Notices

Leafs 3 Jets 2. Pavelec fails again.

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Nobody here is jumping ship. This is just the usual post-game emotional ranting.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
29Nylander

vCash: 500
Pavelec wasn't bad but like someone else said Kessel's shot was a bullet and the Frattin goal would have been hard to handle. Not all on the goalie. I think Pavs is good but I don't watch all Jets games either.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Kent C Tugood
Not Quite Dead Yet

I'm trying not to get too caught up early in this season, as I wholeheartedly feel the overall playoff picture is going to develop in the heart of March, specifically with the southeast.

That also being said, I was there. It was our game, we lost it. Wouldn't be half as bad if it weren't the Leafs.

Old
JetsFan815
Maybe we can do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
Pavelec sucks and Enstrom blows!
14 points in 11 games, yes ofcourse he blows, trade away the scrub

Old
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
People need to stop defending Pavelec in this game. If the better team loses, it's usually because of goaltending. Sure, 2 of the goals weren't "soft goals" but we need a big save now and again, and Pavelec is not doing that this year. I think he has a 0% save percentage on breakaways and shootouts. It is ******* horrible. I used to be a believer in Pavelec, but I have lost confidence in him with this game. I hope the coaching staff does too and sits him in favour of Montoya/Dekanich/Pasquale.

Also, this game could have been tied 3 - 3 if one of those post shots when in the in the first period. We deserved at least one goal in that period, especially since the refs were screwing over the Leafs royally.

Ladd was invisible tonight. Not sure if he tipped the Clitsome goal or not, but it was still a mediocre performance.

Little was our best forward and Burmistrov was a close second. I think Ladd should move off this line in favour of Kane so we can get him going.

Enstrom was extremely shaky this game. Not a bad game by any means, but not very confident with the puck and passing. Stuart also have a fairly poor game in the 3rd but was very good in the first 2.

This loss is going to hurt for a while. My confidence in this team is broken. I hope we really show up next game and dominate or this could be a long season.
Really? Ladd was one of the better forwards. Had several big hits, made some nice plays. He was one of the better forwards out there tonight.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
broinwhyteridge

Tired of hearing from the player/coach interviews how disappointed they are.

Play better and you won't have anything to be disappointed about.

Cripes.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
Pavelec sucks and Enstrom blows!
I thought Enstrom was fine tonight? I didn't see anything notably bad. And a nice play to move that puck up for the first shorty.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Espirit

I don't mind the occasional bad goals kinda game, but our special teams have been very inconsistent all season, and thats what scares me if this team to move forward

Old
porkerhunter

That was a letdown. I think scoring first is a curse for this team.

Thorburn was great in the ring and I enjoyed the first 40 minutes. PP was awful again, I don't know what they can do to change that but I hope they figure it out fast.

Wasn't the result I was hoping for since I cut work for the game but here's hoping we turn it around on Saturday.

Old
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Really? Ladd was one of the better forwards. Had several big hits, made some nice plays. He was one of the better forwards out there tonight.
I agree.

The guys you figure who should be threatening...Kane, Olli, Wheeler...they never did.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
SensibleGuy

Although he had two or three times tonight where I felt like screaming "SHOOOOOOT!!!!!"

...Enstrom that is.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Inflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ladd usually has at least a turnover a game, so at least today was an improvement. I didn't notice any of his hits and he did not set anything up in the offensive zone. I still stand by my invisible comment. Not a horrible game, but not a good game either.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Boreal

On second thought, watching Peluso rearrange Orr's facial features would have made this loss much more palatable.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:24 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
14 points in 11 games, yes ofcourse he blows, trade away the scrub
Tobias Enstrom only has 14 points in 11 games? He's crap... His job is not meant to score points it's to help his goalie from letting them go in. He's too one dimensional. I say we trade him for 1 dollar like Buffalo did to Ray Sheppard ... cause 30 goal scorers who score a career best 52 goals are junk. JUNK!

ENSTROM IS JUNK!!!

*jumps up and down and throws a tantrum* JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *huff huff*

Old
02-07-2013, 11:24 PM
SensibleGuy

Well, I really hope Buff and Bogo get back in the lineup fast. In fact now that I think about it this is sorta similar to when Buff was out last year. It seemed like our offense couldn't do anything for that month or whatever it was...

Old
02-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Kirk Penton

Quote:
Noel said he will be making changes to his top two lines and power play. Scary part is he's already done it.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Ladd usually has at least a turnover a game, so at least today was an improvement. I didn't notice any of his hits and he did not set anything up in the offensive zone. I still stand by my invisible comment. Not a horrible game, but not a good game either.
He blew up one TOR defenseman in particular in the neutral zone. He was in on the forecheck quite often creating turnovers for Little and Burmistrov. Active game for him on the ice creating turnovers. I'd argue he was the best Jets forward. Not that it is saying all that much, none of them were particularly great, but he was solid. Ladd, Little, Antropov were about the only forwards with average to above average games. Not good game for any other Jet forward, IMO. Maybe Thorburn for destroying McLaren's face. But nobody was particularly bad either.

Honestly, I don't think the Jets played that bad, as this thread would suggest. They played solid, but just let up in the 3rd for a few minutes and it cost them. Otherwise not a bad game.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
White Out 403*

I have to say I'm starting to become really weary of Pavalec apologists trying to constantly excuse away his marginal goaltending. That fat contract of his is money that could have been put towards a forward or defenceman, instead, we have a goaltender ranked dead last in save % for starters and in the 50's for the whole league.

Postma had a rough game, but that can be forgiven. Very excited about Redmond. Feeling kind of numb about the game, and starting to realize that we're still very much lost in the desert. It's deflating.

edit: Not really sure where the Enstrom hate is coming from. Maybe the rough turnover that lead to a goal against the Islanders (or was it Montreal?). Defense wasn't an issue here. 15 shots is childsplay for NHL goaltenders

Old
02-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...

Blaming Pavs for this loss isn't really fair. No he wasn't great (once again), but the Jets slowly declined over the course of that game. Like Lynk said, the best they looked was in the opening 5 minutes, when they did a good job pressuring the Leafs. They sustained a decent defensive game for the next 45 minutes, then they just looked gassed in the final 10.

So frustrating. Our top two lines have been all over the map, there's shifts where they're playing fast and crisp, and then shifts where they can't even make a simple 10 foot pass or get the puck to hard areas.

PP was a gong show today, Enstrom was way too methodical with his entries. Leafs had all day to set up, never once were they put back on their heels.

Strange game in that no Jet really played terrible, but beyond Litts and Redmond, nobody had a good game either.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Espirit

Nothing wrong with Enstroms play, although I wish he'd shoot more, but with buff out, teams know to focus on him cause hes the focal point non creative pp, which makes it so much harder on our players

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Howard Chuck

At least we will draft high! Yay!!!!

Old
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM
ps241
Good luck Josh

Just got back from the game

we really miss Buff. I am never going to Advocate trading him again. With him we have a bit of a swagger and unpredictability and he seems to be the guy the PP flows through at least from a confidence factor.

Very defensive game both ways and it felt at times like we were playing a road game. Leaf fans were not an issue and although they were there in numbers they were a bit quite which is probably because they trailed most of the game.

Little played great.

Kane can't be on the 1st PP unit and we might need to reunite LLW.

Toby had a clean game defensively.

I thought Poni played pretty well until the penalty......good hustle.

Redmond looked really solid although he lost his assignment on the 2nd leafs goal.

Leafs play with allot better structure this year.

Welly got benched late for Thor and Kyle is in a funk or at least he missed a couple of shifts.

We didn't play well and neither did the leafs but we were in a position to win and dropped the ball.

Weirdly I wasn't as mad as usual or emotionally invested tonight.... I was frustrated but kind of lethargic and usually I snap when we lose?

I don't think we are that good a team.....we are not terrible but we are a bottom 10 team.

Although it wasn't Pavs fault per say we need his save % to be much better if we want to compete.

Kessel had to break out against the slump busters......it's what we do for better or worse.

I am now 0-2 with my new Jets Jersey This year and 1-2 at home.

How about that Pittsburgh Game wasn't that one great

Old
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Lorenzo1000

Power play and penalty kill are brutal. They look absolutely confused out there...coincidentally that's Perry Pearn's responsibility. Starting to wonder if that was why the Habs gave him the heave ho as it's only been getting worse over the year.

Pavelec's 3 goals against...moronic giveaway by Postma at the blue line on the PP leads to a breakaway. Frattin skates through his pads while he's trying to stop the puck...defenseman nowhere to be found...I've seen goalie interference called for way less than that this year. Kessel laser to the top corner.

I believe that people on here have to realize that team play is a lot more important than you think. Individual play will never win you games. The Jets stopped playing their game and tried to protect the lead instead of getting the puck deep and taking the play to the Leafs. Poni get's called for a questionable hold and Bob's your Uncle.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Can't blame Pavs for this one at all, those are all incredibly tough stops to make. I actually thought he looked sharp tonight after the start, the second goal was border line interference and Phil Kessel can beat any goalie with his snapper.

Thought we played a solid game defensively for 55 minutes, before **** decided to hit the fan. Our offense is putrid, not once did we sustain any amount of pressure in their zone. Kane Jokinen Wheeler need to be broken up imo.

Zach Redmond is a keeper, moved past Postma and Clitsome on the depth chart in my eyes, hopefully Claude's too.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Ok never mind, our forwards were alive!

Clitsome's goal has been changed to Ladd's!
Capt Protractor with another deflection goal. Not the biggest fan of his game, but he does seem to have a gift for touching pucks @ 100mph.

I too felt there was not much danger coming from the forwards.
Joker - I like the guy’s attitude, but he has been non-existent.
Kane is not hard charging like he was last season, then again he does not need to get a big contract this season and teams have figured out how to block his quarter-circle hadouken move.
I am not seeing guys losing cover. Perhaps we should have had Scheifele stick around and start teaching the guys how to lose cover and get open...the kid seemed to be good at that.
Burmi played alright.
Redmond is turning out to be a bright spot.
Poni - WTF was that?
Stewie - Not in a tight game man

We can't win when the team is not clicking, and they are not clicking.
Pavs looked ok, but needs to step it up. I agree with those that said elite goalies make hard saves consistently, and Pavs is not playing that way. I am now at the point when a shot goes on the net I cringe.

Bottom line is this; the team looks timid, apprehensive. So worried about turnovers , mistakes or taking penalties that they end up being too hesitant and then end up turning it over, not getting it out of their end or taking a bad penalty.
I am not of those that think this is the coach’s fault; he only works with what he has.
But someone needs to light a fire under the boy’s backsides.

Closed Thread