HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
  #501
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Didn't think so,! Lol
your "first hand knowledge" comes from playing Junior B...

I wont be that guy as I always been a ****** hockey player, but I'm pretty sure there's a few here who play/ed at such a high level.


And even though I dont have that "first hand knowledge", I can tell you now what they'll say : make you feel more secure or safe and all...

but NONE will tell you it help(ed) them win games like most of you seems to think.


Last edited by overlords: 02-07-2013 at 02:05 PM.
ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
  #502
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I jumped in simply cause someone asked for proof that fighters help the game and was answering yes I've been out there at a high level and they DO make a difference. Nothing more till some douch had to get smart
Okay so to you, a league were people are paid MILLIONS to play hockey is the same as a league with kids ?

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
  #503
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Okay so to you, a league were people are paid MILLIONS to play hockey is the same as a league with kids ?
Not at all what I'm saying is hockey is hockey no matter who is playing it. One you hit junior and play by the full rules it does not change much.

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
  #504
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I agree. They do not win games and I know junior B isn't the best experience. I was mainly aining that at the one douch lol. But when your good players feel safe they play with more confidence so it does help the team in one sense, but your right the heavyweight will most likely not help personally on the scoresheet.
not only on the scoresheet, but his presence will have a positive effect on the team on rare occasions.

I'm pretty sure kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher feels a little safer playing with Prust, but thing is, Prust is no goon, he can play the game (good enough to be a regular in the line up), he can contribute offensively a little, plays well defensively, play a grinding game well enough... all those things goons can't do.

And if they can't do those things well, they're not bringing enough to warrant using a roster spot on them.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  #505
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
not only on the scoresheet, but his presence will have a positive effect on the team on rare occasions.

I'm pretty sure kids like Galchenyuk and Gallagher feels a little safer playing with Prust, but thing is, Prust is no goon, he can play the game (good enough to be a regular in the line up), he can contribute offensively a little, plays well defensively, play a grinding game well enough... all those things goons can't do.

And if they can't do those things well, they're not bringing enough to warrant using a roster spot on them.
That's also a good point and your right. Maybe e should find a good size 4th liner who can play THEN teach him to fight?

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
  #506
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
That's also a good point and your right. Maybe e should find a good size 4th liner who can play THEN teach him to fight?
meh, I dont think you can really do that, sure you can teach one to fight, but if he never did it before chances are that he wont become a good fighter if he's startig it at 23/24 years old. Not good enough to face those who have been doing this for a while, that's for sure.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
  #507
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
meh, I dont think you can really do that, sure you can teach one to fight, but if he never did it before chances are that he wont become a good fighter if he's startig it at 23/24 years old. Not good enough to face those who have been doing this for a while, that's for sure.
What about jackman in calgary? Whathis story? I dony much attention to any teams other then I habs

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
  #508
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 13,013
vCash: 500
I don't think so, what teams really need are tough players not necessarily tough guys, if that makes any sense

The habs have always been about speed and smart quick neutral zone transition, plugging in a heavyweight isn't necessary IMO

Look at it this way, the habs just barely lost to one of the toughest teams in the NHL last night. But why? Because they don't have a heavyweight? Not at all. They outhit Boston and there wasn't a single fight

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  #509
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I don't think so, what teams really need are tough players not necessarily tough guys, if that makes any sense

The habs have always been about speed and smart quick neutral zone transition, plugging in a heavyweight isn't necessary IMO

Look at it this way, the habs just barely lost to one of the toughest teams in the NHL last night. But why? Because they don't have a heavyweight? Not at all. They outhit Boston and there wasn't a single fight
pretty much this, while I get that some wants the Habs to be tougher, a goon isnt the way to go...

if anything, those advocating for an enforcer should look at the B line up a little... what makes them "tougher" IMO is that most of those who are qualified as tough players also happen to play on top 6 (Lucic) or the first pairing D (Chara)... there's a HUGE difference between those guys and a goon playing on the 4th line for about 5 minutes a game.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
  #510
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
What about jackman in calgary? Whathis story? I dony much attention to any teams other then I habs
Tim Jackman needed 18 stitches after fighting Chicago's Brandon Bollig on Saturday.It was the Calgary Flames' first fight of the season. "I was doing it to get the guys excited, to get the energy up and the momentum on our side," Jackman said. "Obviously, we hadnít had a fight yet. I donít know if that was in the back of anybodyís mind, but it was in the back of my mind a little bit." Jackman should be good for about a penalty minute per game, but he won't do much offensively. Feb 5 - 8:43 AM

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #511
Its Alright Ma
Registered User
 
Its Alright Ma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
basically just parroting what others have said, but you need guys with size and skill. Any team can stick an enforcer on their fourth line. Its not the same thing as having toughness all over your roster the way the Bruins do.

Frankly the Habs didn't look out of place against the Bruins last night as is, so I don't think you guys should worry too much about the size thing anymore. Didn't the Habs outhit the Bruins anyways?

Its Alright Ma is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:47 PM
  #512
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
What about jackman in calgary? Whathis story? I dony much attention to any teams other then I habs
not a heavyweight. More like a Prust but in less good

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:53 PM
  #513
PsychoticHab
Registered User
 
PsychoticHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 967
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
not a heavyweight. More like a Prust but in less good
Maybe not a great fighter but 6'2" 230 Lbs is a heavyweight.

PsychoticHab is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
  #514
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
size don't mean much, fightcard is the way to go......

bud12 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  #515
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoticHab View Post
Maybe not a great fighter but 6'2" 230 Lbs is a heavyweight.
Jackman is 6'4" 205lbs.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
  #516
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Comon big guy let's have your playing history? Road hockey? Houseleague maybe? Lol
Hey Pigems, some guys are so skeptical, they just can't see any truth even when it bites them on the nose.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
  #517
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Where you being serious or mocking me? I new here lol
I was serious, experiencw counts.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
  #518
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,083
vCash: 500
so glad we have guys like White who takes **** from no one!

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
  #519
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
so glad we have guys like White who takes **** from no one!
Now do you agree with me - trade White for a bona Gide heavy. He can't be any worse.

TennisMenace is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:21 PM
  #520
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Hey Pigems, some guys are so skeptical, they just can't see any truth even when it bites them on the nose.
Haha I know eh. At least someone understands lol

Pigems* is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:51 PM
  #521
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
After tonight's game, I say yes. Because any heavyweight available out there can't be worse than Ryan White. How seriously stupid can you be to repeat THE SAME MISTAKE after such a small amount of games played and cost your team the match in the process?!

kassian is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
  #522
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I don't think so, what teams really need are tough players not necessarily tough guys, if that makes any sense

The habs have always been about speed and smart quick neutral zone transition, plugging in a heavyweight isn't necessary IMO

Look at it this way, the habs just barely lost to one of the toughest teams in the NHL last night. But why? Because they don't have a heavyweight? Not at all. They outhit Boston and there wasn't a single fight
if i wouldnt have to take a chemical shower after, i'd hug you right now

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:30 PM
  #523
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Now do you agree with me - trade White for a bona Gide heavy. He can't be any worse.
Or disciplined player with some skill.

uiCk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 PM
  #524
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Alright Ma View Post
basically just parroting what others have said, but you need guys with size and skill. Any team can stick an enforcer on their fourth line. Its not the same thing as having toughness all over your roster the way the Bruins do.

Frankly the Habs didn't look out of place against the Bruins last night as is, so I don't think you guys should worry too much about the size thing anymore. Didn't the Habs outhit the Bruins anyways?
But it was a relatively quiet match.

Kimota is offline  
Old
02-08-2013, 12:01 AM
  #525
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
After tonight's game, I say yes. Because any heavyweight available out there can't be worse than Ryan White. How seriously stupid can you be to repeat THE SAME MISTAKE after such a small amount of games played and cost your team the match in the process?!
Bah, calm down..

White has just had a series of costly overreactions lately and it's easy to put a spotlight over his head. Players that overreact are a better problem than players who lack hearth IMO. He'll come to his old ways soon enough. Personnally I've had just about enough of Armstrong who doesn't do squat for this team other than missing chances to score.

Maxpac is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.