HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Ownership Thread: Who Cares Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Ray Whitney says league, not Don Maloney, made call not to meet contract expectations

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ectations.html
So now we can call these weasels who are running the show cheapskates as well. Hopefully they don't cost us OEL.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

They let us give five years to Hanzal and Yandle.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
So now we can call these weasels who are running the show cheapskates as well. Hopefully they don't cost us OEL.
It's his guess. There's no basis to his statement. Ray Whitney's got a big mouth, and he doesn't like Bettman / Daly; he's made that very clear in the past.

Maloney wasn't going to spend $ 9 M on a 40 year old guy. It really is as simple as that.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudehama View Post
They let us give five years to Hanzal and Yandle.
Core players. Letting them walk would devalue the franchise significantly. It will be the same with OEL.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Ray Whitney says league, not Don Maloney, made call not to meet contract expectations

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ectations.html
So essentially this is a bunch of incorrect assumptions on Ray Whitney's part that have already been confirmed as completely false by Don Maloney? Hmmm...the only thing I got out of that article is that Ray Whitney should avoid supposing this or that to the media as it concerns the business side of the Phoenix Coyotes. He doesn't seem terribly knowledgeable on the subject, and should probably be embarrassed for shooting off at the mouth like that.

02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So essentially this is a bunch of incorrect assumptions on Ray Whitney's part that have already been confirmed as completely false by Don Maloney? Hmmm...the only thing I got out of that article is that Ray Whitney should avoid supposing this or that to the media as it concerns the business side of the Phoenix Coyotes. He doesn't seem terribly knowledgeable on the subject, and should probably be embarrassed for shooting off at the mouth like that.
Whitney's quotes clearly state that there are his own opinions and assumptions - nothing wrong with that. Someone else made the very misleading article title.

Personally I believe DM if he says the call was his and not the league but if that was in fact not the case he wouldn't be the first person to ever lie.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post
Personally I believe DM if he says the call was his and not the league but if that was in fact not the case he wouldn't be the first person to ever lie.
Let's be honest here. Maloney isn't willing to hand out that money not because he is hawkish or we are capped out. He can't hand out that extra little bit of money because the Coyotes have no owner and have to adhere to a pretty strict budget. That's how you explain letting 77 points leave over a million or two.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
ScottsdaleYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Let's be honest here. Maloney isn't willing to hand out that money not because he is hawkish or we are capped out. He can't hand out that extra little bit of money because the Coyotes have no owner and have to adhere to a pretty strict budget. That's how you explain letting 77 points leave over a million or two.
77 points, but 40 years old. Frankly most good GMs would avoid a 2yr $9m deal for a 40 year old. Hell the lockout robbed him of the half season where he'd be the youngest and most productive during the deal, and considering he's going to be out another month, I'd sure be having buyers remorse if we were in Dallas' situation. I loved Whitney, but the money spent on Sullivan seems like the better investment to me.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
77 points, but 40 years old. Frankly most good GMs would avoid a 2yr $9m deal for a 40 year old. Hell the lockout robbed him of the half season where he'd be the youngest and most productive during the deal, and considering he's going to be out another month, I'd sure be having buyers remorse if we were in Dallas' situation. I loved Whitney, but the money spent on Sullivan seems like the better investment to me.
I would love to have him but not for that money given his age. It seems as though GMDM might have dodged a bullet with the season being short and Ray being injured. I also think Sullivan will help our PP more then Whitney.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:19 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/mor...ag.html?r=full

Bill Gallacher, Ice Edge, and now former Arizona attorney general Grant Woods all rumored to be in the mix for a new Coyotes deal.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
http://m.bizjournals.com/phoenix/mor...ag.html?r=full

Bill Gallacher, Ice Edge, and now former Arizona attorney general Grant Woods all rumored to be in the mix for a new Coyotes deal.
Nothing we didn't already know. Woods doesn't have money, so he is working on behalf of someone who does in order to facilitate a deal with the city. Wasn't he the one who stood next to John McCain and told GWI to piss off on FSAZ?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:43 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Nothing we didn't already know. Woods doesn't have money, so he is working on behalf of someone who does in order to facilitate a deal with the city. Wasn't he the one who stood next to John McCain and told GWI to piss off on FSAZ?
It is true that not much new information is revealed, however this is the first ive heard about Grant Woods pursuing the Coyotes. I'm wondering whether he is working with serious investors, or if he is merely a frontman for a shadowy ownership group that intends to relocate a la john kaites with jerry reinsdorf, who has been selected merely as a face that would be familiar to local Arizona fans. My suspicion is the latter scenario, however I have been wrong about these kinds of things before.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Sunnuks is no longer credible, I'm going to be proactive and label this rumor an S3, a play on Eklunds E ratings.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
awfulwaffle

**** it, I'm just going to win the powerball 3 times in a row, and buy the team myself. Free tickets for everyone on this Coyotes board.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
**** it, I'm just going to win the powerball 3 times in a row, and buy the team myself. Free tickets for everyone on this Coyotes board.
Waiting for Sunnucks to report there is now a fourth bidder for the team.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
zz

Quote:

Old
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
It is true that not much new information is revealed, however this is the first ive heard about Grant Woods pursuing the Coyotes. I'm wondering whether he is working with serious investors, or if he is merely a frontman for a shadowy ownership group that intends to relocate a la john kaites with jerry reinsdorf, who has been selected merely as a face that would be familiar to local Arizona fans. My suspicion is the latter scenario, however I have been wrong about these kinds of things before.
I'll preface by saying that I think it's all the same predictable BS. This team's future is written in stone and I think the players all know it. If they are still out of the hunt in 2 weeks we are going to see some of the worst hockey ever played at this level. Having said that:

There is no way that Grant Woods would be involved in anything but keeping the team here. He's a super gung-ho Arizona guy.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

to be fair hiring a lobbiest is something Reinsdorf did right in Keites and GJ, Ice Edge & Hulsizer all did wrong. Who better to hire than a republican to lobby the republican Mayor. Smart move if they did hire Grant Woods, plus he is an attorney so logic says he wont lobby for something thats illegal. This is a smart move. Stop with the amateur hour and hire the guys that can get it done.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
to be fair hiring a lobbiest is something Reinsdorf did right in Keites and GJ, Ice Edge & Hulsizer all did wrong. Who better to hire than a republican to lobby the republican Mayor. Smart move if they did hire Grant Woods, plus he is an attorney so logic says he wont lobby for something thats illegal. This is a smart move. Stop with the amateur hour and hire the guys that can get it done.
If my memory serves, Woods has always been on retainer or somehow linked directly to the team as legal representative. At least as far back as Ellman.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
All of this notwithstanding, the only thing that will get this done is the MONEY!!

Old
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
All of this notwithstanding, the only thing that will get this done is the MONEY!!
correct but it does help navigate the political quagmire that is Glendale, esp with a new REPUBLICAN mayor.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
correct but it does help navigate the political quagmire that is Glendale, esp with a new REPUBLICAN mayor.
Everything you said sounds all fine and dandy but it doesn't mean **** if the league isn't going to do something about the cost of the team.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
yotesreign

Quote:

I gotta admit if I won the Powerball 3 times in a row (what are we talking $500-600 million?) I don't think I'd buy the team. Figure $170 million purchase price; I figure I could hire the right bean counters to cut the losses in the first 5 years to $20 per year adds to $270 million. Then figure I'd want to be able to blow thru at least that much on myself - clothes, cars, fine dining, summer cruises, summer homes, buy a suite at Cardinals stadium & a Loge box at SDS for ASU games and now we're up to $570 million. Plus the wifey is going to want half of whatever I get, so that adds up to $1 billion and $140 million dollars. Then my first cousins and closer relatives - will probably need another $60 million just to shut them up when I win all that money and start blowing it, so now I'm up to $1.2 billion dollars.

Minority investor, now say a 5% or even 10% interest... obviously would take less bankroll for me to consider doing that.

Hell, if I won the lottery I wouldn't care where the team is, I'd just buy a nice loft condo in whatever city they moved to, buy a suite in their arena so I don't have to engage with too many poor people, go to all the home games, go to all the road games (and get seats on the glass for the road games), bring the wife and son with whenever they wanted to catch a game with me.

I know if I became one of the 1 percenters, I'd change, oh boy how I would change... anyone thinks I couldn't be more unpleasant... just give me $500 million dollars boys, and then get out of my way lol.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post

Old
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Well played.

Closed Thread