HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue out of Shanahan sweepstakes

Old
07-05-2006, 09:36 AM
x-bob

vCash: 500
LA enters the sweepstakes for Shanahan

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=267219

They offered him 1 year - 4 M

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
Dandenault sure doesn't look like an overpayment anymore. In fact the defence as a whole is signed for a low amount this year considering the amount of money that is tossed around elsewhere. Signing Shanahan to a contract longer than 1 year does have an unnecessary risk attached to it because he is over 35 years old. The whole contract will count against the Habs' cap for its entire duration regardless of whether Shanahan plays the subsequent years. This risk is NOT present in the Kovalev contract because Kovalev was not 35 years of age or older when he signed the contract. Ask New Jersey fans about Malakhov and Mogilny if you can't get a handle on this. They'll tell you how it's working out for them this year.
You're comparing two guys who have a history of being injured (Mogilny's hip and Malakhov's knee). Those guys don't play full seasons, and haven't for years.

Shanahan rarely misses games. You can't compare him to those guys, he's much more durable. At 37, Shanny is more durable than most in their late 20's. What you don't seem to grasp here is that he's an exception. The risk of signing Shanny at 37 is the same as signing Koivu at 30 (actually there's probably less risk of signing Shanny).

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Teams wont do this...dont make sense. You think Boston could'nt/would'nt do the same thing to Montreal the next time a key RFA was available? Damn straight they would. The Habs GM would piss off alot of GM's doing that **** and that would not be good for him.
Is there any precedent for GMs retaliating against another GM for signing an RFA to an offer sheet?

Also if the Habs signed Bergeron do a ridiculous deal, which would be a bad idea, i'm sure the Bruins would still match. And if they didn't and felt the need to retaliate I would say go right ahead. There isn't an RFA or potential RFA on the Habs that I wouldn't swap 1 for 1 with Bergeron even with the potential draft pick difference factored in.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:43 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
You're comparing two guys who have a history of being injured (Mogilny's hip and Malakhov's knee). Those guys don't play full seasons, and haven't for years.

Shanahan rarely misses games. You can't compare him to those guys, he's much more durable. At 37, Shanny is more durable than most in their late 20's. What you don't seem to grasp here is that he's an exception. The risk of signing Shanny at 37 is the same as signing Koivu at 30 (actually there's probably less risk of signing Shanny).
The risk is in the potential for dead cap space if something happens with Shanahan. This risk is not present with Koivu, Kovalev or anyone else on the team for that matter. Teams are taking a chance when they sign a player 35 years of age or older to a multi-year contract.

Old
07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
The risk is in the potential for dead cap space if something happens with Shanahan. This risk is not present with Koivu, Kovalev or anyone else on the team for that matter. Teams are taking a chance when they sign a player 35 years of age or older to a multi-year contract.
So then tell me who you'd rather fill the LW spot that's been open for about 5 years.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
So then tell me who you'd rather fill the LW spot that's been open for about 5 years.
I'd be fine with Shanahan on a 1-year deal. I'm just balking at offering him a multi-year deal because I think it's an unnecessary risk.

Old
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
x-bob

Quote:
I'd be fine with Shanahan on a 1-year deal. I'm just balking at offering him a multi-year deal because I think it's an unnecessary risk.
I agree but I wouldn't mind a 2 year deal too. MAybe an option year or something like that.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote