Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
GORGO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I have issues with both of these statements in bold..

First off, how can you make the claim that he isn't "that good" after only watching him play 9 games? My gawd....There have been MANY good, really good, and even great players that have gotten off to slower starts than he has. A little patience please?

Secondly, he is not "slow and weak". While he's not a blazer, he definitely has NHL-calibre speed and he isn't weak either. He's over 180 lbs on a 5'10" frame. He's gotten knocked off the puck a few times, but he's going through an adjustment. I thought he looked better against Phoenix on the wing....and I think the wing is where he should stay for the time being.
I would have to agree here: A good comparison IMO would be Derek Stepan of the Rangers: Although i believe DS is bit taller than MG. He is not a real strong skater , and I would consider him weak by NHL standard's, but has tremendous vision and awareness. And although off to a bit of a slow start this year Stepan is Very good in both end's of the rink and has over 100 NHL point's i believe already in a little over 2 year's in the Leauge. I really think in time Granlund will adjust and be a very good 2 way player in this Leauge..Guess we'll see.. eh?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Technically Coyle was instantly put on the 2nd line, just as Granlund was. I think his ascent to the top line is more a "playing style fit" than anything else.
That's probably true. But I would've still chosen my words more carefully if I were Yeo.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Maybe it's because they are playing Vancouver and it's a style fit.

Last edited by Jarick: 02-07-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Mikke needed to get scratched 3 games ago. Doing it after last game is a great way to send the wrong signal.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

WOW - the amount of angst over a ROOKIE being scratched for one game is laughable.

You'd think Yeo was scratching Parise AND Koivu based on all the anger here.

We have a rookie who is struggling, and our competition tonight is one of the cheapest teams in the league. They have idiots like Burrows, Lappierre, Volpatti, Weise, Kassian, Hansen & Bieksa all of which would relish the chance to splatter Granlund all over the ice.

Seems to me that it is a good move to guard a fragile, struggling player from getting his head beat in. Plus sometimes seeing the game from above can help a struggling player to see some things a different way.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Mikke needed to get scratched 3 games ago. Doing it after last game is a great way to send the wrong signal.
I don't think so.

To be honest. Coyle fits the top line better than Granlund is. They need someone in front of that net to do the garbage work and can move their feet. Granlund isn't going to do that, nor should he be doing that. If I'm Yeo I simply tell the kid "look, I need to see how Rupp plays and we are trying to figure out what kind of line I want you to be part of. Until then I don't want to see you get hurt playing on a 'mash 'm up' line

Old
02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
WOW - the amount of angst over a ROOKIE being scratched for one game is laughable.

You'd think Yeo was scratching Parise AND Koivu based on all the anger here.

We have a rookie who is struggling, and our competition tonight is one of the cheapest teams in the league. They have idiots like Burrows, Lappierre, Volpatti, Weise, Kassian, Hansen & Bieksa all of which would relish the chance to splatter Granlund all over the ice.

Seems to me that it is a good move to guard a fragile, struggling player from getting his head beat in. Plus sometimes seeing the game from above can help a struggling player to see some things a different way.
This.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I don't think so.

To be honest. Coyle fits the top line better than Granlund is. They need someone in front of that net to do the garbage work and can move their feet. Granlund isn't going to do that, nor should he be doing that. If I'm Yeo I simply tell the kid "look, I need to see how Rupp plays and we are trying to figure out what kind of line I want you to be part of. Until then I don't want to see you get hurt playing on a 'mash 'm up' line
But wouldn't Koivu be the guy crashing the net if Granlund played there? I think he's a beast at doing that... Koivu and Granlund had some shifts together back in the WC2011 and IMO they looked damn good out there. I think it would be a great fit and I honestly don't understand why Coyle gets the opportunity before MG..

Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
But wouldn't Koivu be the guy crashing the net if Granlund played there? I think he's a beast at doing that... Koivu and Granlund had some shifts together back in the WC2011 and IMO they looked damn good out there. I think it would be a great fit and I honestly don't understand why Coyle gets the opportunity before MG..
Agreed!

It's ridonculous that Coyle gets the opportunity before Granlund since he's far less talented. But I do think that Coyle should be on the roster and they should call up Zucker and Dumba aswell. Give the young guys a chance and scratch guys like Cullen, Heatley, Konopka since I fail to see how they contribute anything at all to the team.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakux View Post
Agreed!

It's ridonculous that Coyle gets the opportunity before Granlund since he's far less talented. But I do think that Coyle should be on the roster and they should call up Zucker and Dumba aswell. Give the young guys a chance and scratch guys like Cullen, Heatley, Konopka since I fail to see how they contribute anything at all to the team.
It's not ridiculous. Coyle, a large, heavy forward with soft hands who can skate very well (and if you want to compare him to his replacee- Heatley- he is likely twice as fast as him) and has a knack for scoring not so pretty goals in front of the net. He can play defense, too. He is not exactly as talented with the puck as Granlund is but he has a great translation game from the AHL to the NHL, and again his size helps that. Bringing up Zucker would be a bit of a gamble IMO. The kid can fly. And score. But he is also a defensive liability at this time- kind of like Granlund. Dumba, we cannot call up. Heatley contributes a lot to this team- it's a matter of getting him the puck for a shot or actually getting pucks on net while he's in front on the PP- neither of which have happened and that's not exactly his fault.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Agreed!

Old
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
MMANumminen

We are coming to torch you, City of Minnesota. To scratch FBJ is blasphemy. BLASPHEMY!!!

Old
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Agreed!

You fail to see how Heatley contributes to the team?

Heatley who's second on the team in goals?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
We are coming to torch you, City of Minnesota. To scratch FBJ is blasphemy. BLASPHEMY!!!
I was going to delete this for trolling.

Now I want to bronze it.

I want to bronze words from the internet.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
It's not ridiculous. Coyle, a large, heavy forward with soft hands who can skate very well (and if you want to compare him to his replacee- Heatley- he is likely twice as fast as him) and has a knack for scoring not so pretty goals in front of the net. He can play defense, too. He is not exactly as talented with the puck as Granlund is but he has a great translation game from the AHL to the NHL, and again his size helps that. Bringing up Zucker would be a bit of a gamble IMO. The kid can fly. And score. But he is also a defensive liability at this time- kind of like Granlund. Dumba, we cannot call up. Heatley contributes a lot to this team- it's a matter of getting him the puck for a shot or actually getting pucks on net while he's in front on the PP- neither of which have happened and that's not exactly his fault.
Well IMO not every line need a dirtygoal-player. Even if you won't have that "natural" scorer with Granny on first thing always work out when you get three skilled players together. And about Zucker I don't see the downside with taking a gamble when the team has been struggling.

What I've seen from Heatley this far has not been a pretty sight. Every time he has got the puck it looks really awkard. He's puckhandling skills are not what they once might've been. I think they should try to trade him before it's too late. They might actually get something good out of him if they do it now since he's a "big-name" player.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Henri M

So has the finnish media and people reacted by labeling Granlund as a total bust yet?
Either that or invading Minnesota :O

Old
02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You fail to see how Heatley contributes to the team?

Heatley who's second on the team in goals?
He's scored 4 times, one was a pass on his skate that went in and another was a puck on it's way in that he almost ruined with a high stick. I bet that even Clutterbuck/Konopka/Powe would've scored 4 goals playing with MK and ZP

Old
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
He's scored 4 times, one was a pass on his skate that went in and another was a puck on it's way in that he almost ruined with a high stick. I bet that even Clutterbuck/Konopka/Powe would've scored 4 goals playing with MK and ZP
You serious? That goal doesn't happen if Heaters not there. And he was patient enough to wait for the puck to drop far enough so it was legal

Old
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Fire Heatley!!!

Am I doing this right?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Takola

I must have woke up in Bazzaro world today. I don't post that much cause I am not the Chicken little type that MN is known for. That being said I'm shocked to say I agree with Dampland on this i had to check to see if SOH chimed in cause if i agreed with him the world would have ended.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
You serious? That goal doesn't happen if Heaters not there. And he was patient enough to wait for the puck to drop far enough so it was legal
Dude watch the replay. It would've gone in without his chop.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Dude watch the replay. It would've gone in without his chop.
I have and if he doesn't touch it I say 75-80% chance the blues defender gets that out of there

Old
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
I have and if he doesn't touch it I say 75-80% chance the blues defender gets that out of there
Lol, not a chance. If anything there might've been 1-5% chance of him taking away the puck. However I'll stop discussing that goal with you now since I've got feeling you're stubborn as a mule.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Eventually, Yeo is gonna try out Granny on the first line wing, that is of course if the team doesn't start winning with Coyle there.

On a side note, with Granlund needing a 'big, strong center' to play with in orded to 'succeed' on the wing, Barkov would be ideal to draft if they, somehow, could get their hands on him AND were to miss the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Gaps

This is a great read for all Finns here: http://www.suomikiekko.com/2013/02/k...onesta-syysta/

I agree with every single word in this.

Closed Thread