HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
  #76
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
From tommorows herald:

Scott Clemmensen made his third appearance of the season in Winnipeg and stopped 18 of the 21 shots he faced. Dineen didn’t sound overly wowed by Clemmensen’s effort but said the team in front of him didn’t bail him out much either.

I think we can all agree Dineen thought clemmer was mediocre....at best.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
  #77
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
14-6-6 last year, top 30 in GAA and Save % for goalies who played min 20 games last year. He's a good backup at the NHL level. Refusing to give him credit hurts your argument. That's how you gain credibility on topics. The guy gave up two goals in regulation and you create a thread saying Clemmer needs to be demoted. That's crazy.
you might think all this hurts my argument, but it's actually your inability to read or comprehend simple points.

i said it countless times, clemmensen is a serviceable backup. he is, because theres several goalies out there that are worse than he is.

that does not make him a good goalie.

markstrom has the ability to be an elite starter, to steal games. something scott clemmensen cannot offer, never has and never will. and something theodore is not offering ATM, either.

an potentially elite talent makes this team better than a servicable backup. markstrom may have his ups and downs, but on his worst nights he'll be what Clemmensen is. servicable. if he plays well, he can steal games. in other words - we'd be a better team overall.

not that difficult to understand.



Quote:
Markstrom was also coming back from a knee injury. If they were so high on him they wouldn't have signed Clemmer to an extension. The plan, is clear. Markstrom gets some action at some point this season, starting job is his to lose next season. Let him get the kinks out, work on his play in the AHL. Apparently management and scouts who see him a lot more than you or I clearly disagree with you.
i don't disagree with their plan from this offseason. going into the season with markstrom and theodore as the NHL tandem would have been very risky considering the knee injury markstrom was coming off of.

but that's old news. he's proven he's healthy. clemmensen is no longer needed. trade him, or send him down (SA would need a goalie, unless Houser is ready...), but markstrom makes this team better.

a good GM adapts to the situation at hand. he made the right call bringing in clemmensen for insurance. that insurance isn't needed. move him, and improve your team.

Quote:
It's not better. We could have Henrik and Quick in net and we'd still lose games because this is a TEAM game and our forwards and D haven't been doing their jobs. AGAIN, goaltending is not a problem. Unless Markstrom can score goals 5 on 5 he's not needed at this point.
you do realize just because you keep saying this over and over doesn't make it true, right?

the first 6 games i'd agree with you. our team in front of the goalies was abysmal and we wouldn't win with Patrick Roy in net. but the last 3, the team has played very well. but the goaltending has sprung a leak.

we got away with it against winnipeg and buffalo, but pissed away a point because of it last night. it is a problem, a problem that has only cost us one point thus far, but nipping it in the bud before it costs us even more would be the pro-active thing to do.

Quote:
If there's one thing I do here, it's not go with the norm/conventional thinking. I had Drew Shore penciled in as our #2 center. Check the line thread.
oh, you mean how i said Drew Shore was our second best player after Fleishmann after i saw him play 2 games?

or how i called Tyson Strachan our second best defensman a few games ago?

insinuating that i go with conventional thinking is laughable.

everything you're spewing about goalies needing more time to develop and this other garbage is conventional thinking. just because you penciled in drew shore as a #2 center doesn't negate the fact that you're spewing conventional thinking.

Quote:
You still haven't responded to MarkstromRules's comment.

People are split on this issue. Fact remains, you created a thread calling for Clemmer's demotion after he gave up two goals in regulation. This isn't the time. Simple as that. That's not how you manage personnel.
demoting him may have been harsh, he's an nhl player. but the reason for the post was to show that Markstrom should be in the NHL right now, and he should be taking Clemmensen's spot. Trade him. if you can't, send him down to play in SA and see if he plays well. maybe some desperate team would bite. if not, you buy him out. that's what i'm proposing, and it was pretty obvious, so responding to MR's wasn't entirely necessary.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
  #78
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
From tommorows herald:

Scott Clemmensen made his third appearance of the season in Winnipeg and stopped 18 of the 21 shots he faced. Dineen didnít sound overly wowed by Clemmensenís effort but said the team in front of him didnít bail him out much either.

