HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Didn't think so,! Lol
your "first hand knowledge" comes from playing Junior B...

I wont be that guy as I always been a ****** hockey player, but I'm pretty sure there's a few here who play/ed at such a high level.

And even though I dont have that "first hand knowledge", I can tell you now what they'll say : make you feel more secure or safe and all...

but NONE will tell you it help(ed) them win games like most of you seems to think.

Last edited by overlords: 02-07-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I jumped in simply cause someone asked for proof that fighters help the game and was answering yes I've been out there at a high level and they DO make a difference. Nothing more till some douch had to get smart
Okay so to you, a league were people are paid MILLIONS to play hockey is the same as a league with kids ?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Okay so to you, a league were people are paid MILLIONS to play hockey is the same as a league with kids ?
Not at all what I'm saying is hockey is hockey no matter who is playing it. One you hit junior and play by the full rules it does not change much.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I agree. They do not win games and I know junior B isn't the best experience. I was mainly aining that at the one douch lol. But when your good players feel safe they play with more confidence so it does help the team in one sense, but your right the heavyweight will most likely not help personally on the scoresheet.
not only on the scoresheet, but his presence will have a positive effect on the team on rare occasions.

I'm pretty sure kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher feels a little safer playing with Prust, but thing is, Prust is no goon, he can play the game (good enough to be a regular in the line up), he can contribute offensively a little, plays well defensively, play a grinding game well enough... all those things goons can't do.

And if they can't do those things well, they're not bringing enough to warrant using a roster spot on them.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
not only on the scoresheet, but his presence will have a positive effect on the team on rare occasions.

I'm pretty sure kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher feels a little safer playing with Prust, but thing is, Prust is no goon, he can play the game (good enough to be a regular in the line up), he can contribute offensively a little, plays well defensively, play a grinding game well enough... all those things goons can't do.

And if they can't do those things well, they're not bringing enough to warrant using a roster spot on them.
That's also a good point and your right. Maybe e should find a good size 4th liner who can play THEN teach him to fight?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
That's also a good point and your right. Maybe e should find a good size 4th liner who can play THEN teach him to fight?
meh, I dont think you can really do that, sure you can teach one to fight, but if he never did it before chances are that he wont become a good fighter if he's startig it at 23/24 years old. Not good enough to face those who have been doing this for a while, that's for sure.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
meh, I dont think you can really do that, sure you can teach one to fight, but if he never did it before chances are that he wont become a good fighter if he's startig it at 23/24 years old. Not good enough to face those who have been doing this for a while, that's for sure.
What about jackman in calgary? Whathis story? I dony much attention to any teams other then I habs

Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I don't think so, what teams really need are tough players not necessarily tough guys, if that makes any sense

The habs have always been about speed and smart quick neutral zone transition, plugging in a heavyweight isn't necessary IMO

Look at it this way, the habs just barely lost to one of the toughest teams in the NHL last night. But why? Because they don't have a heavyweight? Not at all. They outhit Boston and there wasn't a single fight

Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I don't think so, what teams really need are tough players not necessarily tough guys, if that makes any sense

The habs have always been about speed and smart quick neutral zone transition, plugging in a heavyweight isn't necessary IMO

Look at it this way, the habs just barely lost to one of the toughest teams in the NHL last night. But why? Because they don't have a heavyweight? Not at all. They outhit Boston and there wasn't a single fight
pretty much this, while I get that some wants the Habs to be tougher, a goon isnt the way to go...

if anything, those advocating for an enforcer should look at the B line up a little... what makes them "tougher" IMO is that most of those who are qualified as tough players also happen to play on top 6 (Lucic) or the first pairing D (Chara)... there's a HUGE difference between those guys and a goon playing on the 4th line for about 5 minutes a game.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
What about jackman in calgary? Whathis story? I dony much attention to any teams other then I habs
Tim Jackman needed 18 stitches after fighting Chicago's Brandon Bollig on Saturday.It was the Calgary Flames' first fight of the season. "I was doing it to get the guys excited, to get the energy up and the momentum on our side," Jackman said. "Obviously, we hadnít had a fight yet. I donít know if that was in the back of anybodyís mind, but it was in the back of my mind a little bit." Jackman should be good for about a penalty minute per game, but he won't do much offensively. Feb 5 - 8:43 AM

Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Its Alright Ma

basically just parroting what others have said, but you need guys with size and skill. Any team can stick an enforcer on their fourth line. Its not the same thing as having toughness all over your roster the way the Bruins do.

Frankly the Habs didn't look out of place against the Bruins last night as is, so I don't think you guys should worry too much about the size thing anymore. Didn't the Habs outhit the Bruins anyways?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
bud12

Quote:
not a heavyweight. More like a Prust but in less good

Old
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
not a heavyweight. More like a Prust but in less good
Maybe not a great fighter but 6'2" 230 Lbs is a heavyweight.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
bud12

size don't mean much, fightcard is the way to go......

Old
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Maybe not a great fighter but 6'2" 230 Lbs is a heavyweight.
Jackman is 6'4" 205lbs.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Comon big guy let's have your playing history? Road hockey? Houseleague maybe? Lol
Hey Pigems, some guys are so skeptical, they just can't see any truth even when it bites them on the nose.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Where you being serious or mocking me? I new here lol
I was serious, experiencw counts.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

so glad we have guys like White who takes **** from no one!

Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
so glad we have guys like White who takes **** from no one!
Now do you agree with me - trade White for a bona Gide heavy. He can't be any worse.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Hey Pigems, some guys are so skeptical, they just can't see any truth even when it bites them on the nose.
Haha I know eh. At least someone understands lol

Old
02-07-2013, 10:51 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

After tonight's game, I say yes. Because any heavyweight available out there can't be worse than Ryan White. How seriously stupid can you be to repeat THE SAME MISTAKE after such a small amount of games played and cost your team the match in the process?!

Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post

if i wouldnt have to take a chemical shower after, i'd hug you right now

Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Now do you agree with me - trade White for a bona Gide heavy. He can't be any worse.
Or disciplined player with some skill.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Alright Ma View Post
basically just parroting what others have said, but you need guys with size and skill. Any team can stick an enforcer on their fourth line. Its not the same thing as having toughness all over your roster the way the Bruins do.

Frankly the Habs didn't look out of place against the Bruins last night as is, so I don't think you guys should worry too much about the size thing anymore. Didn't the Habs outhit the Bruins anyways?
But it was a relatively quiet match.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
After tonight's game, I say yes. Because any heavyweight available out there can't be worse than Ryan White. How seriously stupid can you be to repeat THE SAME MISTAKE after such a small amount of games played and cost your team the match in the process?!
Bah, calm down..

White has just had a series of costly overreactions lately and it's easy to put a spotlight over his head. Players that overreact are a better problem than players who lack hearth IMO. He'll come to his old ways soon enough. Personnally I've had just about enough of Armstrong who doesn't do squat for this team other than missing chances to score.

Closed Thread