Flames Sign Danny Taylor

Old
02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
True he may have gotten more, but witnessing the severe decline in Reghers play since being in buffalo I'm still gonna call that trade a win lol.
Im not sure how that trade can really be a win for us in any way.

Byron is pretty much a bust (I know some people are going to disagree with me.)

So its really Butler for Regehr + 2nd + Kotalik.

Pretty bad.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Not really, you can easily fill your farm team by signing skaters to AHL SPCs or PTOs (like Laing, McCarthy etc,)

Well, if another goaltender goes down the next in line to get called up is Brust. He is not that far down the depth chart.

I agree that is very unlikely that Brust will wear a flames jersey this year, however, down the road he is closer to the NHL than Bryan Cameron, Gaelan Patterson, David Eddy, Ryan Howse etc. etc.
Maybe, but those are Flames property players, the Flames have no affiliation to, and/or potentially no interest in Brust. They never drafted or signed him. The Heats GM signed him. The only affiliations we have to him is that our farm team plays him on their team. We could just as easily go sign someone else's AHL goalie if we needed to.

BTW Brust is so far down the depth chart, that he's not even on it. In the event we lose Kipper and Irving, or Taylor, Gillies or Brossoit could be brought in, after that in 1 month or so Ramo would be the very first guy put onto the team. I doubt very very much that Brust is ever even invited to Flames training camp let alone brought onto the team ahead of the 6 guys mentioned.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
You forgot the Regehr trade, which was probably his worst move seeing as we probably could've got more in return. But im not to pissed about it because hes doing a lot of things right so he gets my thumbs up
I doubt it ownership told Feaster to trade Kotalik or play him so we had to dump him and Regher wouldn't waive his no trade for any team but Buffalo after he met the owner. We got the only deal we could get.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Im not sure how that trade can really be a win for us in any way.

Byron is pretty much a bust (I know some people are going to disagree with me.)

So its really Butler for Regehr + 2nd + Kotalik.

Pretty bad.
Potentially because of the 7 million in salary we dumped in that trade?

Last edited by Hand of Gaudreau: 02-07-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Thought Regehr made 5 mil a season.
Old
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Not really, you can easily fill your farm team by signing skaters to AHL SPCs or PTOs (like Laing, McCarthy etc,)

Well, if another goaltender goes down the next in line to get called up is Brust. He is not that far down the depth chart.

I agree chances are low that we'll see Brust wearing a flames jersey this year, however, down the road he is closer to the NHL than players that were apparently "worthy" of a NHL contract like Bryan Cameron, Gaelan Patterson, David Eddy, Ryan Howse etc. etc.
If another goaltender goes down, this team has bigger problems than having enough goalies under contract (Brust isn't Flames property).

I doubt any of the prospects you've listed remain under contract with the Flames once their contracts expire.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

If another goalie goes down, we bring in Ramo, do we not?

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
If another goalie goes down, we bring in Ramo, do we not?
He's not available until the end of the KHL season - and he's on a good team so wouldn't be available until most of the playoffs were done.

Ortio may be another option. Not sure when his season ends.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Potentially because of the 7 million in salary we dumped in that trade?
I wouldn't consider Regehrs salary a dump.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
He's not available until the end of the KHL season - and he's on a good team so wouldn't be available until most of the playoffs were done.

Ortio may be another option. Not sure when his season ends.
Please god no.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Please god no.
Based on what, exactly?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I doubt it ownership told Feaster to trade Kotalik or play him so we had to dump him and Regher wouldn't waive his no trade for any team but Buffalo after he met the owner. We got the only deal we could get.
Im just stating that it is the worst move he did, it might of been his only option but giving the 2nd pick in return kinda stings a little. I would've been OK with the trade minus the 2nd. I know Sutter left us with a some deadweight to get rid of (Kotalik) but there was other ways to deal with him, Byron seems like hes a bust and well Butler im willing to give him another shot as hes been doing good on the 3rd line. All in all, it was not Feaster's best work but like you said it could've been his only move.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
I wouldn't consider Regehrs salary a dump.
Would you take that player on your blueline right now at 4 mil a season? I wouldn't, he's a lot older and slower than he was when he was effective, coupled with the fact that the game was slower when he was effective. He produces 2 goals a year and as such would only be effective on the PK and I like the defense on our PK just fine.

Last edited by Hand of Gaudreau: 02-07-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: sorry I meant goals not points
Old
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Im just stating that it is the worst move he did, it might of been his only option but giving the 2nd pick in return kinda stings a little. I would've been OK with the trade minus the 2nd. I know Sutter left us with a some deadweight to get rid of (Kotalik) but there was other ways to deal with him, Byron seems like hes a bust and well Butler im willing to give him another shot as hes been doing good on the 3rd line. All in all, it was not Feaster's best work but like you said it could've been his only move.
Yea it is the worst deal he made I agree but he really only had 1 option and it would be pretty hard to trade 7 million in salary for an RFA defensemen and a young player who is doing well in the ahl without giving up a pick when you consider Regher is no longer a top 2 defensemen I wouldn't even call him top 4. Byron only looks like a bust if you didn't see him play for the americans they play a fast pace offensive game (much like Hartley) but on the Heat Ward plays a very defensive system (much like Sutter) and if this year has taught us anything it is that a Sutter system ruins offensive "soft" players. I would not write Byron off yet.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
BTW Brust is so far down the depth chart, that he's not even on it. In the event we lose Kipper and Irving, or Taylor, Gillies or Brossoit could be brought in, after that in 1 month or so Ramo would be the very first guy put onto the team. I doubt very very much that Brust is ever even invited to Flames training camp let alone brought onto the team ahead of the 6 guys mentioned.
I'm not talking about next year.

If Irving or Taylor goes down in the next few days or weeks, I bet they'll sign Brust (the statistical leader of the AHL in many categories) and play him ahead of junior age goaltenders.

Quote:
I doubt any of the prospects you've listed remain under contract with the Flames once their contracts expire.
While Feaster got some praise for the way he handled the Taylor/Brust "contract issue", Feaster's contract management hasn't always been exemplary, that's what I was pointing out.

In the end, did Feaster decided not to sign Taylor and Brust because of good management or because he didn't have that luxury due to past mistakes?

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
cooksond

Quote:
Mike Jones isn't completly wrong. You can basically call it good and bad management at the same time! Not signing someone like Taylor, who was only needed in case of an emergency, might look like a good move. However, Feaster probably didn't always use that logic because the Flames currently have 48 players under contract (couting Taylor) which means that a bunch of contracts are currently "burned" on players that probably won't ever play in the NHL.

Also by not having Brust under contract, there is a risk that he gets stolen by another team.

Apparently, he is gone to play in Italy
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4543857

Sexsmith had already accepted the contract with Bolzano, Italy and was only going to be available for Wednesday's game against Rochester. Heat are off until Saturday so there's time to get someone else in.

cooksond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

No more Sexsmith already? That was fast.

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
DevilsAnimal*

I have never been so excited and disapointed in the span of 24 hours that I have been since Sexsmith signed that contract :'(

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

That's . . . peculiar. So either they have to sign someone else or Kipper should be back by Saturday and they'll send Taylor down by then.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Adirondack Flames

Sexsmith has already committed to Italy before signing his PTO with Abbotsford. It was a 1 off situation from the start, he was in the region, was qualified to play if something happened to Brust and bought Abbotsford a little more time to find someone.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
What's an SPC?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What's an SPC?
Standard Player Contract

Old
02-07-2013, 10:44 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Standard Player Contract
That explains a lot. I couldn't wrap my head around why hockey players would want a student price card.

It's not like they ain't got any money!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:26 AM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
What's an SPC?
Student Price Card

Basically, it gets you good deals to a variety of stores, you pay the 9.95.. get the card and discounts everywhere at major retailers. Quite a deal IMO

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Student Price Card

Basically, it gets you good deals to a variety of stores, you pay the 9.95.. get the card and discounts everywhere at major retailers. Quite a deal IMO

And the Heat are just giving these away to get players???!!!

Old
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Student Price Card

Does it come with a NMC?