HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Loktionov traded to Devils for a 5th round pick

Old
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
With westie and Lokti gone, it sure looks like Dean is stockpiling picks for the draft or getting more ammo for the trade deadline.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
With westie and Lokti gone, it sure looks like Dean is stockpiling picks for the draft or getting more ammo for the trade deadline.
It definitely helps, and Dean usually makes the most picks that he has. Take the 2009 and 2008 drafts for example. That's 14 rounds combined. The Kings had 19 picks in those two years, 9 picks in 2008 and 10 picks in 2009.

Five of those 19 picks are in the NHL (Doughty, Voynov, Nolan, Clifford, Schenn), which is a 26% success rate. Only one of those five players was traded. Two others have NHL experience but were also dealt by the Kings (Teubert and Loktionov).

Seven of the picks are currently with the Manchester Monarchs (Vey, Deslauriers, Kozun, Berube, Campbell, Czarnik, Kolomatis) and one is in college (Dowd).

While nothing is guaranteed with all of these draft picks past the second round, the probability of drafting a future player increases with the more picks you have. Let's not forget that the Kings drafted both Dwight King and Alec Martinez in the fourth round of the very same draft and that Jonathan Quick was a third round selection. It's all about your scouts doing their homework and being better prepared than every other clubs' scouts.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post

Dean's prepping for 2015. That should be much like 2003, 1991, and 1979...

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:31 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

We need more Europeans

Last edited by KingKopitar11*: 02-07-2013 at 01:39 AM.
KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:15 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
We need more Europeans
Why? Who cares where players are from, we just need more good hockey players

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:37 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Why? Who cares where players are from, we just need more good hockey players
After your comma is why we should check Europe more.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
After your comma is why we should check Europe more.
Are you trying to insinuate that good hockey players don't come from North America? Because I just watched the Kings win the Stanley Cup with a team full of North Americans.

What a silly thing to complain about.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
We need more Europeans
To be exact: we need more Slovenians.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
With the Kings' logjam at center, there was no fit for Loktionov. They tried to move him last season with minimal interest, and his agent, Igor Larionov, had been wanting a new location for his client for a long time.

Loktionov had three goals and seven points in 39 games with the Kings last season, and his status was reinforced when they did not invite him to training camp after the lockout ended.

"You've got the issue that after his contract is up he could go back to Russia," Lombardi said. "You just try to make the best deal you can."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,1364526.story

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
To be exact: we need more Slovenians.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Are you trying to insinuate that good hockey players don't come from North America? Because I just watched the Kings win the Stanley Cup with a team full of North Americans.

What a silly thing to complain about.
Not complaining I'm saying the lack of diversity in our organization implies that we don't scout other countries well. European players are just as good.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Not complaining I'm saying the lack of diversity in our organization implies that we don't scout other countries well. European players are just as good.
I'd say we do our homework on them well enough. Our strengths just happen to lie in the CHL and US college system.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
I'd say we do our homework on them well enough. Our strengths just happen to lie in the CHL and US college system.
Agree with both of you. I think it's just a matter of where we are in the draft. For example, given the 30th selection in last years draft, Pearson was clearly the top player on the Kings board, European, North American, or otherwise. Similarly, in the 4th round, Porkins or whatever his name is, clearly was the top choice - at that spot.

It's a matter of picking the best player, irregardless of nationality.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It definitely helps, and Dean usually makes the most picks that he has. Take the 2009 and 2008 drafts for example. That's 14 rounds combined. The Kings had 19 picks in those two years, 9 picks in 2008 and 10 picks in 2009.

Five of those 19 picks are in the NHL (Doughty, Voynov, Nolan, Clifford, Schenn), which is a 26% success rate. Only one of those five players was traded. Two others have NHL experience but were also dealt by the Kings (Teubert and Loktionov).

Seven of the picks are currently with the Manchester Monarchs (Vey, Deslauriers, Kozun, Berube, Campbell, Czarnik, Kolomatis) and one is in college (Dowd).

While nothing is guaranteed with all of these draft picks past the second round, the probability of drafting a future player increases with the more picks you have. Let's not forget that the Kings drafted both Dwight King and Alec Martinez in the fourth round of the very same draft and that Jonathan Quick was a third round selection. It's all about your scouts doing their homework and being better prepared than every other clubs' scouts.
That is a good analysis. Unfortunately, we can't have everybody play so sometimes it is best to get some picks for what we can have and keep the pool as deep as we can make it.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I just think that we need a better swedish connection cause those kids are under good training too

Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

BTW, I only hear the term "North American" in hockey when it comes to sports. Maybe because this is where Canada carries a lot of weight. Steve Nash is considered a foreigner (as in in the same class as European, South American, African players) in the NBA, FFS.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I just think that we need a better swedish connection cause those kids are under good training too
How about the Kings draft the best player available, regardless of where he's from? I don't get why it matters where they come from.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
How about the Kings draft the best player available, regardless of where he's from? I don't get why it matters where they come from.
You don't say? I want the best players too, I just think we miss some better players Europe.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
You don't say? I want the best players too, I just think we miss some better players Europe.
EVERY team misses good players from EVERYWHERE. The draft is such a crapshoot, and the Kings do just fine for themselves.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
EVERY team misses good players from EVERYWHERE. The draft is such a crapshoot, and the Kings do just fine for themselves.
The implication is that the Kings might not have as thorough a scouting profile on players from Europe, which is evident by the lack of European players the Kings draft.

Since Lombardi has taken over for the Kings, he's drafted 6 players out of Europe. Out of 55. That's just a smidge over 10% of players drafted out of Europe.

Maybe it's wrong to say that the Kings need to draft more Europeans, but I do think it would be beneficial for them to use more resources to get a wider pool of players in Europe.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:20 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
The implication is that the Kings might not have as thorough a scouting profile on players from Europe, which is evident by the lack of European players the Kings draft.

Since Lombardi has taken over for the Kings, he's drafted 6 players out of Europe. Out of 55. That's just a smidge over 10% of players drafted out of Europe.

Maybe it's wrong to say that the Kings need to draft more Europeans, but I do think it would be beneficial for them to use more resources to get a wider pool of players in Europe.
But those 6 are also;
Constantin Braun - Meh. Late round pick, no big loss.
Slava Voinov - Great pick in the 2nd round and an NHL player
Andrei Loktionov - Another great pick in a later round and on the cusp of being an NHL player.
Maixim Kitsyn - decent late round pick stuck in a crummy situation in the KHL.
Michael Schumacher - pretty great value so far for a 7th round pick.
Nikolai Prokhorkin - solid 2nd round pick that was able to hang in the AHL as an 19 year old.

There was also Moller, and Hyka who are European but drafted from the CHL, so they don't really count in this discussion.

I don't get the Kings not having a thorough scouting profile from Europe. Every one of those players besides Braun has expressed interest in coming overseas and playing in N.A.. Would you rather the Kings draft highly skilled European players and then have them stay overseas and never have an interest in playing in the NHL? I think the Kings have done a great job of identifying European players that are willing to dedicate themselves to making the team that drafts them and helping it win hockey games and that's huge when it comes to drafting from overseas.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Do NHL teams send scouts to Europe or do they have scouts that are based in Europe?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Do NHL teams send scouts to Europe or do they have scouts that are based in Europe?
Both. The Kings employ two European scouts, Todd Woodcroft and Christian Ruutu. However, when there are big tournaments or they want to get a closer look at a player, Lombardi or Futa or Yannetti will actually go view the player himself.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

After two scoreless games in Albany, Loktionov has been recalled by the Devils. Zubrus placed on the IR.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/transactions/

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
How can you say that when the Kings worked so hard to identify Voynov and Loktionov as players they wanted to draft? Then there's a guy like Kitsyn who tried to get over to NA and was held back by his league at home.

Under Lombardi, the Kings are nothing if not thorough. That being said the Europeans Dean will target are likely the ones that are willing to come over to NA to play in the CHL or AHL.

Meh, I should have read further. Tigermask did a great job of pointing this out.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote