HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott-pit

Old
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
So, you are saying a young 21-year old like Despres, who has been solid since moving into the one pairing with Letang, would get displaced by a declining 38 year old? You are a fool if you think that.

TK is what he is and is valuable for the third line. He would be available, but would be packaged with a pick or a prospect to fill a long term need - an upgrade at forward. A big void would be created. Why trade a forward in Pittsburgh's case for a guy that wouldn't be in the Pens' top six and a 38 year old rental too boot? If you were on the other end - a Penguin fan, would you do this? It makes little sense.
You're giving all of us a bad rep.
Despres has more value than Gonchar because of age, contract and potential, but for now Sarge is obviously the superior player. Claiming otherwise shows you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. And yes, Sarge would still be top4 on the Pens.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Why on Earth would we take away one of only 3 NHL D we have for, of all things, Tyler Kennedy? Either we're in the race and keep him, or we're out of it, and can get a lot better quality than that from another team. Big pass from Ottawa.

Thank god you said you aren't serious about this. That is TURRible (pun intended).

Point 1 ... I can say the same thing in Pittsburgh about why trade Kennedy for another D man? We have a shortage of forward options and while Kennedy would be available, he needs to be packaged with a high pick for an upgrade (example and I'm sure you wouldn't do it but TK and a second for Greening - this is what I'm talking about).

Point 2 ... When you have a ridiculous idea from a fan, its usually that they don't want him in XXXX city. I could say Pittsburgh offers Kennedy, Tangradi and a third to Toronto for Kessel. That certainly isn't fair value and I know this, but it shows I have a strong opinion that I don't think Kessel is a good fit due to flaws.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Anderson55

Quote:
There was a reason why we didn't resign him after his lousy effort in the play-off series that goes us eliminated by Montreal. Gonchar doesn't offer us anything at all. I'm not sure he would be in our top seven.
The reason they didnt resign him was because Shero wouldnt give him anymore than 2 yrs.
30 games or so of sergei gonchar could really help this team IMO, PP especially

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
You're giving all of us a bad rep.
Despres has more value than Gonchar because of age, contract and potential, but for now Sarge is obviously the superior player. Claiming otherwise shows you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. And yes, Sarge would still be top4 on the Pens.
I have a clue. I wouldn't displace Despres for Gonchar at all. I have seen that movie before with Sarge. I don't want to see the sequel. There is only one guy 35 or over that I want Pittsburgh to acquire that will be available. He is from Calgary. Outside of him, I have no desire to see another aging vet come in where I don't think its warranted. Despres needs to play.

Trading Kennedy for Gonchar makes little sense for Pittsburgh for starters. If you were in fact a Penguin fan and knew the depth at forward, you would know what I mean. This is foolishness.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Point 1 ... I can say the same thing in Pittsburgh about why trade Kennedy for another D man? We have a shortage of forward options and while Kennedy would be available, he needs to be packaged with a high pick for an upgrade (example and I'm sure you wouldn't do it but TK and a second for Greening - this is what I'm talking about).
Fair enough. Though, although PIT does have a lot of D prospects, playoff experience is invaluable, and Sarge has a lot of that. You don't necessarily want to throw young guys into the fire of the playoffs right away, and Sarge could help with that. Regardless, I am fairly certain that come deadline time, we'll either be in a playoff position, or at least in the running, so I doubt that he moves to PIT or anywhere else anyway.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
vyktor

If ottowa is out of the picture by the deadline and the Pens PP continues to struggle, some sort of deal for Gonch would be a great idea. For now letting despres and Bortuzzo get NHL minutes is the best thing for the team, but 2 rookies on the blueline come the post season is a little frightening.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
sens613

Quote:
I have a clue. I wouldn't displace Despres for Gonchar at all. I have seen that movie before with Sarge. I don't want to see the sequel. There is only one guy 35 or over that I want Pittsburgh to acquire that will be available. He is from Calgary. Outside of him, I have no desire to see another aging vet come in where I don't think its warranted. Despres needs to play.

Trading Kennedy for Gonchar makes little sense for Pittsburgh for starters. If you were in fact a Penguin fan and knew the depth at forward, you would know what I mean. This is foolishness.
He did not mention TK or the need for forwards over dmen at all, just that despite age Gonchar is playing at a higher level then Despres is RIGHT NOW, not in the future. Whether true or not that was his point , and as a sens fan with season tickets , I can attest to Gonchar playing at a fairly high level and while maybe not as high as Depres would for sure help your depth , pp and has proven before great leadership abilities and locker room presence. The whole he would not be in your top 7 comment is hyperbole to try and prove a point.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Fair enough. Though, although PIT does have a lot of D prospects, playoff experience is invaluable, and Sarge has a lot of that. You don't necessarily want to throw young guys into the fire of the playoffs right away, and Sarge could help with that. Regardless, I am fairly certain that come deadline time, we'll either be in a playoff position, or at least in the running, so I doubt that he moves to PIT or anywhere else anyway.
Yes, playoff experience helps and he has it. That said, everyone of our defensemen, except Bortuzzo, has play-off experience. He goes to the pressbox when Niskanen comes back and he has play-off experience. Despres in his infancy has play-off experience from last year and he held his own (too bad the rest didn't).

As long as you hold your own offensively with the loss of Spezza (that sucked), Ottawa will be in the playoffs. I'm sure he has more value to Ottawa than he has for Pittsburgh.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth for his lack of effort in game 7 a few years back versus Montreal.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:

I never ever commented on Kennedy. If we added Gonchar it would most likely be for a draft pick if Ottawa are out, and as said before that is also the only scenario Ottawa gives up a guy that is second in ice time per game only to Karlsson.
What I am saying is that IF that happened, Gonchar would be top4 on the Pens in icetime immediately. Most likely 2nd to Letang but 4th ES. And I am saying that NOW Gonchar is clearly better than Despres. Saying otherwise is plain stupid/blind homerism. You pick your own label.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
He did not mention TK or the need for forwards over dmen at all, just that despite age Gonchar is playing at a higher level then Despres is RIGHT NOW, not in the future. Whether true or not that was his point , and as a sens fan with season tickets , I can attest to Gonchar playing at a fairly high level and while maybe not as high as Depres would for sure help your depth , pp and has proven before great leadership abilities and locker room presence. The whole he would not be in your top 7 comment is hyperbole to try and prove a point.
Regardless, a deal makes no sense for Pittsburgh. We can agree to disagree on your points. I'd rather have Despres get the minutes in lieu of an aging guy like Gonchar. He is doing very well for himself and isn't hurting the team at all.

Kennedy for Gonchar might carry some value, but makes little sense for Pittsburgh. We don't have forward depth. While TK isn't great by any means, his loss for Gonchar would create a HUGE void in the lineup. That moves Vitale or Glass to the third line and Tangradi to the fourth. That makes us worse. Kennedy coupled with a high pick goes for an upgrade at wing.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:25 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Yeah. I'd do this deal as a deadline deal if we're out of a playoff picture. I'd prefer a 2nd rounder, but I'd take ManBearPig.
Man pig bear LMFAO.... OMG ............SO awesome

Last edited by c_mak: 02-07-2013 at 12:32 PM.
c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:43 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Did something happen? Is he that bad now? Not a fan of getting Gonchar back at all, but as long as he`d at least be good for the PP, I`d be in for this. We need to acquire a winger to push either Dupuis or Boychuk down into TK`s spot anyway, so sure.
No, he isn't bad at all. Still definitely a top 4 dman on most teams in the NHL. Laughable to say he wouldn't even be a number 7.

I have no issues with him at all and am happy to have him. Especially with a thin D, but even with a healthy D, I have no urge to move him.

Quote:
my mouth for his lack of effort in game 7 a few years back versus Montreal.
Now this is fair. I was actually torn when we got him the summer after this.

He's been great with us though, for the most part.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

I'd much rather look at Marc Streit if we're looking for an again D-man to help out on the PP later in the year.

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
alpine4life

I'd do that, but we kind of need Gonchar and the Pens dont need another DMan.

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Kennedy wouldn't have a spot in our line-up.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
General Granny*

Dont get the hate for Gonch, hes been awesome for us the past 2 seasons plus our best dman in the playoffs,I would actually be looking for a 1 year extention seeing how the market is so weak.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Dont get the hate for Gonch, hes been awesome for us the past 2 seasons plus our best dman in the playoffs,I would actually be looking for a 1 year extention seeing how the market is so weak.
Agree

ErikKarlsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddz17 View Post
To Ottawa:
Tyler Kennedy

To Pittsburgh:
Sergei Gonchar

I really suck at proposals, I should stop for a while.
Not sure why everyone is bashing Gonch. Value is fine, but I probably wouldn't do this unless we were moving out one of our D for a top 6 winger. Would love Gonchar's PP skills, but would want to minimize his ES time. Plus we have a ton of depth on the blueline, and have concerns that if we never give our young guys a chance, that we'll lose them like we lost Strait.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
HavlatMach9

Wish we could keep him, but I have a feeling he'll sign with another team for 5m. So if we're out of the playoffs, a 1st would be good enough.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Wish we could keep him, but I have a feeling he'll sign with another team for 5m. So if we're out of the playoffs, a 1st would be good enough.
Timeout ... who is going to sign Gonchar for 5 million, a 38 year old blueliner?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Timeout ... who is going to sign Gonchar for 5 million, a 38 year old blueliner?
I don't think it's impossible that he gets that... on a 1 yr deal. More realistic is that he signs for around 4-4.5m.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I don't think it's impossible that he gets that... on a 1 yr deal. More realistic is that he signs for around 4-4.5m.
He's playing well. I could see someone doing that. Heaven knows there's a place for what he still can do out there on Detroit's PP.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Philip Kuba is getting paid $4M to play as Floridas #6dman.

Gonch can still play and there will always be a team out there looking for help on the PP and puck movment, one team like Philly whos desperate.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:16 PM
SenzZen
C(as)H/CH-CH-ing

Quote:
There was a reason why we didn't resign him after his lousy effort in the play-off series that goes us eliminated by Montreal. Gonchar doesn't offer us anything at all. I'm not sure he would be in our top seven.
Does that mean Letang is on the block because of his horrendous series against Philly?

In that case I'll offer Peter Regin and Brett Lebda (he scored last night)

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
General Granny*

Oh and dont forget Paul Martin in that playoff series.

You know what, might as well put that entire D on the trade block and Fleury as well.