HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Orginzational Weakness - Goaltending Depth: How To Fix It

Old
02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
Biggest Orginzational Weakness - Goaltending Depth: How To Fix It

Its been an issue for a while, but we lose Price for any amount of time we have nothing in the pipeline that we could count on, tonight's game was just a sampling.

We can address the long term need by using one of the three second round picks on a goalie in what is considered a deep goalie draft; especially goalie's coming out of the Q this year. I hope Timmins and his staff are spending some extra time scouting goalies !

For the short term, we could try and sign a good backup like Theo for a 2 year contract.

Unfortunately, baring a trade deadline deal Budaj is probably here to stay for the rest of this year which thank god is also the end of his contract! I mean Bergie is good, but it's hard to trade a goalie with an GAA of 5ish and a Save Percentage of .78ish

hmmm... Anybody have Garth Snow's number? He may be worth a 1st rounder from the Islanders... He cheaper than Thomas and is actually a warm body.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 PM
SouthernHab

We are paying for the sins of our last GM. I am sure that this will be addressed either this season but most definitely during the offseason.

Not acceptable in Montreal to not have a pipeline of great goalies.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Bieber fever

Budja is actually a good goalie...but yeah he sucked recently

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 PM
DJ Breadman

Center is our biggest organizational need

DJ Breadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:41 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Tim Thomas is available

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Its been an issue for a while, but we lose Price for any amount of time we have nothing in the pipeline that we could count on, tonight's game was just a sampling.

We can address the long term need by using one of the three second round picks on a goalie in what is considered a deep goalie draft; especially goalie's coming out of the Q this year. I hope Timmins and his staff are spending some extra time scouting goalies !

For the short term, we could try and sign a good backup like Theo for a 2 year contract.

Unfortunately, baring a trade deadline deal Budaj is probably here to stay for the rest of this year which thank god is also the end of his contract! I mean Bergie is good, but it's hard to trade a goalie with an GAA of 5ish and a Save Percentage of .78ish

hmmm... Anybody have Garth Snow's number? He may be worth a 1st rounder from the Islanders... He cheaper than Thomas and is actually a warm body.
Those goalies?

Fucale, Desrosiers and Brassard (Éric).

Fucale is possibly a first rounder.

I'd really like the team to take a flyer on Brassard. But really not before the 6th round...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Yep. At the point where a team's BIGGEST need is a backup goaltender it's probably won a Stanley Cup and tuning up for a second.

Having said that tonight highlighted the fact that it's a position that could be improved.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I heard they drafted this Galchenyuk kid for that purpose.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Price plays a lot of games, so not many really good goaltenders would be willing to sign as his backup. The Habs hold on to older UFAs like Auld for a season or two but are likely to lose them to free agency. It's a fallacy to believe that the best goaltending prospects come from the Q. They come from all over, including Europe.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Forsead

Draft some goalies damnit, even if we have to trade them when they show they are good.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Goaltending always seems like a tough balance to handle. We can have two good goalies, which we have gone through many times before (Hackett/Theodore, Huet/Halak, Halak/Price), but there's always that cloud of controversy without the clear #1, or a young potential #1 coupled with Price today.

Then, if you get that franchise starter, its difficult to get a good backup to sign here, knowing that he won't get to play more than 15% of the games. Considering the circumstances, Budaj actually shouldn't be a bad fit, he has shown in colorado some decent flashes, and has the ability to be better.

I say we just ride his contract out, and hope that he can find his game, then reset next year, if it becomes clear that Budaj simply isn't able to adapt to this specific role.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:32 AM
OneSharpMarble

Forward is easily our weakest position. Cross your fingers and pray Collberg and Bozon don't bust.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Forward is easily our weakest position. Cross your fingers and pray Collberg and Bozon don't bust.
Our wing depth is pretty disgusting. Two of our top 4 wingers are on a pretty clear decline at this point and our best hopes in the system, Collberg, Bozon and Kristo, are over a year away from the NHL. I think Galchenyuk is going to really break out in late 2014, so I guess we should be planning for that.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 AM
GoHomez

Drafting a good goalie this year could actually make some sense. With Price being 25, drafting an 18 yo goalie means he is in his early-mid 20:is when Price turns 30ish.

Then again, drafting goalies is as hit and miss as it gets!

Going down the Euro path, I shamelessly pimp Joacim Eriksson:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9784

Let go by Philly as they thought Bobrovsky was their goalie of the future.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Guy Caballero

When you have a top-5 goalie, depth isn't a concern. Price is a machine. He can play almost every game, like Marty.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Our wing depth is pretty disgusting. Two of our top 4 wingers are on a pretty clear decline at this point and our best hopes in the system, Collberg, Bozon and Kristo, are over a year away from the NHL. I think Galchenyuk is going to really break out in late 2014, so I guess we should be planning for that.
I think we should go heavy into drafting forwards again this year picking 3 out of our first 4 picks in the forward position and 1 dman to keep a steady supply to the farm. Grab a goalie prospect in the third round if necessary and if we really need to replace Budaj grab another backup on the market. We better hold onto Eller with a death like grip at this point.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Galchenyuk-Pleks will be a viable 1-2 for years.

DD isn't long term, and there's no real no. 4 either, but 3-4 can be found out there.

What we need is a big, deadly winger, like a Shanahan in his prime (MaxPac?), to complement Galchenyuk, with Gallagher being the smallish St-Louis type on the other side (in a perfect world). They'll be unstoppable in a few years with Price and Subban on the back end.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
When you have a top-5 goalie, depth isn't a concern. Price is a machine. He can play almost every game, like Marty.
I don't like gambling like that, you never know who is going to be the next Dipietro and be destroyed by injuries. The best model to follow with goalies is Nashville, who put their future with Rinne - but that didn't stop them from producing a highly hyped backup in Lindback that they were able to ship off for picks.

If you produce more goalies, you give Price some healthy competition and have another trade asset. Otherwise your backup is journeymen and redemption projects like Auld and Budaj.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't like gambling like that, you never know who is going to be the next Dipietro and be destroyed by injuries. The best model to follow with goalies is Nashville, who put their future with Rinne - but that didn't stop them from producing a highly hyped backup in Lindback that they were able to ship off for picks.

If you produce more goalies, you give Price some healthy competition and have another trade asset. Otherwise your backup is journeymen and redemption projects like Auld and Budaj.
Actually I'd say Nashville is a bad example. Lindback was a 7th round pick. The odds of a 7th round pick becoming a viable NHL player are quite poor. You can't just "produce" goalies. A lot of luck is involved but I'm not against using a 3rd/4th round pick on one in the upcoming draft.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:28 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I was thinking this also. The lack of a top flight backup is hurting the team and will likely mean 44-45 starts for Price. I am not putting the blame solely on Budaj shoulders, but with 2 starts and 2 losses it ain't looking good, especially with a 4.33 gga and an .866 save %.

I would not be surprised if the team made a move for a more consistent backup, I still wish Garon would have been offered a contract a couple of years back, unless Budaj puts it together.

For next year I would be open to given this Swiss netminder a shot http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15292

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:49 AM
SAKS AVENUE

If my memory serves me correctly, Cary's game goes into the crapper when he has competition from his back-up. Double edged sword.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:49 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
I'd like to see us draft Charlie Graham late in the next draft. Kid is stuck behind Subban but has been brilliant when called upon (10-5-0-3, 2.56 GAA, .926 SV%).

Might be a nice bargain for where we could get him (5th round and later).

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Usually goalies who play 10-15 games a year are very inconsistent, Budaj hasn't been great but considering the guy has played 2 games in the last 10 months its hard to expect much from him. When you have a guy like Price best thing is to find a backup like Auld/Budaj who will work hard and be a good teammate despite only playing 10-15 games a year.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Usually goalies who play 10-15 games a year are very inconsistent, Budaj hasn't been great but considering the guy has played 2 games in the last 10 months its hard to expect much from him. When you have a guy like Price best thing is to find a backup like Auld/Budaj who will work hard and be a good teammate despite only playing 10-15 games a year.
I really liked Auld, and wished he would have stayed...

Price will play 40 games this year, and it is hard to fault Budaj for not playing well, because of the time lost during the lockout....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:43 AM
RC51

most teams have to put fans in the stands. US teams have fans that love scores not goalies, since goalies don't score. At the draft table this is always the case. 1st round picks are almost never used for a goalie. Yes MTL does this but as I said it's rare thing. MTL does not have to put fans in the seats. Habs have one of the best in Price so now it's lets get a second goalie as good as Price? Ok, well good luck with that. Oh yes I for got, some of you want a second goalie as good as Price but at 1 mil per year. Look Budaj played good not great but good. The loss is NOT his fault. look to White and some goaler interference with 1.5 second to go.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote