HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

TSN: Interview with Sean Avery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
  #26
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Not only that, they told himn he was a good player, which Avery was a good player. When you have to first ballot hall of famers telling you to go out & play maybe you should rethink your position. That being said, there was a 3rd hall of famer named Bret Hull who told Avery to keep doing exactly what he was doing.

As much as I like the Avery him leaving hockey is best for everyone.
Yes, in a nutshell, hes a guy that threw away an NHL career because he couldnt stop talking **** to people. Its still quite humorous to me that so many fans liked and respected the guy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:51 AM
  #27
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
1. Who cares if he was gay? (Besides you, of course)
2. Restrictions - Torts wouldn't let him play 'his' game. That's what I took from the article.

Avery was on a leash. Not saying it was justified or not, but he didn't have the same amount of freedom from when he joined the team.

Still, one of the most overrated players that rocked our jersey in a long, long time. I was an Avery fan until his effectiveness cooled off.
Renney got a lot more out of Avery than Torts did. Torts did not like him and refused to use him in roles where he would be effective, so it is best that he is no longer on the team. The Rangers have never replaced him with another pest-type player. It is a hole in the lineup today.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  #28
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, in a nutshell, hes a guy that threw away an NHL career because he couldnt stop talking **** to people. Its still quite humorous to me that so many fans liked and respected the guy.
He didn't really throw away an NHL career. He played 10+ years in the league. When he was scoring 30-40 points a season he was doing exactly what he was good at- a skilled third liner who brought an edge.

I'm not his biggest fan either, and I think it's beyond stupid we still talk about the guy, but I think you're letting your dislike of him get in the way of realizing he had a solid NHL career.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #29
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Renney got a lot more out of Avery than Torts did. Torts did not like him and refused to use him in roles where he would be effective, so it is best that he is no longer on the team. The Rangers have never replaced him with another pest-type player. It is a hole in the lineup today.
I liked Tom Renney, but his ultimate undoing as Ranger coach was letting the inmates run the asylum.

Disagree about the Rangers never finding a replacement. I thought Prust played a similar role and did so much more effectively on a winning team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
  #30
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
I liked Sean quite a lot. He was definitely different. The year he went to Dallas and then came back--the team he came back to had almost no personality--just letting things happen to them--all of a sudden Sean's there and every game is a war again. Talent will only take you so far. To win--to really win you have to go to war. There has to be players willing to get nasty. And I always thought his interviews were terrific--not the usual bland rah rah type of crap that's spouted out all the time.

Saying that--his game was declining--how much Torts had to do with that if anything is debatable. I'm not sure he wasn't just losing interest either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  #31
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yes, in a nutshell, hes a guy that threw away an NHL career because he couldnt stop talking **** to people. Its still quite humorous to me that so many fans liked and respected the guy.
Its quite humorous to me that so many people have serious emotional angst over him. He accomplished exactly what he set out to accomplish. Avery is going to make more money outside of hockey than players of his skill level make on the ice and he's going to do it without taking a physical beating every single night. Not to mention he's probably going to be spending a significant portion of his time in the company of highly attractive women. The fact that you are morally offended by things he did on the ice that were not directed at you and did not have any relevance to you at all is probably the most humorous thing in this thread so far.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  #32
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 500
NHL rid of him collectively. They need players repeating talking points they approved. You can't tell one interview from the other. Work hard, great fans, rivalry is important and other lies fans and bosses like. Hey, they rid of Burke, because of what he was saying and Burke was much larger figure than Sean.
Players like Avery needed in this league, they do the primary purpose of it which is entertainment. Hockey is not a war and players are not a soldiers. One day Avery will be remembered and people who drived him out of the league will be forgotten forever.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
  #33
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Its quite humorous to me that so many people have serious emotional angst over him. He accomplished exactly what he set out to accomplish. Avery is going to make more money outside of hockey than players of his skill level make on the ice and he's going to do it without taking a physical beating every single night. Not to mention he's probably going to be spending a significant portion of his time in the company of highly attractive women. The fact that you are morally offended by things he did on the ice that were not directed at you and did not have any relevance to you at all is probably the most humorous thing in this thread so far.
Ha, this is rich.

Morally offended? I've done things in my life much worse than what Avery did on and off the ice. I just never did them at work. Theres a time and a place for everything, and Avery got what was coming to him.

As a fan of the Rangers, his BS did effect me, especially in his latter days here where he was as selfish and stubborn as ever. The goal of a hockey team is not to entertain through WWE tactics.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  #34
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL
 
Boom Boom Geoffrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Its quite humorous to me that so many people have serious emotional angst over him. He accomplished exactly what he set out to accomplish. Avery is going to make more money outside of hockey than players of his skill level make on the ice and he's going to do it without taking a physical beating every single night. Not to mention he's probably going to be spending a significant portion of his time in the company of highly attractive women. The fact that you are morally offended by things he did on the ice that were not directed at you and did not have any relevance to you at all is probably the most humorous thing in this thread so far.
I was offended when Bertuzzi made pretend Moore's dome was a baseball.
I teared up when Richter retired. Also when his jersey was hung up on the rafters.

You watch this game, and team long enough, you're going to get emotionally attached. You're going to form opinions on the players.

Fact is Avery did have a fine NHL career. But, he could have been 10X more successful if he didn't try and take the nonsense to a different level. We both know what I mean by that.

There's nothing wrong with stating facts. There's also nothing wrong with being offended by what the players representing your team do. I've been a Ranger fan longer than some players currently playing on the team. It's my right to express how I feel about their careers, and whether or not I'm offended by something they said or did.

Who are you to try and take that away from anyone here?

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:44 PM
  #35
zelrio*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415439

haha gotta love this guy... I wouldn't mind having him out there, right now. The team needs a spark like Sean.

**No, I'm not advocating actually bringing Avery back**
Agreed entirely. Let us remember that the momentum last season was brought on by Avery initially.

zelrio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
  #36
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDunna with Fries View Post
Is Avery gay? Completely serious question. The way those three paragraphs towards the end of the article are ordered totally makes you think it. He had to quit because of restrictions, he was sick of battling the restrictions, and so he decided to retire early and join an athletes' rights association that pretty much fights for gay rights.

I might be reading too much into this but my brows were definitely raised while reading it.
If a white guy joins an organization all about preventing racism, does that make him black? It's possible for straight people to make a stand against the bullying of gays without actually being gay themselves. Avery has also done extensive charity work for cancer research and (also from the article) awareness of physical and mental injuries in sports (stemming, I would assume, from the whole Boogaard tragedy).

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
  #37
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
absolutely loved Avery and everything he did on and off the ice, its too bad the game basically pushed him out, glad to see hes doing well tho, i read somewhere else hes an advertising exec in NYC as well.
The game did not push him out. He pushed the game away.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  #38
Mrpuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
absolutely loved Avery and everything he did on and off the ice, its too bad the game basically pushed him out, glad to see hes doing well tho, i read somewhere else hes an advertising exec in NYC as well.
Totally agree, the NHL didn't want his antics anymore and the refs were gunning for him every game. He could have changed the way he played but decided to go in a different direction. Can't fault him for that.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:00 PM
  #39
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Ultimately, it was the law of diminishing return with Avery.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
  #40
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Who are you to try and take that away from anyone here?
Who are you to look down on other fans for being fond of a certain player? If you're allowed to be offended and dislike certain players with amnesty than why should you feel outraged when other fans disagree with you?

If you don't like Avery, that's fine but you're choice to dislike doesn't make you a holier person than all the fans who did like him. And nothing Avery did even came close to approaching what Bertuzzi did. There's a big difference between mouthing off on the ice and physically assaulting another player.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:11 PM
  #41
Grumpy Humphrey
Registered User
 
Grumpy Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,325
vCash: 500
The love for this guy is borderline embarrassing.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
  #42
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ha, this is rich.

Morally offended? I've done things in my life much worse than what Avery did on and off the ice. I just never did them at work. Theres a time and a place for everything, and Avery got what was coming to him.

As a fan of the Rangers, his BS did effect me, especially in his latter days here where he was as selfish and stubborn as ever. The goal of a hockey team is not to entertain through WWE tactics.
Chances are if you or I did these things at work you or I would both be fired but Avery was a hockey player who played in the top league in the world for over 10 years. Sure, I'd agree that ultimately his antics probably pushed him out of the league prematurely but you're acting as if Sean Avery was forced out of hockey and is now living in a cardboard box on the West Side highway. The guy's life is perfectly fine. In fact, if you really pay attention to the types of things he's interested in, I'm sure he's having just as much fun doing whatever it is he's doing now than he was when he was playing hockey.

Not everyone in the NHL has to try to act like Captain America. It's OK with me if you have some guys in this league who are selfish and stubborn. A league full of players with exactly the same values and personalities is one thing I would never want to see.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
  #43
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I liked Sean quite a lot. He was definitely different. The year he went to Dallas and then came back--the team he came back to had almost no personality--just letting things happen to them--all of a sudden Sean's there and every game is a war again. Talent will only take you so far. To win--to really win you have to go to war. There has to be players willing to get nasty. And I always thought his interviews were terrific--not the usual bland rah rah type of crap that's spouted out all the time.

Saying that--his game was declining--how much Torts had to do with that if anything is debatable. I'm not sure he wasn't just losing interest either.
He was playing a part, not being honest. Similar to what Charlie Sheen was doing and Howard Stern has done for decades. Its just a bit, and they do it well, that's why it seems so natural. The narcissism takes over. Jagr was like this too, but in a different way. He sulked and withdrew when he wasn't getting his way.

And I never thought he got 'nasty', just annoying.

Don't get me wrong, having said all this, I think the guy was entertaining, but I don't ever want someone that selfish on the team again, I watch hockey to watch hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Its quite humorous to me that so many people have serious emotional angst over him. He accomplished exactly what he set out to accomplish. Avery is going to make more money outside of hockey than players of his skill level make on the ice and he's going to do it without taking a physical beating every single night. Not to mention he's probably going to be spending a significant portion of his time in the company of highly attractive women. The fact that you are morally offended by things he did on the ice that were not directed at you and did not have any relevance to you at all is probably the most humorous thing in this thread so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ha, this is rich.

Morally offended? I've done things in my life much worse than what Avery did on and off the ice. I just never did them at work. Theres a time and a place for everything, and Avery got what was coming to him.

As a fan of the Rangers, his BS did effect me, especially in his latter days here where he was as selfish and stubborn as ever. The goal of a hockey team is not to entertain through WWE tactics.
Exactly BRB, he did them as a Ranger, as a team member, not on his own dime and time.

Sad that the conversation now is still about the clown and not about why he was actually needed to give life to this organization at that time in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I was offended when Bertuzzi made pretend Moore's dome was a baseball.
I teared up when Richter retired. Also when his jersey was hung up on the rafters.

You watch this game, and team long enough, you're going to get emotionally attached. You're going to form opinions on the players.

Fact is Avery did have a fine NHL career. But, he could have been 10X more successful if he didn't try and take the nonsense to a different level. We both know what I mean by that.

There's nothing wrong with stating facts. There's also nothing wrong with being offended by what the players representing your team do. I've been a Ranger fan longer than some players currently playing on the team. It's my right to express how I feel about their careers, and whether or not I'm offended by something they said or did.

Who are you to try and take that away from anyone here?
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The game did not push him out. He pushed the game away.
Absolutely.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:34 PM
  #44
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
It's OK with me if you have some guys in this league who are selfish and stubborn. A league full of players with exactly the same values and personalities is one thing I would never want to see.
Go back to the KHL, commie !



Seriously, you'd like to work with a selfish stubborn foolish coworker even though the customer thinks its cute?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  #45
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL
 
Boom Boom Geoffrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Who are you to look down on other fans for being fond of a certain player? If you're allowed to be offended and dislike certain players with amnesty than why should you feel outraged when other fans disagree with you?

If you don't like Avery, that's fine but you're choice to dislike doesn't make you a holier person than all the fans who did like him. And nothing Avery did even came close to approaching what Bertuzzi did. There's a big difference between mouthing off on the ice and physically assaulting another player.
Who's outraged?

And I did like Avery, but felt his thunder had fizzled. Don't put words in my mouth.

And when the hell did I compare Avery's antics to Bertuzzi? Reading comprehension. The purpose of that was to demonstrate how fans can become emotionally attached to what players say and do on the ice.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  #46
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL
 
Boom Boom Geoffrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Ultimately, it was the law of diminishing return with Avery.
You spelled Panic wrong. Because that's all this thread is. A cry for help.

Avery to the rescue. Cape and all. Mighty Mouse, you've been replaced.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
  #47
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You spelled Panic wrong. Because that's all this thread is. A cry for help.

Avery to the rescue. Cape and all. Mighty Mouse, you've been replaced.
We need Mike Rogers, Pierre Larouche, Walt Poddubny, and Randy Gilhen.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  #48
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Go back to the KHL, commie !



Seriously, you'd like to work with a selfish stubborn foolish coworker even though the customer thinks its cute?
That doesn't really apply since none of us are professional hockey players, unfortunately for us.

If I was Avery's teammate I probably wouldn't enjoy what he does. But I'd also probably be a terrible combination of miserable, distracted, frustrated and angry if I was playing against him and I do believe that element of Avery's game had its usefulness.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
  #49
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
We need Mike Rogers, Pierre Larouche, Walt Poddubny, and Randy Gilhen.
Ha, those names bring back some of my earliest Ranger memories. The '86 playoffs were one of those first memories, when Larouche came back from exile and went bonkers towards the end of that season and into the playoffs. Hes the reason I wore #24 during my player days.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #50
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You spelled Panic wrong. Because that's all this thread is. A cry for help.

Avery to the rescue. Cape and all. Mighty Mouse, you've been replaced.
I didn't feel the the idea bringing back Avery deserved a "panic".

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.