HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Berger: Leafs, Sens Targeting Stephen Weiss

Old
02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I'd do Greening + ok prospect + 2nd. Can't say I'd want to give up too much more. Is there any chance of Matthias getting dealt too?
No friggin way I'd give up Greening +.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Unless management feels Shore can slot into Weiss' spot, and there's a good return coming back, doubt he goes anywhere.

He's our top line center, guessing Tallon would have to be wowed or know for a fact that he won't re-sign.

02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Grabovski is better than Weiss on both sides of the puck...
No hes not.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
No friggin way I'd give up Greening +.
Yes freaking way I do it, we have a bunch of players that can replace Greening 3rd/4th line minutes in the next couple of years.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
No hes not.
Yes he is

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:36 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Yes he is

You have probably never watched a Florida game in your life.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Weiss won't even be considered to be put on the trade market (if at all) until the Panthers are clearly out of the playoff picture and thats not in the 3rd week of the season. So doesnt matter if those teams are targeting him or not unless they plan on waiting another 6-8 weeks.
thats what i figured

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:45 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Yes he is
lol, not even close..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Bozak and Kulemin won't get you Weiss. Forget the 3rd. Florida can do better.
Strongly disagree. Weiss is purely a rental at this point, and he's not an "elite" player. Given the strength and depth of the 2013 draft, looking back to other trade deadline deals you're probably looking at a 1st round DP + a suspect/decent prospect.

IMO, Weiss seems to "slot" in nicely to a #2C role, and I'd bet he'd get a UFA contract similar to Grabovski or Zajac. I think he's got very solid value, but when was the last time that a trade deadline rental returned two roster players?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Yes freaking way I do it, we have a bunch of players that can replace Greening 3rd/4th line minutes in the next couple of years.
When the time comes, then we'll look into it IMO. Greening is a great, intelligent player who works hard, gets the job done and can slide in on Spezza's wing and score 17 goals (in his rookie season to boot). He's also signed to a cheap contract.

It's a no go IMO.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Has he played wing before? And hes got good size and is pretty physical right? (minus fighting)

I think the perfect winger for Spezza is a guy that has good hands, can take a beating in front of the net and play tough in the corners. I think thats evidenced by Greenings success there the last 2 years. Now replace him with a more talented player and it makes even more sense.

From what I've seen, and if the above assumption is correct, I would absolutely be interested in him.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Leafs and Sens can target all they want, Weiss is going nowhere.

When Tallon started to trade the "old guard" away and begin a proper rebuild, DT specifically asked Weiss if he wished to be traded. He wanted to stay and be a part of the rebuild.

Makes no sense for Weiss to leave now, when finally the team is starting to become competitive, and it's only going to get better. If it happens during the season or after it, doesn't matter, he'll re-sign and Tallon won't underpay him.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Has he played wing before? And hes got good size and is pretty physical right? (minus fighting)

I think the perfect winger for Spezza is a guy that has good hands, can take a beating in front of the net and play tough in the corners. I think thats evidenced by Greenings success there the last 2 years. Now replace him with a more talented player and it makes even more sense.

From what I've seen, and if the above assumption is correct, I would absolutely be interested in him.
I think you're thinking of someone else. From the Panthers games, Weiss pretty much is center only (although there's nothing to say he couldn't play wing), with good playmaking skills, a decent shot, but doesn't initiate physical play. IMO, Weiss is pretty much nothing like the player that you describe.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Only way Weiss moves is if he basically tells Florida he is not coming back. Tallon has said publically he will not deal Weiss, he will try to re-sign him, though George Richards speculates that Tallon can not let him go for nothing, like he did last year with Jason Garrison.

That said, Weiss for Kessel?
Why not Taylor Hall?

Honestly

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Howard Berger ‏@Berger_BYTES 3hr
Source tells me today #Leafs and #Senators have approached Florida about centre Stephen Weiss. Would look superb on either team.

that was the tweet

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
You have probably never watched a Florida game in your life.
You probably have never watched a Leafs game in your life

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
lol, not even close..
subjectively or objectively?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

When Tallon started to trade the "old guard" away and begin a proper rebuild, DT specifically asked Weiss if he wished to be traded. He wanted to stay and be a part of the rebuild.

Makes no sense for Weiss to leave now, when finally the team is starting to become competitive, and it's only going to get better. If it happens during the season or after it, doesn't matter, he'll re-sign and Tallon won't underpay him.
Frankly as a Sens fan, I want no part of a rental unless it's Corey Perry, but with that said I thought Weiss had made it fairly known that he'd test the market last summer. I figure Panthers fans would know precisely the deal with him, but if he's gonna test the market the clock is starting to tick in terms of getting back what you can get before you lose him for nothing.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
thats the thing would a top 6 of

Lupul Weiss Kessel,

JVR Grabovski Kuliemin

be perfect? no but while that top 6 does not have a #1 center it does however have 2 Legit # 2 centers

IF Frattin, Kadri Karmonov keep up their play Toronto has a pretty deep young top 9.

Weiss would buy us more time to find a Legit #1 the question is whats the price?

The thing that confuses me though is, what is the point of acquiring him? I don't see Weiss making the Leafs any better than are right now. Is he a replacement for Bozak? Is he really any better than Bozak?

I see the Leafs are a fringe playoff team and are missing a couple of pieces to be a legitimate team and Weiss isn't one of those pieces.

And like you said what would be the cost of acquiring him? Florida is still a rebuilding team and I think Tallon would be looking for draft picks/NHL ready prospects for him - something the Leafs absolutely cannot trade for anyone.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Frankly as a Sens fan, I want no part of a rental unless it's Corey Perry, but with that said I thought Weiss had made it fairly known that he'd test the market last summer. I figure Panthers fans would know precisely the deal with him, but if he's gonna test the market the clock is starting to tick in terms of getting back what you can get before you lose him for nothing.
Weiss has said (last summer IIRC) that he won't negotiate a new contract during the season, that's what's got everyone worried and rumouring.

He's never said to test the market, nor does he seem to be a player that would just sign with the highest $$$ bidder.

While I'm certain he'll re-sign, if, and that's a big if, if he were to leave, I'd say the only team he'd be interested in would be Toronto, for obvious home related reasons.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

Not being accusatory, but was there a reason why Garrison wasn't resigned? Seems like this is Berger speculating that the Panthers couldn't afford to lose SW for nothing, assuming the Panthers aren't in the play-off hunt at the deadline.

If Weiss want to stay, and Tallon has room in the budget to make it happen (which he should considering that Weiss is already on the books for $3.1M) there's no reason to trade him.

Just IMO, but if Weiss wants to test the UFA waters, then everything goes out the window. I'm not saying he does, but given this is the first time he's been UFA eligible, it's not ludicrous to think he might want to see what his market value is. He's a skill guy, and would likely be one of the more attactive UFA's available, which would increase his payday.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

so if he was traded he wont re-sign until the season is over ?
fine as long as he says he will re-sign at seasons end
but they wouldnt know what to pay him
5.5 per ?
better be sure

Old
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

I just cant imagine Ottawa trading anything that Florida would find to be enough value, his usefulness window is 2 months, period. we dont need him next year even if he wanted to re-sign.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
I just cant imagine Ottawa trading anything that Florida would find to be enough value, his usefulness window is 2 months, period. we dont need him next year even if he wanted to re-sign.
that is true
better to trade weiss to a team intent on keeping him
ups his market value

Old
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Petes2424

The Sens make a lot of sense. It's gonna be a good prospect and a pick.

The Leafs make little sense honestly. Sure, they can use him but in all honesty, why bother until the summer? The season is gonna go one of two ways in the next couple of weeks. Gauge it more then.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote