HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welp.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:01 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Ah an even better source.

You can find a lot of good sources on rds...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
White is basically a future Asham type player. These types are perfect 4th liners. Instead of overpaying for them UFA time, or giving them away as in the case of Asham, Habs finally developing one.
Agreed and I would be upset if he's chased out of town.

But he earned himself another benching. He needs to learn, for both our sake and his own. I'm not ready to give u on him but what he did today was as selfish as it gets.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:04 PM
TYLENOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I agree about Tinordi coming in next year, IMO that's a no brainer, but I'm asking about this season.
This season, we'd be better off keeping the same squad but perhaps we can try to trade Weber for a Defenseman with size, most likely a 7th defensemen (Kent Huskins, Mike Lundin).

TYLENOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Once White chills out a bit with the bad penalties he's much more effective than those guys and it's not even close.
Agreed, but you cant expect people who love softies to appreciate toughness. Like for me, is hard to appreciate softies.

There are two philosophy in hockey. Some people like gritty teams like Anaheim the year they won the cup, Boston, LA last years.

Some prefer soft teams like Buffalo, our Habs for so many years, Washington Capitals.

I prefer the first philosophy. Many people here prefer the second option, which i respect cause taste cant be argued...

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Agreed and I would be upset if he's chased out of town.

But he earned himself another benching. He needs to learn, for both our sake and his own. I'm not ready to give u on him but what he did today was as selfish as it gets.
Doubt he gets run out of town for being too willing to fight to be honest.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Budaj handled the puck like it was a wet bar of soap. He needs to play more to get better, but he can't get more starts until he plays better. Is that what they call a paradox?
why does budaj need to play more?are the habs trying to make the playoffs or help average backup goalies develop?i guess price is tired after his short summer.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We were in perfect control of this game before White took that brainless 4 min roughing penality, if it was to defend a teammate I would have understood better but he dropped the gloves for himself, what is unacceptable considering how precious the pts are.. I blame this one 100% on Ryan White cause his penality was total disrespect toward his teammates who battled hard all night long to get the 2 pts..
OK. My last response on this thread regarding White.

If you simply take the hit by Ott on White and then look at White's reaction, yes it was over the top. He should have went up to him and offered him to drop the gloves.

But plays do not happen in a vacuum. You have to take everything that happened prior to that and then put that into context.

White is a player's player. A team player. Right before White went over the boards, Ott was harrassing Gionta all over the ice. It started with Ott grabbing Gionta's stick (refs let that go) and Gionta responding to a punch to Ott's chest. Ott then followed Gionta around the ice, pushing him and then they were standing toe to toe. White sees this and then Ott skates toward White and then went low on him.

Dumb move to drop the gloves with Ott playing the role of a troll. Cost us a goal.

But the game? No way in hell.

We shot the puck into Buffalo's end with 14 seconds to play. We only used one forechecker where two would have been better to offer more pressure. And the the blown call.

That had nothing to do with White. Nothing at all.

Anyway, have a great evening.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Wow some people just cant take contrary views!! I was getting the same kinda flak on AK46 and boy was i proved right. He is not even in the NHL anymore.
Actually, pretty much everyone here enjoys a contrary view.

That is the whole point of these boards unless you are a trolling sociopath, or a hydrocephalic brute.

It's unlikely anyone blocks you because of your contrary opinions. It's much more likely they do because you do not debate, rarely, if ever give a salient rebuttal, and, ALWAYS ignore pertinent points, relevant statistics, and opposing opinions by your peers - the other posters.

I would recommend to try a lot less vitriol and a great deal more communication.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I remember the media making rumours, as they always do when it comes with the Habs.

You do know what a rumour is right? You also know what conjecture is?
You do remember Saku Koivu fighting Ribeiro in practice while being the captain right? Not very captain like. Captains are suppose to unify the team.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Biron is widely seen as one of the best back-up goalie in the league right now. He has a better GAA than Budaj last year. And he has much much much better numbers these past few seasons overall. Here are their numbers for their last 5 seasons (since 2007-08) :

Biron :
GP : 186
GAA : 2,55
% : 0,913

Budaj
GP : 170
GAA : 2,65
% : 0,901
And I'd take Biron over Budaj if I was calling the shots, but I'm not and of all the things to blame Gauthier on, this is near the bottom. Should we have brought back Auld instead?

Fact is Budaj was an interesting gamble proven to be a mediocre NHL goalie with some upside. Biron from what I've read is happy in NY and we really shouldn't be paying $3M for two years for a guy who plays once every other week. Biron is not coming of a season any better than Budaj when you consider how good the Rangers were defensively. What we really need to do is draft more goalies of we want an above average backup.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:08 PM
HotPie

Quote:
You do remember Saku Koivu fighting Ribeiro in practice while being the captain right? Now very captain like. Captains are suppose to unify the team.
Right, and this is somehow supposed to mean that he was angry at him because he was "playing better than him"?

God forbid there be some other reason that we, not being within the Habs locker room, were not privy to. That would be preposterous.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
StellerEller
DeadliestSekac

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLENOL View Post
This season, we'd be better off keeping the same squad but perhaps we can try to trade Weber for a Defenseman with size, most likely a 7th defensemen (Kent Huskins, Mike Lundin).
I'd make that deal, but then do we just let Huskins or Lundin sit in the pressbox? That's the problem IMO. We're too logjammed at D that the only move we can make is to sit Boullion for a bigger shutdown D, and I don't think MT will do that.

StellerEller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:10 PM
andy28

Quote:
Agreed, but you cant expect people who love softies to appreciate toughness. Like for me, is hard to appreciate softies.

I prefer the first philosophy. Many people here prefer the second option, which i respect cause taste cant be argued...
Um, so either you are really tough or really soft? I would think there would be different levels of this. I have always thought the Habs needed more toughness, too. But there's such a thing as balance. Caps eliminated the Bruins last year. Detroit has done pretty well. They aren't the grittiest squad either, but they aren't soft either.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Plekanec is by far the most clutch player for the habs. Every game he shows up and puts his heart on the line.
Well... except for yesterday.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Why do people compare White and Prust? It's not just a matter of White controlling himself. The two aren't even close to being in the same league.

I can't even think of one thing that White does as well as Prust. And that's before we even consider White's stupid penalties.
As I mentioned White needs to control his aggressiveness but he only has 70 NHL games under his belt: he still has some untapped potential. Give him time (2-3 years) and he may reach his high end potential: Prust.

Prust is slightly quicker and he possesses a higher hockey IQ but almost everything else is equal.

Long story short, yes I think White’s high end potential is Prust and, frankly, I don’t understand why you seem to think it is such an atrocious comparison!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Just watched MT's interview on RDS.ca

lol damn

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I don't even know what to say.
What?

Hey, Ryan White and Ben Maxwell (now in the AHL where he has scored 3 goals in 48 games this season - that's 3 goals in the AHL) were Draft Day Home Runs in 2006.........at least according to Trevor Timmins.

Sure glad Habs finally have a GM and assistant GM who can evaluate talent themselves - they don't have to rely on Timmins to do so!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I'd make that deal, but then do we just let Huskins or Lundin sit in the pressbox? That's the problem IMO. We're too logjammed at D that the only move we can make is to sit Boullion for a bigger shutdown D, and I don't think MT will do that.
Why exactly would MT sit his 4th best D-Men since the beginning of the season?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Um, so either you are really tough or really soft? I would think there would be different levels of this. I have always thought the Habs needed more toughness, too. But there's such a thing as balance. Caps eliminated the Bruins last year. Detroit has done pretty well. They aren't the grittiest squad either, but they aren't soft either.
The Red Wings have always been one of the grittiest team in the league. Even there small players arent afraid to go in front of the net and in the corners, toughness does not necessarly mean fighting. Its how you handle yourself under pressure has well.

Old
andy28

Quote:
Plekanec is by far the most clutch player for the habs. Every game he shows up and puts his heart on the line. I see the same in Bourque this year also.
Plek's bring's alot. He is speedy, talented and really good defensively.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:14 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
What?

Hey, Ryan White and Ben Maxwell (now in the AHL where he has scored 3 goals in 48 games this season - that's 3 goals in the AHL) were Draft Day Home Runs in 2006.........at least according to Trevor Timmins.

Sure glad Habs finally have a GM and assistant GM who can evaluate talent themselves - they don't have to rely on Timmins to do so!

You realize that Ryan White was a very good pick in the 3rd round?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well... except for yesterday.
Well... except in almost in every meaningful games. Just vanishes in the playoffs.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Plek's bring's alot. He is speedy, talented and really good defensively.
He was terrible defensively on the tying goal tonight, and was on for the tying goal and winning goal last game. His defensive qualities are massively exagerated. He was last on the team with -15 last year and he his last on the team so far this year with -2.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Habs

Same old same old. This team is still pathetic on the backend, way to small and not nearly physical enough. Not sure why Bergevin thinks this team can ice such a small blueline with that pile of soft players upfront.

Two games in a row a lack of grit on the backend cost us points.

Oh, and even though Pleks scored, he was brutal tonight as was DD.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
As I mentioned White needs to control his aggressiveness but he only has 70 NHL games under his belt: he still has some untapped potential. Give him time (2-3 years) and he may reach his high end potential: Prust.

Prust is slightly quicker and he possesses a higher hockey IQ but almost everything else is equal.

Long story short, yes I think White’s high end potential is Prust and, frankly, I don’t understand why you seem to think it is such an atrocious comparison!
white is nowhere near prust .brandon plays hard AND smart.has prust cost us games taking stupid double minors?no.white should and will sit a few games.he will learn or he wont play.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote