HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Gionta

Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Brian Gionta

Just wondering what the Habs could get in return for Gionta. I love him as a player and as a lead-by-actions captain, but I think his time in Montreal needs to end. I don't think he fits Therrien's system, and I think he needs a fresh start somewhere else that fits his style better. I think think he's a valuable player but he's not right for the habs IMHO.

I also wouldn't mind retaining some of his salary if the return is right.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
LetsGoDevils30

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind him back in NJ for the right price

LetsGoDevils30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoDevils30 View Post
I wouldn't mind him back in NJ for the right price
Which would be... haha.

Seriously though Gionta could be a good piece going forward. There are never any doubts about his commitment or his intensity, he just needs a new start. I would assume the Habs would want a decent pick or prospect or perhaps a bigger Dman or middle six forward back. What could NJ offer?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Why move him? Habs are doing well and he's the captain and leader. Habs aren't lacking in leadership, but I'm confused as to why we would move him. Even if he doesn't suit the system (which I somewhat disagree with), he's still the captain and you don't mess with that unless the return is to good to pass up or you need a shakeup.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Why move him? Habs are doing well and he's the captain and leader. Habs aren't lacking in leadership, but I'm confused as to why we would move him. Even if he doesn't suit the system (which I somewhat disagree with), he's still the captain and you don't mess with that unless the return is to good to pass up or you need a shakeup.
I see what you're saying, and it's not like he has been playing poorly, but he seems to be becoming very predictable in his offensive zone play. It's always the shot from the wing on the rush and he seems to be getting some tunnel vision. I'm not against holding onto him, but I think it might be a smart move to see what he can fetch. I'm not suggesting we move him for the sake of moving him, I think he could be an attractive piece for slower or younger teams who need speed on the wing and/or leadership.

Of course, if he doesn't fetch anything that helps the habs this year in a potential Playoff run then hold onto him, he can still be very useful. I just think that if he could fetch a good return, said return might fill the needs/weaknesses better than what Gionta can offer. Also my idea of retaining maybe a 1-1.5 of his cap hit could net us a big return, where some teams may like Gio, but not his price. I think he won't be re-signed when his contract is up anyway, due to young guys stepping up,etc. Might as well see if he can be moved to get something for him rather than have him walk/not resigned for nothing.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I see what you're saying, and it's not like he has been playing poorly, but he seems to be becoming very predictable in his offensive zone play. It's always the shot from the wing on the rush and he seems to be getting some tunnel vision. I'm not against holding onto him, but I think it might be a smart move to see what he can fetch. I'm not suggesting we move him for the sake of moving him, I think he could be an attractive piece for slower or younger teams who need speed on the wing and/or leadership.

Of course, if he doesn't fetch anything that helps the habs this year in a potential Playoff run then hold onto him, he can still be very useful. I just think that if he could fetch a good return, said return might fill the needs/weaknesses better than what Gionta can offer. Also my idea of retaining maybe a 1-1.5 of his cap hit could net us a big return, where some teams may like Gio, but not his price. I think he won't be re-signed when his contract is up anyway, due to young guys stepping up,etc. Might as well see if he can be moved to get something for him rather than have him walk/not resigned for nothing.
You mean shooting the puck right into the goalie's chest?

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:38 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Gionta has been using that move for years. It's his go to favorite and one of bright spots of his departure is that I suddenly see infinitely fewer short guys streaking down the wing to nail the goalie dead in the crest.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Gionta has been using that move for years. It's his go to favorite and one of bright spots of his departure is that I suddenly see infinitely fewer short guys streaking down the wing to nail the goalie dead in the crest.
The New Jersey Devils...now with 50% less Gionta!

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Yeah, obviously he needs to revamp his strategy , but I think he can in a new system, with different kinds of playmakers/linemates. Him being traded is more about him having a shakeup than montreal.

edit: Does anyone see a potential interest in Gionta from another team?

Last edited by StellerEller: 02-07-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: more to say
Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Which would be... haha.

Seriously though Gionta could be a good piece going forward. There are never any doubts about his commitment or his intensity, he just needs a new start. I would assume the Habs would want a decent pick or prospect or perhaps a bigger Dman or middle six forward back. What could NJ offer?
I've always liked Gio but it was evident in his last year as a Devil that it was time to move on

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Only way I'd move him would be for a younger replacement which would mean we'd be trading for potential. In that case I'd rather keep Gionta and keep battling for a playoff spot in this short season, he is a great leader and still good for 20+ goals a season no matter how predictable he is.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote