HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Roberto Luongo: Not taking a unilateral 1 year vacation from hockey. That's got to help his value.

Previous thread

Old
02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Really? The reason it pretty obvious to me, and most others I would assume.

What reasons would those be? That he lost the net in the LA series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I have been through about 8 makeovers of the Vancouver Canucks in my 35 year tenure of being a fan since I was 11.

The Sedins are part of the Naslund , then Luongo version of the Canucks.

Kesler and Edler are part of the Sedin and eventually Kesler version of the Canucks.

Schneider would be part of that core. However, I find it hard to believe the canucks can honestly compete as a real contender without the Sedins, unless something miraculous happens with Schroeder and Kassian.

So trade Schneider for a higher return. We also have Eddie Lack waiting in the wings to boot.

Yeah, I can see how one would think that the competitive window lives and dies with the Sedins. I'm not of that group, but a lot of people have mentioned that. I just don't believe it to be as simple

NFITO mentioned some time ago that competitiveness is tied to management (and by way of them, ownership). If your management is strong, your window will be there. Canucks fans tend to the team as a function of the players because the management hasn't been stellar. However, it really does come down to the person doing the drafting, trades and signing the FAs. Gillis is that important to the process. So while you may see the Sedins as the ticket, I see it as being Gillis. As long as he's here, we're good.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
NFITO mentioned some time ago that competitiveness is tied to management (and by way of them, ownership). If your management is strong, your window will be there. Canucks fans tend to the team as a function of the players because the management hasn't been stellar. However, it really does come down to the person doing the drafting, trades and signing the FAs. Gillis is that important to the process. So while you may see the Sedins as the ticket, I see it as being Gillis. As long as he's here, we're good.
Agreed, Gillis has been money on FA signings so far, which help the team rebuild on the fly (Tanev, Lack) and getting discounts on (re-)signings (Edler, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis, Garrison, etc.). I'm pretty optimistic on how Gillis' drafting comes into play, Hodgson was his first and he's turning into a great player; I think Jensen and Gaunce have higher potential than Schroeder.
Gillis has done a great job keeping the core at a discount and bringing in new players. His trade history has been pretty good too, I only really dislike the Bernier trade but the Ehrhoff trade makes up for it.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
Agreed, Gillis has been money on FA signings so far, which help the team rebuild on the fly (Tanev, Lack) and getting discounts on (re-)signings (Edler, Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis, Garrison, etc.). I'm pretty optimistic on how Gillis' drafting comes into play, Hodgson was his first and he's turning into a great player; I think Jensen and Gaunce have higher potential than Schroeder.
Gillis has done a great job keeping the core at a discount and bringing in new players. His trade history has been pretty good too, I only really dislike the Bernier trade but the Ehrhoff trade makes up for it.
I'm president of the Mike Gillis fan club but the Ballard trade was bad. The move, at the time, was justifiable because there was no guarantee of getting Hamhuis. Had Gillis known he was going to get him, he wouldn't have made that trade. It was basically a fall back plan.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I'm president of the Mike Gillis fan club but the Ballard trade was bad. The move, at the time, was justifiable because there was no guarantee of getting Hamhuis. Had Gillis known he was going to get him, he wouldn't have made that trade. It was basically a fall back plan.
Yeah for sure, and he's looking much better this year with a bigger role on the team so that trade could look decent in hindsight. I think we benefit more from the Booth trade too, shedding Sturm's contract and an ageing, UFA-pending Samuelsson. I think Booth can put up 25+ goals in a full, healthy season.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
RECsGuy*

What a collosal mess Washington has in goal.

If GMGM doesn't trade for Luongo, he'll be fired.

And do I put the Isles back on the radar? Because apparently Nabokov's age has finally hit him.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
What a collosal mess Washington has in goal.

If GMGM doesn't trade for Luongo, he'll be fired.

And do I put the Isles back on the radar? Because apparently Nabokov's age has finally hit him.
Even though it probably doesn't matter, I couldn't imagine the Islanders trading for Luongo right after trading for Thomas. Imagine them on the same team.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:03 PM
rune74

Washington could definitely use Lu.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Carlson was one of the 8 players that Gillis was interested in when they were shopping Hodgson last year, so that's gotta be something that would interest him, also supposedly he wanted to get Brouwer as an FA at one point after he won the cup with the Hawks in 2010. Also supposedly was interested in Thomas Wilson in last year's draft

Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Washington could definitely use Lu.
Washington has so many more problems than just goaltending. Their winger depth is abysmal, half of their D have been garbage, centre depth is fairly weak too. Lu would mask some of that, but they wouldn't turn it around with prime Hasek in net imo.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Washington has so many more problems than just goaltending. Their winger depth is abysmal, half of their D have been garbage, centre depth is fairly weak too. Lu would mask some of that, but they wouldn't turn it around with prime Hasek in net imo.
They have the talent, they just need a major shake-up to turn things around. Always best to start from the net out anyways.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:20 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
They have the talent, they just need a major shake-up to turn things around. Always best to start from the net out anyways.
They need a new GM and coach before a goalie, bet you Ted L. sees that too.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Caps have the talent to contend, they need a true #1 goalie.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

So uh the canucks are about to go 6-2-2 without kesler and booth. Our goaltending is carrying our team so hard right now, it's not even funny.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
So uh the canucks are about to go 6-2-2 without kesler and booth. Our goaltending is carrying our team so hard right now, it's not even funny.
Weak division and we dive a lot.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Weak division and we dive a lot.
Yup, classless team actually.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The Caps really need to acquire one of Vancouver's goalies before it's too late to save their season.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

Yeah, I can see how one would think that the competitive window lives and dies with the Sedins. I'm not of that group, but a lot of people have mentioned that. I just don't believe it to be as simple

I appreciate your reply. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders which is refreshing.

I see the canucks 'being a good team' .........like they were from 2005-2008 ......

but NOT the same as a 'contender' that they were from 2003 and 2004. When Gillis came in 2008 , got Mats Sundin on board, it changed the twins and ryan kesler from guys who were TRYING to be good , to guys who knew they were good.

The 2008-2010 teams were VERY good, but not full blown contenders. The 2010 to 2014 canucks are full blown contenders . As in nobody would be surprised to see the Canucks win the cup.

As for asset managment , coaching etc, yes all that matters but it doesnt mean anyone other than Detroit was an ACTUAL real contender every year . The Flyers aint and neither are the Devils. The way it works on paper is not the way it pans out in real life.

I can tell you what I have seen since the 1970s. Its not the same anymore. Salary cap and CBA rules allowing for higher salaries and freer movement make it virtually impossible for anyone to build a dynasty.

Penguins have Crosby and Malkin , and thats about as close as you are going to get. Toews and Kane are another dynamic duo that makes the hawks contend , but they still need Keith or it aint happening either.

Canucks will have Kesler. Thats it for exceptional players. As in truly exceptional. Maybe Edler and the rest are GOOD players like Hamhuis and Burrows Bieksa Schneider etc.......

Again we will be back to having a team good enough to make the second round and thats it unless it gets very lucky.

We also happen to have Eddie Lack. This is a major consideration. How good is Lack?
If he is any good at all at the NHL level, then selling Schneider for a better package is a win win because if we are still honestly contending, then Lack just takes Schneiders place.

We have seen the reaction to Luongo's contract. Nothing he does now changes this in terms of value. It would have already happened. Luongo is worth way more to us than he is in trade to another team. Its the contract and new cap hit rules.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:53 PM
luongo321

Quote:
They don't even let us have schools.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Sedins are dirty cheapshotters

Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I appreciate your reply. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders which is refreshing.

I see the canucks 'being a good team' .........like they were from 2005-2008 ......

but NOT the same as a 'contender' that they were from 2003 and 2004. When Gillis came in 2008 , got Mats Sundin on board, it changed the twins and ryan kesler from guys who were TRYING to be good , to guys who knew they were good.

The 2008-2010 teams were VERY good, but not full blown contenders. The 2010 to 2014 canucks are full blown contenders . As in nobody would be surprised to see the Canucks win the cup.

As for asset managment , coaching etc, yes all that matters but it doesnt mean anyone other than Detroit was an ACTUAL real contender every year . The Flyers aint and neither are the Devils. The way it works on paper is not the way it pans out in real life.

I can tell you what I have seen since the 1970s. Its not the same anymore. Salary cap and CBA rules allowing for higher salaries and freer movement make it virtually impossible for anyone to build a dynasty.

Penguins have Crosby and Malkin , and thats about as close as you are going to get. Toews and Kane are another dynamic duo that makes the hawks contend , but they still need Keith or it aint happening either.

Canucks will have Kesler. Thats it for exceptional players. As in truly exceptional. Maybe Edler and the rest are GOOD players like Hamhuis and Burrows Bieksa Schneider etc.......

Again we will be back to having a team good enough to make the second round and thats it unless it gets very lucky.

We also happen to have Eddie Lack. This is a major consideration. How good is Lack?
If he is any good at all at the NHL level, then selling Schneider for a better package is a win win because if we are still honestly contending, then Lack just takes Schneiders place.

We have seen the reaction to Luongo's contract. Nothing he does now changes this in terms of value. It would have already happened. Luongo is worth way more to us than he is in trade to another team. Its the contract and new cap hit rules.
The market is determined by supply and demand. On the supply side as long as luo capable of supplying X level of goaltending and other options of supplying are limited its just a matter the demand being there.

That demand can and does change. Teams dont to as well as they should, tender injuries etc.

So to say the market wont change is incorrect.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:55 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Our D should keep us a perennial contender for awhile.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
What reasons would those be? That he lost the net in the LA series?

Yup. And seeing guys like Kassian and Scheoder playing as they have is encouraging.

MGs smart enough it seems to realize the make up and play style needs to be fluid to stay competitive.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Caps really need to acquire one of Vancouver's goalies before it's too late to save their season.
They could probably use a defenseman and at least one, maybe two of their wingers too...

Doesn't mean Vancouver's interested in messing with what they have going on right now though.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Steve Bennett*

Too bad about Boston's fascistic goalie being traded to the Isle because I think otherwise this would have happened:

to nyi luongo, kesler, 6th rd pick

to VANCOUVER: Tavares, Ullstrom, 3rd pick

Closed Thread