HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Could Mexico support an nhl team.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
HugoSimon

vCash: 500
Could Mexico support an nhl team.

Serious question, could it happen..

Again obviously it`s a crazy idea, but you gotta remember that the mexican economy is larger than canada`s, and mexico city has a larger gdp than most Canadian cities. So simply based on a massive market size, and sheer population the country is worth giving attention.

And as much as american`s wanna stereotype the country as a bunch of poor peasant that are desperate to come to america, there is quite a strong middle class in the city itself.

So assuming that it was a novelty sport, or simply a ego thing of mexicans wanting to identify as northern, do you think it could work.

And please keep in mind this is an exercise to work your brain, not a contest to who can say no fastest.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
one2gamble

anything is possible. Their national team is still kicking.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
LeafShark

Nope. The hockey market just isn't there, even with 10M+ people the hockey market of Mexico City is smaller than Saskatoon's. Not to mention the political, security, and economic issues. San Diego is a far better option to try to enter into Mexican market. Not in our lifetime. MLB hasn't even tried yet.

LeafShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
I just got back from Mexico yesterday actually. Your best shot would be getting support from visiting Canadian tourists. Heck 80% of the non-locals I met down there were Canadians on vacation. The locals wouldn't be going. But they sure know how many Canadian tourists they get...all the little markets are stacked with knock-off stuff. I have a luchadore (Mexican wrestler) mask with the Jets 2.0 logo on it.

There were two Canadian sports bars across the street of our resort. All they showed was hockey, except when the Superbowl was on.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:42 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
Nope. The hockey market just isn't there, even with 10M+ people the hockey market of Mexico City is smaller than Saskatoon's. Not to mention the political, security, and economic issues. San Diego is a far better option to try to enter into Mexican market. Not in our lifetime. MLB hasn't even tried yet.
And you win the competition for fastest no in the league.

But if you seriously think going to a city with a bunch of poor migrant mexicans is gonna get you into the upper tier of mexican sporting audience, I really don`t know what to say.

If hockey were to work in mexico, it`d be as a status symbol for the upper class.

Mexico city has a high number of people who have incomes that could support mid ranged hockey tickets, the only reason something like this would work is by appealing to them and making hockey appear as an elite sport.

MLB and NFL I don`t think would work for a variety of reasons, NFL is too expensive and too america, baseball is too ordinary, cuban, old fashioned etc.

The nba I think could pull it off, however it would have to be from a broader audience.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
And you win the competition for fastest no in the league.

But if you seriously think going to a city with a bunch of poor migrant mexicans is gonna get you into the upper tier of mexican sporting audience, I really don`t know what to say.

If hockey were to work in mexico, it`d be as a status symbol for the upper class.

Mexico city has a high number of people who have incomes that could support mid ranged hockey tickets, the only reason something like this would work is by appealing to them and making hockey appear as an elite sport.

MLB and NFL I don`t think would work for a variety of reasons, NFL is too expensive and too america, baseball is too ordinary, cuban, old fashioned etc.

The nba I think could pull it off, however it would have to be from a broader audience.
How would this team attract free agents?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Edmonton to Mexico City roadies would be epic

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Mike Myers once was working on a screen play titled Hockey Night in Mexico iirc.

Anyway, Mexico city CMA is over 20 million so that would rival the NY area with their 3 teams. Problem is Mexico is not a rich country. The NHL has a hard enough time filling a rink in Phoenix where more people are familiar with the sport. I don't see it working in Mexico.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Mike Myers once was working on a screen play titled Hockey Night in Mexico iirc.

Anyway, Mexico city CMA is over 20 million so that would rival the NY area with their 3 teams. Problem is Mexico is not a rich country. The NHL has a hard enough time filling a rink in Phoenix where more people are familiar with the sport. I don't see it working in Mexico.
The country side of mexico is poor as hell, but the city itself has a significant group of middle income people.

In fact I depending on which figures you use MC has an economy a slight bit larger than Phoenix`s and would face no competition from the big 3.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
Serious question, could it happen..

Again obviously it`s a crazy idea, but you gotta remember that the mexican economy is larger than canada`s, and mexico city has a larger gdp than most Canadian cities. So simply based on a massive market size, and sheer population the country is worth giving attention.

And as much as american`s wanna stereotype the country as a bunch of poor peasant that are desperate to come to america, there is quite a strong middle class in the city itself.

So assuming that it was a novelty sport, or simply a ego thing of mexicans wanting to identify as northern, do you think it could work.

And please keep in mind this is an exercise to work your brain, not a contest to who can say no fastest.
It is? From all the sources I looked online, Canada has a larger economy.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
It is? From all the sources I looked online, Canada has a larger economy.
I was using PPP numbers.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Pepe Silvia

The NHL would be the last of the big 4 to go into Mexico. If you think hockey's unpopular in Phoenix or Miami, just imagine Mexico

Pepe Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Tomas W

Sure...why not try Cuba while your at it.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
cbcwpg

According to some... the potential of a large population far out-ways the fact that there are no hockey fans in said large population.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
According to some... the potential of a large population far out-ways the fact that there are no hockey fans in said large population.
Most have never heard of hockey so it hard to have fans already there. The NHL would have to market the sport.

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:24 PM
LeafShark

It's "grow the game" Bettman philosophy 101 on steroids. In anywhere other than Canada, hockey is a niche/unkown/new/growing market, so it would be best to start at the grassroots with junior and minor league hockey. It is not responsible to throw your product in an untested market and let it sink or swim.

That said Phoenix SHOULD have worked quite easily, if not for terrible arenas/owners. But Phoenix actually does have some hockey history, and a big enough population to make up the difference... now if only the arena could have been built IN Phoenix.

I think San Diego would probably work, and you can try to attract the Mexican demographic from there. Take baby steps. The NHL expanded too much, too quickly, into some untested markets. Nowadays it's much easier to "test" a market through simply looking at some simple google statistics, and combining them with city statistics like demographics and population. Hockey is an expensive sport, so the "grassroots" movement will take some time.

Because of such disparity in wealth in Mexico, I think trying to attract the "top 1%" could lead to a huge backlash, and it could lead to a political nightmare. This would also kill any grassroots movement, as the lower class of people will label it as a "rich person's only" event. There are also many people in Mexico who have made their money doing shady things. And why try to attract Canadians in Mexico when you can attract them in Canada? Well actually I suppose you have a somewhat valid argument here for snowbirds that spend more than a brief amount of time in Mexico each year, but there's not enough of those people.

The NHL has succeeded despite Bettman's overly aggressive expansion. Just allow the game to continue to trickle south, and eventually it will reach Mexico when they're ready.

LeafShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Sure...why not try Cuba while your at it.
Trade embargo, silly.

Corporate money may be there, but almost zero support for the sport otherwise. Would not work.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
It's "grow the game" Bettman philosophy 101 on steroids. In anywhere other than Canada, hockey is a niche/unkown/new/growing market, so it would be best to start at the grassroots with junior and minor league hockey. It is not responsible to throw your product in an untested market and let it sink or swim.

That said Phoenix SHOULD have worked quite easily, if not for terrible arenas/owners. But Phoenix actually does have some hockey history, and a big enough population to make up the difference... now if only the arena could have been built IN Phoenix.

I think San Diego would probably work, and you can try to attract the Mexican demographic from there. Take baby steps. The NHL expanded too much, too quickly, into some untested markets. Nowadays it's much easier to "test" a market through simply looking at some simple google statistics, and combining them with city statistics like demographics and population. Hockey is an expensive sport, so the "grassroots" movement will take some time.

Because of such disparity in wealth in Mexico, I think trying to attract the "top 1%" could lead to a huge backlash, and it could lead to a political nightmare. This would also kill any grassroots movement, as the lower class of people will label it as a "rich person's only" event. There are also many people in Mexico who have made their money doing shady things. And why try to attract Canadians in Mexico when you can attract them in Canada? Well actually I suppose you have a somewhat valid argument here for snowbirds that spend more than a brief amount of time in Mexico each year, but there's not enough of those people.

The NHL has succeeded despite Bettman's overly aggressive expansion. Just allow the game to continue to trickle south, and eventually it will reach Mexico when they're ready.
Who said anything about the top 1 percent of mexico, I`m talking about the top 30-40 percent in mexico city.

San Diego would do the exact opposite.

Phoenix and Atlanta`s biggest problems was the competition from other sports league, a problem that is non existent in MC.

The grass roots thing, does n `t work if your trying to establish it as a top tier brand.

The reason this works in American markets is because the nhl isn`t seen as top tier.

And as far a bestmans southern expansion issue

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/ 3 of the bottom 4 are not in the desert.

As much as it`s easy to rag on bettman the fact of the matter is, most markets are already dominated the big 3 and NCAA long before betteman cam along.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Not on your life. Essentially zero interest in the sport south of the border, not to mention that the simple economic reality of a team paying its players in dollars but getting paid in pesos by their fans would destroy the team pretty darn quick.

You thought that the 90s American to Canadian dollar conversation rate was bad for Canadian teams, just imagine it if it was American dollars to Mexican pesos.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Pepe Silvia

Not that I think any league is going into Mexico soon, but I would think Mexicans would prefer an NBA, NFL, or MLB team over the NHL. Even with Mexico City's population and GDP, there isn't much incentive to put a hockey team there.

Last edited by Pepe Silvia: 02-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 03:46 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Hockey will never be more popular than Lucha libre down there.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Not that I think any league is going into Mexico soon, but I would think Mexicans would prefer an NBA, NFL, or MLB team over the NHL. Even with Mexico City's population and GDP, there isn't much incentive to put a hockey team there.
Because the NHL has failed to market there. Im really starting to think the NHL needs to start getting a marketing department.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
Because the NHL has failed to market there. Im really starting to think the NHL needs to start getting a marketing department.
The NHL has improved their marketing strategies since the 04-05 lockout IMO. The first couple years were pretty brutal from a PR standpoint. And I'd rather see them continue to grow the game in nontraditional markets in the US and focus on improving current franchises before even thinking about Mexico. The risk doesn't seem to be worth the reward at this point in time.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
The NHL has improved their marketing strategies since the 04-05 lockout IMO. The first couple years were pretty brutal from a PR standpoint. And I'd rather see them continue to grow the game in nontraditional markets in the US and focus on improving current franchises before even thinking about Mexico. The risk doesn't seem to be worth the reward at this point in time.
The NFL, MLB,NBA and NASCAR all have offices down there. Hell teh NHL should market to the hispanic fanbase in america also.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
The NFL, MLB,NBA and NASCAR all have offices down there. Hell teh NHL should market to the hispanic fanbase in america also.
Agreed. The Sharks and Kings seem to be doing a pretty good job marketing to Hispanics.