HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So how about Mrazek

Old
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

vCash: 500
So how about Mrazek

So he had his first NHL game tonight. I thought overall he played better than expected. Didn't get tested too much but rose to the occasion when he did. My question is do you guys think KH will keep him up? What do you do with Gustafsson? I've been following him most of the year since he joined the Griffins and became an instant favorite. Since Gustafsson is currently injured I would hope they keep him up but we have seen KH bring guys up and then send them back down. You think he could finish out this season with the wings?

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
smtevo

I would start him again on Saturday. The team looks good in front of him, why take that away.

smtevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
FlashyG

I doubt he finishes the season with the Wings seeing as they have 3 goalies on 1 way contracts.

I think he earned a second start this weekend though.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Thats My Hat

He's not going to finish the season with the Wings. Like FlashyG pointed out, we have 3 goalies under 1 way contracts. KH isn't going to send a guy through waivers to let a 1st year pro (no matter how good he's playing) play. Though I hope I'm wrong, I really like this guy.

But if he keeps up his pace, he'll definitely be the first goalie the Wings will call up in case of more injuries, and he'll be on the team sooner than most prospects. Maybe even next year or the year after.

Thats My Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:15 AM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats My Hat View Post
He's not going to finish the season with the Wings. Like FlashyG pointed out, we have 3 goalies under 1 way contracts. KH isn't going to send a guy through waivers to let a 1st year pro (no matter how good he's playing) play. Though I hope I'm wrong, I really like this guy.

But if he keeps up his pace, he'll definitely be the first goalie the Wings will call up in case of more injuries, and he'll be on the team sooner than most prospects. Maybe even next year or the year after.
Yea I can see that. I just want to see what everyone here overall thinks might happen. Obviously with KH you never know he likes to keep these guys down for a long time but if he makes a big impact you think that could change it at all? What did we pay for Gustafsson? Either way I just wanted to get some other peoples views and seems like from the GDT everyone was very satisfied with how he performed. Yes one game is a very small sample however I think a lot of us were nervous whether he was going to be able to step up to the plate and keep his composure especially against a team like the Blues who embarrassed us in the first game this year. At the end of the day lots of bright spots in this game compared to the last few.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:42 AM
sarcastro

He had a really good game, and I liked what I saw from the kid.

That being said, a whole lot of goalies would have had good games with the team playing like that in front of them. Including Howard.

He's not the answer to this team's problems, but he's definitely better than any of their other backups. The team will have to put this kind of effort forward every single night if any goalie is going to be successful.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:45 AM
P U L L H A R D

Jonas Gustavsson, with a v. He is on a 2 year deal worth $1.5M with a modified NTC. He will be in and out of the line up with health issues, or at least I am assuming so based on his time with the Leafs. If we let Joey Mac go this offseason then Mrazek can be our co-backup next year when Gus is hurt and Jimmy is tired, getting the bulk of the starts in Grand Rapids.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:46 AM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
He had a really good game, and I liked what I saw from the kid.

That being said, a whole lot of goalies would have had good games with the team playing like that in front of them. Including Howard.

He's not the answer to this team's problems, but he's definitely better than any of their other backups. The team will have to put this kind of effort forward every single night if any goalie is going to be successful.
Totally agree with that. I'm thinking maybe this was the so called "spark" to make it happen. However it needs to carry on from game to game not just once every five or so.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats My Hat View Post

I hope you're wrong.

No but really, anything but sending him down would be poor management. We finally have something that could be seen as some legit goaltending depth. Howard is a solid starter, Gustavsson is yet to play but he's an above average backup at worst, and Mrazek is starting to look more and more like a blue chip prospect. Short of having a Vezina goalie in net, this is ideal. Mrazek needs to play a lot of games and he'll do so with the Griffins at least this year and next. Squeeze a few NHL games in if/when someone goes down. When Gustavsson's contract is up and Mrazek has a couple of pro years under his belt, you re-evaluate the situation. If things go as planned, I see no reason why he couldn't be on the 14/15 goalie tandem. If he needs more time, you sign a free agent for a year. Goaltending is not something you rush, not even the best of them.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I hope you're wrong.

No but really, anything but sending him down would be poor management. We finally have something that could be seen as some legit goaltending depth. Howard is a solid starter, Gustavsson is yet to play but he's an above average backup at worst, and Mrazek is starting to look more and more like a blue chip prospect. Short of having a Vezina goalie in net, this is ideal. Mrazek needs to play a lot of games and he'll do so with the Griffins at least this year and next. Squeeze a few NHL games in if/when someone goes down. When Gustavsson's contract is up and Mrazek has a couple of pro years under his belt, you re-evaluate the situation. If things go as planned, I see no reason why he couldn't be on the 14/15 goalie tandem. If he needs more time, you sign a free agent for a year. Goaltending is not something you rush, not even the best of them.
Its funny that you say that but quite a few teams in the past couple years or so have been doing that and they start out fairly well a good example is varly and holtby. When they made their start they were pretty solid none the less. However if you look at the way varly has played this year his numbers aren't looking so hot, I do put some of the blame on lines though not making him out to be a schmuck. I just look at it this way do we still go by the keep them over ripe situation when we could possibly have a legit goalie. I mean all of us for the most part have been harping on getting gus, emmerton and tatar into the line up ya know or are goalies different? Mrazek has had a little taste do we run with it?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Jonas Gustavsson, with a v. He is on a 2 year deal worth $1.5M with a modified NTC. He will be in and out of the line up with health issues, or at least I am assuming so based on his time with the Leafs. If we let Joey Mac go this offseason then Mrazek can be our co-backup next year when Gus is hurt and Jimmy is tired, getting the bulk of the starts in Grand Rapids.
yeah sounds about right

then two years from now we can have a straight up tandem with Mrazek up full time and getting a decent number of starts in

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:17 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

The bigger thing is for him to continue to impress. I have been high on this kid for a while, even before the WJC when everyone else caught wind for the most part. He has something special, the kind of special I remember seeing with Rinne in Milwaukee. He is a top ten goalie in the future in my opinion, I really believe top 5 but don't want to be that much of a jerk on a 20 year old. Either way he is a legit number one in my opinion, the kid should eventually replace Pavelec as the #1 Czech goalie in 2018. This isn't off this start been a big Mrazek fan since first watching him with the 67's. Just has that it quality you see in top goalies.

He should start through next year in GR, if Howard leaves for a ridiculous term, let the kid have the net with Monster. The Wings actually have goaltending depth, especially with Paterson clipping along as Canada's #1 at the WJC next year. If Howard stick around we can trade him in a couple years. I want Mrazek as the future #1, but to be clear this is a huge advantage moving forward if we handle it right. Great to see him step up, not surprising either, the kid meets every challenge above what even his biggest fans think. Just an awesome prospect.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:41 AM
LeighDx13

Kinda had a feeling if anyone of our goalie prospects could be thrown into game action and suceed it would be Mrazek. My only worry was how the team was going to play in front of him. I can see him making the team in the next few years. No need to rush him, especially because we don't know what Gustavsson will bring to the team when healthy.

I'm more confident in Mrazek then MacDonald right now. I'd send MacDonald through waivers or try to move him. And Petr should definately get the nod saturday against the Oilers

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:14 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
The bigger thing is for him to continue to impress. I have been high on this kid for a while, even before the WJC when everyone else caught wind for the most part. He has something special, the kind of special I remember seeing with Rinne in Milwaukee. He is a top ten goalie in the future in my opinion, I really believe top 5 but don't want to be that much of a jerk on a 20 year old. Either way he is a legit number one in my opinion, the kid should eventually replace Pavelec as the #1 Czech goalie in 2018. This isn't off this start been a big Mrazek fan since first watching him with the 67's. Just has that it quality you see in top goalies.

He should start through next year in GR, if Howard leaves for a ridiculous term, let the kid have the net with Monster. The Wings actually have goaltending depth, especially with Paterson clipping along as Canada's #1 at the WJC next year. If Howard stick around we can trade him in a couple years. I want Mrazek as the future #1, but to be clear this is a huge advantage moving forward if we handle it right. Great to see him step up, not surprising either, the kid meets every challenge above what even his biggest fans think. Just an awesome prospect.
Same here, always been highon Mrazek. Lets see how it unfold but I think Howard should be getting nervous about his position on the team even if I like him too.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:09 AM
probertrules24

My guess is Howard is re-signed for 3 years leaving a tandem of him and Gust next year. Mrazek will be the starter in GR next year. The following year he will be brought up to be Howard's back up, then in year three he will have a 60/40 split with Howard the 60. At his point he will be ready to take over if needed.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsykiandeke View Post
Its funny that you say that but quite a few teams in the past couple years or so have been doing that and they start out fairly well a good example is varly and holtby. When they made their start they were pretty solid none the less. However if you look at the way varly has played this year his numbers aren't looking so hot, I do put some of the blame on lines though not making him out to be a schmuck. I just look at it this way do we still go by the keep them over ripe situation when we could possibly have a legit goalie. I mean all of us for the most part have been harping on getting gus, emmerton and tatar into the line up ya know or are goalies different? Mrazek has had a little taste do we run with it?
It always goes kind of a way that some new goalie looks like the next superstar. But after one season, he is scouted and teams know all his weaknesses. Then comes the real test, if you can keep your level on the 2nd and 3rd season and so on.

Mrazek looked good, there was nothing wrong in his effort. Good start is always a better start than a bad one.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Mrazek had a really solid effort. I love his poise. You wouldn't have guessed he was a 20-year-old starting in his first NHL game.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
JPE123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
Mrazek had a really solid effort. I love his poise. You wouldn't have guessed he was a 20-year-old starting in his first NHL game.
Great poise for a first NHL game. Team played well in front of him, I thought the D was best night of the season except Kronner who continues to disappoint.

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

I hope we see A LOT more of him. Howard needs somebody pushing him for starts. Too much job security doesn't do goalies any favors.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Shoalzie

You always need a "next one" in the system...he looks like he might be the "next one" after Howard because I've never been high on McCollum. They don't rush anyone to the NHL (as we painfully know) so he'll get plenty of time to mature in the AHL and you don't want to waste him as a backup playing minimally. Keep him up there while J-Mac or the Monster is down but get him plenty of reps with the Griffs when a regular backup is healthy. Very solid debut for the kid...and I do mean kid.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

I don't think that Howard should be worried. One game from a 20 year old in his first pro season does not make me believe, although it was a positive return. Howard started his first game in 2005 and did not really break in until 2009-10. I think we could see more of that from Mrazek, where he gets a few starts here or there for the next few years before replacing Howard. Although it is to early to say.

I love Howard and I think he is one of the more underrated goalies in the NHL. I can't see the Wings not resigning him for Mrazek unless Mrazek plays insane coming up for a few games. I think if you could get Jimmy Howard on like a three year deal and then transition Mrazek into a starter.

In the end it was a feel good debut but Mrazek is still only (almost) 21 and in his first pro season.

vannzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I hope we see A LOT more of him. Howard needs somebody pushing him for starts. Too much job security doesn't do goalies any favors.
That and if this team was in any kind of cap trouble I would hope he would get even more starts to see if re-signing Howard was even completely necessary.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That and if this team was in any kind of cap trouble I would hope he would get even more starts to see if re-signing Howard was even completely necessary.
In my ideal world, they can get Howard on a reasonable contract (assuming his numbers don't dramatically improve) and run a tandem with a 50/30 split to games. That should have both guys in game shape, but also rested for playoffs.

Then play the hot hand in the playoffs.

Everybody talks about Vancouver's goaltending "problem" but it's an amazing problem to have. Granted they'll have to move one for cap space next season, but for the time being, they are sitting pretty with two legitimate options. We haven't had that in Detroit since Osgood/Hasek, so it would be nice to get that rolling again.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
In my ideal world, they can get Howard on a reasonable contract (assuming his numbers don't dramatically improve) and run a tandem with a 50/30 split to games. That should have both guys in game shape, but also rested for playoffs.

Then play the hot hand in the playoffs.

Everybody talks about Vancouver's goaltending "problem" but it's an amazing problem to have. Granted they'll have to move one for cap space next season, but for the time being, they are sitting pretty with two legitimate options. We haven't had that in Detroit since Osgood/Hasek, so it would be nice to get that rolling again.
Thats because their problem is causing friction in the lockerroom (according to rumours).

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Thats because their problem is causing friction in the lockerroom (according to rumours).
Well I hope the Wings get some friction going and win 4 straight just like them.