HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
benzino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Let's all chip in for a bus ticket.... one way.
Where should we send him? I heard Mobile, Alabama is nice

Old
02-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
Where should we send him? I heard Mobile, Alabama is nice
Somewhere he can't come back from, like a Bombay slum. Yes. By bus.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Complete joke. This guy is still riding on Andersons miraculous yr.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Somewhere he can't come back from, like a Bombay slum. Yes. By bus.
Juarez Mexico with no identification gets my vote.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
shipwrecked dani

Sacco stinks. Man doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Veritas0Aequitas

New guy here but I've been an Avs fan since they came here in '95. I never liked Sacco as a coach and I thought they should have fired him after the 2011 season. I just don't believe the guy has the "it factor" like Babcock, Hitchcock, Tortorella, Bylsma, Laviolette, etc do. He strikes me as a relatively knowledgable guy, but I do not think he's an NHL quality coach. Like someone else said, he's riding that one hot season from Anderson still.

He needs to go and it would be nice if the organization looked to the outside instead of being so ******* incestual *cough* Lacroix carryover *cough* to find someone to help the kids progress.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:34 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Whatever happened to Roy looking for a HC job? I think that type of hardass just might be what this team needs right now. Sacco is way too soft for this team, we need someone with a voice.

What is Roy up to these days anyways?
I don't think Roy would take over mid-season.

That said, I could see it this summer. If the Avs flounder and miss the playoffs once again, they may be desperate enough to give into all of Roy's demands. He also would be walking into a much better situation than he would have 3 years ago in terms of having most of the right pieces in place, even moreso if the Avs tank out completely and get Jones.

If the Avs do not right the ship somewhat during the rest of the month, I don't think Sacco will last past the trade deadline. If that is the case, have Sakic jump in coach the rest of the season, hand the money and keys to the franchise to Roy come summer...keep Sherman on as the "GM" (I think he has shown enough that he can be valuable to the franchise) but give Roy some GM powers, and promote Sakic to the full time club president role. Let Roy, Sakic, and Sherman clean out some of the rif-raft depth players and move some of the prospects that are not going anywhere with the Avs, draft one of the top tier prospects, and make one big splash on the UFA market and 1-2 small depth signings.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Does anyone else notice how our team seems to have the worse line changes perhaps in the history of hockey? atleast 3-4 times a game we get caught on terrible line changes. Terrible bench management by Sacco.
Does not help that he has 2 new assistants, and typically the assistant coaches handle changes on the fly. New assistants + zero camp + young team + a few new players + injury callups + a coach on the hot seat = a team that lacks operational flow and chemistry on the ice and bench.

Sacco should also not be blamed for not having the teams best defensive center on the team as well. If O'Reilly were playing, HE would be taking a good chunk of the defensive zone faceoffs. He also would be out there taking the draws on the PK, freeing up more even strength shifts for Stastny and Duchene, having more stable PK units that did not have the faceoff center ditching for the PK'er as soon as the zone was cleared, raising the teams ability to win faceoffs -- thus resulting in less chasing of the puck...ext.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
So I had some time and was looking at Sacco's tenure here as Avs head coach. Take from these stats what you will.
2009-10
43-30-9 over 82 games
31-25-8 vs west
C- 12-5-3 P- 9-9-2 NW- 10-11-3
12-5-1 vs east

2010-11
30-44-8 over 82
22-39-3 vs west
C- 11-8-1 P- 4-15-1 NW- 7-16-1
8-5-5 vs east

2011-12
41-35-6 over 82
28-31-5 vs west
C- 9-9-2 P- 11-8-1 NW- 8-14-2
13-4-1 vs east

early this year but still
4-5
C- 1-0-0 P- 1-2-0 NW 2-3-0

over his career so far he is 118-114-23
Versus the west 85-100-16
C-33-22-6 P- 25-34-4 NW- 27-44-6
Versus the east 33-14-7

interpret those anyway you guys want.
This is huge leak. His team sucks against his own division. That should be our strength. Fire this bum already. I'm really hoping for huge losing streak, so we can get rid of this clown. If he keeps his job even after this year, omg.. We are never going to win anything.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=112

I will be providing a redux version for the viewing audience in the coming days. Thought I'd share this ahead of time to help ease people's pain though, it made me smile that's for sure.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Does not help that he has 2 new assistants, and typically the assistant coaches handle changes on the fly. New assistants + zero camp + young team + a few new players + injury callups + a coach on the hot seat = a team that lacks operational flow and chemistry on the ice and bench.

Sacco should also not be blamed for not having the teams best defensive center on the team as well. If O'Reilly were playing, HE would be taking a good chunk of the defensive zone faceoffs. He also would be out there taking the draws on the PK, freeing up more even strength shifts for Stastny and Duchene, having more stable PK units that did not have the faceoff center ditching for the PK'er as soon as the zone was cleared, raising the teams ability to win faceoffs -- thus resulting in less chasing of the puck...ext.
I find it telling that Sacco has more trouble keeping assistants than any coach I remember. Its not like his previous ones are leaving for NHL head coaching jobs. I just see this as another little bit of evidence that much of this team's struggles lead back to Sacco.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Lol Sacco.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:40 AM
chet1926

Sad part about this is even if management had the balls to fire Sacco (which they don't), you and I both know that they'd only replace him with Quinn, which wouldn't do us any good either. There is no way we'd ever go out and get a coach with any experience from outside the organization.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Word for word that will be what Sherman and Sacco say at the end of year press conference justifying Sacco's continued employment.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Interestingly (just noticed this post) our line changes have been abysmal all of Sacco's tenure as a coach, something tells me his assistants have less to do with it than we may think.

That, or NHL coaches never learned coaching 101. I'm leaning towards it being Sacco...

Basically, the guy has us dump the puck and change every time. Not when under pressure only, not occasionally, but every time. What we should be doing is maintaining puck possession during line changes, using the defense. Change the defense when we gain the offensive zone. Perform partial line changes when under duress and have the left/right wingers switching sides to get the tired players off the ice quicker (e.g. Send out the left winger to switch with the right winger to transition the current left winger off the ice).

This is basic stuff I teach 14 year olds. Hell, I rotate 3 defenders 50% of my games with 1 minute shifts and they all understand that the new guy goes far side when he comes off the rink and cuts in near side when someone comes off.

Why can't NHL players perform this basic thing?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Cullen Bohannon

#FireSacco

Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I kind of feel sad for wanting Sacco fired because he seems like a great guy, but he is getting absolutely nothing from his players. I think Granato was worse than Sacco, but at least he brought compete level every night to the team.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I kind of feel sad for wanting Sacco fired because he seems like a great guy, but he is getting absolutely nothing from his players. I think Granato was worse than Sacco, but at least he had compete level every night.
Granade-o as much as he sucked had passion
Joe Sacco has no hockey passion

#Saccomustgo

Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
EdAVSfan

I think Sacco definitely needs to go before any huge lineup changes are done.

But I also dont think that he should be fired before the end of the season.

Its imperative that a team buys into a new coach's "system." Give a new coach a full off-season, the addition of a potentially, top 5 pick, have him have a say in who should stay and who should go.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
kocionthecouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I think Sacco definitely needs to go before any huge lineup changes are done.

But I also dont think that he should be fired before the end of the season.

Its imperative that a team buys into a new coach's "system." Give a new coach a full off-season, the addition of a potentially, top 5 pick, have him have a say in who should stay and who should go.
St. Louis certainly didn't need the full off season when they hired Hitchcock during the season last year. In fact he came in and made an impact within a week or two. Our problem is that there aren't a whole lot of Hitchcock type coaches just sitting at home waiting for a phone call.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocionthecouch View Post
St. Louis certainly didn't need the full off season when they hired Hitchcock during the season last year. In fact he came in and made an impact within a week or two. Our problem is that there aren't a whole lot of Hitchcock type coaches just sitting at home waiting for a phone call.
Kings players didn't need long too. Hockey systems aren't overly complex especially to elite players at NHL level.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
Kings players didn't need long too. Hockey systems aren't overly complex especially to elite players at NHL level.
Apparently the meatheads in Washington are having a hella time adapting to Oates's system.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Veritas0Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Sad part about this is even if management had the balls to fire Sacco (which they don't), you and I both know that they'd only replace him with Quinn, which wouldn't do us any good either. There is no way we'd ever go out and get a coach with any experience from outside the organization.
Gotta love that nepotism.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Sad but true. Looking at the available coaches, as well as the guys potentially on the hot seat, it's disappointing to think we're probably going with Quinn, Army, or the guy in Lake Erie as Sacco's eventual replacement.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Sad but true. Looking at the available coaches, as well as the guys potentially on the hot seat, it's disappointing to think we're probably going with Quinn, Army, or the guy in Lake Erie as Sacco's eventual replacement.
I'd rather have Quinn or Army serve as ONLY INTERIM for the rest of the year than keep watching Sacco do whatever it is he does.

Closed Thread