I think we can all agree Dineen thought clemmer was mediocre....at best.
i don't mean this as a smart-ass response to you. but the only way to answer this post is: "Duh"

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
  #79
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I agree with every single thing you say. As opposed to just spewing out stats with no context, your points are all very valid arguments.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Clemm was signed to a two-year deal while the team knew his shortcomings. I want Markstrom up and Clemm out, but unless it's an injury situation, I doubt Markstrom will be brought up this year which is very unfortunate.
thank you, and i completely agree. i don't see it happening either. i'm just saying it should happen, and will make us a better team. the reason it won't happen is because we (management/ownership) do not want to pay 3 goalies NHL salaries. especially not after sending Santorelli down and paying him 1.5 mil to play for the Rampage. it has nothing to do with management thinking this team is better off with Scott Clemmensen instead of Jacob Markstrom. they're not that stupid. if they are, we're in trouble long-term

(they're not that stupid)

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  #80
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Just wanted to address this really quickly. I have watched every home game live and about half the road games on AHL Live. This team isn't anything even close to a "disaster". They are very good defensively and have a top 4 PK. Their #1 shortcoming, IMO, is their complete lack of a power play. With even a league average offense, they would be right in the 4-8 seed playoff picture.

They have had a bunch of injuries and play in the toughest division in the AHL (maybe not post lockout, but pre-lockout it wasn't even close).

The team definitely has shortcomings, but calling them a disaster is hyperbole.
i respect your opinion. you've seen them play much more than i have (only 2-3 times). but this is not the picture Dan Weiss portrays on twitter.

he's said on various, various occasions that Markstrom has stolen games for the Rampage and insinuated several times that Markstrom is an unworldly talent, and playing up to that talent on a consistent basis. calling the team in front of them a "disaster" may have been over the top, but it was just to portray the message that he's stealing games and has the ability to do the same here.


Last edited by flapanthersfan: 02-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
  #81
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
you might think all this hurts my argument, but it's actually your inability to read or comprehend simple points.

i said it countless times, clemmensen is a serviceable backup. he is, because theres several goalies out there that are worse than he is.

that does not make him a good goalie.

markstrom has the ability to be an elite starter, to steal games. something scott clemmensen cannot offer, never has and never will. and something theodore is not offering ATM, either.

an potentially elite talent makes this team better than a servicable backup. markstrom may have his ups and downs, but on his worst nights he'll be what Clemmensen is. servicable. if he plays well, he can steal games. in other words - we'd be a better team overall.

not that difficult to understand.





i don't disagree with their plan from this offseason. going into the season with markstrom and theodore as the NHL tandem would have been very risky considering the knee injury markstrom was coming off of.

but that's old news. he's proven he's healthy. clemmensen is no longer needed. trade him, or send him down (SA would need a goalie, unless Houser is ready...), but markstrom makes this team better.

a good GM adapts to the situation at hand. he made the right call bringing in clemmensen for insurance. that insurance isn't needed. move him, and improve your team.



you do realize just because you keep saying this over and over doesn't make it true, right?

the first 6 games i'd agree with you. our team in front of the goalies was abysmal and we wouldn't win with Patrick Roy in net. but the last 3, the team has played very well. but the goaltending has sprung a leak.

we got away with it against winnipeg and buffalo, but pissed away a point because of it last night. it is a problem, a problem that has only cost us one point thus far, but nipping it in the bud before it costs us even more would be the pro-active thing to do.



oh, you mean how i said Drew Shore was our second best player after Fleishmann after i saw him play 2 games?

or how i called Tyson Strachan our second best defensman a few games ago?

insinuating that i go with conventional thinking is laughable.

everything you're spewing about goalies needing more time to develop and this other garbage is conventional thinking. just because you penciled in drew shore as a #2 center doesn't negate the fact that you're spewing conventional thinking.



demoting him may have been harsh, he's an nhl player. but the reason for the post was to show that Markstrom should be in the NHL right now, and he should be taking Clemmensen's spot. Trade him. if you can't, send him down to play in SA and see if he plays well. maybe some desperate team would bite. if not, you buy him out. that's what i'm proposing, and it was pretty obvious, so responding to MR's wasn't entirely necessary.
Did you just learn the word "spewing" today? How old are you? 15?

This is the last time I respond to you on this topic because this can go on and on and I'm sure other people are tired of this.

Clemmer is a good backup. People here put him unfairly under the microscope every single game and overrate his mistakes and rarely give him credit and when the do give him credit they go out of there way to say they're giving him credit (AG I'm looking at you.) You freaked out and want Markstrom up here. That's not a reasonable reaction and certainly not worthy of Clemmer losing his job. I stand behind the assertion, goaltending is not an issue.

Oh, you said Drew Shore was our second best forward after two games? Congratulations. I've been telling everyone about Shore for as long as I've been around here. Way ahead of you kiddo. I'm kind of embarrassed to even be writing that, ha. I wasn't insinuating anything. I swear.

I think Markstrom will be a stud, it just makes no sense to bring him up right now. You're panicking. If Tallon moves Clemmer within the month to bring up Markstrom permanently, I'll personally apologize to you. 100%. I'll even say, I'm sorry for spewing all that nonsense and you were right. Mark this post. I ain't mad at ya.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
  #82
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I've thought about this some more and while I'd like to see Markstrom up instead of Clemmer and believe that a Theo/Markstrom combo will give us the best chance to win, I don't see this as feasible or likely to happen.

We just re-signed Clemmensen to a two-year deal. There is no way we cut him loose after even a handful of games. In a shortened lock-out season, I can't see us playing enough games to justify cutting someone who we just signed. Maybe if it was a normal 82 game season, I could see it happening if he played really poorly by the halfway mark, but not this season.

It's the same reason why Kuba may be benched here and there, but it is very unlikely that he is cut loose or traded. It would make for some very bad PR and harm our desireability for future free agents.

So maybe we see Markstrom come up for a couple games, and maybe he leads to a benching of Clemmenson, but I think Theo/Clemm is our go-to duo for this season. For better or worse.


don't really disagree with anything you say. i don't think it's going to happen.

but i think it should happen.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
  #83
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Did you just learn the word "spewing" today? How old are you? 15?
yup, 15 year old with a masters. and i just learned the word "spew"

nice attempt at an insult. too bad it fails like the rest of your posts


Quote:
This is the last time I respond to you on this topic because this can go on and on and I'm sure other people are tired of this.
i doubt others are as tired of you making yourself look bad as you probably are.

Quote:
Clemmer is a good backup. People here put him unfairly under the microscope every single game and overrate his mistakes and rarely give him credit and when the do give him credit they go out of there way to say they're giving him credit (AG I'm looking at you.) You freaked out and want Markstrom up here. That's not a reasonable reaction and certainly not worthy of Clemmer losing his job. I stand behind the assertion, goaltending is not an issue.

okay - stand behind your assertion. but you're wrong. at least over the last 4 games you are. (Theodore and Clemmer were both terrible vs Philly, too)

Quote:
Oh, you said Drew Shore was our second best forward after two games? Congratulations. I've been telling everyone about Shore for as long as I've been around here. Way ahead of you kiddo. I'm kind of embarrassed to even be writing that, ha. I wasn't insinuating anything. I swear.
i never have time to watch collegiate hockey, or i probably would have been right there with you, "kiddo"

your predictable and witless attempts at condescension are pathetic, btw. you should stop. it just makes you look petty

Quote:
I think Markstrom will be a stud, it just makes no sense to bring him up right now. You're panicking. If Tallon moves Clemmer within the month to bring up Markstrom permanently, I'll personally apologize to you. 100%. I'll even say, I'm sorry for spewing all that nonsense and you were right. Mark this post. I ain't mad at ya.
i'm not mad either, you just continuously try and be patronizing, which is pretty laughable. especially considering you still have not grasped the actual message i'm putting out there which is this, and i'll spell it out on it's simplest terms:

Jacob Markstrom is a better goaltender than Scott Clemmensen. Thus, this team is a better team with Jacob Markstrom on it rather than with Scott Clemmensen.

it's really that simple.

this team can still make the playoffs. too many around here seemed to have thrown in the towel after the miserable start but they're playing much better and have potential, especially if a guy like shore continues to improve. if he can be a legit second line center (he looks like one so far) that solves probably the biggest hole we had last year. mueller looks good too. huberdeau brings some offense as well. and if dineen continues to use more of strachan and ellerby, less of weaver and jovo and gudbranson comes back and plays like he did in the second half last season, i don't think the D will be any worse than last years, either. Strachan looks great. Ellerby is improving.

that being said, we need the same type of goaltending we got last season to make it. the last four games. we have NOT gotten that, not even close. we can't continue to piss away points, not after putting ourselves in the hole we did the first 6 games, and especially not in a 48 game season where every single game is played against a divisional opponent.

we basically pissed 3 points away last night because Clemmensen sucked. lost one, gave two to Winnipeg. we can't keep doing that, and there's an internal solution to the problem in San Antonio just waiting.


Last edited by flapanthersfan: 02-06-2013 at 11:25 PM.
flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
  #84
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 26,633
vCash: 500
Every Panther fan I know that plays the game, especially the goal position, thinks Clem is a mediocre goalie and we could have better. They also said he played a lot eter at times last season, but know he's not a good option. Devil fans told us this about him when he signed here.

He's a backup, can't expect great play, but when Markstrom is down there waiting in the wings, makes Clemmer look worse, so to speak.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
  #85
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,803
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I've supported Clemmensen before so it's not as though I hate him.

With that said, I don't see how anyone could possibly think he played well last night.
He allowed only 2 goals in regulation because the Jets didn't really create much in terms of offense.

He made a couple of nice saves. One on Antropov and he also had a good one at the end of the 2nd period on Thorburn imo.

With that said, the first goal was weak (don't care if Ellerby deflected that).
The other goals I won't blame him for although I didn't consider them unstoppable.

At the end of the day, his rebounds were terrible. How many shots without screens from the blueline did he give up terribly long rebounds on? I saw him bobble a shot that hit him square in the glove.

I said at the beginning of the game that he looked shaky before he even faced a shot on the GDT. Fortunately, it took over half a period for the Jets to get a shot off. Their first shot hit the post.

A couple of Clemmensen's "saves" got behind him.

With that said, I think he's a better goalie than he's shown thus far. Let's not forget that he's a big reason why we made the playoffs last year. He went 14-6-6 with good #'s.

For what it's worth, I think we all knew our goalies wouldn't play like they did last year and they haven't put up the same type of #'s (not all their fault of course).
This x100

I am willing to jump on board the hate Clemmer train, but let's be honest. The guy proved with a similar team in front of him last year that he is capable.

He seems to be a streaky goalie. When he plays well, he's pretty good out there and more than reliable. When his confidence is off, you'd have to be blind not to notice.

It's a really tough situation because with a shortened season, we can't exactly wait around for Clemmer to find his game.

With that said, Theo hasn't looked like anything special after the first two games of the season, so I don't think either goalie is a bad option at this point. It's a shame too because it finally looks like we have a team that can get some scoring but of course our goaltending begins to falter

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:18 AM
  #86
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
i respect your opinion. you've seen them play much more than i have (only 2-3 times). but this is not the picture Dan Weiss portrays on twitter.

he's said on various, various occasions that Markstrom has stolen games for the Rampage and insinuated several times that Markstrom is an unworldly talent, and playing up to that talent on a consistent basis. calling the team in front of them a "disaster" may have been over the top, but it was just to portray the message that he's stealing games and has the ability to do the same here.
And Dan is absolutely correct. I can't count the number of "wows" and "oh my's" that have come out of everyone in the press box when Markstrom plays. And I completely agree that he's ready to play in the NHL.

I just took issue with the "disaster" comment. There are good players on this team and they play a sound defensive system. Injuries, the lack of an even average power play, and the competition during the lockout has put this team where they are in the standings.

My whole argument against Markstrom going up is two-fold. I believe that, with as much as he would play, the difference in points would be minimal and it's not worth potentially killing the depth at the position by trading away or exposing Clemmensen to waivers THIS season. If you do this move, if Markstrom or Theo gets hurt, the season is done, IMO.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:37 AM
  #87
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post

Clemmer is a good backup. People here put him unfairly under the microscope every single game and overrate his mistakes and rarely give him credit and when the do give him credit they go out of there way to say they're giving him credit (AG I'm looking at you.) You freaked out and want Markstrom up here. That's not a reasonable reaction and certainly not worthy of Clemmer losing his job. I stand behind the assertion, goaltending is not an issue.
I'm right here looking back at ya!!

I like to admit when I'm wrong so I come on here when he plays well and make a point of it. Problem?

Ill reiterate my well known stance:

Clemmer is a mediocre at best goalie who for that reason is a career backup. He puts up some serviceable games like the last one, where he makes some nice saves and gives up questionable goals, like the one even his head coach questions him.

In an 80 game season with few back to backs a clemmer as a cheap backup is not a detriment to a good team.

In a 48 game season to a bubble team where every goal counts mediocrity between the pipes will cost us and its even more difficult to digest as a potential star between the pipes sits at the ready deep in the heart of Texas.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
  #88
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
For whatever reason (his name, being a backup to Broduer, reputation, etc) Clemmenson was never accepted from the moment he arrived. Fans wanted too bag him from the start.

Now that he is holding up the organizations Golden Boy, hes even more of a punching bag.

The reality is he was more than serviceable last year, and is still a legit NHL backup goalie. Theres no guarantee that Markstrom is the better option as this very moment. Plus, the way that contracts are set-up, there is little chance Clemm gets demoted.

Clemm is the least of the worries of the panthers organization at the moment.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
  #89
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
For whatever reason (his name, being a backup to Broduer, reputation, etc) Clemmenson was never accepted from the moment he arrived. Fans wanted too bag him from the start.

Now that he is holding up the organizations Golden Boy, hes even more of a punching bag.

The reality is he was more than serviceable last year, and is still a legit NHL backup goalie. Theres no guarantee that Markstrom is the better option as this very moment. Plus, the way that contracts are set-up, there is little chance Clemm gets demoted.

Clemm is the least of the worries of the panthers organization at the moment.
I couldn't disagree more.
I don't really remember too many fans being unhappy about the Clemmensen signing, or at least wanting to "bag" him right from the start. As far as I remember, most people were pretty happy that we did sign him because he did so well when Broduer was out. He really held his own and the fans felt that he would be just as good a backup as Anderson was.
Clemmensen was serviceable last season? What does that mean? That he stinks but stole some wins for us? I never had a problem that we signed him, because like many others, I was under the impression we were getting a goaltender that brought the Devils to the playoffs when Broduer went down. Instead, what we have is Alex Auld 2.0. Clemmer is horrible this season and he lost the game for us in Winnipeg as well as 3 points. I think Dineens comments were that he isn't happy with Clemmer but he won't single him out to the media.
I believe Markstrom should be brought up and Clemmer sent through waivers. Markstrom may not turn out to be our next superstar goalie,but I'd much rather give him a real chance and see what he's made of. He is better than Clemmer, so that's an improvment to our goaltending. Add in Gudbranson to our lineup,and Strachan and Ellerby improving and now our D looks a little more solid.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:11 PM
  #90
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,803
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I think giving up Anderson was one of the biggest mistakes we've made in some time. We would've had an even better season last year and probably would be in good shape this year.

He does well when he gets a lot of shots against, and we give up a lot of shots. Match made in heaven!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
  #91
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I think giving up Anderson was one of the biggest mistakes we've made in some time. We would've had an even better season last year and probably would be in good shape this year.

He does well when he gets a lot of shots against, and we give up a lot of shots. Match made in heaven!
Absolutely. I was all for keeping Andy and getting rid of T-Vo. Oh well.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
  #92
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,951
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I think giving up Anderson was one of the biggest mistakes we've made in some time. We would've had an even better season last year and probably would be in good shape this year.

He does well when he gets a lot of shots against, and we give up a lot of shots. Match made in heaven!
There's no way of knowing if he'd turn into the goalie he's today with Sens if he had stayed. Between leaving this team and arriving in Ottawa, sure he had some good numbers with Avs but on a contract year he basically quit on the team like a baby, like he was forcing the Avs to trade him.

DT would never want a person like that on (t)his team. Never.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
  #93
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther
 
CanadianPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 50
Anderson's stats for the last year as a Panther were very comparable to Clemmensen's of last year. I think Anderson knew what the plan was with Markstrom in the mix. Anderson wanted out of here and not labeled what Clemmensen has been all his career, "A CAREER BACKUP".

I still believe Clemmensen can win games for us but his best days are in the rear view mirror. I'm sure Tallon would listen to offers for him at the trade deadline as injuries are unpredictable. I do feel Markstrom at this point would do better or just the same as Clemmensen would in net.

I think the players on the chopping block at trade deadline are Clemmensen, Santorelli, Weaver and it's unfortunately capped off with Weiss.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:21 PM
  #94
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,297
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
He probably makes a lot more in Russia right now and I don't think he can even get out of his contract to come here mid season. Maybe next year?
You're right , but how long do we have until we have to sign him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Gayduchenko hasn't come over since he was drafted in 2007. Why would he now? It's a longshot at best, and on top of that you expect him to come over in the middle of the season? He's not just going to ditch his KHL team. Plus even if he came over there would probably be an adjustment period to N.A. hockey like there was for Markstrom. He is not an answer.
2007? I'm pretty sure he was in training last year...

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
  #95
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I couldn't disagree more.
I don't really remember too many fans being unhappy about the Clemmensen signing, or at least wanting to "bag" him right from the start. As far as I remember, most people were pretty happy that we did sign him because he did so well when Broduer was out. He really held his own and the fans felt that he would be just as good a backup as Anderson was.
Clemmensen was serviceable last season? What does that mean? That he stinks but stole some wins for us? I never had a problem that we signed him, because like many others, I was under the impression we were getting a goaltender that brought the Devils to the playoffs when Broduer went down. Instead, what we have is Alex Auld 2.0. Clemmer is horrible this season and he lost the game for us in Winnipeg as well as 3 points. I think Dineens comments were that he isn't happy with Clemmer but he won't single him out to the media.
I believe Markstrom should be brought up and Clemmer sent through waivers. Markstrom may not turn out to be our next superstar goalie,but I'd much rather give him a real chance and see what he's made of. He is better than Clemmer, so that's an improvment to our goaltending. Add in Gudbranson to our lineup,and Strachan and Ellerby improving and now our D looks a little more solid.
Your sort of making my point for me. Im just saying that most fans here seem to have an irrational dislike for the guy, ignoring what he did last year, saying silly emotional things like "i just dont feel confident with him", etc... im not singling anyone out, but theres just an overall anti-Clem feeling that was present even at the beginning of last year.

Calling him Alex Auld is just wrong. What do I mean with "serviceable"? Let me be less vague. He was GOOD as a backup last year (14-6-6! Points in 20/26 games). Yes, GOOD. That is above average for a backup. And he has played 2 games this year. Way to early to be completely dissing him.

Im not saying he's Gods gift to goaltending. Im not saying that he should start. Im not even saying hes better than Markstrom. But he is definately more harshly judged than any other panther. And back-up goalie isnt the reason why we are where we are.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
  #96
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
For whatever reason (his name, being a backup to Broduer, reputation, etc) Clemmenson was never accepted from the moment he arrived. Fans wanted too bag him from the start.
Well, if we're being honest, he did not get off to a get start here his first handful of games and proceeded to call out his teammates after. So, his first impression definitely wasn't a good one.

He was a big part of what we accomplished last year though. Can't complain when your backup goes 14-6-6 so I agree with you there. He gets too much criticism at times.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
  #97
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Nvmind

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
  #98
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Well, if we're being honest, he did not get off to a get start here his first handful of games and proceeded to call out his teammates after. So, his first impression definitely wasn't a good one.

He was a big part of what we accomplished last year though. Can't complain when your backup goes 14-6-6 so I agree with you there. He gets too much criticism at times.
If thats the case, then it absolutely could explain the bias against him.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
  #99
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat
 
PantherboyHTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Blue Jay Nation...
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Hopefully that performance lets a little heat out of the kettle.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
  #100
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,516
vCash: 500
Personally, I really don't get why Theodore is being criticized at all in the first place. Sure, he's probably allowed a couple of questionable ones, but every goalie does. Theodore, despite the #'s, has been good. Clemmensen, not so much, imo.

But Theo has been good. It's not his fault the team was injured severely earlier and couldn't get him wins in games he deserved to win.

As the team gets healthier and, in the process, better defensively, I'm not at all worried about Theodore. He was good last year and he looks no worse this year.

Not just saying this because of the win tonight either. I said in one of the previous GDT's that I hope he gets an easy shutout because his #'s are deceiving. He's played better than his #'s indicate.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.