HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/7/13 7PM Draft Lottery Riggers vs. Draft Lottery Losers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
  #551
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Why couldn't we get an experienced coach?
Its what I like to call the Jerry Jones syndrome. And GMGM has it. He wants all the glory for finally winning the cup - so he wants his stamp on the players, the core guys he's drafted. And he wants to be the one who found that one young coach that had hadn't been given a shot yet. He wants to say "I did it".

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
  #552
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Weren't faceoffs a good attribute in Oates' coaching? Well we suck at that too, Hell we're worse than last year.
Wasn't it Ribeiro that took the faceoff on Cooke's goal? Have the worst faceoff guy take a d-zone faceoff right after they scored? <shrug>

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
  #553
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It has nothing to do with the other 90% of his job.


Whatever, I obviously may be wrong about Oates, but pinning this mess on him is absolutely insane.
It's got everything to do with his ability to coach. If he can't coach a PP properly, how can he be expected to take on that other 90%?

I'm not pinning this mess on him. The roster has tons of problems, which is on McPhee. Most of the players aren't giving enough effort, which is on them.

But damn if Oates doesn't seem out of his depth.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
  #554
Liberati0n*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Shouldn't Oates be able to adjust to get the most out of what he has on the roster?
Yes. Errors of execution and mental lapses aren't faults of his strategy though.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
  #555
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Weren't faceoffs a good attribute in Oates' coaching? Well we suck at that too, Hell we're worse than last year.
Crabb was 2 for 13 tonight... I don't know why he's taking faceoffs, isn't Hendricks the winger that does it good?

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
  #556
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Yes. Errors of execution and mental lapses aren't faults of his strategy though.
But it's his job to get the team mentally focused and motivated, which would help to eliminate errors of execution and mental lapses.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
  #557
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,993
vCash: 500
Brooks laich will save us. Best player not playing yet.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
  #558
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,651
vCash: 500
When you hire a guy based on a televised bench tirade in the sc finals, you get to pick first.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
  #559
Liberati0n*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It's got everything to do with his ability to coach. If he can't coach a PP properly, how can he be expected to take on that other 90%?

I'm not pinning this mess on him. The roster has tons of problems, which is on McPhee. Most of the players aren't giving enough effort, which is on them.

But damn if Oates doesn't seem out of his depth.
Can Boudreau coach a PP properly? What does it imply about his competence as a coach that the PP couldn't score against Montreal? He must suck at playoff coaching. I mean really suck.

He may be in over his head, but the water shouldn't be nearly this deep. I just think he should get the opportunity to coach in a remotely functional environment. I don't think there's any fair way to assess his performance under these circumstances.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  #560
Langway
\_(ツ)_/
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 25,145
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Crabb was 2 for 13 tonight... I don't know why he's taking faceoffs, isn't Hendricks the winger that does it good?
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is 3C recently.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  #561
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,993
vCash: 500


No worries guys. I've got this.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
  #562
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It's not Oates' doing that the team has no identity though. I think he has a clear idea of what he wants his team to look like. The roster is a mess because McPhee has lacked such a clear idea himself.
I think Oates has the potential be an effective NHL coach if he gets to work with a GM instead of having to work for one, especially one that has put together a bunch of stiffs with no identity. I just think it's a lost cause expect a coach with so little experience to impose his will on this group of inmates that's been allowed to run the asylum.

It is ironic that the apologists for a former coach and "prospect" that has sucked for over 100+ games could be so certain of Oates after 11 games.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
  #563
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Can Boudreau coach a PP properly? What does it imply about his competence as a coach that the PP couldn't score against Montreal? He must suck at playoff coaching. I mean really suck.

He may be in over his head, but the water shouldn't be nearly this deep. I just think he should get the opportunity to coach in a remotely functional environment. I don't think there's any fair way to assess his performance under these circumstances.
Eh? Boudreau didn't coach the PP. He excelled at his job prior to becoming the Caps' head coach. There's really no comparison.

Plenty of coaches have gone into situations much worse than the Caps and done better than Oates has.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
  #564
Liberati0n*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I think Oates has the potential be an effective NHL coach if he gets to work with a GM instead of having to work for one, especially one that has put together a bunch of stiffs with no identity. I just think it's a lost cause expect a coach with so little experience to impose his will on this group of inmates that's been allowed to run the asylum.
This is my exact position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTW
Eh? Boudreau didn't coach the PP. He excelled at his job prior to becoming the Caps' head coach. There's really no comparison.
He got fired from the Manchester Monarchs. That's as much evidence against him as there is against Oates from New Jersey. I guess he sucked.

Quote:
Plenty of coaches have gone into situations much worse than the Caps and done better than Oates has.
How about two examples? If it's too hard to choose you can give more.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
  #565
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Oates was an assistant on a Stanley Cup Final team, so he must have excelled at his job too.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
  #566
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
He got fired from the Manchester Monarchs. That's as much evidence against him as there is against Oates from New Jersey. I guess he sucked.
But the Devils fans hated Oates and the Caps fans never complained about Boudreau! Isn't that proof enough for you that Oates sucks?

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:56 PM
  #567
calicapsfan
Moderator
NFA
 
calicapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berserkly
Country: United States
Posts: 11,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is on the team.
Fixed

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  #568
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
This is my exact position.
If He's too inexperienced to impose his will on NHL players, he's not a good NHL head coach.

Quote:
He got fired from the Manchester Monarchs. That's as much evidence against him as there is against Oates from New Jersey. I guess he sucked.
Any idea why he got fired from the Monarchs?

It was a management power play and had nothing to do with his ability. Oates isn't even in the same universe as Boudreau in terms of coaching accomplishments.


Quote:
How about two examples? If it's too hard to choose you can give more.
Kirk Muller, Paul MacLean, Dave Tippett

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
  #569
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 31,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is 3C recently.
I still can't figure that one out.

And while we're talking ****** coaching...Calle...what the **** is going on with your D dude?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
  #570
Liberati0n*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If He's too inexperienced to impose his will on NHL players, he's not a good NHL head coach.
This doesn't warrant a response. Blatant misrepresentation.


Quote:
Any idea why he got fired from the Monarchs?

It was a management power play and had nothing to do with his ability. Oates isn't even in the same universe as Boudreau in terms of coaching accomplishments.
That's not the point. The point is you're judging Oates on one season that was supposedly a failure because fans were unhappy with the PP (what a shock). Getting fired is a worse failure than that no matter how you view it. If one season of "failure" is damning, then it's damning for Boudreau too. He clearly shouldn't have been hired to coach Hershey after that. I hope you're just doing this for the sake of the argument; if you really think New Jersey's fans complaining about the PP is grounds to believe Oates isn't a good coach, I don't even know what to say.

Quote:
Kirk Muller, Paul MacLean, Dave Tippett
They were hired to coach teams that had been bad, but that's not the same thing at all.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  #571
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 31,554
vCash: 500
So what has Oates done well to this point?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
  #572
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 4,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So what has Oates done well to this point?
Not yelling at them?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
  #573
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
The Pens are a good team. They have a good shot at the Cup this year (I'll be rooting desperately against them). So tonight figured to be an easy win for the Pens. I'm not too pissed off about this particular loss but at the fact the our team is jerry-built. The cracks have been in plain view for 3 years and now the thing is wobbling or even crashing down.

The team is so bad and it is so clear that I'm actually mildly optimistic that Ted will replace McPhee with Burke.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  #574
Liberati0n*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So what has Oates done well to this point?
He's improved their puck possession by a ridiculous amount. There have been periods of the strong forechecking he wants. You can see the potential when the players actually execute his system for a period or two here and there. Yes, he needs to get them to execute more consistently, but I think it's clear their failure to do so is coming from themselves at this point (based on how much this group has crumbled in the past in similar ways).

It would be funny if Ribeiro demanded a trade.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  #575
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
This doesn't warrant a response. Blatant misrepresentation.
It's not a misrepresentation at all. You're asserting that he shouldn't be judged on not being able to get the players in line because of his inexperience and the bad habits of the roster. As much as I disliked him as a coach, remind me again how much experience Dale Hunter had?

Quote:
That's not the point. The point is you're judging Oates on one season that was supposedly a failure because fans were unhappy with the PP (what a shock). Getting fired is a worse failure than that no matter how you view it. If one season of "failure" is damning, then it's damning for Boudreau too. He clearly shouldn't have been hired to coach Hershey after that. I hope you're just doing this for the sake of the argument; if you really think New Jersey's fans complaining about the PP is grounds to believe Oates isn't a good coach, I don't even know what to say.
I'm not judging him based on the fans dissatisfaction. I merely said it seemed their negative attitude towards him (which you're dismissing entirely because it's only based on the PP) seems to have been justified, based on this season.


Quote:
They were hired to coach teams that had been bad, but that's not the same thing at all.
How is it not the same thing at all? Oates was hired as the coach of a playoff team, and it's tanked. They were hired as coaches of bad teams, and elevated their performances.

You think those bad teams were well constructed and full of players with good habits?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.