HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
Getting my EQ50's hopefully tomorrow or Friday, SO EXCITED!

Old
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
AIR, really great thread, haven't bought skates in about 8 years, been keeping a few pairs of super/pro tacks alive on life support (been through 3 prolite holders in about 25 games, replacements are getting hard to find & not worth upgrading my old boots to epro holders).

Time for new skates. Found some LHS who were well stocked in ccm/reebok, reebok 7.5e (I'm a size 10 in shoes BTW) felt the best but had a 'bulky' boot. Wanting to be very thorough, I went through the bauer products as well, vapor were basically to narrow for my feet, front out sole was especially uncomfortable. I got to the supreme one.7 size 8d & had an epiphany, perfection, felt like a slipper. I moved from bauer to tacks about 20 years ago because bauer were too narrow for my growing, widening feet.

Not interested in spending $500+ plus %13 tax in ontario on a pair of skates, I can get one.7's for the same price as older one80's which would you recommend? I do want a stiff boot, borrowed a pair of graf's (don't remember the model but are very high end) last year & loved the very firm boot, but not the low boot height.

The other concern: is there a big difference in 'forward pitch', I was told that ccm/reebok has much more than bauer. Is it true & consistent with older ccm models as well? I did hold the new bauer supreme/ccm/reebok skates together & didn't see much of a difference. I'm definitely an advanced skater (played competitive hockey for 25 years), 5'-11", lean/strong 205lbs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
AIREAYE

The One80s are very stiff skates, which in your case, is not a positive. The One.7/One70 are phenomenal at their pricepoints. Looking at stiffness only, the One.7 is not as stiff and might be the level you are looking for.

The thing about forward pitch is that if that is something you want to optimize for your personal preference (most people do not need to), it's best to not focus on which skate would offer you what you are looking for, but instead, what kind of profile you want to put on your skates.

Pitch on a skate can be determined by many factors (boot angle, lacing pattern, holder tower heights, steel etc.) but it's always better to get the skate that fits the best regardless of that and then work on the pitch later.

Asking your local skate tech to put a forward pitch on for you is very easy to do. They should be able to measure the current profile of the steel in relation to the skate itself, give you a baseline pitch number and work from there. For example, After a couple years of skating on my Easton S15s (with the RB2 being an aggressive forward pitch), I had to swap out my old steel for new ones. My old steel was at an aggressive 5 degree forward pitch, so I had to put a 2 degree pitch on my new steel to match without overcompensating.

I recommend grabbing the skates that fit you best first, regardless of pitch and giving your new skates a couple of sessions for you to adapt to. If you feel you are too much on your heels or would desire more of a forward lean, you can always talk to your tech and see what they can do.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
newfr4u

i'm looking around in shops for Easton Stealths, but i can only find RS. is this normal? has S15/S17 been discontinued?

Old
02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
AIREAYE

Yes, long gone. The RS will have the rest of its line come out later this year (Spring iirc). You'll be able to find the pricepoint 85S, 65S etc etc then.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
newfr4u

crap, that means i am better off waiting a couple of months, huh? if nothing else, the RS should get a tiny bit cheaper too.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:00 PM
AIREAYE

I believe the RS is on sale at some places.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
newfr4u

yeah, $599. still a bit steep.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

5Ks...originally a mid end skate from 2008/2009. I do firmly believe that the Reebok fit has changed over the years. The newer models are slightly wider and slightly deeper I find from fitting people. They've repositioned the Pump a couple of times since that generation as well as altered the heel on some models.

Your mindset is sound; try on different pairs because what fit you back then (and that you've broken in over time) might not fit you well now.

In Reebok, see if you can find some 8Ks or 10Ks from 2010/2011 on clearance. The current lineup of 16K and 18K are great boots as well; given that you said you were looking at one or two down from the top; excellent value.

Give CCM a shot next. The U+10 and 12 are phenomenal boots. You'll have to bake them to get the true fit story.

Bauer's Supreme and Nexus should be tried as well. The first page or two should outline some models to look for.
Thank you for responding to me.

It's been a few weeks and I finally got around to trying some skates on today. I'm really in the market now, as I feel my skates are really starting to hamper me. They've lost all their "spring". Does that make sense? I just want to make sure that sounds normal with a worn out skate.. It's the best way I can describe it. Even thought they're very comfortable, once I get on the ice I feel like I've lost support.

On to my experience with fitting today....

I started with the RBK 18K. It felt okay. It was a little tight in the midfoot (or right were my toes start, whatever that's classified as), but not painful and probably something that could be sorted out with bake and break in. Next I tried the CCM's. Not sure what line it was, but I'm sure it was a higher up model in whichever line. Joe, the gentleman fitting me who I've played with for a few years now, told me that this particular skate usually doesn't fit well until it's baked. He was right. He also said he could bake them for me before I bought them though, something about them going back to normal after a bake or something. Is this right?

Next he brought out a pair of Bauer APX's. They fit like a glove which makes absolutely no sense to me since I thought they would be (and should be from what I know) too narrow. I was at a 10 in the RBKs, just barely missing that good graze on the toe cap when standing. I got a little bit too much "graze" with the APX at size 9.5, but I actually liked it. When I squatted down, my toe pulled right off. It was never scrunched even when standing. My current skates are a tad too long and I think I'll like the feel of a slightly shorter boot. Overall, very impressed. They fit like a glove and I'm sure they'll be even better after I bake and break-in should I buy them.

Here are my concerns with the APX. I am not a high level skater. I'm an intermediate skater. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and get a skate that is too stiff for me. I'm 6' 220lbs, just as a reminder. Also, I fail the pencil test. It's not terrible, but I think it would classify as a fail. A slightly deeper boot would be perfection I think. Any thoughts on this in particular? I know the skate has some sort of channel on the inside of the tongue, but it is a thin tongue. I had a sudden issue with lace bite about 1.5 years after I got my current skates. A simple gel pad corrected it in a hurry. I would hope that I would have the same luck should I have a lace bit issue with this skate, but the slightly less deep boot of the APX compared to my current RBK's does worry me. Thoughts? Overall?

The APX is priced at 600, which is a great price. It's also the last pair they have. I'm itching to pull the trigger. Next time I go in I'll try on some more models, but they're limited to RBK, Bauer, CCM and maybe one other. I don't think they have Grafs or Eastons.

I appreciate any advice.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Ted Black

Also, I have an extremely flat foot if that matters and I anticipate putting superfeet or something similar in. The APX's look like they might actually have a decent footbed though??

Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 AM
AIREAYE

A few points to be compact:

- As a boot gets worn in more and more, it gets softer and less supportive
- Yes, ideally, you could bake the CCM skates before deciding to buy. The U Foam is very heat-reactive. Lucky that you have him there to do it for you, many places won't.
- The 9.5 size in the APXs should be the sensation you're looking for. Remember that after baking/break in, your foot should sit back further still
- Without seeing your foot in the boot, I can't tell how severe the depth problem is, use your best judgement on this one. I would recommend keeping them on in the store for a bit and get some good movement/ forward bend as you walk around. Depth has a tricky relationship with lace bite... it's direct for some people but irrelevant for others
- Your concern about stiffness is definitely valid. You haven't skated in a stiff boot for a while (or ever?), so it would be a huge adjustment. You don't need an APX, so why not consider something like 5.0 or 6.0? They are substantially stiff as well. However, they will fit slightly differently than the APX
-Have you tried Supreme?
-No stock footbed is decent in terms of support. The one in the RS has different 'arch height' inserts, but that's more on the gimmicky side rather than functional

Old
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
rondonald

Thanks to this thread I'm narrowed down to the Vapor X5.0 or the Supreme One.7. I'm leaning towards the Supremes but haven't been able to try on the Vapor in my size because my local hockey store doesn't have much in stock. So, I have a couple questions...

First, the guys say they don't have much in stock because Bauer will be releasing new models in the spring, so should I wait a couple months until the current line is on sale?

Second, I'm coming from an old pair of Tacks that give me blisters on my inside heels caused from too much movement in the heel when I push off. Before the Tacks I had Grafs which never gave me any blisters, I assume because they had a deeper footbed. My main thing with this next pair of skates is that they fit well and don't cause any blisters, I'm sick of getting them every time I play. I want something that will feel like an extension of my leg, any advice (other than going back to Grafs)?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
AIREAYE

There will be a new Vapor line this Spring, so the old line will go on sale.

Like you said, blisters are caused by too much movement. The footbed is irrelevant. Make sure the skates you're looking at give you a secure fit in that area with good heel lock. Wear the socks you will be skating in (should be relatively thin athletic or skate socks, no ankle socks) when you try the skates on.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Thesensation19

Best Skates on the Market

After 8 years of a lot of hockey I am in need of new skates. I am really happy with how long these have lasted but now the skate doesnt stay tight as much anymore, starting to wear and tear, and causing comfort issues.

I have looked into some skates with minimal detail. Top of line skates are $800, no? Are these worth the price? Could they last me about 6 years with no issues? The only 800 dollar skates I was interested in was the new Easton Mako skates. I like the whole concept. Light, got a high rating in comfort and feel and the way it shapes your foot, bold MLX concept which enables better ankle flex I heard or just fits really well. I really like that they have replaceable parts to it. Got a really good rating. It was a thought but I am really having a hard time wanting to pay for 800 skates.

Can I find a really good pair of skates for $400ish?
600 max?

One thing I am finding with some new skates is their lack of protection in the tongue. I want comfort but protection is most important.

Then I want durability. Can it withstand me playing competitive hockey at least 2x a week for the next 5-6 years, more?

I dont really care for look, its the last thing im worried about.

Whats out there guys?

Best deals. top skates in differ price rangers? Any sales going on now?
Is there much of a differ betwene 800 to 600 to 400 dollar skates.
No real preference in brand

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
fryer98

Top of the forum, there's a whole thread dedicated to skates. I suggest to check that out and ask your questions there.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
AIREAYE

Please read before posting there too. I don't like repeating myself lol

Old
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
A few points to be compact:

- As a boot gets worn in more and more, it gets softer and less supportive
- Yes, ideally, you could bake the CCM skates before deciding to buy. The U Foam is very heat-reactive. Lucky that you have him there to do it for you, many places won't.
- The 9.5 size in the APXs should be the sensation you're looking for. Remember that after baking/break in, your foot should sit back further still
- Without seeing your foot in the boot, I can't tell how severe the depth problem is, use your best judgement on this one. I would recommend keeping them on in the store for a bit and get some good movement/ forward bend as you walk around. Depth has a tricky relationship with lace bite... it's direct for some people but irrelevant for others
- Your concern about stiffness is definitely valid. You haven't skated in a stiff boot for a while (or ever?), so it would be a huge adjustment. You don't need an APX, so why not consider something like 5.0 or 6.0? They are substantially stiff as well. However, they will fit slightly differently than the APX
-Have you tried Supreme?
-No stock footbed is decent in terms of support. The one in the RS has different 'arch height' inserts, but that's more on the gimmicky side rather than functional
How would the addition of Superfeet change the volume of the skate? I'm probably going to go back in today and try them, along with a couple other pairs on. I failed the pencil test in the APX, but it wasn't terrible, it was more than a graze though. Haven't tried the Supremes yet, but those are next on my list.

My RBK's used to be fairly stiff. They were a mid high end skate when I got them I think. One level above mid. There's no more energy in the skate. No more explosiveness at all and it seems to have really gotten bad the past couple months.

I really appreciate your input man, thank you.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
AIREAYE

No problem man, I appreciate honest and well-thought out questions.

If anything, Superfeet will likely reduce the amount of volume. Doesn't look good for you in that regard...

Old
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Ted Black

Quote:
No problem man, I appreciate honest and well-thought out questions.

If anything, Superfeet will likely reduce the amount of volume. Doesn't look good for you in that regard...
That's what I was thinking. I wanted to be sure. I actually have an after market footbed in my current skates that I really liked when I got them. I can't really tell if they're still useful or not.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
After 8 years of a lot of hockey I am in need of new skates. I am really happy with how long these have lasted but now the skate doesnt stay tight as much anymore, starting to wear and tear, and causing comfort issues.

I have looked into some skates with minimal detail. Top of line skates are $800, no? Are these worth the price? Could they last me about 6 years with no issues? The only 800 dollar skates I was interested in was the new Easton Mako skates. I like the whole concept. Light, got a high rating in comfort and feel and the way it shapes your foot, bold MLX concept which enables better ankle flex I heard or just fits really well. I really like that they have replaceable parts to it. Got a really good rating. It was a thought but I am really having a hard time wanting to pay for 800 skates.

Can I find a really good pair of skates for $400ish?
600 max?

One thing I am finding with some new skates is their lack of protection in the tongue. I want comfort but protection is most important.

Then I want durability. Can it withstand me playing competitive hockey at least 2x a week for the next 5-6 years, more?

I dont really care for look, its the last thing im worried about.

Whats out there guys?

Best deals. top skates in differ price rangers? Any sales going on now?
Is there much of a differ betwene 800 to 600 to 400 dollar skates.
No real preference in brand
The only top end skate I have used are my current 20Ks. Incredible skate, light, stiff, comfortable (for me). The only thing I would change (which I did along with the 652 tongues) is the blade holder. RBK holders have a habit of the front screw coming loose. I went with Tuuk Lightspeed 2. I have tried on (not skated with) every other top end skate and the 20K felt as good as everything else.

I don't think you can go wrong with any top end skate, if you have the cash and want to spend for the best, just make sure you try them all on a few times and walk around. Remember baking will help as well.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Ted Black

Went to the shop again today and tried on more skates. First pair- Tried the APX's again. I didn't mention it in my last post, but I only tried the right skate on last time. I was trying to compare it to the 18k. I tried both on this time and they're probably not going to work. I broke my fibula right down by the ankle 1.5 years ago and that ankle is still a bit bigger than my right. So with my depth worries, that skate probably isn't going to work. I'll prob try it on again one more time to make sure next time I go. Don't ask, it's just the way I am.

I thought the 18ks felt great today, i.e., better than the other day. I must be nuts. They felt great though. They're size 10 and I really think I want to squeeze into a 9.5. I just feel like my acceleration will be better because I can feel, or will be able to feel the ice so much better with that part of the steel, right beneath my toes. They don't have 18k's in 9.5. I think I tried on 20k's on Monday in 9.5, so I'll do that again next time I go. If I like them, I'm probably going to buy them. I'm really itching to get new skates, as either my skating is getting progressively worse, or my skates are just dead. They feel lifeless on the ice and they're not stable anymore. I remember a time when they felt much more explosive. I'm hoping a new pair of skates will bring this feeling back. From just walking around the store in new skates, it feels like it will.

Just an update for anyone who's paying attention!

I have another question What radius (profile) are 18k and 20k skates? I'll be getting them contoured with the first sharpening most likely. In the past I have sent my blades off to NoIcingSports (wanted to try FBV) and had them put a combo radius on them and I loved it. I think it was 8 and 11'. I don't want to deal with that this time around if I don't have to, but my shop doesn't do combo radii. Not sure what to go with?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
AIREAYE

Reebok/CCM steel is a stock 10'. The guys at NoIcingSports do a good job, they could work with you to determine a good starting point.

Just a reminder that the steel's radius and profile are different things that many people interchange when talking about them. Radii (in feet) is, in layman's terms, the amount of steel on the ice. Greater radius = more steel. Profiling is a combination of settings which include the radius, pitch etc. Another term used to describe the radius is the 'rocker' while a similar term used to describe profiling is 'contouring'. Best to clarify exactly what it is you're talking about.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Quote:
The One80s are very stiff skates, which in your case, is not a positive. The One.7/One70 are phenomenal at their pricepoints. Looking at stiffness only, the One.7 is not as stiff and might be the level you are looking for.
Interesting, so a boot can be too stiff for an advanced skater? My old pro's (03-04ish) were very (& still are somewhat) stiff.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:51 AM
esidebill

How would changing the cobra blade holders on my 709s to a TUUK LS2 effect the skate? I'm used to the TUUKs, but usually on skates made with TUUKs.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
AIREAYE

Oh lol, I misread your post and missed the 'do want stiff boot' part. I read it as 'do not'. Haha my bad.

In that case, if you can get the One80s for a good price, they're amazing. Comparable to the older One90s. Ignore what I said before than.

Well to be theoretical, yes, stiffness is definitely a preference thing that also should be proportionate to frequency/level of play and ability. Not everyone wants ski-boot stiff skate boots, as evidenced by the many X 7.0 vs APX skates in the NHL, Nexus boots, Graf etc. There is definitely a threshold for everyone, but it's personal preference.

esidebill; I'm sure others can give you better insight, check over at MSH. I believe that it will make the pitch of your skate feel a bit more neutral instead of the aggressive forward lean characterized, in part, due to the Cobra holder.

Closed Thread