HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

**The Official Metal Thread III**

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 03:12 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
My brother is going to this in the summer, he's lucky.

http://www.allmetalfest.com/wacken-2013/#.URDM42dZT84

Old
02-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Wacken is garbage and has been for a while. There are countless much better festivals out there. MDF, Roadburn, NWN, CiT, Obscene Extreme, Party.San, etc. Even among the mainstream Euro fests, it's probably the worst. Much rather go to Bloodstock or Hellfest at this point.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Wacken is garbage and has been for a while. There are countless much better festivals out there. MDF, Roadburn, NWN, CiT, Obscene Extreme, Party.San, etc. Even among the mainstream Euro fests, it's probably the worst. Much rather go to Bloodstock or Hellfest at this point.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Sorry to offend your tastes. Do go enjoy such awesome talent as As I Lay Dying, Devil Driver, Dezperadoz, Legion of the Damned, Rammstein, Scott Ian's spoken word set, Trivium, and Whitechapel.

Seriously, you're attempting to defend a festival that has a band that covers metal songs on mandolin. Wacken has jumped the shark.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Sorry to offend your tastes. Do go enjoy such awesome talent as As I Lay Dying, Devil Driver, Dezperadoz, Legion of the Damned, Rammstein, Scott Ian's spoken word set, Trivium, and Whitechapel.

Seriously, you're attempting to defend a festival that has a band that covers metal songs on mandolin. Wacken has jumped the shark.
I always thought Wacken was the #1 metal festival but havent really folowed whos been there in recent years. When I looked at the list of bands there I was shocked at the lack of quality. I guess the mighty have fallen, wonder what happened.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:

The only band I like in that entire set is Amorphis. Even last year's set had 4-5 bands that I'm a fan of.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Everlasting

Yes, i wouldnt mind to go at this years wacken to enjoy talent such as Alestorm, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Ugly Kid Joe, Rammstein, Power Wolf, Motorhead, Nightwish, Naglfar, Lamb Of God, Grave Digger, Fejd, Deep Purple, Arch Enemy, ALice Cooper, Amorphis and Agnostic Frost.

The fact that you hate on these bands says more about you than Wacken. Wacken has a good lineup this year.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Not liking Alestrom, Ugly Kid Joe, Rammstein, Power Wolf, etc. does say something about me. That I don't like terrible metal.

Motorhead is the only band on that list that I would like to see. Don't particularly care about Alice Cooper, and I already saw him when he opened for Iron Maiden this past summer anyway. I've seen Amorphis and Arch Enemy before as well, and neither of them play much of their good material live. No strong feelings either way about Naglfar or Agnostic Front. Wouldn't avoid them if they were on a show I was already going to, but wouldn't pay to see them specifically.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Behn Wilson

Ive never seen Deep Purple before, they would be interesting to see. But somehow all these years, I just cant bring myself to see them without Ritchie Blackmore, it seems almost sacriligeous to me. Even though it would likely still be a great show.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:07 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Honestly, Wacken hasnt had a good list of bands for several years.

I was discussing "heavy" bands with a friend at work today and we took a mission to come up with a top 10 list of heavy songs..

I'd like to have Electric Wizard and Kamni in there.. and probably eyehategod aswell.. Celtic frost to.. got any more suggestions for me?

Old
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Mort Divine

Godflesh's streetcleaner album is probably the heaviest album ever

Old
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

Lately they have been brutal, agreed. BUT they did have Haggard in 2007 and that automatically makes that festival amazing.

Speaking of live, I have seen hella a lot of bands live and this is probably the best I have ever seen.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Ozz

Old
02-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Yes, i wouldnt mind to go at this years wacken to enjoy talent such as Alestorm, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Ugly Kid Joe, Rammstein, Power Wolf, Motorhead, Nightwish, Naglfar, Lamb Of God, Grave Digger, Fejd, Deep Purple, Arch Enemy, ALice Cooper, Amorphis and Agnostic Frost.

The fact that you hate on these bands says more about you than Wacken. Wacken has a good lineup this year.
That lineup does suck though. I respect Motorhead, DP, and Alice Cooper, Nightwish is okay, and Rammstein has a few ok, albeit pop-y songs, but that lineup is still brutally bad. Even Amorphis isn't as good as they once where. (they kinda "softened" their music a la Katatonia)

Old
02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Bobo420

As much as the lineup for Wacken doesn't look great, it'd probably be worth going for the atmosphere alone, seems like a good time.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

My brother is actually learning German before he goes there.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
As much as the lineup for Wacken doesn't look great, it'd probably be worth going for the atmosphere alone, seems like a good time.
True, to a degree. If I'm going to pay a lot of money to fly across the world, I would like to see some acts that I actually like. You can easily just go another year when the set list is better.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
That lineup does suck though. I respect Motorhead, DP, and Alice Cooper, Nightwish is okay, and Rammstein has a few ok, albeit pop-y songs, but that lineup is still brutally bad. Even Amorphis isn't as good as they once where. (they kinda "softened" their music a la Katatonia)
Bad? I strongly disagree. Compared to other years, sure, it might not be great, but still, that is a good lineup. There are many great bands in it.

This is a bad lineup: http://www.metaltown.se/line-up/ Even if it has some good bands, but wacken have many good bands, not my favourite bands, but bands i enjoy

Old
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo420 View Post
While the scale of Wacken is bigger than any other festival, it's not the only place to get that "atmosphere." There are multiple other gigantic, outdoor Euro fests (Bloodstock, Download, Hellfest, Party.san, Obscene Extreme, etc.) that will offer a very similar environment. And the urban festivals (MDF, CiT, NWN, Roadburn, Martyrdoom, etc) are a whole different way to have amazing fun with thousands of metalheads.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Bobo420

Quote:

This is a bad lineup: http://www.metaltown.se/line-up/ Even if it has some good bands, but wacken have many good bands, not my favourite bands, but bands i enjoy
Looks like a better lineup then Wacken to me.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Epoch

New Intronaut song

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
vippe

Quote:
Bad? I strongly disagree. Compared to other years, sure, it might not be great, but still, that is a good lineup. There are many great bands in it.

Honestly, even if Metaltown hasnt released many bands yet It's still better than the Wacken lineup imo.

I'd like to see DEP, The Sword, BTBAM, Katatonia compared to Agnostic Front and Benighted on Wacken..

Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Honestly, even if Metaltown hasnt released many bands yet It's still better than the Wacken lineup imo.

I'd like to see DEP, The Sword, BTBAM, Katatonia compared to Agnostic Front and Benighted on Wacken..
Too little melodies in metaltown

Sweden rock has so far the best lineup i have seen this year. http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?pg=5

Old
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Hippasus

This was a good lineup here in Calgary (Noctis Festival) last year:

The Contortionist
Blood Ceremony
Speedwolf
Epi-Demic
Hoopsnake
Deviant Aerials
Pig Destroyer
Manilla Road
Midnight
Psychostick
Kataplexis
Archspire
Phantom Limb
Anciients
Venom
Agalloch
Grand Magus
Nunslaughter
Black Witchery
Excrementory Grind****ers
The Order of Chaos
Scythia

If there's another one, I read Bolt Thrower could be a possibility to headline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Divine View Post
Godflesh's streetcleaner album is probably the heaviest album ever
It's up there for industrial / industrial metal, but I think there's a lot of stuff like brutal death metal and even some doom that's heavier. I'd probably vote for someone like Mortician, Embalmer, Incantation, Thergothon, Dismember, Vile, Nile . . .

Old
02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
vippe

Quote:
Too little melodies in metaltown

Sweden rock has so far the best lineup i have seen this year. http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?pg=5
Safe to say we dont enjoy the same sort of music I dont enjoy the SRF at all either.. There's a few more bands than at Wacken but still not enough goodness for me.

Closed Thread