HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should start against the Sens? Bonus question: How do we handle Pavelec's starts?

View Poll Results: Who should start in Ottawa?
Pavelec 30 53.57%
Montoya 20 35.71%
Dekanich 0 0%
Pasquale 6 10.71%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Inflict
Viking

vCash: 500
Who should start against the Sens? Bonus question: How do we handle Pavelec's starts?

Do you think that Pavelec should sit the next game? If Montoya (or someone else) posts a win, should he receive another start or should we go back with Pavelec in Philly?

Edit: Forgot to give me own opinion. I would like to see Montoya with the start, especially since it is a back to back game in the afternoon. With regards to Pavelec's starts, I am of the mind to ride the hot hand and demote Pavelec as a 1A/1B starter (assuming we can get reasonable starts from someone else in the organization).

Last edited by Inflict: 02-08-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:50 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
Voted for Pavd give him a chance to rebound and we are without our top 2 d men.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Resurrection

48th in the league save %

The only goaltender with a worse save % and a starter is Kipper in Calgary. I dunno. Montoya certainly isn't a reliable option as a starter so put Pavs back in and pray he works through it.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I miss Ma$e.

On that note, I also miss Johan Hedberg.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:20 AM
ghost88*

Put Pavs in with an XXXXL sized glove and hope that he trips over himself enough times to get the saves needed to win.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:11 AM
mattcooke649

Whats with the Pav hate around the boards lately? i love the jets but am i realist. We aren't making playoffs(but i hope we do), were without our top 2 D and playing with 1 that should be in the A(Clitsome). He is a good young Goalie, once we get the team starting to be built like it should he will be an above average Goalie. We gotta give him some slack a little bit.

mattcooke649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:17 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcooke649 View Post
Whats with the Pav hate around the boards lately? i love the jets but am i realist. We aren't making playoffs(but i hope we do), were without our top 2 D and playing with 1 that should be in the A(Clitsome). He is a good young Goalie, once we get the team starting to be built like it should he will be an above average Goalie. We gotta give him some slack a little bit.
There are only so many excuses one can make for one of the worse goaltenders in the league statistically. Based solely on his performance the past few games, any other team in the league would have went to their backup by now. That is not a luxury we can afford apparently.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:25 AM
mattcooke649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
There are only so many excuses one can make for one of the worse goaltenders in the league statistically. Based solely on his performance the past few games, any other team in the league would have went to their backup by now. That is not a luxury we can afford apparently.
But if you watch most games like i do. You would see that he is definitely more important to this team then his numbers show. Look at last year for example, he was arguably our best player, kept us in a lot of games even tho our team played poorly. we would of been a bottom 5 team the last 2 years without him. Right now i can agree that he isn't stealing any games for us, but he usually makes the 1st save(after that its the Defense that needs to help him out and clear those rebounds). So i am putting most(not all, there been 1 or 2 bad pave games) on team Defense and PK. Once those improves i guarantee he will have his number around .910-.915

mattcooke649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
But if you watch most games like i do. You would see that he is definitely more important to this team then his numbers show. Look at last year for example, he was arguably our best player, kept us in a lot of games even tho our team played poorly. we would of been a bottom 5 team the last 2 years without him. Right now i can agree that he isn't stealing any games for us, but he usually makes the 1st save(after that its the Defense that needs to help him out and clear those rebounds). So i am putting most(not all, there been 1 or 2 bad pave games) on team Defense and PK. Once those improves i guarantee he will have his number around .910-.915
You are wearing beer goggles or you are actually Pavelec in disguise .

But seriously, you can't compare this year's Pavelec to last year's. He is playing much worse then he did when Buff + Bogo went down last year.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:37 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

clearly Pavelec

still can't believe the unjust hate he receives

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
The problem is, the way this team plays in front of him, he would have to play like a top
5 goalie for us to win games.

Interesting point Lynk. I wonder if the lack of a veteran presence is hurting Pavs. This is the first year we haven't had a veteran goalie on the team.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:25 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
The Jets held the Leafs and Panthers to an average of 18 shots against and I thought they largely prevented top notch scoring chances. All in all I think the D has been ok.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Ziggy66

Pavs without a doubt. If he cracks then big Al. It is going to be a tough game against Ottawa, even without Spezza they are looking good.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Prot

vCash: 100
I picked Montoya but here's why:

Pavelec IS #1 in my mind. But the amount of times he's been scored on with Hainsey's ass in his face is probably equal to the amount of times he's been beaten, going down, on a glove high shot.

Ottawa gives the Jets something they can't handle (usually), strategy. And a clogged neutral zone. As usual Noel will have no plan for this, so it's a tough game to start with.

Since Pav has to feel frustrated, and Noel wants to shake it up, this is as good a game as any to give Montoya some reps.

Ottawa does the two things that are almost instant win recipes against the jets; trap zone and shoot high glove. There's no reason to not give Montoya some time to get his stride and challenge for a starting job.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
sully1410

I voted Pavs. He looked pretty decent last game, and I think it's going to get better.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
TroubaFan1

Pavs will be just fine, I promise.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I voted Pav because he is still the Jets best goalie and they really need to get him rolling.
  • Big Al isn't very good.
  • Dex has struggled out east.
  • Pasquale is still a couple years away from being the Jets starter.
I would understand giving Pav a night off, but he has always struggled after multiple days of rest so they are probably better off keeping him busy.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Soble

Pavs has s*cked blue****s against the Sens. Last year gave up 16 goals in 3 games (actually maybe 14, think 2 empty netters) and another 4 on opening day. Last year we shut-out Ottawa with Ma$e.

You can call me Al.

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
I haven't been high on Pavs ever. Felt he was way overated last season (I remember one thread about him being a Vezina candidate).

With that said, I personally don't get the increase of hate after the Leafs game. Don't particularily blame him for any of the goals.

Asd for the question. I never want to see him play in back to back games. Give Montoya a chance to play more often. Right now Pavs knows he's the solid number one. Some goalies need to play scared of losing their job to perform better. IF he plays a stinker don't play him the next game.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
The goal-tending is going to continue to appear overly shaky until they are able to shore up the D; a correlation that some of you are missing, apparently.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:21 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soble View Post
Pavs has s*cked blue****s against the Sens. Last year gave up 16 goals in 3 games (actually maybe 14, think 2 empty netters) and another 4 on opening day. Last year we shut-out Ottawa with Ma$e.

You can call me Al.
Sens own Pavs so my vote was with Montoya

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
mondena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Sens own Pavs so my vote was with Montoya
I agree with this

mondena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The goal-tending is going to continue to appear overly shaky until they are able to shore up the D; a correlation that some of you are missing, apparently.
Postma boo boos aside, the Jets D wasn't that bad last night and I really haven't see the D as a big issue this year.

The Jets are allowing the 11th fewest shots against and have allowed an average of 18 shots against over the last two games despite playing without Buff and Bogo.

The early PK was awful, but the goalie makes the D look bad every bit as much as the reverse it true.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Postma boo boos aside, the Jets D wasn't that bad last night and I really haven't see the D as a big issue this year.

The Jets are allowing the 11th fewest shots against and have allowed an average of 18 shots against over the last two games despite playing without Buff and Bogo.

The early PK was awful, but the goalie makes the D look bad every bit as much as the reverse it true.
You keep posting this. The quality of shots against is the concern, not quantity. At least with Buff and Bogo there teams are mostly boxed outside. Now it is a parade of breakaways, point-blank opportunities, and guys crowding the net. The D core is currently an AHL-level group overall. Guys are playing in positions above their grade because two out of the top three D are injured.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You keep posting this. The quality of shots against is the concern, not quantity. At least with Buff and Bogo there teams are mostly boxed outside. Now it is a parade of breakaways, point-blank opportunities, and guys crowding the net. The D core is currently an AHL-level group overall. Guys are playing in positions above their grade because two out of the top three D are injured.
Personally I haven't seen anything that's of a higher quality than any other goalie faces from time-to-time.

I agree with someone who posted above that Pav's hasn't really been good for a lot of games last year and this year, but the game against Toronto wasn't really one of those.

I'm sorry but honestly a LOT of the goals against have not been "quality" chances (in other games). You look around at other teams and all of them let stuff like that and some of them just as often as we do.

Pavelec is not yet an average NHL starter. But, I think Montoya is most likely worse, Pasquale isn't ready (and may never be a true NHL starter) and Dekanich still hasn't returned to pre-injury form.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote