HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Vanek's Success: How Much Credit Does CoHo Deserve?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Cody is playing well but Vanek did have a pretty similar start last year on Luke Adam's wing. The guy is streaky and when he gets hot his linemates benefit. It will be interesting to see how CoHo plays when Vanek cools off.
I thought that too. As long as the (assumed) slump lasts a few games and CoHo will be able to learn from it and snap back into current form or better.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

as others have mentioned, adam was ppg through ten games last year. i'm going to reserve judgment on hodgson until the halfway mark of the season, but i don't expect him to implode the way adam did at all. it's fairly obvious that vanek performs best when he controls the puck, so in that sense hodgson has done a good job of staying out of his way and going to the net.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:55 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Those with anti CoHo agendas can't comprehend, recognize, or appreciate his efforts.
I have a hard time feeling as though we really do actually have a long term solution to Vanek's center when the best we can do is "he stays out of Vanek's way." He's shown promise, but I need to see a lot more before I'm sold on him.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I have a hard time feeling as though we really do actually have a long term solution to Vanek's center when the best we can do is "he stays out of Vanek's way." He's shown promise, but I need to see a lot more before I'm sold on him.
funny, that with all the reasons posted (drives the net, creates space, right handed distribution, finisher, etc) that you focused on the "stays out of the way" comment...

oh right... agendas

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Watching the PP tonight early on in the 1st I felt Ennis was over skating and puck handling taking away chances from Vanek. I think that the main reason Cody on on PP2 is so that we have at least a chance to score on PP2.

Cody, Vanek, and Pommers make fast decisions are always looking to push he play together instead of one player over handling. Cody is a big part of that lines success.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
thekenneth

judging off this game, vanek makes the people he plays with look good. I mean ennis and ott had pretty good games and all. coho is doing great don't get me wrong/

thekenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I think the biggest factor is that the offense needs to run through Vanek. Probably any skilled center who can play strongly away from the puck in the offensive zone would compliment Vanek well.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
funny, that with all the reasons posted (drives the net, creates space, right handed distribution, finisher, etc) that you focused on the "stays out of the way" comment...

oh right... agendas
Creates space? Finisher? LOL What? Kid has 25 Career Goals and the qualifies him as a finisher? No doubt he drives the net but he hasn't created any of the goals he has thus far (as a Sabre). I'm sorry when you get 2 the bounce off of you (not even your stick) and 2 from driving the net you aren't finisher.

Hodgson's best move is throwing the puck to Vanek or Pominville.... tonight was actually the first time I saw him create a play (wasn't a goal but good effort). But what about his poor defensive play? Poor faceoff percentage? I'm just not seeing it (and all the same things were said about Adam last year too)

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Creates space? Finisher? LOL What? Kid has 25 Career Goals and the qualifies him as a finisher? No doubt he drives the net but he hasn't created any of the goals he has thus far (as a Sabre). I'm sorry when you get 2 the bounce off of you (not even your stick) and 2 from driving the net you aren't finisher.

Hodgson's best move is throwing the puck to Vanek or Pominville.... tonight was actually the first time I saw him create a play (wasn't a goal but good effort). But what about his poor defensive play? Poor faceoff percentage? I'm just not seeing it (and all the same things were said about Adam last year too)
If you can't see the difference between Hodgson and Adam, you might need to get your eyes checked. Hodgson's left foot has better hockey sense than all of Luke Adam.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:

I see things the same way, but of course, when you disagree with Jame about who the best center on this team is, it's an "agenda" and you aren't "credible."

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I see things the same way, but of course, when you disagree with Jame about who the best center on this team is, it's an "agenda" and you aren't "credible."
Poor strawman, 3/10.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

if you are watching Hodgson, and think that what he is doing on the ice "looks" like what Adam did last year, then conversing about the game of hockey with you would be pointless

Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
of course you do

Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
slip

In fact, I think Hodgson and Vanek look so good together I'm tempted to flip Stafford and Poms just for the sake of experimentation in a last ditch effort to manufacture a second scoring line. I mean, if we suck so bad (and I think we do) then who cares if you break up the best line for a couple of games?

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
If you can't see the difference between Hodgson and Adam, you might need to get your eyes checked. Hodgson's left foot has better hockey sense than all of Luke Adam.
Correct.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Title says it all.
You have an agenda and hate it that it's not in your favor. Whatever...

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Girgenburger

Roy was too much of a dangler. I think Vanek is benefitting from the fact that Hodgson's game isn't pretty, but effective. He just goes to the net.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Havok89

Cody Hodgson centers the first line on this team, but Tyler Ennis is the teams best center. Ennis and Vanek create their own offense, a main reason Ennis put up 49 points as a rookie playing most of the year with Niedermayer and Grier. This kid gets criminally underrated in Buffalo, most of the fanbase wanted him traded or forgot about him during his high ankle sprain early last season.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Cody Hodgson centers the first line on this team, but Tyler Ennis is the teams best center. Ennis and Vanek create their own offense, a main reason Ennis put up 49 points as a rookie playing most of the year with Niedermayer and Grier. This kid gets criminally underrated in Buffalo, most of the fanbase wanted him traded or forgot about him during his high ankle sprain early last season.
He was good tonight, he needs to keep it simple and just keep his feet moving. When he does that, he's very effective, when he tries to get cute and just dangle all over the place, that's when he makes me face palm.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
He was good tonight, he needs to keep it simple and just keep his feet moving. When he does that, he's very effective, when he tries to get cute and just dangle all over the place, that's when he makes me face palm.
No arguement there. He's a small guy who uses his speed and stick handling to create chances. He's still young and he will improve and play less fancy, he already has since his rookie season.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Tyler Ennis is the teams best center.
I couldn't disagree more.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:33 PM
McTank

Maybe 4-5 more points, vanek is in the zone and would be doninating either way right now but hodgson looks like he will be a good fit for vanek

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Luceni

It will be interesting to see how vanek can benefit from Poms & Hodgson when he falls back down to earth (point production wise).

At the moment, the first line works because Vanek is dominating and Pominville & Hodgson are passengers. I hope when vanek cools down (yeah, it will happen) Hodgson & Jpoms are able to carry that line too.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:09 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Hard to say for certain. Maybe the best indicator would be how they play when separated. I seem to remember Ennis scoring tonight while playing with Vanek, has Hodgson scored without Vanek or Pomers on the ice?

I'm not trolling, I really don't know.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
At the moment, the first line works because Vanek is dominating and Pominville & Hodgson are passengers.
Just because Pominville and Hodgson aren't playing as incredibly as Vanek doesn't make them passengers. That especially goes for Pominville, who has been his typical excellent self. Hodgson has been the "worst" of the three, but offensively, he looks the part of a legit top six center.