Although I would have grudgingly taken a 5th for Strait and waived Lovejoy... so I guess it works out...
Yeah, it really blew my mind they even kept BLJ around and gave him a shot this year.

I am just beyond pumped to not have "the best 7th defensemen in the league" on this roster anymore!

This teams D needs to be tougher to play against and this BLJ move is addition by subtraction! WoOoo

Old
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Shoofyou10

Quote:
Wasnt Tom Brady a 6th round pick?

But seriously, seems like a win-win. The Ducks could use a stop gap and some depth and for the Pens we get to keep Boychuk, get a pick, and get rid of some excess in the back end.

I dont think Ben is that bad. he's a fine last pairing guy. Not going to dazzle anyone but can skate and make some things happen.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote