HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS/NYI] Tim Thomas traded to Islanders for conditional 2nd in '14 or '15

Old
02-08-2013, 03:48 AM
GusTheo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
We might see a Streit or Visnovsky trade in the near future.
If they fall out of contention, they certainly have that ability thanks to this "stupid" move.

Garth is so dumb, doesn't he know that Wayne Gretzky is available.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:17 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
These boards make me laugh with all these arm chair GM's.

I would love to know HOW this trade make the Islanders worse? There is no way the Islanders could possibly lose in this situation.

They have now ensured that if they are out of it by the deadline (highly likely) that they will have the freedom to trade anyone they want without having to worry about going under the floor. So they could actually collect assets going forward (picks/players).

For all the people who wanted Garth to go out and acquire a player who is actually playing to upgrade the team. Yea, because GM's are just lining up looking to trade with the Islanders and make them better. It's a two way street. When you call someone for a trade, they are looking to make their team better, not yours. You have no idea what phone calls Garth has or has not made. You rarely see trades during the season that put teams over the top, that aren't blockbuster trades. A trade like that isn't a reality for the Islanders. They aren't a player away from being a contender. How come the other 31 GM's didn't make a trade for some stud all star this week?

As for this specific trade, like I stated earlier, is a can't miss for the Islanders.

If Thomas decides to show up, they're getting one of the best goalies in the league for a 2nd round pick. If he decides to continue sitting out (which he is) he will stay suspended, the Islanders don't pay him a dime, affords them the luxury of trading away their UFAs and be done with it. They still own his rights, and if they decide to toll his contract, and he does come back next year than that brings us back to square one, the Islanders getting a stanley cup winning goalie for a 2nd rounder.

Cap circumventing? Good luck proving that. If you ask anyone, they'd want Tim Thomas over the cap ramifications. The Islanders would have a legit chance at the playoffs if he decided to suit it. I'll take that any day of the week.

It would've been stupid of the Islander to NOT make this move. Get over yourselves armchair GM's. Maybe you need to spend a little more time outside.
i dont think anyone is complaining because a playing tim thomas isnt worth a 2nd round pick. People are complaining because it's blatantly obvious that the isles are doing this for his cap hit with no salary this year and possibly next year.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 AM
JackJ

Snow should acquire Pronger and Savard.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Probably trading Visnovsky soon

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:11 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Staal View Post
Probably trading Visnovsky soon
Wang and his players are talking about pushing for a playoff spot this season.

There is no way Snow waves the white flag 10 games into the season.
Vis will stop the overworking of the top 3: Streit/Hamonic/MacDonald.

Impending ufas will be moved closer to the April 5th trade deadline, if the aren't in sniffing distance of a playoff spot.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:27 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Snow should acquire Pronger and Savard.

This.

I doubt Thomas ever suits up for the Islanders. Trade bait to a Stanley Cup Contender at the deadline,IMO.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
This.

I doubt Thomas ever suits up for the Islanders. Trade bait to a Stanley Cup Contender at the deadline,IMO.
I'm not familiar with the new CBA but I'm thinking this gives them the flexibility to demote DP and bring up Poulin. They are overworking Nabby and it shows.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:25 AM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Move makes so much sense for both teams. Bruins free cap space for a player that has no intention of playing so they can load up to try and win another cup. Islanders allow themselves a buffer where they could trade a player or two and get futures back without falling below the cap floor.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:50 AM
dashripdot

If the Isles sign Avery they'll guarantee no pick going back to Boston. Team chemistry!

dashripdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

can't believe theNHL let this go through.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:57 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflstomper View Post
Islanders allow themselves a buffer where they could trade a player or two and get futures back without falling below the cap floor.
and garth can actually take salary back in a trade now. not a whopping, outragous salary...but now he has some room to work with.

heres a question i have for you kids........if you trade for a player that you know has no intention of playing this year, can you toll his contract? i dont think the league or the players associaton would allow that.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:08 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Isles cap was $49m before this trade.

Opposing team fans are speculating/hoping Streit and Vis are moved. Which would make TT contract, the only thing keeping the NYI above the $44m cap floor.

However, nothing Wang, Snow or Cappy has said indicates Streit or Vis will be moved, while the isles are in the race.

This move was made with an eye towards what if scenerios:what if the team's out of it at the trade deadline and Snow's getting offers for both impending ufas?

Old
02-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Jeremy Jacobs.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
CREW99AW

I hadn't thought of the Vis angle. He's saying his kid's procedure's a minor one.
Hopefully, it all goes smoothly.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4583677

The deal for Thomas, in which the Islanders gave up a conditional second-round pick in either 2014 or 2015 to the Bruins, is purely a salary-cap transaction. As of Friday, the 20th day of the league season, all teams must be cap- compliant, which means over the $44.3-million floor.

The Islanders activated Lubomir Visnovsky yesterday after he passed his physical, which made them compliant. The move for Thomas, who carries a $5-million cap hit despite his being suspended by the Bruins, guards against Visnovsky's possible departure to tend to his son, who is due to have surgery in Slovakia this weekend. Thomas' cap hit still counts because the four-year, $20-million contract he signed in 2009 is an over-35 deal, which means the cap hit still is active even if the player is not.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Islanders are obliged to trade one of those vets to the Bruins for Carl Soderberg

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Islanders are obliged to trade one of those vets to the Bruins for Carl Soderberg
I'll drive Reasoner to the airport

Old
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Jonathan17
Trollface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles cap was $49m before this trade.

Opposing team fans are speculating/hoping Streit and Vis are moved. Which would make TT contract, the only thing keeping the NYI above the $44m cap floor.

However, nothing Wang, Snow or Cappy has said indicates Streit or Vis will be moved, while the isles are in the race.

This move was made with an eye towards what if scenerios:what if the team's out of it at the trade deadline and Snow's getting offers for both impending ufas?
Yes, and if TT does not report (and I'd be surprised if he did), they can toll his contract to next year, which means they can be more comfortable amnestying Dipietro's contract next summer and still make the min floor.

Jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan17 View Post
Yes, and if TT does not report (and I'd be surprised if he did), they can toll his contract to next year, which means they can be more comfortable amnestying Dipietro's contract next summer and still make the min floor.
Staples who's reporting on Nabby was spot on and who's reporting on the Vis situation was spot on, has reported that the isles don't intend to toll TT's contract, for the same reason he said they wouldn't toll Vis contract: Isles want their budget freed up this summer. They are expecting a lot of player movement in the nhl between teams getting under the lowered cap, buyouts and ufas.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Nolanitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
We might see a Streit or Visnovsky trade in the near future.
If the Isles plummet to the bottom again you could bank on Visnovsky going. Streit maybe, but he is the captain and it would depend on whether the Isles/Streit want to remain together.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
leeroggy

Without reading every post here and being sorry if this is a repeat:

Signing Thomas allows the team to buyout DP in the summer from a cap standpoint. If they can then sign some players in the off-season they can release Thomas to get back to their salary budget. If they can't sign players they still have DP off the books and utilize Thomas' cap hit with the possibility he actually decides to play next season. A Thomas-Nabakov tandem immediately makes the Isles a stronger team in 2013-14.

leeroggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Clearly a conspiracy.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
smack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Jeremy Jacobs.
I really don't get why the people think there is something wrong with this trade. Tim Thomas is half a season removed from the NHL and has said all along that he was taking a year off and not retiring. As such, he still is a viable NHL asset and can be traded. This isn't like trading Savard or Pronger who will never play again.

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
22Brad Park

The Isles were in danger if Visnovsky never reported hitting cap floor.This protects them by adding Thomas and they can always make move later if need be.I think it was smart move.They not winning nothing this yr anyhow.Helps Bruins too

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I hadn't thought of the Vis angle. He's saying his kid's procedure's a minor one.
Hopefully, it all goes smoothly.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.4583677

The deal for Thomas, in which the Islanders gave up a conditional second-round pick in either 2014 or 2015 to the Bruins, is purely a salary-cap transaction. As of Friday, the 20th day of the league season, all teams must be cap- compliant, which means over the $44.3-million floor.

The Islanders activated Lubomir Visnovsky yesterday after he passed his physical, which made them compliant. The move for Thomas, who carries a $5-million cap hit despite his being suspended by the Bruins, guards against Visnovsky's possible departure to tend to his son, who is due to have surgery in Slovakia this weekend. Thomas' cap hit still counts because the four-year, $20-million contract he signed in 2009 is an over-35 deal, which means the cap hit still is active even if the player is not.
exactly,People all yelling things here etc and no idea why they even did this move,Just read rules folks concerning cap etc.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
umwoz

Simple theory. This adds cap space such that they can trade away another asset and stay cap compliant.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote