HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
My thoughts and prayers are with Cory Schneider tonight. If he allows anything more than 2 goals, win or lose, this message board collapse. And Mike Liut will crawl into the world's deepest bunker.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with Cory Schneider tonight. If he allows anything more than 2 goals, win or lose, this message board collapse. And Mike Liut will crawl into the world's deepest bunker.
Call me a horrible person, but I'd almost rather watch a really high-scoring game(with us ending up with the W, of course) just to put more pressure on Gillis to trade Schneider instead of Luongo. The only problem is that if he plays badly, then he loses some value.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
No, I do not know who GM's would pick, that however was brought up by a Nucks fan who said most GM's would pick Kesler hands down. Secodnly I guess you missed the part where in I said I was not a Richards fan either, yet you claim I have a bias, lol.

Here's what you said about Richards in contrast:

Quote:
That being said I am not a Richards fan per say, i have no problems with him outside of I am not a Flyers fan, lol.
Does that sound like "I do not like him as a player"? Because that's what you said about Kesler. Neutral to Richards, active dislike for Kesler. You be the judge.

Quote:
As for Loungo, you are right I don't think he moves until the off-season. He is playing to well to move right now period.It won't be lelieved but I hope Nucks fans get closer to what they are hoping for then. But If it becomes a cap issue which it could, you guys might, not I said might be disappointed in the return, time will tell.

Luongo is playing like he always has. His play won't be why this deal is done in the offseason.

I keep hearing this "disappointed in the return" phrase, but I'm not sure why it is said? Every Canuck fan has differing view points on what they expect for a Luongo return. Are you saying they're all going to be disappointed? Seems really far-fetched. There's no context to the statement so it's meaningless.

The likelihood pure futures are returned to VAN are greater in the offseason IMO. That will be the change from dealing him now, to dealing him then. If Gillis were to move him now, immediate help would be sought in the form of a contributing roster player, just like Luongo is contributing to this team right now. In the offseason, Gillis should be ready to accept a deal that doesn't have contributing roster players. That's the difference. If that's viewed as disappointing, so be it. I don't think any VAN fan will care as long as the value is there.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Liut is already in the world's deepest bunker after the media got a hold of him. You won't hear a peep out of him for some time.

As to Cory: It doesn't matter if he gets shelled so long as he's not the reason the team lost the game. Goals against, wins/losses, is not entirely his domain. As long as he controls what he can control, all good. And really, it's one game. As great as it is to create drama around it, it's quite meaningless in the bigger picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Call me a horrible person, but I'd almost rather watch a really high-scoring game(with us ending up with the W, of course) just to put more pressure on Gillis to trade Schneider instead of Luongo. The only problem is that if he plays badly, then he loses some value.

Good grief.

Do you actually believe Gillis will feel any pressure at all to change his course of direction with regards to his goalies? Be real here.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Liut is already in the world's deepest bunker after the media got a hold of him. You won't hear a peep out of him for some time.

As to Cory: It doesn't matter if he gets shelled so long as he's not the reason the team lost the game. Goals against, wins/losses, is not entirely his domain. As long as he controls what he can control, all good. And really, it's one game. As great as it is to create drama around it, it's quite meaningless in the bigger picture.

Good grief.

Do you actually believe Gillis will feel any pressure at all to change his course of direction with regards to his goalies? Be real here.
Valid attitude in an 82-game schedule. 48 games? Not so much.

After tonight, better than 1/5 of the season will be in the books for every team.

Each game in this format is gigantic.

This isn't the type of season where coaches will let a bad game by a goalie slide. No time to let them work through rough patches.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Good grief.

No. But dare to dream.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Valid attitude in an 82-game schedule. 48 games? Not so much.

Still as valid.

You and I both know that GMs are longer term thinkers than that. If one game meant as much then Luongo would have been traded out of VAN after the nucks got shelled 7-2 by the Hawks last year. There were radio callers phoning in wanting his head afterwards. What happens? The team goes on a tear getting the best winning percentage over the next 20 games... with Luongo backstopping them in most of those games.

1 game is meaningless.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
No. But dare to dream.

Why would you dream about Schneider being traded? For a better potential return?

I think people will realize just how much of a building block Schneider is. He'll be right there with the Sedins and Hamhuis as part of the core of the Canucks. A main piece. And this on a team with guys like Kesler and Edler still on it. He will be more valuable, or just as valuable as those guys. Just like Luongo is/was. I don't think people can see that right now, but they will.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Why would you dream about Schneider being traded? For a better potential return?

I think people will realize just how much of a building block Schneider is. He'll be right there with the Sedins and Hamhuis as part of the core of the Canucks. A main piece. And this on a team with guys like Kesler and Edler still on it. He will be more valuable, or just as valuable as those guys. Just like Luongo is/was. I don't think people can see that right now, but they will.
We'd have a better chance at landing an impact player via trade, and also I think that Luongo is experiencing a resurgence. For the near future I have confidence Luongo will be the better goalie, and either Lack, Cannata, or some yet-to be drafted prospect can take up the mantle in around 5ish years.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
We'd have a better chance at landing an impact player via trade, and also I think that Luongo is experiencing a resurgence. For the near future I have confidence Luongo will be the better goalie, and either Lack, Cannata, or some yet-to be drafted prospect can take up the mantle in around 5ish years.

Schneider _is_ or will be proven to be, an impact player. Just needs more games to showcase it to everyone. (I already believe him to be)

Luongo may be experiencing a resurgence, but this is about the long-term stability of this franchise. For whatever reason, Luongo felt it was time to go to management and request a move. That part is done and on the books. Schneider is the Canucks goalie moving forward. Nothing has changed on that front.

This is how a team like VAN can remain in the playoff picture years down the road. They have a key young piece already in house, ready to take over perhaps the most important position in hockey. One does not deal that for a mystery box (a could be impact player or Lack or Cannata becoming excellent #1's etc...) You keep the certainty, the bird in the hand, and that's Schneider.

I'm kind of surprised actually that people in VAN think it's a possibility. Seems like Kypreos is more popular than I thought...

Aaaaand Tim Thomas gets traded to the island for a conditional 2nd...

Old
02-07-2013, 05:33 PM
RECsGuy*

Cross the Islanders off...

Old
02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
RECsGuy*

Lightning, Panthers, Maple Leafs, Capitals.

Who's it going to be, folks?

BTW, now that Eklund is getting high-fived left and right, I'll pass this along...

Quote:
there certainly is some traction to the the Florida and Stephen Weiss rumors.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...4#.URQsTH3sORs

Old
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Lightning, Panthers, Maple Leafs, Capitals.

Who's it going to be, folks?

BTW, now that Eklund is getting high-fived left and right, I'll pass this along...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...4#.URQsTH3sORs
cross the leafs off

Old
02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 362
Quote:
Luongo may be experiencing a resurgence, but this is about the long-term stability of this franchise. For whatever reason, Luongo felt it was time to go to management and request a move. That part is done and on the books. Schneider is the Canucks goalie moving forward. Nothing has changed on that front.
Really? The reason it pretty obvious to me, and most others I would assume.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Bieksallent

Thomas was Gillis' mystery player! Luongo to Boston! lol

Old
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

I have been through about 8 makeovers of the Vancouver Canucks in my 35 year tenure of being a fan since I was 11.

The Sedins are part of the Naslund , then Luongo version of the Canucks.

Kesler and Edler are part of the Sedin and eventually Kesler version of the Canucks.

Schneider would be part of that core. However, I find it hard to believe the canucks can honestly compete as a real contender without the Sedins, unless something miraculous happens with Schroeder and Kassian.

So trade Schneider for a higher return. We also have Eddie Lack waiting in the wings to boot.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Cross the Islanders off...
Thomas being traded to Islanders has no affect on Luongo situation. If you read the news Islanders were going to be below cap floor tomorrow. Garth Snow says it gives roster flexibility, which means he does not have to worry about moving players to reach cap floor. Or this lets him move a player without having to take more salary back. Wang is loving this.

Last edited by Numbers: 02-07-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
Thomas was Gillis' mystery player! Luongo to Boston! lol
Lucic, Marchand, Seguin and a pick!

Not that it should be needed, but

Old
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I have been through about 8 makeovers of the Vancouver Canucks in my 35 year tenure of being a fan since I was 11.

The Sedins are part of the Naslund , then Luongo version of the Canucks.

Kesler and Edler are part of the Sedin and eventually Kesler version of the Canucks.

Schneider would be part of that core. However, I find it hard to believe the canucks can honestly compete as a real contender without the Sedins, unless something miraculous happens with Schroeder and Kassian.

So trade Schneider for a higher return. We also have Eddie Lack waiting in the wings to boot.
I wouldn't be too negative. Sedins will be around for another 4-5 years after this one. That gives lots of time for prospects to mature. You are also forgetting free agency where Canucks have picked up some really good players. When Sedins go it opens more cap space, plus cap will be higher by then. Corrado, Jensen, Gaunce all project to be good players. Kassian is already showing signs of brilliance, and Schroeder is actually playing really good. He is very responsible defensively, see time after time helping out defence, and is an extremely good passer on offence. He easily can be at the very least, a great 3rd line center in the future.

Last edited by Numbers: 02-07-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
No thanks! It's time for a different approach in the playoffs than the last 4 years. I don't care what Luongo is doing (and always has done, especially pre-injury 4 years ago) in the regular season.

A gamble is better than what never has and won't work. I think Schneider is a gamble with good odds.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
If Schneider has rough few games the price for Luongo goes up.

If Schneider has great few games the price for Luongo is unaffected and we can sit back, relax and enjoy other teams goals struggles.

It's all good.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
If Schneider has rough few games the price for Luongo goes up.

If Schneider has great few games the price for Luongo is unaffected and we can sit back, relax and enjoy other teams goals struggles.

It's all good.

Has no affect on the price of Luongo since it's very doubtful Luongo gets traded this season. Nobody is taking on that contract and giving up anything of value, the Canucks are better with the two goaltenders for this season than anything they will get in trade. Therefore Luongo gets dealt in the offseason unless they decide to trade Schneider who they will get a return on.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
new thread

Closed Thread