HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Shanahan

Old
07-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
I'm really getting tired of the ignorant comments of the Kings getting older and not improving the team. I guess the Hurricanes getting older with the additions of veterans Doug Weight and Mark Recchi didn't help them in their Cup run. The average age on that Hurricanes roster was 29.

The following players were 30 or older:
Tverdovsky (30)
K. Adams (31)
Gerber (31)
Wallin (31)
Stillman (32)
Kaberle (32)
A. Ward (33)
Whitney (34)
Hedican (35)
Weight (35)
Brind'Amour (35)
Wesley (37)
Weight (38)

The uninformed opinion that OLD = BAD is a stupid myth derived from these very boards. Carolina just proved how invaluable the presence of hungry veterans could be, especially for the stretch run. These are well-conditioned professional athletes who devote their lives and careers to have their names on the Stanley Cup.

The unfortunate problem for the Kings and their veterans was the fact that they were out-of-shape or over-the-hill and couldn't perform any longer (Robitaille and Roenick). Whereas the Hurricanes assembled a group of vets in excellent shape who can still perform. Look at the season Brind'Amour had. Look how valuable Whitney and Stillman were.

It would be a major addition to the roster if the Kings were able to acquire Brendan Shanahan. Adding a 35 year old Teemu Selanne didn't seem to hurt the Ducks did it? And he just happened to be the best forward (and arguably best player) on the Ducks all season long.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm really getting tired of the ignorant comments of the Kings getting older and not improving the team. I guess the Hurricanes getting older with the additions of veterans Doug Weight and Mark Recchi didn't help them in their Cup run. The average age on that Hurricanes roster was 29.

Tverdovsky (30)
K. Adams (31)
Gerber (31)
Wallin (31)
Stillman (32)
Kaberle (32)
A. Ward (33)
Whitney (34)
Hedican (35)
Weight (35)
Brind'Amour (35)
Wesley (37)
Weight (38)

The uninformed opinion that OLD = BAD is a stupid myth derived from these very boards. Carolina just proved how invaluable the presence of hungry veterans could be, especially for the stretch run. These are well-conditioned professional athletes who devote their lives and careers to have their names on the Stanley Cup.

The unfortunate problem for the Kings and their veterans was the fact that they were out-of-shape or over-the-hill and couldn't perform any longer (Robitaille and Roenick). Whereas the Hurricanes assembled a group of vets in excellent shape who can still perform. Look at the season Brind'Amour had. Look how valuable Whitney and Stillman were.

It would be a major addition to the roster if the Kings were able to acquire Brendan Shanahan. Adding a 35 year old Teemu Selanne didn't seem to hurt the Ducks did it? And he just happened to be the best forward (and arguably best player) on the Ducks all season long.
Good post.

Icing a team of rookies, whatever your goal (be it rebuild or contend) will get you nowhere. You need experience on the roster.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
johnjm22

It appears that the Blues are trying to sign Shanny.

http://hadleyonsports.com/getReport_...55324&size=595

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Adding a 35 year old Teemu Selanne didn't seem to hurt the Ducks did it? And he just happened to be the best forward (and arguably best player) on the Ducks all season long.
And look at what he did for Andy McDonald. He made him into a #1 center. No one can tell me that Andy's huge breakout season wasn't largely due to Selanne. Consider the confidence that he'll have now, even if he doesn't play another shift with Teemu. I can see Shanahan having a similar impact on the development of Cammalleri or O'Sullivan (or both).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Tadite

You can cherry pick late 30's players who still were able to produce all you want. Doesn't change the fact that the vaste majority of 36-40 year old guys don't have anything still in the tank.

Just look at all those old bad kings teams. The ones that didn't draft, the ones that always bought older UFA, the ones that never won?

For years all we heard on this board is how terrable a idea it is to sign players like that....

If DT was signing these guys he would be crucified. But because its DL its a great idea.

Guess the honeymoon is still going strong.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:40 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

http://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/f...erin_slash.jpg

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
And look at what he did for Andy McDonald. He made him into a #1 center. No one can tell me that Andy's huge breakout season wasn't largely due to Selanne. Consider the confidence that he'll have now, even if he doesn't play another shift with Teemu. I can see Shanahan having a similar impact on the development of Cammalleri or O'Sullivan (or both).
Shanny with Cammalleri & Sully would be right out of Team Canada's WC playbook. They played BS with Briere & Comrie and later Cammalleri. Him and Mike showed some real chemistry.

And - speaking of McDonald - McCauley is a player of very similar ilk. In the perfect circumstances, I could genuinely see Alyn have a big season.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Go

With these two former Sharks signing, I would not be surprised to hear something about Owen Nolan.
________
penny stocks

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:20 PM
spudboy

[QUOTE=bacchusbuddha;5890455]Blake, Shanahan, and Lubo ripping one-timers with Cammalleri controlling the half wall could make for a hell of a PP unit.
QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. With Blake and Vish at the points Cammy on the right and Shanny on the left, pucks would be flying from every angle. I could get points playing center on that unit, or even Armstrong could.

spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Quattro

The fact that Detroit, probably better judges of talent than any team, is letting him go (if in fact they are) should give one pause.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
The fact that Detroit, probably better judges of talent than any team, is letting him go (if in fact they are) should give one pause.
Yeah, like they can't afford to retain him.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Believe me, Detroit isn't going to go away without making some sincere offer, but they have cap decisions like most good teams, and with Hudler and Filppula waiting in the wings, there may have to be a changing of the guard.

There's about a snowball's chance in hell of Shanahan coming to LA. Think Boston, where he resides, and where his former coach and friend Dave Lewis is now installed behind the bench. Or, think Columbus, which has cap room, and would become an offensive powerhouse if they were able to add him to the mix.

More to be revealed in the coming days.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:04 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Believe me, Detroit isn't going to go away without making some sincere offer, but they have cap decisions like most good teams, and with Hudler and Filppula waiting in the wings, there may have to be a changing of the guard.

There's about a snowball's chance in hell of Shanahan coming to LA. Think Boston, where he resides, and where his former coach and friend Dave Lewis is now installed behind the bench. Or, think Columbus, which has cap room, and would become an offensive powerhouse if they were able to add him to the mix.

More to be revealed in the coming days.
I don't think Boston has the money to sign him. They already have 32M committed to 11 players.

Also check out this quote from the NY post on Shanhan's relationship with Lewis:

" Boston winner: Lewis, the good guy coach who will succeed if given the tools. Boston loser: Brendan Shanahan, who had wanted to complete his career with the Bruins, but who is not welcome by Lewis, with whom he had his differences in Detroit."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/cap_or_...rry_brooks.htm

I'd put my money on it he doesn't go to Boston.

Old
07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I actually thought Brown was quite effective the few times he was on the PP last year. He did a good job of parking himself infront of the net. Nearly half of his goals came on the PP. It's too bad AM didn't give him much of a chance.

Edit: I just took a second look at the stats and noticed that Brown had more PP goals last season than both Frolov and Conroy.

That's pretty impressive considering the limited amount of time he got on the PP.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75442029368329

best question: "Why is it so hard to score on the powerplay?"
brown: "Because I'm not on the powerplay."

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:20 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75442029368329

best question: "Why is it so hard to score on the powerplay?"
brown: "Because I'm not on the powerplay."

LOL.

Classic.

Old
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
I don't think Boston has the money to sign him. They already have 32M committed to 11 players.

Also check out this quote from the NY post on Shanhan's relationship with Lewis:

" Boston winner: Lewis, the good guy coach who will succeed if given the tools. Boston loser: Brendan Shanahan, who had wanted to complete his career with the Bruins, but who is not welcome by Lewis, with whom he had his differences in Detroit."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/cap_or_...rry_brooks.htm

I'd put my money on it he doesn't go to Boston.
Fascinating, as I was just speaking with someone close to the Wings who said that Shanahan and Lewis were pals. Oh well. I'd still love to see him in Columbus, though.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:39 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
Great vid. I love the pregnant pause when a kid asks "why do you like to play for LA"?

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Fascinating, as I was just speaking with someone close to the Wings who said that Shanahan and Lewis were pals. Oh well. I'd still love to see him in Columbus, though.
I actually think he's gonna land in St. Louis.

Old
07-03-2006, 01:54 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I actually think he's gonna land in St. Louis.
Could definitely see it given his history there.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
johnjm22

According to Hadley Shanahan is asking for 5.5M

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...40319&size=595

This pretty much garuntees he's not going to Boston. I think the Kings are one of few teams that could give him that much.

I would give it to him if it's a one year deal.

And just to spice thing up a bit; TFP has LA listed as one of Shanny's possible destinations.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/topfas.html

Old
07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
According to Hadley Shanahan is asking for 5.5M

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...40319&size=595

This pretty much garuntees he's not going to Boston. I think the Kings are one of few teams that could give him that much.

I would give it to him if it's a one year deal.

And just to spice thing up a bit; TFP has LA listed as one of Shanny's possible destinations.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/topfas.html
St. Louis is out of the running too.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Osprey

I don't mind a gross overpayment for just a 1-year deal. It wouldn't be any worse than Roenick's contract last season, yet Shanahan is a far surer bet to produce.

Old
Vintage93

Quote:
Tverdovsky (30)
K. Adams (31)
Gerber (31)
Wallin (31)
Stillman (32)
Kaberle (32)
A. Ward (33)
Whitney (34)
Hedican (35)
Weight (35)
Brind'Amour (35)
Wesley (37)
Weight (38)

Theres no way weight is 38 years old..

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemer View Post
Theres no way weight is 38 years old..
He's in that list twice. The first time is the correct age.

Old
07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
1 year deal at 5.5 million. That might be madness, but it is a one year deal. I'd have to pass.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote