HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/7/13 7PM Draft Lottery Riggers vs. Draft Lottery Losers

Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So he sucked at his main responsibility. Not seeing how that helps your case.
It has nothing to do with the other 90% of his job.

Whatever, I obviously may be wrong about Oates, but pinning this mess on him is absolutely insane.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
It's not Oates' doing that the team has no identity though. I think he has a clear idea of what he wants his team to look like. The roster is a mess because McPhee has lacked such a clear idea himself.
Shouldn't Oates be able to adjust to get the most out of what he has on the roster?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Why couldn't we get an experienced coach?
Its what I like to call the Jerry Jones syndrome. And GMGM has it. He wants all the glory for finally winning the cup - so he wants his stamp on the players, the core guys he's drafted. And he wants to be the one who found that one young coach that had hadn't been given a shot yet. He wants to say "I did it".

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Weren't faceoffs a good attribute in Oates' coaching? Well we suck at that too, Hell we're worse than last year.
Wasn't it Ribeiro that took the faceoff on Cooke's goal? Have the worst faceoff guy take a d-zone faceoff right after they scored? <shrug>

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the other 90% of his job.

Whatever, I obviously may be wrong about Oates, but pinning this mess on him is absolutely insane.
It's got everything to do with his ability to coach. If he can't coach a PP properly, how can he be expected to take on that other 90%?

I'm not pinning this mess on him. The roster has tons of problems, which is on McPhee. Most of the players aren't giving enough effort, which is on them.

But damn if Oates doesn't seem out of his depth.

Old
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Shouldn't Oates be able to adjust to get the most out of what he has on the roster?
Yes. Errors of execution and mental lapses aren't faults of his strategy though.

Old
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Weren't faceoffs a good attribute in Oates' coaching? Well we suck at that too, Hell we're worse than last year.
Crabb was 2 for 13 tonight... I don't know why he's taking faceoffs, isn't Hendricks the winger that does it good?

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yes. Errors of execution and mental lapses aren't faults of his strategy though.
But it's his job to get the team mentally focused and motivated, which would help to eliminate errors of execution and mental lapses.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Brooks laich will save us. Best player not playing yet.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

When you hire a guy based on a televised bench tirade in the sc finals, you get to pick first.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
It's got everything to do with his ability to coach. If he can't coach a PP properly, how can he be expected to take on that other 90%?

I'm not pinning this mess on him. The roster has tons of problems, which is on McPhee. Most of the players aren't giving enough effort, which is on them.

But damn if Oates doesn't seem out of his depth.
Can Boudreau coach a PP properly? What does it imply about his competence as a coach that the PP couldn't score against Montreal? He must suck at playoff coaching. I mean really suck.

He may be in over his head, but the water shouldn't be nearly this deep. I just think he should get the opportunity to coach in a remotely functional environment. I don't think there's any fair way to assess his performance under these circumstances.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Crabb was 2 for 13 tonight... I don't know why he's taking faceoffs, isn't Hendricks the winger that does it good?
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is 3C recently.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

No worries guys. I've got this.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
It's not Oates' doing that the team has no identity though. I think he has a clear idea of what he wants his team to look like. The roster is a mess because McPhee has lacked such a clear idea himself.
I think Oates has the potential be an effective NHL coach if he gets to work with a GM instead of having to work for one, especially one that has put together a bunch of stiffs with no identity. I just think it's a lost cause expect a coach with so little experience to impose his will on this group of inmates that's been allowed to run the asylum.

It is ironic that the apologists for a former coach and "prospect" that has sucked for over 100+ games could be so certain of Oates after 11 games.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Can Boudreau coach a PP properly? What does it imply about his competence as a coach that the PP couldn't score against Montreal? He must suck at playoff coaching. I mean really suck.

He may be in over his head, but the water shouldn't be nearly this deep. I just think he should get the opportunity to coach in a remotely functional environment. I don't think there's any fair way to assess his performance under these circumstances.
Eh? Boudreau didn't coach the PP. He excelled at his job prior to becoming the Caps' head coach. There's really no comparison.

Plenty of coaches have gone into situations much worse than the Caps and done better than Oates has.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I think Oates has the potential be an effective NHL coach if he gets to work with a GM instead of having to work for one, especially one that has put together a bunch of stiffs with no identity. I just think it's a lost cause expect a coach with so little experience to impose his will on this group of inmates that's been allowed to run the asylum.
This is my exact position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTW
Eh? Boudreau didn't coach the PP. He excelled at his job prior to becoming the Caps' head coach. There's really no comparison.
He got fired from the Manchester Monarchs. That's as much evidence against him as there is against Oates from New Jersey. I guess he sucked.

Quote:
Plenty of coaches have gone into situations much worse than the Caps and done better than Oates has.
How about two examples? If it's too hard to choose you can give more.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Oates was an assistant on a Stanley Cup Final team, so he must have excelled at his job too.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
He got fired from the Manchester Monarchs. That's as much evidence against him as there is against Oates from New Jersey. I guess he sucked.
But the Devils fans hated Oates and the Caps fans never complained about Boudreau! Isn't that proof enough for you that Oates sucks?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:56 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is on the team.
Fixed

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
This is my exact position.
If He's too inexperienced to impose his will on NHL players, he's not a good NHL head coach.

Quote:
Any idea why he got fired from the Monarchs?

It was a management power play and had nothing to do with his ability. Oates isn't even in the same universe as Boudreau in terms of coaching accomplishments.

Quote:
How about two examples? If it's too hard to choose you can give more.
Kirk Muller, Paul MacLean, Dave Tippett

Old
02-07-2013, 09:58 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yeah, it's kind of lost in the shuffle of overall non-sense but I really have no idea whatsoever why Crabb is 3C recently.
I still can't figure that one out.

And while we're talking ****** coaching...Calle...what the **** is going on with your D dude?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
If He's too inexperienced to impose his will on NHL players, he's not a good NHL head coach.
This doesn't warrant a response. Blatant misrepresentation.

Quote:
Any idea why he got fired from the Monarchs?

It was a management power play and had nothing to do with his ability. Oates isn't even in the same universe as Boudreau in terms of coaching accomplishments.
That's not the point. The point is you're judging Oates on one season that was supposedly a failure because fans were unhappy with the PP (what a shock). Getting fired is a worse failure than that no matter how you view it. If one season of "failure" is damning, then it's damning for Boudreau too. He clearly shouldn't have been hired to coach Hershey after that. I hope you're just doing this for the sake of the argument; if you really think New Jersey's fans complaining about the PP is grounds to believe Oates isn't a good coach, I don't even know what to say.

Quote:
Kirk Muller, Paul MacLean, Dave Tippett
They were hired to coach teams that had been bad, but that's not the same thing at all.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

So what has Oates done well to this point?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So what has Oates done well to this point?
Not yelling at them?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Atlas

The Pens are a good team. They have a good shot at the Cup this year (I'll be rooting desperately against them). So tonight figured to be an easy win for the Pens. I'm not too pissed off about this particular loss but at the fact the our team is jerry-built. The cracks have been in plain view for 3 years and now the thing is wobbling or even crashing down.

The team is so bad and it is so clear that I'm actually mildly optimistic that Ted will replace McPhee with Burke.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote