HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  #101
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Theodore got us the win tonight. Anyone think we would have gotten even a point tonight with Clemmer in net...? Anyone? *cue cricket chirps*

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
  #102
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Theodore got us the win tonight. Anyone think we would have gotten even a point tonight with Clemmer in net...? Anyone? *cue cricket chirps*
Anyone think Clemmer is as good as Theo? Anyone? *cue cricket chirps*

Nobody is responding because nobody thinks Clemmer is as good as Theo. This was never something people disagreed about.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
  #103
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Anyone think Clemmer is as good as Theo? Anyone? *cue cricket chirps*

Nobody is responding because nobody thinks Clemmer is as good as Theo. This was never something people disagreed about.
Once again you fail to understand the argument many of us are making.

We need very good goaltending to win games.

We don't get that with Clemmer. We could potentially have that with Markstrom. That's the point we're trying to make.

I think everyone is in agreement that Clemmer is "all right", but that's not what this team needs. Do you get it yet?

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  #104
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
Once again you fail to understand the argument many of us are making.

We need very good goaltending to win games.

We don't get that with Clemmer. We could potentially have that with Markstrom. That's the point we're trying to make.

I think everyone is in agreement that Clemmer is "all right", but that's not what this team needs. Do you get it yet?
Clemmer got us points in 20 of 26 games so we know we can and have won and earned points with him. Do you understand that? Because if you did, you wouldn't make pointless arguments.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  #105
pantherbot
Registered User
 
pantherbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Clemmer got us points in 20 of 26 games so we know we can and have won and earned points with him. Do you understand that? Because if you did, you wouldn't make pointless arguments.
that was last year, with a different team, stop just pulling out stats without any context.

i give him credit for playing well at times last year, but markstrom gives us a better chance.

whatever, there's no point in this debate anymore. i'm done.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
  #106
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
that was last year, with a different team, stop just pulling out stats without any context.
LOL what context do you need? Are facts too complicated. These are very straight forwad. He went 14-6-6. That's a very good record. Do I need to break down each and every game, making you only happen when Clemmer earned the victory the way Theo did tonight? The sample size is large enough to reasonably believe Clemmer is a goalie that can earn this team points. And yes, this team is different. The forwards are better, and the D is arguably the same. So what exactly is your point besides some vague notion of "context?"

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:18 PM
  #107
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
You're right , but how long do we have until we have to sign him?


2007? I'm pretty sure he was in training last year...
I'm not talking about prospect camps. He hasn't come over to play in North America.

We have until he's 27 to sign him, then he becomes a UFA.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
  #108
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
LOL what context do you need? Are facts too complicated. These are very straight forwad. He went 14-6-6. That's a very good record. Do I need to break down each and every game, making you only happen when Clemmer earned the victory the way Theo did tonight? The sample size is large enough to reasonably believe Clemmer is a goalie that can earn this team points. And yes, this team is different. The forwards are better, and the D is arguably the same. So what exactly is your point besides some vague notion of "context?"
This team is probably worse defensively than last year's. I don't think it's a huge difference that's going to cause Clemmer to have a terrible year, but I don't think our D is "arguably the same" unless guys like Kulkov and Gudbranson develop to another level this year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
  #109
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
This team is probably worse defensively than last year's. I don't think it's a huge difference that's going to cause Clemmer to have a terrible year, but I don't think our D is "arguably the same" unless guys like Kulkov and Gudbranson develop to another level this year.
The D isn't playing well right now but on paper, with an older Guds and Kulikov it is "arguably the same," imo. I think Adam Graves agreed with me earlier in this thread on this point.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
  #110
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
that was last year, with a different team, stop just pulling out stats without any context.

i give him credit for playing well at times last year, but markstrom gives us a better chance.

whatever, there's no point in this debate anymore. i'm done.
Good, this thread was getting way too long.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:04 PM
  #111
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,424
vCash: 500
yes please. Look how great Shore & Huber look! Why not bring Marks up too. He needs some playing time with big club this year if he is to be the fulltime backup next season tbh!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
  #112
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
yes please. Look how great Shore & Huber look! Why not bring Marks up too. He needs some playing time with big club this year if he is to be the fulltime backup next season tbh!
And he has the best chance to be a serviceable backup in a shortened season as he would play in way more games because of the compressed schedule

Boothinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:29 AM
  #113
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
This team is probably worse defensively than last year's. I don't think it's a huge difference that's going to cause Clemmer to have a terrible year, but I don't think our D is "arguably the same" unless guys like Kulkov and Gudbranson develop to another level this year.
I think our d will improve with each game...

The point is simply Marky gives us a better chance any and every game he'd play over clemmer, and no one, no one, can dispute that. We are in a playoff sprint where every point is gold.

Bring up the alien.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
  #114
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I think our d will improve with each game...

The point is simply Marky gives us a better chance any and every game he'd play over clemmer, and no one, no one, can dispute that. We are in a playoff sprint where every point is gold.

Bring up the alien.
Thats an opinion, not fact, so yes it can be disputed

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
  #115
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Thats an opinion, not fact, so yes it can be disputed
Your right.

No one rationally can argue that on any given day Markstrom gives you the better chance to win.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:52 AM
  #116
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Why not bring up DGM who has been just as good as Markstrom this season?

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
  #117
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Why not bring up DGM who has been just as good as Markstrom this season?
Because Markstrom is the Golden Boy Nate!!! If he plays, the Panthers will get a shoutout every game!! Didn't you know this??? If Markstrom plays, we can't possibly lose because he is just invincible!!!

Obviously I dont think this is the case. Of course I cant wait to see Jake play and hopefully dominate but many dont understand that the difference between quality of skaters is much larger to the quality of goalies. As good as Jake may be, he isnt the savior of this franchise. A key piece, yes. But the be all and end all, no.

Honestly if Clemm, DGM or Jake were the backup goalie, it wouldnt make much difference to the season.


Last edited by jakethesnake23: 02-08-2013 at 11:06 AM.
jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  #118
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Why not bring up DGM who has been just as good as Markstrom this season?
Because Markstrom is our future. And if he comes up and stumbles, I won't care. As a vested season ticket holder I dont mind paying to watch huby, shore et al even with some growing pains. As I will Markstrom. Certainly more so than a career backup on his decline.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
  #119
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,781
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
And he has the best chance to be a serviceable backup in a shortened season as he would play in way more games because of the compressed schedule
I think this is a fallacy as well that people keep saying (not just you). So far in the first 10 games, Clemmer has only gotten 2 chances to start (appeared in a 3rd game, which wasnt completely Theo's fault on why he got pulled) so why wouldn't Dineen play his current backup more then in this condensed schedule? And dont give me the excuse that he doesnt trust Clemmer because he obviously does with his statements post-game. Markstrom wouldnt get any more chances to play than Clemmer regardless of whats happening this season.


Last edited by Coolburn: 02-08-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:58 AM
  #120
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,592
vCash: 500
Yeah, Markstrom wouldn't get much playing time right now.

It seems like we haven't played many back to backs even with the 48-game schedule.

Our next B2B is two weeks from now. Another at the beginning of March (2-3). The next one at the beginning of April (6-7). And that's it.

We have 3 B2B's the rest of the year. Clemmer might not even play in 10 games this year. If Theo is consistent as he was last year, there's no real reason that he can't carry most of the workload this year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
  #121
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,592
vCash: 500
By the way, for those complaining about Theodore's play...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7218--nhl.html

He leads the league in save % on shots that are within 15 feet with a .921%. The next best is Carey Price at .909.

He's bailed out our defense a lot.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
  #122
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,069
vCash: 500
Yeah, I doubt Theodore is going to be outplayed by anybody in our system right now. He'll get the vast majority of starts and he should with the way he is playing right now. Bringing Markstrom up to play a handful of games this season isn't how we should be developing him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
  #123
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Anybody that thinks Clem will get demoted anytime soon is kidding themselves. We just traded a former top ten pick for peanuts to shed salary because we are paying Santorelli a NHL salary to play in the AHL. Markstrom's two-way contract is what's keeping him in SA. Not how he is playing.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
  #124
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Anybody that thinks Clem will get demoted anytime soon is kidding themselves. We just traded a former top ten pick for peanuts to shed salary because we are paying Santorelli a NHL salary to play in the AHL. Markstrom's two-way contract is what's keeping him in SA. Not how he is playing.
I don't think they think Markstrom is ready for the NHL.

They might not think that Markstrom should be here now because of the way the schedule is setup. He's not going to outplay Theodore so there's no point in having him sit on the bench and be a backup (again, only 3 B2B's the rest of the year).

If they felt it was best for Markstrom to be here, they would've saved some money and not signed Clemmensen at all last offseason, to begin with.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
  #125
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Yeah, Markstrom wouldn't get much playing time right now.

It seems like we haven't played many back to backs even with the 48-game schedule.

Our next B2B is two weeks from now. Another at the beginning of March (2-3). The next one at the beginning of April (6-7). And that's it.

We have 3 B2B's the rest of the year. Clemmer might not even play in 10 games this year. If Theo is consistent as he was last year, there's no real reason that he can't carry most of the workload this year.
This is the best point of the thread.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.