HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Avalanche (Ryan O'Reilly)

Old
02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
lol what? Colorado has 0 goals from our defense this year so far. I'd say he's exactly what we need and in a big way.
Well. Apparently I'm wrong then haha. Not an Avs fan, kinda thought they were looking for a bigger, shut down guy to pair with EJ.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Well. Apparently I'm wrong then haha. Not an Avs fan, kinda thought they were looking for a bigger, shut down guy to pair with EJ.
Pretty much anything would be an upgrade over what he's had to play with this year.

I think Boyle would be of interest to the Avs, especially if O'Reilly is headed out, but Bickel doesn't serve much purpose.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:13 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
lol ah assumed you were an avs fan, my bad. Im pretty sure the majority of us would be happy with any talent aside from EJ on the back end so far our defensive core looks like this.

EJ-x
x-x
x-x

x= bottom pairing plug

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Crisp Breakout

Before this goes south, I think a trade around ROR for MDZ would be a pretty decent move for the Avs. It's the other pieces that have me dragging my feet.

What I don't understand is why the Rangers would want ROR. I mean I think it's clear he's a better center than Stepan, but is he enough of an upgrade to lose MDZ?

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
I'd like to obtain MDZ for ROR, but I don't want Bickel involved, is this possible? We have soooooo many bottom pairing Dmen as is

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Before this goes south, I think a trade around ROR for MDZ would be a pretty decent move for the Avs. It's the other pieces that have me dragging my feet.

What I don't understand is why the Rangers would want ROR. I mean I think it's clear he's a better center than Stepan, but is he enough of an upgrade to lose MDZ?
Well he certainly is 6 points better than him

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
No interest in Del Zotto. I think Avs fans are going by his stats but I think he'd have more trouble in Colorado than he does in New York...(you know, playing for a team that has a very bad defensive corps & NO systems as opposed to one that does with a great D)

I'd want Marc Staal instead. Probably a deal breaker but I know that's who I'd be asking for.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I'd take your bait, but if you're interested in the justification outside of offense, go read any of the six threads on the main board.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
No interest in Del Zotto. I think Avs fans are going by his stats but I think he'd have more trouble in Colorado than he does in New York...(you know, playing for a team that has a very bad defensive corps & NO systems as opposed to one that does with a great D)

I'd want Marc Staal instead. Probably a deal breaker but I know that's who I'd be asking for.
I disagree. I want someone who can move the damn puck.

Old
smoneil

Quote:

O'Reilly put up four more points last season. Stepan has shown that he can put up that kind of production for two years in a row. To me, demonstrated consistency is more important than four points. The Rangers wouldn't trade either Del Zotto OR Stepan straight up for O'Reilly.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
27 Selke votes better
8.3% faceoff percentage better
Smoother with the ladies.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
O'Reilly put up six more points last season. Stepan has shown that he can put up that kind of production for two years in a row. To me, demonstrated consistency is more important than six points. The Rangers wouldn't trade either Del Zotto OR Stepan straight up for O'Reilly.
No problem....keep those guys by all means.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Kershaw

MDZ >> ROR, Boyle > Barrie, Anything >>> Bickel.

Not sure why the Rangers do this.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
No problem....keep those guys by all means.
damn, too bad for us then

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
O'Reilly put up six more points last season. Stepan has shown that he can put up that kind of production for two years in a row. To me, demonstrated consistency is more important than six points. The Rangers wouldn't trade either Del Zotto OR Stepan straight up for O'Reilly.
To me, if you've watched both players play even a handful of times, there's not much question, regardless of what the stat sheet shows...

But what a surprise this thread is headed south.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
27 Selke votes better
8.3% faceoff percentage better
Smoother with the ladies.
MDZ was 12th in Norris voting.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
damn, too bad for us then
Yeah look at all these Avs fans making these RoR proposals

Somebody ELSE mentioned it as well, looks like you missed it.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
MDZ was 12th in Norris voting.
And Stepan vicariously benefits?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I think the value is solid, but I'm really attached to MDZ these days.

His chippy attitude fits the team perfectly, he's matured so much and worked so hard on his game the last two offseasons, and losing him would murder our transition game.

Gonna have to pass.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
16 To Stanley*

We shouldn't trade DZ. Our D becomes weak with him gone. He's going to be very good and is only 22.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Drij

Michael Del Zotto is alright, but why are we trading Sami Aittokallio?

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
smoneil

Quote:
To me, if you've watched both players play even a handful of times, there's not much question, regardless of what the stat sheet shows...

But what a surprise this thread is headed south.
You pull the "if you've watched them play" card, and then complain about the southward direction of the thread? I will openly admit. I haven't watched O'Reilly play a single game this season. That's the problem.

As for the direction of the thread--I offered a post carefully and politely explaining why A- the Rangers are bad trade partners and B- the Avs won't get what they expect IF they decide to trade O'Reilly. None of you wanted to talk about that. You'd rather speculate on which of the Rangers top-4 d-men you'd rather have, while ignoring the obvious fact that NONE of them would be available for a contract hold-out with one good season under his belt.

And for the record, I have seen both players play many times. I loved O'Reilly's game last year. That said, I loved Petr Prucha's game in 05-06. There's a reason the bigger contracts go to the players with a demonstrated track record of consistency--you know what you'll be paying for. O'Reilly hasn't shown that yet, and Avs fans need to take that into account in their expectations.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
You pull the "if you've watched them play" card, and then complain about the southward direction of the thread? I will openly admit. I haven't watched O'Reilly play a single game this season. That's the problem.

As for the direction of the thread--I offered a post carefully and politely explaining why A- the Rangers are bad trade partners and B- the Avs won't get what they expect IF they decide to trade O'Reilly. None of you wanted to talk about that. You'd rather speculate on which of the Rangers top-4 d-men you'd rather have, while ignoring the obvious fact that NONE of them would be available for a contract hold-out with one good season under his belt.

And for the record, I have seen both players play many times. I loved O'Reilly's game last year. That said, I loved Petr Prucha's game in 05-06. There's a reason the bigger contracts go to the players with a demonstrated track record of consistency--you know what you'll be paying for. O'Reilly hasn't shown that yet, and Avs fans need to take that into account in their expectations.
I pull the "if you've watched them play" card because these consistency/one good year comments inevitably come. If you really bothered to watch him, it would have been evident that he was going to score as a top-6 forward from the time he set foot on the ice as an 18 year old. He looked like a ten year veteran. The only thing surprising is how quickly his offense came out. Though, this again was very predictable if you had watched during the Avs abysmal stretch before drafting Landeskog. Stepan has demonstrated he can put those point totals, true. But he has also consistently demonstrated that he doesn't match up to O'Reilly on the other side of the puck.

I agree they are bad trading partners; in fact, I allude to that in the post that you initially quoted. As for the not getting what we expected... I don't think a single Avalanche fan would be willing to trade ROR for MDZ if the contract dispute did not exist.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quick pass. I wouldn't move MDZ for ROR straight up. Not that ROR is a bad player, but MDZ is just not something the Rangers can afford to give up. He's developed into a very solid two-way player and plays the PK constantly (not like he was when he was a 1st/2nd year player -- he developed his defense exponentially since then).

I would like ROR on this team, but not at the expense of our only true offensive d-man.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote