HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 LMHF Game Report #5

Old
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
"can't shoot, can't pass, can't skate, what a player" or whatever on Smyth.

He relied on grit and craftiness his entire career but just looks like he has nothing left in the tank.

The fact that he couldn't make a tape to tape pass didn't used to be as big a deal.

I like Smyth but once Jones and Eager return its hard to fathom how he should be playing.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Hartikainen-Hall-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Arcobello-Paajarvi

Done.
I'm wondering if Hall can handle that job. I know it's been talked about ad nauseam on this forum since before they even drafted him, but I still have big question marks here.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I'm wondering if Hall can handle that job. I know it's been talked about ad nauseam on this forum since before they even drafted him, but I still have big question marks here.
Worth a try for one game where our other option is apparently the 6th or 7th best C in the organization.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
oilerfan17

The thing that frustrates me the most about the Whitney-Potter pairing is their tendency to pass the puck to their partner behind the net instead of sending it forward on the breakout. The vast majority of the time the other guy bobbles the puck, or otherwise can't handle it cleanly, which gives enough time for a hard forechecker to get in and disrupt the play. Teams are playing our defense hard, and I think it's because they realize that if they disrupt that first pass, they're going to be able to keep the puck in the zone.

That needs to change if this team wants to build a rhythm in the transition game. Unfortunately I don't trust Whitney or Potter to be able to change that. This team badly needs to add a top-4 defender without sending one away.

Having some forward depth that can play more than a few minutes a night would be nice too.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Asher

Quote:
Worth a try for one game where our other option is apparently the 6th or 7th best C in the organization.
Well, I guess we won't have to test that lineup just yet. According to what they were saying in the radio postgame Nuge should be back for next game.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Well, I guess we won't have to test that lineup just yet. According to what they were saying in the radio postgame Nuge should be back for next game.
Was in response to a question about what should have been done last night rather than play Arcobello for as many minutes as they did. Would have been a nice time to try it out.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Asher

Quote:
Was in response to a question about what should have been done last night rather than play Arcobello for as many minutes as they did. Would have been a nice time to try it out.
Sorry, I didn't realize that. In that case, I would have tried Smyth instead of Arco. After that experiment failed I would have moved on to Hall too.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
The thing that frustrates me the most about the Whitney-Potter pairing is their tendency to pass the puck to their partner behind the net instead of sending it forward on the breakout. The vast majority of the time the other guy bobbles the puck, or otherwise can't handle it cleanly, which gives enough time for a hard forechecker to get in and disrupt the play. Teams are playing our defense hard, and I think it's because they realize that if they disrupt that first pass, they're going to be able to keep the puck in the zone.

That needs to change if this team wants to build a rhythm in the transition game. Unfortunately I don't trust Whitney or Potter to be able to change that. This team badly needs to add a top-4 defender without sending one away.

Having some forward depth that can play more than a few minutes a night would be nice too.
I agree with this, but their are too many forwards, the ones who try to pass it through the opponent d-men's legs in the offensive zone, who expect the Oiler d-men to make the perfect pass to them through forecheckers. Outside of sometimes Gagner, the Oilers can only bring the puck through the neutral zone on the wings and that is usually Hall or Hemsky.

Just about the only time I ever see a set of forwards bringing the puck safely up through centre ice, pushing defenders back into their own zone, is when that team is skating towards Dubnyk.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Stoneman89

Thought Smyth had a pretty decent game last night. I had a front row seat for it too. Worked hard, won some faceoffs, great corner work and led the way with his heart. I think he's been getting better as the season wears on.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Thought Smyth had a pretty decent game last night. I had a front row seat for it too. Worked hard, won some faceoffs, great corner work and led the way with his heart. I think he's been getting better as the season wears on.
No, man. Just no. Even just check out the highlights of the 2 regulation goals on NHL.com. If you need more, the brutal neutral zone penalty he took for no reason whatever. Then, in the third period, brutal giveaways below the opposition's goal line and in our own zone under no pressure. No way.

Also, "heart" doesn't mean a damn thing in this game without results. I'm sure Mark Arcobello tried like crazy last night. Doesn't mean he contributed anything positive at all.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Dubnyk will get a few hundred posts knocking him after a bad game, but not nearly enough credit when he puts in a good performance. He's been better than solid for what, four or five games straight now?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Dubnyk will get a few hundred posts knocking him after a bad game, but not nearly enough credit when he puts in a good performance. He's been better than solid for what, four or five games straight now?
As a fanbase, we're not that great at giving credit. Goalies are also judged on a standard just under perfection. Tough sledding.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I think he's got a lot of credit in the Dubnyk thread.

The weak goals are the main point of concern - and frankly, his level of play has been so consistently great this year that the weak goals are even more annoying

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Oilception

vCash: 50
Quote:
The lunging may be due to the wear and tear, but the passes to no one when he has time and space are not. Despite his reputation, #94 can indeed be lazy at times. Last night was as bad as I've seen it. Screwing up positioning is also inexcusable for a veteran like him and that occurred several times last night.

All Whitney had to do to stop Jagr's goal was lean into him. He's so paranoid about that foot that he tried to back off early instead. It doesn't work. I'm honestly not sure how much if this is his foot being mangled and how much is him in his own head trying to over think the hell out of trying to compensate. Either way, none of it is working and he needs to take a seat for a while to figure it out. I don't see how he could modify his game enough to be a good NHL defenceman at this point. You can't use only one foot and play effectively.
Love the write up LMHF. Always a pleasure to read.

I agree that it wasn't smyths best night but in regards to his poor positioning could part of that not be realated to the fact he was playing center? Guys been a LW his entire career and just got thrusted into the role

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
---------------

Management will reveal its plan for the year by how they respond to this. There is time to pick a C or two and several decent ones that could stay with the team later and help out are available for nothing or practically nothing. We also need a defenceman badly. If they make moves now, they want to make the playoffs. If they don't, they are on board for another year of failure. We shall see.
this is the most important item you've brought up.
I think Tambo has done very little to shore up the teams needs throughout a season to the detriment of the Oilers. Once the oilers "officially" went into a rebuild he seems to want to do nothing but wait for the draft picks to hopefully develop. that's all fine and dandy but look what doing nothing did last year in regards to the AHL defense the Oilers iced.
the players may be mostly trying hard, but I think management is content to ice a subpar team to collect high draft picks, then hope the team magically comes together ala the early 80's oilers.
I'm scared that's what he is going to do this year, too. let the team sink and then rely on a lottery pick to make him look good.

I'm sick of hearding about all the young talent the Oilers have amassed and instead want to see something Tambo has put together succeed on the ice.

If Tambo does nothing to bring in a centre, he should immediately, and finally, be fired. I'm still trying to figure out if management intentially tanked for at least two years, were just incompetent, or a combination of both.
the next little bit should clarify it some.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesoftheEighties View Post
Was in attendance and agree with basically everything. Another solid report my LMHF.

EDIT: I thought Gagner played really well. Especially on that one PK in the 2nd where he nearly had a breakaway and killed off maybe a good 30 seconds by himself. Also had one play in the third where he did a 180 and spun his stick around to get a weak shot off on goal. Was a pretty sequence when he pulled it off.

Shout out to Pajaarvi who laid some guy out in the third and was flying out there. He's been awesome.
And ran the goalie in the most polite and cordial goalie-run I've ever seen in my life.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Duby playing great all game, and then letting in the weak OT goal. Has to stop doing that. It will kill us if we ever get into the playoffs.
Second goal was weak. He had his angles off...he WAS screened, but if he'd been in proper position, it would've hit him in the chest.

The last goal? No way man...you give Jagr the puck in OT below the hashmarks unmolested and he'll beat you. He's got one of the best releases in the history of the game and just fooled Dubnyk with it, as he has been doing for his whole career.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:11 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Just looked at the stats.... Dubnyk right now has played the most minutes in the NHL, and among the top 30 goalies who have played the most minutes so far (good proxy for #1 starters)... he has faced the most shots per game.

Among that group of top 30 starters... he's currently #9 in save pct.

Folks, this guy has been playing brilliantly for the Oilers and you can see that just watching but the stats back that up as well.

He's definitely the MVP on the team so far and is under appreciated by most.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
No, man. Just no. Even just check out the highlights of the 2 regulation goals on NHL.com. If you need more, the brutal neutral zone penalty he took for no reason whatever. Then, in the third period, brutal giveaways below the opposition's goal line and in our own zone under no pressure. No way.

Also, "heart" doesn't mean a damn thing in this game without results. I'm sure Mark Arcobello tried like crazy last night. Doesn't mean he contributed anything positive at all.
I was at the game. He was fine. As for giveaways, he was far from being near the top of the class in that department. The whole team was not good. Petry was a machine. Hemsky had a terrible one last night that fortunately didn't result in a goal, and Sammy Snowpants usually has 2-3 brainfarts a game.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just looked at the stats.... Dubnyk right now has played the most minutes in the NHL, and among the top 30 goalies who have played the most minutes so far (good proxy for #1 starters)... he has faced the most shots per game.

Among that group of top 30 starters... he's currently #9 in save pct.

Folks, this guy has been playing brilliantly for the Oilers and you can see that just watching but the stats back that up as well.

He's definitely the MVP on the team so far and is under appreciated by most.
Agreed. People are quick to point out that he seems to give up one bad goal per game, and I can't really disagree with that, but this is a team that should have one of the best top six forward groups in the league and they are quite often going in to the 3rd period with only one goal on the board. As long as the team in front of him is only good for ~2 goals a game and he has to play 20 minutes a game with Whitney/Potter making poor decisions in front of him, that one save he doesnt make is always gonna stand out like a sore thumb. If he's letting in a bad goal in a 4-1 game to make it 4-2, we would probably all be flooding the main boards with Dubnyk for Vezina threads.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote