HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - Oates is hilarious

Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
+Engelland and Bortuzzo taking it to Ovechkin. Really, just a plus for those two guys in general.

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 02-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I want to give props to Fleury, but I'm also not blown away by tonight. He did what he had to. I'm happy with his performance, but the defense made it what it was.
It's been a long time since I saw all five Penguins collapsing around the house like that to protect him.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DoktorZaius

Not that Martin is a PP quarterback by any means, but he did a great job of keeping the puck where it needed to be -- namely, on Sid or Geno's stick -- and good things happened.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
Not really - IMO that showed Oates that Neuvirth is better right now, I mean Holtby looked brutal in both games. You can not wish for more if you want to get chances to play.
You said it yourself, Holtby wasn't exactly solid on Sunday, so why the rush to put him in? I just don't see the logic behind it.

Just saying, if I were in Neuvirth's shoes, I'd be thinking along the lines of: "Ok, Oates, you yank me after two goals, that weren't even that weak in favor of a guy who totally crapped the bed the other night?"

Highrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
WarriorScholar

Caps need semin

WarriorScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
nhindian

Neal on postgame: "We got some goals on the pee pee"

hehe 6 inchers

and another "Our pee pee was good tonight"

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
End of Line
Human After All

+Sid is 2nd in the league in scoring

+Malkin is 6th

+Kuntiz is 8th

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
bradshaw06

+Crosby and Malkin on opposite walls on the pp. Worked very well.

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

A question of utilizing momentum against a team that lost its heart in the second period after we came back on top of them. Done with after 40. Poor first period by the Pens. Containment and energy saving in the third.

This game was totally won by the PP for once, and as much as we need Letang 5 on 5, this game gave the indication that Letang is NOT going to be missed by the PP. Something that might surprise every broadcaster talking about his importance as the QB there, but as many of us know, that is utterly wrong. Rather he has been the Black Hole QB, and there was all sorts of difference in having Martin simply hold the line, make simple passes quickly and let our talent run the show. I hope there's a lesson learned there, Dan.... Should be said that the Caps PK did not look good at all, so I suppose one should be hesitant making too big a meal of it.

+ Loved how Bortuzzo couldn't care less that he is playing against Ovechkin. Trash talk him, hit him... give the fans what they want... and play some real quality hockey also.

+ Didn't really notice Reese at all. That's likely a good sign with him.

- Malkin's line 5 on 5. You can choose to be overjoyed that Malkin and Neal did great work on the PP, or that Malkin winning his draws today contributed to his line never suffering defensively..... but as much as Boychuck is an energy player and could come good for this team... IT IS NOT GOING TO BE ON THIS LINE! I don't have the answer to what the lines should be, but the team would right now be better with Jeffrey in Boychuck's spot. Of that I have zero doubt.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
+Sid is 2nd in the league in scoring

+Malkin is 6th

+Kuntiz is 8th
Sid and Geno were still getting points after our 3 - 3 start, but Koon has come from nowhere

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Jacob

Did anyone *not* predict that Oates would be a terrible fit as a coach for the Caps?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
GrouperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Seems to validate those who have suggested that Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis would be the ideal playoff checking line.
Please god!

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Sid and Geno were still getting points after our 3 - 3 start, but Koon has come from nowhere
Kunitz has always been a good player. Far from a third wheel like many portray him as. He's a legit top six winger in his own right.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
SidTheKid8787

Yea, i echo the +'s for Bortuzzo and Engeland.
Throwing in Glass as well.

The Pens haven't had this much grit in awhile.

Really surprising how no Cap stood up for Ovie during this game. I guess looking at their lineup, they don't have many guys who would do such a thing but still.

The Boychuk experiment is still a go for me. Responsible defensively, had some nice chemistry and got some chances. He seems to always make the smart play with the puck. He's still the best option we have to fill the top 6 role right now for me.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
mpp9

Quote:
- Malkin's line 5 on 5. You can choose to be overjoyed that Malkin and Neal did great work on the PP, or that Malkin winning his draws today contributed to his line never suffering defensively..... but as much as Boychuck is an energy player and could come good for this team... IT IS NOT GOING TO BE ON THIS LINE! I don't have the answer to what the lines should be, but the team would right now be better with Jeffrey in Boychuck's spot. Of that I have zero doubt.
I'd rather Boychuk just stay in that spot until they make a trade. Jeffrey isn't that much of an upgrade to have the carousel start again.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Kunitz has always been a good player. Far from a third wheel like many portray him as. He's a legit top six winger in his own right.
No doubt he is but he still had a horrible start and was missing in action

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
turd

Quote:
It's tough to tell, because the Capitals were a collection of skating cluster*****, but I thought Martin lent a level of patience and stability at the point that Letang hasn't.

Kudos by the way to Geno for sucking one up for the team-- again-- and playing of position.
Very hard to do with Kunitz playing well, but I wouldn't be opposed to having Letang-Martin at the points on the PP, with Malkin-Sid-Neal down low. Martin brings a very calming presence on the backend, and they do have a tendency to get a little sloppy and let up odd-man rushes on the PP.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
A question of utilizing momentum against a team that lost its heart in the second period after we came back on top of them. Done with after 40. Poor first period by the Pens. Containment and energy saving in the third.

This game was totally won by the PP for once, and as much as we need Letang 5 on 5, this game gave the indication that Letang is NOT going to be missed by the PP. Something that might surprise every broadcaster talking about his importance as the QB there, but as many of us know, that is utterly wrong. Rather he has been the Black Hole QB, and there was all sorts of difference in having Martin simply hold the line, make simple passes quickly and let our talent run the show. I hope there's a lesson learned there, Dan.... Should be said that the Caps PK did not look good at all, so I suppose one should be hesitant making too big a meal of it.

+ Loved how Bortuzzo couldn't care less that he is playing against Ovechkin. Trash talk him, hit him... give the fans what they want... and play some real quality hockey also.

+ Didn't really notice Reese at all. That's likely a good sign with him.

TR, two things:

1. Agree completely about the PP. I wonder if Bylsma will.

2. Agree completely about Malkin's line 5 on 5. Look, the problem is that the ideal person for that LW spot is a Kunitz, a guy who can lead the dirty work efforts, win board battles, support, play defense, and chip in offensively. Malkin's having to lead his line's dirty work efforts. Neal is spending too little time seeking soft spots to snipe because there's no sustained pressure. As I wrote in another thread: Malone-Malkin-Sykora and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal: Geno was the playmaker. The RW was the finisher. And the LW was the bigger dirty work guy who let Malkin and the RW play to their strengths instead of away from them.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
he's right between being a 3rd wheel and a legitimate number 2 guy. He just doesn't have the consistency to be a true threat like Neal. Two guys like him would work imo, but a guy like him and a guy worse than him isn't what you really want long term.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Very hard to do with Kunitz playing well, but I wouldn't be opposed to having Letang-Martin at the points on the PP, with Malkin-Sid-Neal down low. Martin brings a very calming presence on the backend, and they do have a tendency to get a little sloppy and let up odd-man rushes on the PP.
I wouldn't be opposed to having Letang on the 2nd PP.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd rather Boychuk just stay in that spot until they make a trade. Jeffrey isn't that much of an upgrade to have the carousel start again.
No carousel there. The line hasn't scored 5 on 5 in any of Boychuk's games with the Pens, and I hate the signal that our own products get scratched even after playing as well as Jeffrey did there while a waiver pickup gets all the tickets despite being fundamentally nothing like what is needed for the line.

Not faulting Boychuck's effort or anything, but it just... doesn't... work.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
turd

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to having Letang on the 2nd PP.
Nor would I, although that'd likely never happen. He roves around a little too much for my liking, and although he's gotta couple goals, he really struggles at times to get his shots to the net. With all the talent at their disposal, it's tough to say who should be taken off in favor of Martin (probably no one, at the end of the day), but Martin does bring an intriguing, fresh talent to the mix.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
MtlPenFan

I don't see how Jeffrey is a better option than Boychuk on Geno's line.

Seems to me Boychuk has as much skill and hockey sense, with the added bonus of being much quicker.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I don't see how Jeffrey is a better option than Boychuk on Geno's line.

Seems to me Boychuk has as much skill and hockey sense, with the added bonus of being much quicker.
So did Steve Sullivan. Problem is a smallish guy like that forces Geno and Neal to play away from and not to their strengths.

That's not to say that Jeffrey IS a better option. More to say that neither is what you need there.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM

A lot of the good stuff has been covered already.

+ Loving the PP. They made the goalie go side to side. You could see that the goalies had a hard time setting up for the shots because he had to move around so much. Also while he didn't score the Sid backdoor pass to Martin was a bute. While the actual play was fun to see, it was the lure of the man in the box that was the key. Full credit to the coaches on this.

+ Great protection around MAF. Thats the way things are supposed to be in the defensive zone. The goalie and defense playing off of each other to make things pretty easy.

- Sid takes a cheapshot... again. I really hate seeing this game after game. You can really see teams going after him and he's taking more garbage than he should.

- The Pens got a little sloppy in the third but I was happy to see them playing with some snarl.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote