HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Seguin + for Ovechkin?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
Seguin + for Ovechkin?

I know the timing might not be ideal for Boston to make a trade when they are on such a hot streak... but Seguin hasnt been lighting the world on fire anyhow. The kid clearly has world class skill, but he hasnt yet stepped forward to become THE MAN, and its possible he never will.

Meanwhile Washington has proven they have chemistry problems over the past few years... and Ovechkin has emerged as a very controversial part of it. When he is playing at his best, he is one of the top 2-3 players in the world. Even when hes 'struggling' most of us would still put him in the top 50 players in the NHL.

So, talk is... Washington might be forced to consider trading him to fix their problems? If so... i am here to wonder if Boston should be the team to step up and make the deal?

The question I pose then... would a package of Seguin and spare parts be enough to land Ovechkin? {Boston would need Washington to eat around 3-4 million cap hit as part of this deal}

Looking for feedback also from Boston fans too... would you all freak if we traded the much younger Seguin for Ovechkin {remember Ovechkin is signed for like the next 8 years while Seguin is eligible for UFA before then}

final challange to anyone that wants to take it up... what would Boston need to add to make this work for Washington? Personally id only be willing to part with spare parts... no other core elements. I do think Seguin is a lock to be a steady 30 goal-70 point guy or better for the majority of his career... so Ovechkin isnt a guaranteed improvement over the long haul. in 3 years or so Seguin might be the better player even.

I do this deal to try to win now... I hope Ovechkin responds to a change of scenery and meshes with Krecji and returns to 50 goal form. if that happens, I do trade Seguin with no regrets.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
I do this deal to try to win now... I hope Ovechkin responds to a change of scenery and meshes with Krecji and returns to 50 goal form. if that happens, I do trade Seguin with no regrets.
I don't even know where to start with this. I'll just say that neither side does it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Does Washington need more centers?

Does Boston have the cap space?

I am not affiliated with either fanbase, but these seem like the only things I feel prepared to comment on.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Let me think ab- NO

We don't have the cap space, and depending on the +, it isn't worth it.

I don't know if he'll fall more or reach his standard again, but it's a risk neither Chiarelli nor I would be willing to take. He's signed at an absurd cap hit for the next 8 years. Washington would ask for too much and we wouldn't be willing at all. For Ovechkin, you're looking at a + of Rask or Hamilton. Nope.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I don't even know where to start with this. I'll just say that neither side does it.
Really? Cause I think the Caps gm would injure himself, rushing to complete the paperwork before the Boston gm came to his senses.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
StrongIslanders90

BOS would never do this

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
weaponomega

HELL NO!

Ovechkin has been declining for the last 3 years and has shown no signs of recovering his old form. Maybe a change of scenery is what he needs, but who would risk a potential 20 year old superstar to find out?

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
pspot

Seguin has more value than Ovie right now and both are trending in very different directions

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
L0STEDT*

Why would we trade the better player and then some for Ovechkin?

L0STEDT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

If Washington trades Ovechkin, they're sure as hell not eating salary to do it.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Does Washington need more centers?

Does Boston have the cap space?

I am not affiliated with either fanbase, but these seem like the only things I feel prepared to comment on.
seguin hasnt yet proven hes a center at the NHL level. he might actually be better suited to be a winger? And the deal doesnt work unless Washington eats enough salary to make it work.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:18 PM
fullblown nuckfan*

boston laughs at this......ovechkin is over half way to yashin,....sad.

fullblown nuckfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
sparxx87

Ovechkin?

You guys can have Kessel straight up for Seguin!

B's fans should be patient, some guys don't deal with change well.. Give him time to get back in NHL mode and he'll be fine.. Less space and much better players. Kid works hard, he'll get through it.

sparxx87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
TOGuy14

Taking cap into account, I'd much, much, much rather have Seguin.

Even on his second contract he will still only be making 60% of what Ovechkin makes while producing probably identical offensive numbers and much greater defensive acumen.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

as a Habs fan, I'd drive to Boston, grab Seguin and drive him to the airport...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
topcat986*

Can we Lynch the op of this thread

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Are you guys joking? Ovi is leaps and bounds worth more than seguin. Seguin is worth a lot but ovi even in this form is still a top 15 forward in the league

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

At this point I would not trade Seguin alone for Ovechkin and that contract.

Seguin is playing better than him right now, is also cheaper and younger.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Are you guys joking? Ovi is leaps and bounds worth more than seguin. Seguin is worth a lot but ovi even in this form is still a top 15 forward in the league
False.

He is not "leaps and bounds" worth more than Seguin.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
SERE 24
LGR

My instinct wonders why on earth Boston would ADD to Seguin.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

Should of traded for Seguin + Tim Thomas

Send em to D.C

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:06 PM
MattFromFranklin

The Bruins taking on a guy with an AWFUL contract, who's on the decline, and would likely b*tch and moan when Julien asks him to do what's necessary to play his defensive system? No thanks.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
I know the timing might not be ideal for Boston to make a trade when they are on such a hot streak... but Seguin hasnt been lighting the world on fire anyhow. The kid clearly has world class skill, but he hasnt yet stepped forward to become THE MAN, and its possible he never will.

Meanwhile Washington has proven they have chemistry problems over the past few years... and Ovechkin has emerged as a very controversial part of it. When he is playing at his best, he is one of the top 2-3 players in the world. Even when hes 'struggling' most of us would still put him in the top 50 players in the NHL.

So, talk is... Washington might be forced to consider trading him to fix their problems? If so... i am here to wonder if Boston should be the team to step up and make the deal?

The question I pose then... would a package of Seguin and spare parts be enough to land Ovechkin? {Boston would need Washington to eat around 3-4 million cap hit as part of this deal}

Looking for feedback also from Boston fans too... would you all freak if we traded the much younger Seguin for Ovechkin {remember Ovechkin is signed for like the next 8 years while Seguin is eligible for UFA before then}

final challange to anyone that wants to take it up... what would Boston need to add to make this work for Washington? Personally id only be willing to part with spare parts... no other core elements. I do think Seguin is a lock to be a steady 30 goal-70 point guy or better for the majority of his career... so Ovechkin isnt a guaranteed improvement over the long haul. in 3 years or so Seguin might be the better player even.

So 9 games are enough to make him the odd man out, good God...

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Chayos

I think there is the makings of a deal between these teams but Seguin is not going to be involved. The Bruin now have the room to take on Ovechkin's money have the depth at center to part with either Bergeron or Kreici and anotehr peice or 2.

Would Washington turn down Bergeron,Hamilton and a 1st for Ovechkin?

I am sure there will be a ton of posts about how good Bergeron is and how Hamilton is untouchable blah blah blah. This has the makings of the Thorton trade all over again in reverse. Ovechkin is expensive for a reason and its because he's a monster when he wants to be. The problem is the washington situation is stale for him and he needs a change.

So ask yourself a question Boston fans would ovechkin improve your chances of winning the cup? I say he gives them the impact forward they are missing and paired up with Seguin gives them a powerhouse for the next 5 years. Bergeron is going to be missed, but they have one to many centers right now anyways.

Washington fans will want more, but truth be told this is a pretty good return. They get a premier faceoff man and one of the under 21 d-men in the world. They have the money to sign Bergeron long term and add a first in a strong draft.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:57 PM
ORRMAN

I cannot believe a Bruins fan proposed this. Ridiculous for so many reasons.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote