HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS/NYI] Tim Thomas traded to Islanders for conditional 2nd in '14 or '15

Old
02-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Wow, bruins fans must be pretty happy. Sure they gave up a qulaity netminder for nothing, but that cap space is going to be huge at the trade deadline. Thomas was going to walk for nothing anyways so they eitehr get just the cap space or the cap space and a 2nd rounder, which is good either way. I think people are talking to much about the Islanders here as all they did was use a loophole to defeat the cap floor. The important thing here is the Bruins opened up a lot of options for a huge playoff run.

Let the rumours start. The bruins can now look at trading for one maybe two top quality players. How do you think Corey perry would look in a bruins uniform?

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Wow, bruins fans must be pretty happy. Sure they gave up a qulaity netminder for nothing, but that cap space is going to be huge at the trade deadline. Thomas was going to walk for nothing anyways so they eitehr get just the cap space or the cap space and a 2nd rounder, which is good either way. I think people are talking to much about the Islanders here as all they did was use a loophole to defeat the cap floor. The important thing here is the Bruins opened up a lot of options for a huge playoff run.

Let the rumours start. The bruins can now look at trading for one maybe two top quality players. How do you think Corey perry would look in a bruins uniform?
you better be prepared to give up a decent amount then

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post

Depends how Seguin will look in an ANA Uniform

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
aemoreira1981

I'm actually surprised that this wasn't done before---or that the Blues didn't consider this earlier (the Blues are even closer to the floor than the Islanders are), unless the Blues are near the 50-contract limit. There is no way that the Islanders will toll his deal.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

I'm surprised we havent seen more of these deals.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:24 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Depends how Seguin will look in an ANA Uniform
come on now.. we are not asking for seguin for a corey perry rental... lets be realistic here

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
mich25

I think I might be the only one who thinks this is great for the Islanders. They will have an elite goaltender playing for them next year. Thomas is a goaltender any team would be better off with on their team. Also a good trade for the B's looking at things as they currently stand for the B's. They are freeing up cap space and can go out and get another player. This doesn't hurt the B's with the way Rask has been playing...but if Rask....all dependent on Rask for me.

Tim is getting up there in age. Yes, but has his game declined at all? Absolutely not. He still has gas left in his tank. Do I expect his game to decline if he returns next year? No. He's too good of a goaltender and competitor for that to happen. There are lots of hockey players who sit out a year or many months due to injuries and come back stronger or just as well as before. A year isn't that big deal for athletes who have been in great condition for years IMO.

Do I think Thomas will be back? ABSOLUTELY. I have friends who have played with and know Thomas. He will be playing next year. I will bet everything I have on it. And he will be READY! He lives and loves hockey and has a lot left to give.

For a few years (before Thomas won the SC) there were a lot of trade rumors (valid ones) that the B's were looking to trade Thomas (as well as Marc Savard). Believe me when I said that fired him up and got under his skin to go out and prove to the B's organization something. And low and behold he goes out after all those trade rumors and wins the Cup for Boston. After Thomas not going to the White House and statements made to the media, trade rumors resurfaced again. So, probably sick of the B's having no real loyalty for Timmy he decides F the B's especially after what I did for the organization, and he decides to take a year off. Pretty much saying to the B's organization screw u. Trade me and get nothing in return from it. He will be back and will be back stronger than ever. I guarantee it!

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
From the TSN article

Is this a loophole that nobody has considered yet?

Can you just sign a guy who is 35+ to a deal worth lets say $10M, have him not report, count his cap hit and not need to spend the salary (I am assuming you would have to offer this player some sort of perk, side payments?)

You could endlessly bump your cap floor number without ever needing to pay that amount...
If Thomas retired, the cap hit would go away.

Call me crazy, but this seems odd. Radulov had a valid contract, but the Preds suspended him, thus they were able to toll his contract through to last season when he finally came back. But, Radulov was in his RFA years, not a 35+ contract.

As for Thomas ever playing for the Isles, just don't see it. Not worth it to have him on the roster for 1 year for a pick in the 30's or early 40's.

Besides, don't the Isles have young goalies like Poulin and a Finnish goalie they got in the early 2nd round in 2009? Aren't those guys almost ready?

I suspect the Isles will void the contract after the season. Salary is bearable, but not sense in moving a pick for him, but then again we are talking about the Islanders here.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post

Call me crazy, but this seems odd. Radulov had a valid contract, but the Preds suspended him, thus they were able to toll his contract through to last season when he finally came back. But, Radulov was in his RFA years, not a 35+ contract.

Did the Islanders not do the same with Nabokov? Was it a 35+ contract? I'm sure the NHL would step in but right now there's no real precedent.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Petes2424

Only the Islanders. Seriously?

Nice to see they're still paying Yashin over $2 million and now they have over $7 million of their floor being occupied by players that arent even around.

Kudos to the Bruins for finding a team to take his number off their books and give them a pick for it.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich25 View Post
I think I might be the only one who thinks this is great for the Islanders. They will have an elite goaltender playing for them next year. Thomas is a goaltender any team would be better off with on their team. Also a good trade for the B's looking at things as they currently stand for the B's. They are freeing up cap space and can go out and get another player. This doesn't hurt the B's with the way Rask has been playing...but if Rask....all dependent on Rask for me.

Tim is getting up there in age. Yes, but has his game declined at all? Absolutely not. He still has gas left in his tank. Do I expect his game to decline if he returns next year? No. He's too good of a goaltender and competitor for that to happen. There are lots of hockey players who sit out a year or many months due to injuries and come back stronger or just as well as before. A year isn't that big deal for athletes who have been in great condition for years IMO.

Do I think Thomas will be back? ABSOLUTELY. I have friends who have played with and know Thomas. He will be playing next year. I will bet everything I have on it. And he will be READY! He lives and loves hockey and has a lot left to give.

For a few years (before Thomas won the SC) there were a lot of trade rumors (valid ones) that the B's were looking to trade Thomas (as well as Marc Savard). Believe me when I said that fired him up and got under his skin to go out and prove to the B's organization something. And low and behold he goes out after all those trade rumors and wins the Cup for Boston. After Thomas not going to the White House and statements made to the media, trade rumors resurfaced again. So, probably sick of the B's having no real loyalty for Timmy he decides F the B's especially after what I did for the organization, and he decides to take a year off. Pretty much saying to the B's organization screw u. Trade me and get nothing in return from it. He will be back and will be back stronger than ever. I guarantee it!
Tim Thomas will never step on the ice for the Islanders. There is no good in this deal for the NYI..

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Tim Thomas will never step on the ice for the Islanders. There is no good in this deal for the NYI..
And Boston gets nothing back other than clearing his cap hit. So the Isles get his cap hit and gives them flexibility if they trade Vis, or Streit. And they give up nothing.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Karter

I can't think of a bigger "f__k you" than trading someone to the Islanders.

Karter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
mich25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Thomas will be back on the ice. He just didnt' want to be back on the ice in a B's uniform. He is not retiring. Just sit back and wait. Everyone will see. Islanders will be happy and will win this one.

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

will the isles need to dump salary?
if so, who?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:17 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Nope. The cap hit for 35+ yo contract - technically, the cap hit for "the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective)" - counts against the cap even if the player retires ("regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing").

Normally, if a player is suspended for non-reporting, their salary does not count against the cap. Thomas' does because this is the last year of the 4 year SPC Thomas signed in '09 when he was 35 yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Did the Islanders not do the same with Nabokov? Was it a 35+ contract? I'm sure the NHL would step in but right now there's no real precedent.
Nabby's wasn't considered a 35+ yo contract because it was not multi-year - the Wings signed him to a one year deal in Jan '11, then the Isles claimed him on Waivers, and he refused to report. The Isles suspended him and tolled his contract for the remained of '10-'11. He played out that 1 yr SPC in '11-'12 and became a UFA.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
I don't have a problem with this trade. Even though it's "circumventing"--a word people like to throw around--the CBA, they aren't breaking any rules. I just don't want to see any more Islander or Bruin fans complaining about how other teams have circumvented the CBA.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 02-08-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 AM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
If they did this to trade a vet at the deadline then Snow is a gutless puke. If your club is in the playoff mix, you compete. You don't plan to sell off your assets for picks, particularly when you yourself (Snow) put it out there that you were done with such moves.

This is a such a losers move, unless of course he moves Visnovsky for the most underpaid superprospect out there which necessitated the addition of 5 mill in phony money.

The 2013 NHL
29 teams vying for the cup
1 team trying to save money

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Nope. The cap hit for 35+ yo contract - technically, the cap hit for "the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective)" - counts against the cap even if the player retires ("regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing").

Normally, if a player is suspended for non-reporting, their salary does not count against the cap. Thomas' does because this is the last year of the 4 year SPC Thomas signed in '09 when he was 35 yo.

Nabby's wasn't considered a 35+ yo contract because it was not multi-year - the Wings signed him to a one year deal in Jan '11, then the Isles claimed him on Waivers, and he refused to report. The Isles suspended him and tolled his contract for the remained of '10-'11. He played out that 1 yr SPC in '11-'12 and became a UFA.
Bobby Mac said they could only toll his contract once, IIRC. Do you know why that would be? Surely there is something in place to prevent them from perpetually tolling the contract as long as Thomas doesn't retire.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:55 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
This is the political board. Where you discuss politics.

This is the trade board, where you discuss trades.

Now, I have no idea how this argument about republicans being racist came up, but, no, that discussion is not happening in this thread.

