Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Olympic Qualifiers (Latvia)

Old
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Call me Suds

vCash: 500
I definitely liked that this was on TV, there was fan support, and the trending twitter thing is huge. Definitely spreads the word of the sport in the country and could have definitely grabbed some new fans with it being on TV.

I didn't get to watch the entire thing but hopefully the commentators were acting as advocates for the game in GB and had their sales pitch ready to try to get new fans on board.

I hate officiating in IIHF more often than not. So many soft penalties but they can easily be avoided as well. By the time I tuned in it looked like GB's legs tuned out.

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
It was also on BBC Radio 5 Live. That will no doubt have brought a few people in.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
AlanHUK

Are international games always called so softly?

AlanHUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
Are international games always called so softly?
Yes.

You should have seen the posts in the international tournaments section during the WJC, people were going nuts. If you injure someone, you can pretty much expect to be tossed from the game, even if it's marginal.

Canada had a few players tossed that a majority of posters "disagreed" with

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Yes.

You should have seen the posts in the international tournaments section during the WJC, people were going nuts. If you injure someone, you can pretty much expect to be tossed from the game, even if it's marginal.

Canada had a few players tossed that a majority of posters "disagreed" with
lol Canada always has a questionable call made against them in every international tournament because the refs are very reactionary. A bigger stronger Canadian bumps a little guy and he goes down hard so they toss him

Old
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
AlanHUK

How come they're called so differently to most domestic leagues?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Suds View Post
lol Canada always has a questionable call made against them in every international tournament because the refs are very reactionary. A bigger stronger Canadian bumps a little guy and he goes down hard so they toss him
Well it is in the rules that if it's an injury you have to toss them. But often if it's a marginal hit the refs only actually give the penalty because the guy got hurt, they assume it must have been dirty if he was injured on the play.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Well it is in the rules that if it's an injury you have to toss them. But often if it's a marginal hit the refs only actually give the penalty because the guy got hurt, they assume it must have been dirty if he was injured on the play.
That rule can't be proved though lol what's an injury? Anyone can lay on the ice, go to the room, come back 2 seconds later and be on the ice for the PP lol

Old
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
How come they're called so differently to most domestic leagues?
It's similar to most European leagues. EIHL is much more North American style due to all the imports so the rules are less harsh on physical play.

All EIHA governed leagues in the UK are a lot softer than IIHF though, most notably with headshots, and then there is the absolute gem and my personal favourite; automatic match penalty for a high stick which draws blood

Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
It's similar to most European leagues. EIHL is much more North American style due to all the imports so the rules are less harsh on physical play.

All EIHA governed leagues in the UK are a lot softer than IIHF though, most notably with headshots, and then there is the absolute gem and my personal favourite; automatic match penalty for a high stick which draws blood
Solution: Wear a cage (Then we're playing woman's hockey )

My favorite is when the zebra won't DROP THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Suds View Post
Solution: Wear a cage (Then we're playing woman's hockey )

My favorite is when the zebra won't DROP THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly the way things are going with the insurance it might actually come to that.

It's the most retarded rule in the world, the fans hate it, the players hate it, and the refs hate it.

Because of "safety" we're supposed to give out 10's if players tuck their shirts into their shorts after being given a warning as well, but none of us actually do it unless there's an assessor watching us

Old
02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Honestly the way things are going with the insurance it might actually come to that.

It's the most retarded rule in the world, the fans hate it, the players hate it, and the refs hate it.

Because of "safety" we're supposed to give out 10's if players tuck their shirts into their shorts after being given a warning as well, but none of us actually do it unless there's an assessor watching us
Immma give you 10 for calling them shorts

Old
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Old
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

After looking like complete spastics, BBC Sport changed the name of their headline from "Thrashed by Latvia" to "Beaten by Latvia"

Old
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
AlanHUK

Quote:

So in retrospect it might have been a good idea to try and get a couple of friendly games in just to become used to the different rules they're playing under.

The penalty leading to the 3rd Latvian goal for example would never have been called in the EIHL.

Ultimately penalty trouble killed us off.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
So in retrospect it might have been a good idea to try and get a couple of friendly games in just to become used to the different rules they're playing under.

The penalty leading to the 3rd Latvian goal for example would never have been called in the EIHL.

But that would require the EIHL to actually honour the IIHF international breaks...

Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 AM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Sounds like a very good effort, and that Latvia couldn't live with our team's physical approach!

If we could nick anything from any of the other games, would it be our biggest result for over 50 years?

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:25 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:

Referees were soft even for regular IIHF game. Half of the the penalties called never were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyote View Post
Sounds like a very good effort, and that Latvia couldn't live with our team's physical approach!
First off I don't know how serous you with this statement. But actually I was expecting that team GB would be a much bigger physical force.You were decent along the boards, but not because of sheer physical dominance.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Referees were soft even for regular IIHF game. Half of the the penalties called never were.

First off I don't know how serous you with this statement. But actually I was expecting that team GB would be a much bigger physical force.You were decent along the boards, but not because of sheer physical dominance.
I have the feeling that our team was really giving about 60% of what theyve got,when they shifted back into gear GB had no chance.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:09 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I have the feeling that our team was really giving about 60% of what theyve got,when they shifted back into gear GB had no chance.
Nonsense. Not only this is disrespectful against GB's effort and perfomance, but until fourth goal went in, you could easily see how tense our players and staff were. Even after that too many individuals wanted to be on score sheet badly, hence the uncool celebration of Darzins for the sixth. Yes, we didn't play well, but to say say we didn't care? C'mon.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:14 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
But that would require the EIHL to actually honour the IIHF international breaks...
Fair point they're far too short sighted for that, which is a shame, because if GB do better on the international stage it gets more coverage and grows, everyone wins.

Quote:

I'm glad you posted that, I actually thought 5-5 it was a pretty good game, the skill difference is obvious, but the effort put in especially in the first 2 periods made the game quite close. I think by the 3rd the Brits were just gassed, comes from chasing around a skilled team I guess.

Also I was shocked at the lack of finishing of checks, I couldn't get my head around it, if you're playing a team more skilled you have to punish them physically to at least try to get them off their game.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:15 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Nonsense. Not only this is disrespectful against GB's effort and perfomance, but until fourth goal went in, you could easily see how tense our players and staff were. Even after that too many individuals wanted to be on score sheet badly, hence the uncool celebration of Darzins for the sixth. Yes, we didn't play well, but to say say we didn't care? C'mon.
C`mon with all due respect to GB even our players where hinting it was more of a exhibition game than anything else.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
The annoying thing for me from this game was that although Latvia were without doubt the superior team, pretty much all the goals came from mistakes, and we gifted Latvia chances, in which they were far more clinical.

Team defence was really poor last night. Forwards were collapsing too low and then the defencemen were stepping up and it just created a mess around Lyle, and Latvia were able to convert.

Once again, the lack of any other players apart from Dowd - Shields - Peacock to get going was incredibly concerning. It was a game which reminded me of the Slovenia game in Ljubljana last year.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:29 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
C`mon with all due respect to GB even our players where hinting it was more of a exhibition game than anything else.
Yet the first 45 minutes of the game suggest otherwise. After that? Sure.

Of course, players of both teams well knew their potential before the game, but if you think we won yesterday without even trying is false. I realize that we could of upped the ante if we had to win by some specific margin to qualify, but that by no means would automaticaly mean that we would of scored 40% more goals yesterday. As I already wrote, we were lucky that we conceded only two.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:29 AM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Quote:
Joking, based on the procession to the penalty box.

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote