HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Not the first time that has happened... Burke did it with Kabby

Nonis must know that he needs an overpayment for Kessel or his job will always be questioned.
Definitely

Old
02-07-2013, 03:05 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Salary cap and teams finances will play a big part in potential Kessel deal. Min can't afford him due to cap. PHX doesn't have $$ (and OEL is more valuable. The only team that looks like a fit is Nsh. NJ isn't trading 1st with them losing their pick next yr. SJ, Chi, Phi I don't see them needing him and trading lots of pieces could hurt their depth. Honestly only team to me that looks like a fit is Nsh
Not really. We can eat half of Kessel's salary, so now how much is he worth? Tons, that's how much.

Nashville, Washington, Anaheim, Phoenix, would all be decent partners.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
in a few years when Kessel has a 50 goal season leaf fans will be pissed we traded him for a 2nd liner and a draft pick.
This is my biggest fear. If we do trade kessel it has to be for a 1st liner or a #1 defenseman. Anything less is unacceptable.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
TheProspector

There is a short list of players, and no picks, that I would trade Phil Kessel for.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
baartman

"Holy Mackinaw, What a goal, a hat-trick for Phil Kessel as he rifles his third high glove shot past James Reimer!"

Old
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
This has crossed my mind

Yeah I like this too. Huge fan of Carlson.
My mind to.

And I agree, Carlson would be an excellent partner for Dion. Carlson is right handed isnt he?

Old
Pi

vCash: 50
This is called a shot in the dark. Not a rumor.

Old
bobbyflex

Nonis will do the right thing

Old
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
in a few years when Kessel has a 50 goal season leaf fans will be pissed we traded him for a 2nd liner and a draft pick.
This.

Who honestly wants to trade him when his value is so low? He is just the whipping boy because everyone expects him to be our franchise player.

Kessel has one pt more than Perry and one less goal, and so many fans have jumped on this trade Kessel and sign Perry and Getzlaf train. Give the man a break, it is not his fault we traded so much for him. It was never suppose to be his job to carry this team on his back. He has done exactly what is expected of him the last 3 years. The only difference right now between Perry and Kessel is one is on a winning team and one isn't. Just give Kessel time.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
This.

Who honestly wants to trade him when his value is so low? He is just the whipping boy because everyone expects him to be our franchise player.

Kessel has one pt more than Perry and one less goal, and so many fans have jumped on this trade Kessel and sign Perry and Getzlaf train. Give the man a break, it is not his fault we traded so much for him. It was never suppose to be his job to carry this team on his back. He has done exactly what is expected of him the last 3 years. The only difference right now between Perry and Kessel is one is on a winning team and one isn't. Just give Kessel time.
Kessel's team is in a playoff spot right now without him making a truly significant contribution. I think once he gets going, the Leafs will be sitting pretty in a playoff spot coming down the stretch.

Old
BlueBaron

Quote:
No they won't, because we probably won't trade him. It make 0 sense until he says he does not want to stay long term. Since every indication is he is happy here I see no reason for all this panic. It's just the media trying to invent news, nothing to see here.

This summer we will offer him 6 mil (or so) for 5+ years and all this nonesense will be done, until then the media and our trade happy HF fans will continue to talk about it.

Old
Tak7

Why is this even news?

Of course Nonis is listening. He has to listen to offers and price points for all his players. Chances are, he's been fielding calls with all GMs regularly simply because he's a new GM and others want to find out what sort of valuation the new guy puts on certain pieces of his team.

Would people honestly prefer Nonis to just hang up the phone or not answer lol?

Old
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Just got a txt from my buddy that ROR is close to signing with the avs...

/ROR rumors
great source....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Old
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
And the same people wanting him traded will be complaining that it happened.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
If we can unload the "luxury" of having to pay a premium to Kessel as a UFA (or have him bolt), these are the type of moves you want to make.

Unfortunately, the return won't be nearly as good as we gave up in the first place (i.e. Potential franchise forward, in terms of upside, and legitimate top 6 at 19- Seguin, Potential franchise d-man upside- Hamilton, and under the radar bottom 6- Jared Knight).

I actually think now is the time for Nonis to put his blueprint on the team. If he can change the culture of this team by going after a guy like (ROR- Avs, Ovy + Forsberg in a Phaneuf/Kessel swap) and maximize the existing value that Kessel still has, this could be a brilliant start to his tenure. I just hope he isn't hesitant on making the move, as his past history has indicated- he's gun shy.
Bolt you say?

Tampa Bay Lighting you say?

Steven Stamkos you say?!

Holy crap, we're getting Stamkos for Kessel!

Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
rdawg1234

I dont want to trade him unless he wants to leave.

OR unless we get a huge piece back(top 10 pick+#1 C or #1 D)

I would much prefer trying to find a #1 C for him in many other ways for the next few years, his value will be high for a while he's an elite sniper who's only 25.

Guy is snakebitten now, He is #1 in the league for shots right now, NUMBER 1, yet is the only guy up there without a goal.

Even without a #1 C he is creating chances, but it seems these random goalies are getting highlight reel saves on him half the time.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
And the same people wanting him traded will be complaining that it happened.

You're right - who's going to score goals, dig in the corners, engage along the wall, and take an forward stance with the media for us without Kessel in the lineup? That's a leafs team I definitely shudder to think of.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I dont want to trade him unless he wants to leave.

OR unless we get a huge piece back(top 10 pick+#1 C or #1 D)

I would much prefer trying to find a #1 C for him in many other ways for the next few years, his value will be high for a while he's an elite sniper who's only 25.

Guy is snakebitten now, He is #1 in the league for shots right now, NUMBER 1, yet is the only guy up there without a goal.

Even without a #1 C he is creating chances, but it seems these random goalies are getting highlight reel saves on him half the time.
or he's predictable

probably a bit of both but just saying

Old
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
This has crossed my mind

Yeah I like this too. Huge fan of Carlson.
What about Forsberg instead of the first?

Then we get a quality prospect, and they dont have to trade away their top pick.

Rielly-Phaneuf
Carlson-Gards

That would be a solid top four.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
or he's predictable

He's also the most predictable player on the ice for us right now.... guy has to learn to mix it up a bit.

edit: Wait what just happened there? lol

Old
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User

vCash: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
My mind to.

And I agree, Carlson would be an excellent partner for Dion. Carlson is right handed isnt he?
Yeah he is.

Pretty good defensive game for a young dman. Currently leading the NHL in blocked shots and has done very well in that area in the past. Excellent mobility too.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
or he's predictable

Yea for a few of them, but most we're great shots, you dont hit the post THAT many times by being predictable.

He tries to change it up, the only thing he doesn't do is drive the net, but he's never really been that kind of player so whatever. He definitely needs a dirty goal.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:25 PM
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User

vCash: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
What about Forsberg instead of the first?

Then we get a quality prospect, and they dont have to trade away their top pick.

Rielly-Phaneuf
Carlson-Gards

That would be a solid top four.
I have a feeling they'd refuse to put Forsberg in the deal. It's a strong draft this season so they may refuse to even put in a 1st if it's not a protected pick.

Would you do Carlson+Tom Wilson?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
dirk41

Quote:
in a few years when Kessel has a 50 goal season

Kessel has had six seasons of 70+ games and has never scored more than 37. And wingers peak in their twenties.

Might as well start the sentence off with "In a few years when Kessel wins a Selke."

Old
02-07-2013, 03:26 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
This.

No one is saying "get rid of him for nothing". You have to build a team the right way, always maximizing your assets. Nonis would be foolish if he didn't do homework on Kessel's interest league wide.

Closed Thread