02-08-2013, 01:09 AM
MTechnik
Showtime

What a load of crap, cap circumvention and they're getting away wit it. If the Islanders want to get to the cap floor, how about doing it fairly and sign some free-agents that don't have jobs? I'm sure the PA will be happy about this!

What an embarrassment to the NHL.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
What a load of crap, cap circumvention and they're getting away wit it. If the Islanders want to get to the cap floor, how about doing it fairly and sign some free-agents that don't have jobs? I'm sure the PA will be happy about this!

What an embarrassment to the NHL.
What's the problem? Signing FAs who may have boat anchors or players they don't want? They want to reach the floor for the time being and have a chance to be more flexible going forward and going after players they may actually want instead of loading their lineup with plugs/ odds and ends

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:53 AM
GusTheo

These boards make me laugh with all these arm chair GM's.

I would love to know HOW this trade make the Islanders worse? There is no way the Islanders could possibly lose in this situation.

They have now ensured that if they are out of it by the deadline (highly likely) that they will have the freedom to trade anyone they want without having to worry about going under the floor. So they could actually collect assets going forward (picks/players).

For all the people who wanted Garth to go out and acquire a player who is actually playing to upgrade the team. Yea, because GM's are just lining up looking to trade with the Islanders and make them better. It's a two way street. When you call someone for a trade, they are looking to make their team better, not yours. You have no idea what phone calls Garth has or has not made. You rarely see trades during the season that put teams over the top, that aren't blockbuster trades. A trade like that isn't a reality for the Islanders. They aren't a player away from being a contender. How come the other 31 GM's didn't make a trade for some stud all star this week?

As for this specific trade, like I stated earlier, is a can't miss for the Islanders.

If Thomas decides to show up, they're getting one of the best goalies in the league for a 2nd round pick. If he decides to continue sitting out (which he is) he will stay suspended, the Islanders don't pay him a dime, affords them the luxury of trading away their UFAs and be done with it. They still own his rights, and if they decide to toll his contract, and he does come back next year than that brings us back to square one, the Islanders getting a stanley cup winning goalie for a 2nd rounder.

Cap circumventing? Good luck proving that. If you ask anyone, they'd want Tim Thomas over the cap ramifications. The Islanders would have a legit chance at the playoffs if he decided to suit it. I'll take that any day of the week.

It would've been stupid of the Islander to NOT make this move. Get over yourselves armchair GM's. Maybe you need to spend a little more time outside.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
At first, I was in utter shock when I saw Thomas was actually traded, mainly because I was surprised he is no longer a Boston Bruin after so many years.

It's a unique trade; we've never really seen one like this before but it makes complete sense for both teams and signals quite possibly that both teams could have moves in plan for the near future. I'm more concerned with the Islanders than the Bruins right now. I read the first eight pages but I didn't really find an answer. Why exactly MUST the Isles be at the cap floor by today as opposed to any other day? Makes me think something's going down.

Really though, I agree with the posters who said the Islanders did this because they want to be able to trade their own players for prospects/picks and not have to take any cap dumps back in the trades, that way they don't have to pay any of that extra salary, saving Wang money. Plenty of times we've seen that happen. Brian Pothier in the deadline trade for Corvo a few years ago was a cap dump and obviously the rest of his actual salary was paid by the Canes. By getting Thomas, the Isles don't have to take a cap dump back in trades that require some significant cap being moved out because Thomas gives them $5M in extra cap space, and, most importantly, they don't pay him a dime either because he's suspended. He won't play and they know it so they lose neither the pick nor actual money and they can make trades freely for futures assuming they are sellers, which they likely will be. They can even toll the contract and have that hit for next year too, enabling them to operate this way for the next year and a half. The only question I have is why the Isles needed to add to the cap now in particular. There has to be some sort of move planned to move some cap out soon that they bothered getting Thomas at this time. Regardless of what happens, Snow and the Isles are not idiots for this one. They're quite smart actually. There's absolutely no way this trade does anything but help them and all it does is help the Bruins too. There is no loser.

Chiarelli said himself by ridding themselves of Thomas that the Bruins can now freely make moves to acquire other players if said moves are out there and present themselves to Boston and make sense for the team. Chiarelli's happy with his team, as he should be, but if a player becomes available and a move can be made that makes sense and makes the team better, he can now easily pull the trigger and not have to worry about the cap.

Crappy way for Thomas' days as a Bruin to end but he wasn't part of their plans anymore and that was that, partly because of his own doing. Still, you would never have thought a guy that brought that franchise so much would end up in this situation but that's how it went. Bruins have moved on without Thomas and his days in Boston are over. Again, really sad way to end it that way but for both teams, this is a genius trade that actually helps both. Really amazing when you piece it all together and realize how smart it is and why it was made.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

We might see a Streit or Visnovsky trade in the near future.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote