HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Isles getting ready to make move?

Old
02-07-2013, 06:04 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
A move could easily be coming in the next 24-48 hours. The Islanders have far too many players right now. To make room for Vis, Bailey, Joensuu when they return, they will need to make decisions.

Considering the Isles picked up Finley, Strait, Hickey and Aucoin, and I think they kind of like them and want to try to keep them, there is a limit on sending them down so soon after taking them off waivers. I am thinking that Edmonton will be a trade partner. Edm. needs a center to address their injury issues. Will it be Reasoner? Perhaps it might be Aucoin. Maybe Bailey will be traded?

I don't think it will be Visnovsky. Any ideas on Neilsen or Tavares are fantasy its just not going to happen. I think the Isles could consider moving one of Ulstrom or Cizikas, but I think they like both of those players and would be more inclined to retain them over a guy like Reasoner or Aucoin.

The Thomas move is for cap reasons. My guess is he will never wear an Isles uniform.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
How about we switch it? You give us Reasoner and a 6th, and we give you Omark?
We all know Omark will never play another game as an Oiler. As an Oiler fan, I would be happy with Omark for Reasoner straight across. The Isles seem to like project players, so they might give Omark that shot in the NHL that he's desperate for but wouldn't get with the Oilers because all of our top 6 wingers are better then him.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If it's a big contract going out, I'm guessing it's one of:

Visnovsky (5.6 million cap hit)
Streit (4.1 million cap hit)
Grabner (3.0 million cap hit)
Okposo (2.8 million cap hit)

I wouldn't be shocked if it was Okposo. He has 1 goal in 9 games. A few years ago the Isles waived Comeau after he had no goals in 16 games. He was the same age then as Okposo is now and had put up identical numbers the year before as Okposo did last year (24 goals, 45 points).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If you make it a 2nd done deal
Too much, pass.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

It's probably Reasoner to the Oilers for a pick.

02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
We all know Omark will never play another game as an Oiler. As an Oiler fan, I would be happy with Omark for Reasoner straight across. The Isles seem to like project players, so they might give Omark that shot in the NHL that he's desperate for but wouldn't get with the Oilers because all of our top 6 wingers are better then him.
Oh, me too. I just wanted to flip the 6th rounder discussed for funsies.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If it's a big contract going out, I'm guessing it's one of:

Visnovsky (5.6 million cap hit)
Streit (4.1 million cap hit)
Grabner (3.0 million cap hit)
Okposo (2.8 million cap hit)

I wouldn't be shocked if it was Okposo. He has 1 goal in 9 games. A few years ago the Isles waived Comeau after he had no goals in 16 games. He was the same age then as Okposo is now and had put up identical numbers the year before as Okposo did last year (24 goals, 45 points).

Isles cap was at $49m. They didn't need TT to move Okposo's $2.8m hit if they wanted to trade Okposo.

Okposo is a slow starter every yr, which the NYI know.

And there were several key differences in the Comeau/Okposo situations: Comeau and the isles had just finished a bitter contract dispute. They reached agreement hrs before arbitration. Comeau had wanted a longterm deal and been forced to settle for a 1 yr/$2.5m deal.

He not only was scoreless in his first 16 games, but he was playing with a noticable lack of effort. Okposo is playing hard, going to the dirty areas of the ice while making $2m.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:16 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The Isle's are desperate for D right? Sharks have too many... We'd likely only have interest in Grabner, Nielson and Moulson though. But Demers, Murray, or Bruan could be available in return.
Why are the NYI desperate for D?

Vis joined the team, passed his physical and has been added to their roster.

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Carkner-Visnovsky
Hickey-Finley

Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
hockeyball

Between Braun/Demers its tough. Teams would probably prefer Demers I guess, but both have had excellent starts to their careers, can play big minutes, and have a lot of untapped potential. Take your pick really.

As far as Okposo, we are simply in the market for fast wingers that can play 2nd/3rd line. So absolutely.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Between Braun/Demers its tough. Teams would probably prefer Demers I guess, but both have had excellent starts to their careers, can play big minutes, and have a lot of untapped potential. Take your pick really.

As far as Okposo, we are simply in the market for fast wingers that can play 2nd/3rd line. So absolutely.
Ok. Again. Why does Snow move a cheap, young core player for D, when he doesn't need D?

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Carkner-Visnovsky
Hickey-Finley

Old
02-07-2013, 06:26 PM
jeromeo87

To
Sanguinetti, Dalpe
To
Okposo

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
David71

van will glady take striet

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:29 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles cap was at $49m. They didn't need TT to move Okposo's $2.8m hit if they wanted to trade Okposo.

Okposo is a slow starter every yr, which the NYI know.

And there were several key differences in the Comeau/Okposo situations: Comeau and the isles had just finished a bitter contract dispute. They reached agreement hrs before arbitration. Comeau had wanted a longterm deal and been forced to settle for a 1 yr/$2.5m deal.

He not only was scoreless in his first 16 games, but he was playing with a noticable lack of effort. Okposo is playing hard, going to the dirty areas of the ice while making $2m.
His contract escalates from here, $2m, $3m, $3.5m $4.5m. Sadly seems like the kind of player cheap ***** Wang/Snow might move (future $2.8m cap hit less than $ being paid)

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Only piece we could give you that makes sense is Okposo because he just hasn't meshed on any lines and may just need a change of scenery to take off.

Out of Demers/Braun who do you rate higher?
I like Demers better, but Braun is playing better right now and is better defensively. I'd potentially move one of them for Okposo, whom I'm a fan of.

Quote:
Ok. Again. Why does Snow move a cheap, young core player for D, when he doesn't need D?

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Carkner
-Visnovsky
Hickey-Finley
Snow doesn't need D? Yeah, that's why he claimed Strait and Hickey and is icing the likes of Carkner. Besides, both Demers and Braun are easily better than the bolded and arguably as good as anyone but Hamonic. Besides, Streit and Visnovsky are not long-term solutions. Demers or Braun would be.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
To
Sanguinetti, Dalpe
To
Okposo
K.O could be had for in a deal for McBain/Pitkanen/Faulk. Not that offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
van will glady take striet
Maybe at the deadline if we're out of it or opt to become sellers and tank.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I like Demers better, but Braun is playing better right now and is better defensively. I'd potentially move one of them for Okposo, whom I'm a fan of.

Snow doesn't need D? Yeah, that's why he claimed Strait and Hickey and is icing the likes of Carkner. Besides, both Demers and Braun are easily better than the bolded and arguably as good as anyone but Hamonic. Besides, Streit and Visnovsky are not long-term solutions. Demers or Braun would be.
Basically, but I wasn't responding because I don't argue with other team's fan bases about their own needs. We have young, cheap, quality D to offer, Isle's have some young cheap quality forwards. Seem like good partners, that's all I was saying. If you don't think the Isle's need D then I guess we simply have nothing to discuss.

The Sharks have Brent Burns about to come off of IR which leaves them with:

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Boyle
Demers - Braun
Irwin - Murray
Petrecki

all currently on the roster, all NHL caliber (Petrecki is questionable but Larry Robinson say's he's ready so I'll take his word for it). Irwin/Demers/Braun are all very similar two-way offensively capable d-men. Irwin can be sent down, but has played very well in the NHL thus far. All signs point to the Sharks jettisoning a quality D player imminently (and we are rumored to be shopping for a winger).

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
His contract escalates from here, $2m, $3m, $3.5m $4.5m. Sadly seems like the kind of player cheap ***** Wang/Snow might move (future $2.8m cap hit less than $ being paid)
Okposo and Grabner both make $2m in actual salary this season, then $3m in actual salary next season.

Imo the isles won't look to trade young core players, making team friendly salaries.

I'd expect the isles would kick the tires on potential trades, involving their cheap youngsters in 2014-2015, when they start to make big bucks,

Old
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
The only reason I can think of the Isles aquiring Tim Thomas is because they are planing on moving a player or few in a deal that would otherwise have them under the cap....TT makes them sstay above the cap if a deal is made involving other players..

Thoughts??

or it could be we are the Islanders and do the most unexpected and outlandish things...
There are no moves for the Isle can make that would have put them under the cap besides JT, Vis or Streit for draft picks. If anything like that happens they should just lose their team.

Well maybe Visnovsky but you guys could really use him.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

It's because Snow traded that 2nd for Vis, then ignored his pleas to stay in the KHL, it's because Snow signed Carkner for his 3rd pairing and it's because Snow claimed Strait and Hickey(his #4 and #7 d-man), that Snow is not looking for defense.

When Did I post that Snow doesn't need D? Was if before or after Snow made those moves?

MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
Carkner-Visnovsky
Hickey-Finley

Old
02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Reign Nateo

The Tim Thomas move says to me that there are no more moves coming. This gets them over the cap floor for the rest of the season...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:45 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The Tim Thomas move says to me that there are no more moves coming. This gets them over the cap floor for the rest of the season...

Before acquiring TT, the NYI cap was at $49m. The NHL's floor is $44m.

Isles are currently at about $54m.

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders/

Old
02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post

Visnovsky

Cole
D'Agostini
4th
Visnovsky was traded for a 2nd round pick Cole and D'Agostini are both worth 2nd round picks. So that just makes not sense for the Blues. Personally at this point I would rather keep Cole then trade him as Visnovsky as Cole could be more of a long team solution to our LH defenseman spot. With Redden and Cole being decent we don't need Visnovsky.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:54 PM
startainfection

yes they are but i have no idea what it might be

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:56 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Before acquiring TT, the NYI cap was at $49m. The NHL's floor is $44m.

Isles are currently at about $54m.

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders/
Trade possibilities then:
  • $49M minus $4.1M (Streit cap) equals $44.9M (above floor), don't need Thomas
  • $49M minus $5.6M (Vis cap) equals $43.4M (under floor), thus need Thomas and get well over floor
  • $49M minus $9.7M ($5.6M (Vis cap) + $4.1M (Streit cap)) equals $39.3M (under floor), thus need Thomas' $5M to get just over floor by $0.3M

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Trade possibilities then:
  • $49M minus $4.1M (Streit cap) equals $44.9M (above floor), don't need Thomas
  • $49M minus $5.6M (Vis cap) equals $43.4M (under floor), thus need Thomas and get well over floor
  • $49M minus $9.7M ($5.6M (Vis cap) + $4.1M (Streit cap)) equals $39.3M (under floor), thus need Thomas' $5M to get just over floor by $0.3M
I posted in one thread that both Streit and Vis are impending ufas. My math was off.
I had their combined cap hit at $10.7.

If the isles fall out of the race by the trade deadline, I'd expect Snow to shop both.
Streit is no longer worth $4.1m. I'm not sure if he'd take a paycut or if the isles would push to keep him.