HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staple: Strait signs 3 year contract

Old
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Smith31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
completely agree with you. Id love to see the isles move Vis for a 2nd and call it a day, but that prolly wont happen. Dont see how him being here will HELP the PP any more.
Bottom line is that if our PP (and team in general) is playing as well 2 weeks from now, I don't see how you can put Viz on PP. I would like to dump him for a 2nd as well but if we are to be so bold as to think this might be a playoff team, we can't go in with a Hickey/Carkner 3rd pairing...too much pressure on top 4. Look what happened to the Rags...

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Islander Prophet

say what you want about Garth Snow, but this guy is a much better GM than we give him credit for.

3 years at under 800K per is an absolute joke for this player, even if he ends up only playing 3rd line minutes, it's still a hell of a deal

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
While I definitely feel that this was rushed, $775K a year is a pretty good bargain.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Degeneration Rex

Strait's a bargain with his role and minutes he plays each game.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Nolanitis

And what is good about the deal is he might really wind up being a trade asset in a year or two.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
This lockout may wind up being the greatest thing that could have happened to our club. We scored a 70% + faceoff man who is one of our top 5 point producers (and is a stabilizing veteran for the kids), a solid defensive defenseman prospect in Strait, and Hickey, who is about as good of a dark horse prospect as you could ask for.

I think the contract was a reflection of just how certain the Isle's org are that Strait is the real deal. Of course they gave Mattau and Eaton contracts, so that may not be the surest thing in the world.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
InformTheMasses

Strait knows how to ice skate..... Motteau and Eaton, not real sure about that

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Strait knows how to ice skate..... Motteau and Eaton, not real sure about that
He uses his size well, really proving to be very good in the defensive zone. Again we have to hope he keeps it up, but if he does Garth strikes again!

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Bengui

Well Lovejoy fetches us a fifth, while Strait went away for nothing... So I guess Lovejoy > Strait ?
But damn, we are bleeding NHL defencemen...
EDIT : Whoops, wrong thread...

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:30 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
Well Lovejoy fetches us a fifth, while Strait went away for nothing... So I guess Lovejoy > Strait ?
But damn, we are bleeding NHL defencemen...
EDIT : Whoops, wrong thread...
Odd trade for the Pens, especially after losing Strait. Bortozzo looked pretty good the other night though. I don't think Bylsma will like having two really young dmen playing big minutes if they intend on making a playoff run. I expect more moves.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Odd trade for the Pens, especially after losing Strait. Bortozzo looked pretty good the other night though. I don't think Bylsma will like having two really young dmen playing big minutes if they intend on making a playoff run. I expect more moves.
Niskanen will be back from injury in a couple of weeks, so after that the Pens will only have one rookie in the line up.

As far as them playing big minutes, I think they're both ready to handle sheltered, but regular minutes. So I don't think any more moves are coming in terms of additional blueliners.

Up front, however ...

-----

I think the odd thing with the Strait/Lovejoy situation is just the fact everyone who watched both felt Strait was the better player/had more value, yet Strait was lost for free while Lovejoy actually returned a 5th round pick.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
LongIslandCircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanitis View Post
He uses his size well, really proving to be very good in the defensive zone. Again we have to hope he keeps it up, but if he does Garth strikes again!
I think it's no coincidence that Garth signed Strait so quickly. He saw a glimpse of a steady D man and locked him up before Strait gained any negotiating leverage. It's not an ideal process but it really shows how desperate this team is to save a buck or two.

Hopefully it works out.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
I think it's no coincidence that Garth signed Strait so quickly. He saw a glimpse of a steady D man and locked him up before Strait gained any negotiating leverage. It's not an ideal process but it really shows how desperate this team is to save a buck or two.

Hopefully it works out.
To play devils advocate. Or Snow is very good at identifying good young talent and locks them up at very affordable contracts, which is good business. I cannot remember a contract to a young, fairly unproven player that he gave out that did not work out?

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
To play devils advocate. Or Snow is very good at identifying good young talent and locks them up at very affordable contracts, which is good business. I cannot remember a contract to a young, fairly unproven player that he gave out that did not work out?
Snow has been very good so far in this aspect. Frans and AMac have been steals. The Gervais signing could be classified as a miss, but it wasn't a bad deal in the grand scheme of things. Low risk, good reward moves.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
KrisBeKreame

I think its more about fixing a mistake. I think snow really wanted to keep Reese around who was a great #7 and spot starter. He expected him to still be there when he was done waiding into the FA Pool and was horrified when he left for pittsburg. SO now hes not taking his chances with Strait.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I think its more about fixing a mistake. I think snow really wanted to keep Reese around who was a great #7 and spot starter. He expected him to still be there when he was done waiding into the FA Pool and was horrified when he left for pittsburg. SO now hes not taking his chances with Strait.
Strait is a much better D-man with room to improve his overall game.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Snow has been very good so far in this aspect. Frans and AMac have been steals. The Gervais signing could be classified as a miss, but it wasn't a bad deal in the grand scheme of things. Low risk, good reward moves.
The Gervais contract wasn't a miss. He was a top-6 dman for the team, often playing 20+ minutes a night, for the team for under 750k.

The fact that Gervais was getting 20+ minutes a night was the miss. He should have been a #7 dman, which is what he was paid like.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
InformTheMasses

Dylan who?

It's disrespectful to Andrew MacDonald and Brian Strait, to mention them in the same thread as Bruno Gervais and Dylan Reese.

I cannot even begin to compare and contrast the former two to the latter two.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote