HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for 2014 5th Round Draft Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
From what I've read, Bortuzzo is a better player and prospect than Strait. Even if we kept him he'd be a #8 here and would not have any big role here.

Like many here have posted, if it makes you feel better think of it as a 5th for Strait and Lovejoy being waived.
Bortuzzo has been nothing but great and it's going to be really hard to get him out of the lineup if he keeps playing like he has

Old
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Hope you and Kirk are right about the precursor... but don't you see what we've done with Strait?! We've created the Streit-Strait pairing! The Brooklyn Nightmare, the Defensive Dynamo... we'll be kicking ourselves for years over this dude. Open the eyes and see the future of defense. His name is Strait. If I didn't know any better I'd think he was a second cousin of Joe.
Strait is just a disciple of Joe trying to spread the word of Joe in the heathen lands of the Islanders.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-07-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Chopped out the rest of a long quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Good move. Clears a roster spot and so we aren't forced to give up on Boychuk too quickly when Niskanen returns.

I'd like to see the organization give Dustin Jeffrey a shot somewhere else...perhaps Edmonton, with all their sudden center injuries.

Then we can recall MacIntyre, and also ponder a bigger move.
I don't, I think we should find him a spot in the bottom 6 and keep him here. He's a very useful hockey player. Cooke and Adams are UFA at the end of the year, if they're let go(thinking of Adams) Jeffrey could easily have his spot

Old
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
gopens66
Bart 4 Crosby's RW!

As pleased as I have been with Niskanen over last season and this, I really don't want to see any change with our current D-pairings. Now, maybe the play of Despres or Bortuzzo over the next two weeks changes for the worse, but right now, this is the D-corps I want to see them roll with.

Losing Strait to waivers was a minor bummer to me at worst. No one here knows if Shero tried to find a trading partner before exposing him or not. Bortuzzo has shown FAR more to me in his games as a Penguin than Strait ever did.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I don't, I think we should find him a spot in the bottom 6 and keep him here. He's a very useful hockey player. Cooke and Adams are UFA at the end of the year, if they're let go(thinking of Adams) Jeffrey could easily have his spot
I think they will just find guys similar to Adams/Cooke to replace them with, and I wouldn't rule out Cooke staying for one more go-round. The problem with Jeffrey is he's not physical, probably isn't as valuable on the wing but not good enough to play center, and I would wager he's no more than okay at killing penalties.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig Adams re-signed. He'd be cheap, and DB already has confidence in him and knows what his role will be. Plus he just seems like the type they'd keep around to eventually retire and join the coaching staff.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Reese was on the Islanders and they chose not to resign him so what does that tell you about him.
Well, I guess Rick DiPietro is the best goalie in the league, then.

We've seen Reese a lot...he's not really that different than Lovejoy. We'd be in trouble if he was logging 20 minutes a night...but he may log 10 minutes in a game or two this season. Teams generally don't have legitimate #5 defenders sitting 9th on their depth chart.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Craig Adams re-signed. He'd be cheap, and DB already has confidence in him and knows what his role will be. Plus he just seems like the type they'd keep around to eventually retire and join the coaching staff.
There's a difference between Adams at near league minimum and Cooke at 1.4M.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
There's a difference between Adams at near league minimum and Cooke at 1.4M.
I'm ... not quite sure what you're saying, or why you quoted me? I didn't mention anything about Cooke in my post.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I'm ... not quite sure what you're saying, or why you quoted me? I didn't mention anything about Cooke in my post.
It was kind of a combo of yours and the one before. Adams will be resigned for near league minimum. I was agreeing that he'd be resigned most likely . . . for that reason. A guy like Cooke is a different story because he might cost double what you're giving Adams.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Quote:
It was kind of a combo of yours and the one before. Adams will be resigned for near league minimum. I was agreeing that he'd be resigned most likely . . . for that reason. A guy like Cooke is a different story because he might cost double what you're giving Adams.
If Cooke only wants $1.4, he might be re-signed as well. I know we should be cap-conscious, but $1.4 isn't bad for a third line PKer. That's assuming Cooke also can still contribute ~10-13 goals and ~25-30 points as well. If the offensive contributions drop dramatically and he's producing more like a 4th liner than a 3rd, then I'd hope they don't re-sign him.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Well, that would be my FIRST choice. I doubt it's what this organization wants, though. I'd rather not lose anymore players for nothing, that's my main point.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:
If Cooke only wants $1.4, he might be re-signed as well. I know we should be cap-conscious, but $1.4 isn't bad for a third line PKer. That's assuming Cooke also can still contribute ~10-13 goals and ~25-30 points as well. If the offensive contributions drop dramatically and he's producing more like a 4th liner than a 3rd, then I'd hope they don't re-sign him.
He might be, but I'd like to know what less expensive options are available and what Ray Shero could do with the extra 700K in cap space.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i'd like to see Cooke get his 1000th game, here with the Penguins. he's at 897 right now. so it'd take this season and next season. then again, i don't mind occasionally indulging in sentimentality.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

Quote:
He might be, but I'd like to know what less expensive options are available and what Ray Shero could do with the extra 700K in cap space.
Re-sign Steve MacIntyre.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
We've already banked enough cap space this season to sign the King of All Cosmos to a one-year league maximum contract and still be able to add Jarome Iginla at the deadline.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Burgs

For what it's worth, Eaton has been out injured for the last week or so. He has played all of 2 games with WBS so far and is probably in no shape to help Pittsburgh even if he was signed. But Reese has 74 NHL games to his credit and seems like a carbon-copy of Lovejoy style-wise. Plus it's always nice to see a Pittsburgh native (Upper St. Clair) dress for the Pens.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I think they will just find guys similar to Adams/Cooke to replace them with, and I wouldn't rule out Cooke staying for one more go-round. The problem with Jeffrey is he's not physical, probably isn't as valuable on the wing but not good enough to play center, and I would wager he's no more than okay at killing penalties.
From what I've seen he's actually very good at killing penalties. I'm not sure he'd be willing to block a shot with his face though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
We've already banked enough cap space this season to sign the King of All Cosmos to a one-year league maximum contract and still be able to add Jarome Iginla at the deadline.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about next season.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, that would be my FIRST choice. I doubt it's what this organization wants, though. I'd rather not lose anymore players for nothing, that's my main point.
That I completely agree about

He did it last year with Letestu as well sending him to Columbus for a pick, guess well see

Old
02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
People are saying that you lost Strait for nothing which looks worse because Lovejoy was traded (presumably implying that they think you could have gotten a 5th rounder or better from Strait). In reality, NYI was claiming whichever of the two didn't make it and the other was still probably only worth a 5th (IMO, this is just ******** asset management from the worst GM in the league, Bob, the garbage GM).
Bjindaho, I would've had no problem with NYI claiming Lovejoy. He's a fully developed 28 year old who stunk last year and doesn't provide a skillset we need even when he's playing well. Strait's 24, acquitted himself well last year, and provided a skillset we could use.

What Strait would've yielded in a trade is totally beside the point. I wouldn't want to trade him, and the roster limit hasn't forced us to trade anyone worthwhile yet. We dealt Lovejoy because he sucked as much this year as he did last.

We waived a good young defenseman when we didn't have to in order to retain a cruddy veteran who we traded for a 5th a couple weeks later. That's my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Seriously? Reese isn't much worse if at all than Lovejoy. They are comparable players. Plus, from all accounts, Dumoulin is knocking on the door and if Eaton is signed, assuming he isn't totally done, he is better than Lovejoy.
The issue isn't whether Reese is worse than Lovejoy, it's that the organization identified Lovejoy as more valuable than Strait...then gave up on him a couple weeks later. Whatever my misgivings about waiving Strait, I thought maybe the Pens saw things in Lovejoy the rest of us didn't. Turns out they considered him about as valuable as Reese.

Quote:
1.) They aren't ready to make a decision on Jeffrey, Tangradi, or Boychuk and will need an open roster spot when Nisky returns.
That decision did not need to be made yet.

Quote:
2.) They feel confident in Reese as a Lovejoy replacement and Dumoulin as a call up. Also may sign Eaton.
So, according to the Pens org...Reese=Lovejoy>Strait.

That's what bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
It's safe to assume every Penguins fan and everyone in the organization would have preferred to get something in return for Strait. There are two possible reasons why they didn't:

1. Shero didn't try to work out a trade for Strait or Lovejoy during the abbreviated training camp — which, to quote Vizzini, is inconceivable — or ...

2. Shero did try to work out a trade for one of these guys and couldn't find any takers.

You can't force a team to give you something for a player ... esp. when all of those teams should have management shrewd enough to realize the Pens would have to waive one of its Dmen sooner or later.

Presumably, Shero thought Lovejoy was the more valuable — either as far as possible on-ice contribution, if necessary, or the more likely or the two to be able to be traded later in the season. It's reasonable to expect that there might have been interest for either of these Dmen but that the time wasn't right for other GMs to make a deal (they might first want to see how their D corps performs in the first couple of weeks, or perhaps they wanted to see which players become available at no cost via waivers) and that Shero, based on conversations he had with other teams, was more likely to fetch a return.

Now, if you want to complain that Despres shouldn't have been here to begin with, his quality of play puts that argument to rest. And it was clear — because after management said Despres wouldn't be at training camp, it reversed itself and he was there — that the coaching staff impressed upon management that they wanted Despres on the team this year.

Once you accept that HCDB convinced Shero of the importance of having Despres in Pittsburgh this season, how this played out appears to have been pretty inevitable.
I didn't want Despres sent down, or Strait traded. I wanted both on the Pens roster, and there's no reason why that couldn't be the case right now.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Penguinzilla

Breaking news: Strait is not that good.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinzilla View Post
Breaking news: Strait is not that good.
He's performing very well in NYI (top pairing, 2 min PK per game).

What does a rookie defenseman have to do to meet your qualifications for being "good"?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Sounds like sour grapes with Strait. The guy has played legit minutes for them and seems pretty damn comfortable dishing pucks to Streit for one-timers. Lovejoy, Bort, and maybe even Despres aren't taking Malkin to the wall one on one the way he did either. He's only a 0 +/- right now but that's not bad being paired with a defensive liability and being on the Isles.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
but don't you see what we've done with Strait?! We've created the Streit-Strait pairing! The Brooklyn Nightmare, the Defensive Dynamo... we'll be kicking ourselves for years over this dude. Open the eyes and see the future of defense. His name is Strait. If I didn't know any better I'd think he was a second cousin of Joe.

Although I initiated the Strait convo, I love the sarcastic route this thread has taken. It puts the situation in perspective.

I approve.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
BmxHockey

Ducks are my defacto West coast team. I can't shake Ben at all. Thanks Ray.

Closed Thread